Is Swedish easy to learn for English-speakers?

Is Swedish easy to learn for English-speakers?

At a glance, it seems to have pretty similar vocabulary and a grammatical structure which isn't too foreign compared to some other languages. The pronunciation also seems quite soft and easy going.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=USh-6hYJ8YM
sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia
sv.wiktionary.org/wiki/ju
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why do you want to learn Swedish

Also I heard Norvegian was very close to English but I might be wrong

Something about it just looks/sounds cool to me. Norwegian sounds a little bit more harsh and boring, and Danish is difficult to understand because it seems like all the words run together.

Also, Swedes (at least on Sup Forums) tend to be easier to talk to and friendlier in conversation. Norwegians are way more autistic and Danes are pretty rude.

Pretty much every Swedish person speaks fluent English, there's no need to learn that language. Pick a language where the native speakers are incapable of speaking English, like French.

Swedish and Norwegian are both pretty easy to learn at a basic level.

>being this stupid

>The pronunciation also seems quite soft and easy going.
in the south, yes:
youtube.com/watch?v=USh-6hYJ8YM

cunt

>Norwegians are way more autistic and Danes are pretty rude.
Danes strike me as pretty polite here, otherwise correct. We are not much better in real life either.

Anyone I'm going to be talking to will know English to some degree.

I just want to study a second language for fun.

Which would you recommend?

Are southerners the "rednecks" of Sweden?

iæhællormædæminfællæsskændinævær

If you go on Wikipedia and read a Swedish wiki article you can understand about 30% (ME) without studying.
It's easy as fuck. Norwegian is even easier.

>Are southerners the "rednecks" of Sweden?
90% of sweden = "redneck"
the city fags ruin our country.
but yes, the south belonged to denmark and have a diffrent culture from stockholm faggots and we are derided and mocked for it constantly.

Australians of Europe

The only Norwegians I've ever known were two brothers who I played CS with, and when we'd boot up to play games they would barely talk. We'd play for maybe 3-4 hours at a time and they would say maybe a few sentences at the most. They also spoke English to each other so much that they'd forget some Norwegian words. It was really weird.

Scandinavian languages are pretty easy imo, and there was some guy who wrote that english is more scandinavian than west germanic (whether it's true or not, idl, but he at least found evidence and similarities or something).
I don't think the vocabulary is too similar -- english is very french -- but that's not really a big deal.

Accurate depiction of what Danish sounds like to me.

>and we are derided and mocked for it constantly.

Being from West Virginia I know that feel, bro. "Hillbillies" are the butt of most cultural jokes in the USA. If someone has a hillbilly accent they're just assumed to be a 70 IQ trailer park white trash idiot by most Americans.

all you need to know really is that the th-rune ( þ) transformed into a "d" in scandinavian, and "th" in english.

so:

swedish:
därför
english:
therefore

det /that
dem /them/
dessa /these
denna /this
du/ you (thou)
dig /you (thee)

تعطينا سكانيا العودة لك الحيوان القذرة

>tfw live in skåne and meet danish people all the time at the uni but I can't understand a single fucking word they say to me
>I just smile and nod at them anyway

dont bother m8, ive already tried for years

scandis will only respond to you in english and tell you that learning their language is pointless so even if you get a good grasp you will never improve

italian and french are the way to go. both very proud of their languages. the french can be elitist but at least you will improve very quickly because they will constantly correct you. italians are always happy to see someone learning their language and most are happy to help you anyway they can.

scandis, dutchmen, and germs are dick suckers when it comes to their languages.

ud af mit land svenske djævel!

sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia
Read this OP.
Really not that hard to notice what they're saying.

>Being from West Virginia

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

How about Norwegians. Can you understand them?

Seems like the Swedes posting in this thread have been helpful so far, so I guess you're wrong there. Plus, once I get a good grasp I can start the real practice by shitposting in sverigetraden.

Interesting. It's a lot easier to read than I had anticipated. Any suggestions for lessons or reading materials?

>living in a country where you can go to jail for spitting chewing gum on the sidewalk

Literally just get a beginner book, add all the vocab within sentence examples into Anki, memorize the first 1000-3000 words and start reading either Wiki or other websites.
That is literally how i wen't about getting to an intermediate level in Japanese, and it took me 6 months.
Swedish is much easier, probably 10x easier. If you do this with Swedish for 6 months as well as listen to the language you'll be near fluent.

Det är mitt land nu, preben.

Also, learn how to read a Swedish dictionary. Swedish -> Swedish dictionary.
When you see a word you don't know while reading, just look it up and then add it to Anki. Rinse and repeat until you hit 10000 cards. Fluency.

>How about Norwegians. Can you understand them?
see, in norway/sweden we have tons of diffrent accents, it all depends on the accent one speaks. There are places in sweden where i can't understand swedes. I went to värmland recently being from skåne and had a hard time understanding them. Further north it would be impossible. jämska is the swedish dialect closes to "general norweigan".
"general norweigan" (tv norweigan) and "rixsvenska" (kingdom swedish) are pretty easy to understand.
hell, me personally, i don't even have that big off a problem with clean spoken danish dialects.

fuck off s*ede
skåne+danmark forever

Never studied Swedish but know that he said "This is my land/country" at first. I don't know what "nu, preben" is but i can guess it's like "retard" or something.
See how easy it is?

Why not Esperanto?

I wouldn't say i understand all norwegians, it depends on how fast they talk and wheteher or not they have fucked up accents. But it a hundred times easier than danish for sure. For me it takes a little while to adjust to their way of speaking when i meet one but then I understand them fluently.

nu = now
preben = common dnaish name

Thanks for the tips man I appreciate it.

Nu probably means "now"

Been there, done that. I did some lernu.net lessons and posted on the forum and will never go back. I don't want to study a shitty sounding/looking language created by globalist jews. I'd rather talk to Stockholm cucks who take Somali dick on a daily basis than have to speak with one Esperantist for 5 minutes. They are seriously insufferable, idealistic people. Imagine general redditors + undertale fanboys. That's your typical Esperantist.

Sup Forumsacks meed to go back

Can a swede help me out with how to use the word "ju"? It just seems thrown into sentences sometimes.

ju är en fucking lief

If we aren't squeamish and are prepared to to kill people we can get this back when Sweden collapses.

>Norwegian sounds a little bit more harsh and boring

>assblasted bönder in every thread
kek

jag kan språka svenska jättebra :D

he's an ameribrainlet who doesn't know that both norwegian and swedish have dozens of dialects that all sounds sound different

Alla dör ju i slutet

Everyone dies in the end

sv.wiktionary.org/wiki/ju

Easy to pick up, difficult to master (in some aspects).

t. Scandinavian > English translator

It'll be better than learning Dutch, which is apparently the easiest language to learn if you're a native English speaker.

That is simply false.
Objectively speaking, i think it's the same range as the Scandinavian languages. Just dutch sounds like horse shit.

hard to explain, it's kind of used to emphasize that the fact you mentioned should be obvious (don't take it too literally) to the person you're talking to

it's just an extra affermative. could be thought of as a yes, almost. "yes, everyone dies in the end".
it's honestly completely unnecessary in any conversation, just a filler word.

think of brittish english "everyone dies in the en, yeh", or canadian "everyone dies in the end, eh?"

dutch literally sounds like midwestern american english.

Midwestern American English doesn't have that god forsaken throat sound.

Cheers lads.

Most of the time it is not important to the context of a sentence. I think that the easiest way to understand it is to write/speak with others and pick it up from the contxt they use it.

It is, took me 6-7 months to get the basics.
Moved from Cal to Stockholm two years ago.
The biggest problem is pronunciation for me.
And the fact that Swede's tend to switch to English the second you have any issue while talking. I need my training dammit.

fuck of back to california you liberal cuck.

Dit fede svin

Swedish is probably the easiest language to learn in the world.

Is it true

hanrej = cuck

What caused it... :3

pee = kiss
poison = gift
six = sex

is it like wel in dutch

this