What are some of the best runs of all time?

What are some of the best runs of all time?

Not sure if that constitutes a "run" since it was a bunch of different teams.

Morrison Batman is my number one

Grant Morrisons Animal Man

Grant Morrison Doom Patrol

Wolfman and Perez Teen Titans

Mark Waids The Flash vol 2

Grant Morrison and co. JLA

Garth Ennis Hitman

Garth Ennis Preacher

Also James Robinson Starman

Bedard's R.E.B.E.L.S.
Johns' Green Lantern
I'd also say DnA Legion Lost but it's 12 issues long so idk if it counts as a run.

>I'd also say DnA Legion Lost but it's 12 issues long so idk if it counts as a run.

I don't think it counts on its own since they did Legion Worlds too, but it is worth reading for sure.

Bendis and Bagley/Immonen's Ultimate Spider-Man
Palmiotti and Gray's Jonah Hex
Ennis's Punisher MAX

Brubaker's Catwoman

O'Neil's Batman

Ostrander's Suicide Squad

Justice League International.

and that's why I ignore comics

look at that mess, having to aquire all that stuff would be a fucking pain

Walter Simonson's Thor
Frank Miller's Daredevil
Ann Nocenti's Daredevil
TISCHMAN & KORDEY on Cable
Garth Ennis on Hitman
Joe Casey on Adventures of Superman

This is like complaining about having to acquire individual episodes of a TV series when you can binge the whole thing on Netflix or buy the series box set. It's really not hard at all.

Just download. Read the shit and just buy what you like the most.

> Bendis
Nice bait

Simonson - Thor
Byrne - Superman
Claremont - X-Men
Wolfman - Teen Titans
Jack Kirby - Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen
China MiƩville - Dial H

Claremont X-men
John Rogers' Dungeons and Dragons
Brubaker's Captain America
Miller's Daredevil
Waid's Flash
Johns' Flash
Johns Green Lantern

Are you retarded ? Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man was fucking GOAT

I'm just a few issues shy of having all of it. Can't decide if I want to get them custom bound

> GOAT
> greatest of all time

Not even close when it comes to Spider-Man

Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts

JMS Spider-Man
Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four
Mike Grell Green Arrow
Jason Aaron-Scalped
Joshua Dysart-Unknown Soldier

DAMN, what I wouldn't GIVE for Marvel to collect Kordey's Cable run and DC to collect Casey's Superman.

Those need to be on my shelf in beautiful omnis or thick softcovers.

I've been meaning to ask, is 52 a satisfying read if I've read all the material surrounding it?

Moore Swamp Thing is incredible.

Morrison's JLA
Azzarello's 100 Bullets
Ennis' Preacher
Ellis' Planetary
Moore's Swamp Thing (or so I've heard; I've only read first trade so far)
Waid's/ Augustyn's Flash (people always forget to mention Brian Augustyn's name connected to that run)

retroactively terrible meme is still popular in these parts

Morrison Animal Man
Morrison Doom Patrol
Morrison Batman
Ennis Hitman
Miller Daredevil
Moore Swamp Thing

Mos def.

It has everything. Action, intrigue, romance, horror, sci-fi, mysticism, strong character development, realistic and fun dialogue, strong art, and a cool plot payoff at the end. Seriously. Everything. I can't think of a Marvel comic book that parallels it in similar quality.

I was just kind of worried that as a weekly book it may have been low quality and only served to transition into Final Crisis.

I love the concept, I'll check it out.

It's not a continuity-driven book at all, although it does play with and affect continuity in big ways. It's much more character driven with a few separate strands focusing on individuals and you really grow to love them over time.

>low quality and only served to transition into Final Crisis.

that was Countdown

Sounds great.

What are some of the best runs of all time that you somehow do not care for while everyone else does?

I feel like such an obtuse prick for not liking the following:
Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man
Miller's Daredevil (I just don't find the character interesting enough to invest time in reading the run)
Aaron's Scalped (read the first two trades, didn't care about the characters, don't even remember much from them other than I was bored)
Vaughan's Y:The Last Man (lost total interest with characters and the plot after issue 30 or so)
DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy (no thanks to the characters; no appeal for me whatsoever)
Morrison's Batman (I read his run up until halfway through his Incorporated Vol. 1. I adore Morrison, but thought R.I.P. was incoherent even for Morrison and I didn't have much fun with his take on Batman after Black Glove)

I also wish I could see what others see in Robinson's Starman.

Sometimes I wonder what is wrong with me, but if a character is not intrguing to me, I don't care how good the writer is. I'm not jumping on board.

anyone ever notice how all the best runs belong to dc/vertigo? sure marvel has great runs here and there but DC is always the one whose runs are remembered throughout time

Roy Thomas' Savage Sword of Conan run.

DC has always been way better than Marvel. Only Moviefags disagree.

>Miller's Daredevil (I just don't find the character interesting enough to invest time in reading the run)
how far did you get? If you're reading the visionaries or similar collection there are several issues where Miller doesn't write but does the art. Those aren't very good but the quality picks up dramatically once Miller starts writing

DC seems to take more risks as far as hiring aspiring talents and allowing them full creative control to reinvent a character.

A good deal of these legendary runs are by 80s British Invasion writers like Morrison and Moore.

I'm a big DC fan, but this is simply just not true. "Way" better? C'mon now...

Not very far. And yes my first experience was with the Visionaries trade. My main problem, though, is getting over the idea that Daredevil is a Batman knock-off. His costume is red. His personality is boring. How is he different from every other street level character? I've got to get over my preconceived notions.

Daredevil isn't a Batman knock-off, they're both knock-offs of older archetypes

The creation of DD marked the end of Marvel's first big creative boom character-wise and a return to older flatter ideas of superheroes

Try reading Man Without Fear first to get a handle on Matt Murdock's character. He really isn't very much like batman outside of angst and dead parents, and even then the way those are used in DD stories is completely different from how they are used in Batman stories

Yeah. You're right. I've just got this odd irrational apathetic attitude toward DD. When I saw the Miller omnis were back in print, I seriously thought about dumping 100 bucks on IST and dive into them to try to break myself from this thinking.

>What are some of the best runs of all time that you somehow do not care for while everyone else does?
I don't get the hype behind Morrison's JLA. It's a good comic that I don't regret reading but outside of a few issues (and the admittedly great first arc) that's all I ever got out of it. It's a solid team book that makes good use of the DCU but it never did anything half as cool or interesting as his Animal Man

I've got to hop on reading my Animal Man omni. Based off of your JLA comment, I'm glad I read that first before his Animal Man.

Thank you. I think I will. Out of all of DD's plots, MWF sounded the most interesting.

As for other great runs, I enjoyed Millar's Ultimates. Morrison's X-Men as well.

Animal Man is fucking GOAT

Gerber's Man-thing\
Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Spectre

Tell us your GOAT Spider-Man run so we can all call you a faggot for being wrong.

For stuff within the last five years I'm going to have to put Superior Foes

I can't wait for school to be over in a few weeks. I've picked up so many goodies over the last few months, haven't been able to touch them, but am dying to dig into such greatness as Animal Man.

Is the "omnibus" Marvel put out for this worth purchasing on IST or Amazon? I want Marvel to put out a softcover collection.

I actually can't say, I have the tpbs

It's really disappointing everything after Morrison's run is really mediocre. Flesh and Blood is probably the best non-Morrison story-line but it's just echoing Moore's Swamp Thing.

Kellys Deadpool
Gruenwalds Squadron Supreme
Busieks Avengers

Is Casey's Superman really good? I read a few issues and didn't find it interesting.

The original ASM is better than that decompressed snoozefest.

I'm just keen on a pacifist Superman. It's deliciously antithetical in a way that honestly works. It is not for everybody, admittedly.

I completely agree with this. Like yeah Rock of Ages was really cool, but I would never put at as one of the best cape comics ever written like some peopl

Am I alone in thinking that the beginning and end oft hat run were significantly better than the middle?

I don't get the love for Sandman. It's not something I was into and I generally don't care for Neil Gaiman's "high fantasy" genre that permeates his books/writing style

the thing that makes morrison's JLA one of the best cape comics is both contextual and both in the techniques he used to execute it.

context - there was nothing quite like it at the time. the league had turned into something less than what it once was. and while I love it, JLI's comedy approach is partly to blame. so when it came along and did jla as gods, morrison's run was blowing minds at how epic it was

b.) technique-wise, it stems down to two things: BIG moments all the time, and on-the-fly characterization. Morrison rarely took time to do small jla stories, and even then the small ones still felt big. Rather he did on-the-fly character beats that were worked around the action, rather than functioning as breaks between the action. Therefore Morrison could use what is now Scott Snyder's patented technique of go big or go home on the title. The JLA are gods, so they need big, god-like stories all the time and that's what morrison did. every component of each of his stories is huge and has vast implications for the future of everything in the DCU. Nobody else has pulled this off on a justice league run since, at least not right

I think he means more along the lines of having to watch 3-4 different series to understand all the plots for 1 series.

But this is the way comics are now a days, so might as well pull out a spreadsheet and start documenting. At least, that's what I do.

bump

Peter Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix
Peter Milligan on Hellblazer

where do you consider the end as starting? I think once Buddy's family is killed it picks up and keeps up the steam until the end.