Costume analysis Thread

can we have one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6oKbX4pVGp8
youtu.be/eG1Jn8Acqjg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anyone have anything to say on hercules?

I like it.
Shame the travesties they keep putting him in, sometimes artists just need to accept that they're not going to do much justice to a pretty solid concept.
I guess I shouldn't say don't try, but they could atleast know when to back the fuck down.

Herc's pretty much perfect as-is. There's no good reason to go meddling with his design.

I've never liked her costume and I'm not sure why.

anyone else wanna contribute costumes?

anyway, opinions on this fucker?

Perfection

There's not really much to it. she has a leotard, a cape, and a head-thingy. she has two shades of red. she has no symbol, she has no real distinctive silhouette. its like the costume you whip up for a show-within-a-show and you don't want to bother giving the character any identity besides "Superhero"

any idea who drew that?

>Symbiote
>Terry McGinnis
>Superman Beyond
>Pic related

Are minimalist black costumes always the best?

black looks good on everyone. there's a reason why every trending color is called "the new black"

literally no color
swimsuit on top of spandex
awkward headpiece

i get shes the SCARLET witch but that doesnt mean she cant get some black or something in it to break it up

theres also no play up of the "witch" aspect

and the head thing could work if the did something like a tiara or something, but its like a half cowl or something most of the time and it just ends up looking weird

>Texas Twister
>no cowboy boots with spurs and shit

has anyone tried putting her in a witch hat?
also, what do you think of her evolution design?

does anyone care enough about Mightor to have an opinion on his design?

Probably should have red boots.
Or possibly white.
Feel like there should be more white.

I love her main one (the last one ion that pic).

It's simple, but it conveys the witchiness and her damaged but aggressive nature.

As with her MCU outfits, trading the pink for black was probably the biggest improvement. It makes her look less delicate/motherly and more occult/dangerous.

Atom Eve? does her costume just scream "Girl" to loud?

That looks like it's just a cowboy outfit shrunk down to ridiculously tight so that the artist didn't have to deal with how fabric hangs off the body.

Thought that was cave batman.

WAY too much pink.

Any opinions on Marvel Conan? a bit "generic barbarian", but the same way GA Supes is 'Generic superhero"
What do you think about touches like the necklace, bracelets, and hairstyle?

I love both of these equally. Any one have some more detailed thoughts on them?

how would you color it?
also, PG is Iconic. her costume shows off femininity (Tit window) and touches like the half-cape and gloves really give her a distinct design from the rest of the Superman family. There's no real color that goes too long unbroken; generally a good costume.

youtube.com/watch?v=6oKbX4pVGp8

how can we make him not look retarded?

Made her look a hell of a lot more witch-like. Also, more mentally disturbed than the classic look, which is what the show was going for.

That's a girl? Whoops, I must have accidentally missed some of the female coding on that costume.

Go crazier, exagarate things.
just make im a mass of limbs coming from a torso with a floating head.
I think I'd go fro greater contrast either white or a near white pink. Alter her logo, the v transitions into a circle with an atom symbol. If they're that dead set on having the venus symbol simply extend the circle containing the symbol into the full t.
Though really I don't think I like red heads in pink anyways.

would it be better if a QT twink was in that costume?

which was best and why?

>no Marvel NOW!, Superior and ANAD armors in the pic

I think this redesign a drawfriend did of Wolverine's costume is pretty cool.

My like of Spider-woman's classic costume is borderline hypothetical since I like the costume but only when drawn right and I can only find like two or three instances of it being drawn right.
Reminds me of Wolverine's Evolution costume.

That was the idea, actually.

That pose is familiar to me.

youtu.be/eG1Jn8Acqjg

Rank 'em.

middle is worst, obviously

I'd like the 5th design best if it had some red and white stripes.

Extremis is the best of the bunch and it's all been downhill from there.

I have a soft spot for the Ultimate Iron Man armor because of how drastically different it was. You take one look at the guy and it's obvious that he's from a different, more grounded universe.

Still can't believe how silly he looked in Avengers. The other costumes made for combat look like military gear.

somehow the far left looks better than the Avengers version and that's a joke costume

Pretty decent tier
>Replica WW2 suit
>WW2 suit
Pretty Okay tier
>Super Soldier suit
>Ghetto suit
Close but you fucked it up tier
>Avengers 1 suit
How were you not stopped tier
>Avengers 2 suit
It's not supposed to be good tier
>Classic Costume Parody

>AoU worse than Avengers

eh?

Avengers could've been salvaged by some common sense.
It's bad but AoU is a bunch of fucktered ideas for no reasonSeriously octogonal American stripes which extend past the blue except the central one which doesn't even finish the white?

I actually like her new costume, it breaks the red, the jewelry and weird patterns on the tiara do a good job at integrating her gipsy origins in the design, and while she's still not exactly all that "witchy" she also doesn't look like a random cape-girl

Shame the book is mediocre at best after issue 2, and most artists for some reason forget about the redesign and just give her the red coat again

#2 is forever and always the best, followed by #5.

This design is boss as fuck. Its perfect. Its exactly what a child who can turn into a superhero should look like. Its bold, and colorful. The cape is unique and gives it a more mystical feeling, as well as balancing the colors out. The New 52 design is cool and all but not nearly as well designed.

I love the both of these but the one on the right which was in the Ellis run? That had a great effect. The suit fits him but its not perfect and modern like for example the cover of Grayson where he is in the Bond-esque presentation. It also conjures up imagery of a straitjacket which suits the book perfectly. The solid white and the occasional silhouette is used to juxtapose Moon Knight to the rest panel. He is also completely covered so you end up having a guy with not discernable traits to give you any indication as to who he is. Love it.

This was what I thought of straight away. Scary, grotesque but all being very neutral and very Stoic.

>a bit "generic barbarian", but the same way GA Supes is 'Generic superhero"

That's pretty close to my thoughts; he is the archetypal Barbarian that anyone would think of when asked. It would be exceedingly difficult to improve on the design, as he has taken on many roles in life: Warrior, thief, adventurer, pirate, general, king, (and in What if? pimp and gang leader, no kidding.) With his eclectic and careworn accessories (notice he almost always wears furry boots, a fur loincloth, bracers, a necklace/fur cloak combo, and earrings, but it's never a set of distinctive accessories) it seems like there should be a story behind how he acquired them.

Overall, Schwarzenegger aside this is THE look for Conan, hands down.

AoU
TWS
CW
WWII
Improvised costume
Stage show
Avengers

Tried to do a Falcon based on those notes. The color scheme is the hardest part to figure out.

3 and 9 make him look like a Captain Mexico/Italy

For me Orange and Green are the only color combo thay can work with Aquaman everything else just looks wrong

21 was just right. The shoulders that spike a little over the top were perfect additions and his chest should be one simple glowing circle. I hate those stupid glowing dots they like to cover him in now.

I like the skirt, but it could be a little more Greek. Something more hoplite-y makes him immediately stand out as something from the ancient world. The lion on the belt works, but again, something a little more stylized and ancient-looking would suit.

The thigh-high strappy sandals are kinda weird, but iconic, and Herc probably likes the attention to his thighs.

The weirdest thing about Aquamans costume is how damn great it looks on a woman, just look at the female version in Multiversity. But as a male costume it can never really be more than just okay. Shame really.

Thoughts on Zatanna's costume, just for fun?

I'm just realizing how much more Aquawoman would contribute to the League dynamic than Aquamans too. As a man he's just another Superman/MartianManhunter with a more regal bearing. As a woman shed be a great counter to Wonder Woman, as they're both similar but with very different attitudes and outlooks. They would both share a sense of honor, pride and zest for the warrior life but Aquawoman would be stern and aloof were Diana is warm and compassionate. I see them as great friends, balancing out the Superman/Batman dup dynamic, but like Supes and Bats could also very easily butt heads over their different approach and, uniquely, conflicting loyalties since they both remain uniquely attached to their homelands on a team of otherwise orphans.

I keep saying this but no-one seems to agree, but cyborg would look a million times better with artificial muscles rather than big clunky metal plates

That one in particular needs more black but her design is top tear. Coattails are essential though, and her hat should never be far away.

How do you feel about Zee's first nu52 outfit?

I think he works best when he has some artificial muscle visible under the metal plates. If you're not going full Teen Titans iCyborg, matte black/grey honeycomb carbon fiber plates over artificial muscles is a good look. In your pic, his legs make him look like a goddamn cyborg, but his arms are still too "human in armor". And the big red bindi has always been dumb, make him bald, keep the left eye an emotionless lens, and clear up the clutter on the right side of the face to make things show through better.

Nothing about that says "magician". Long sleeves, cuffs, bowtie, and top hat all scream "stage magician", which is a big part of her character. That outfit is just "any girl who shops at hot topic, only the girl is actually attractive".

I always liked it...

If Peeg ever gets relevant in comics again, or if god forbid we see her in S2 of Supergirl then this is the outfit I'd like to see her have.

I've always been of the opinion that "practical" outfits are for practical or street level heroes. If Star Sapphire wants to romp around the galaxy in 6 in stillettos, then I'm not gonna stop her, but it's kinda weird for Huntress to be climbing fire escapes in stripper boots.

This image came up in a Sup Forums redesigns thread and it's based on several different things. The main body is designed like a female powerlifter's uniform, hugging her form but also being functional. If you've ever seen Samantha Wright in action, you know what I'm talking about. The boots and gloves are similar to a pro wrestler's ring gear, hearkening back to Supe's original uniform and bringing the inspiration into the present day. The one shoulder pauldron/strap also has a purpose: shifting the eyes that are immediately drawn to the boob window into looking at the regal cape draped over one shoulder. It shows that she is a person of importance and stature from just a glance.

I'm suprised that with the recent focus on women weightlifting and fitness that we haven't seen more outfits that display feminine power.

God, even the star is off center. How was nobody fired over this?

The first ones still my favorite because it makes him look less like a soldier and more like an icon.

The guy who designed it got killed and relegated to an extended universe TV-show on ABC.

Seriously though, if it wasn't for that line from Coulson that he designed it to be based on the theatre one, there'd be no excuse.

the necklace was something his mom made for him, that he eventually gave to a barbarian he respected from some other culture. and peaking of What If, what does everyone think of his 80's gangster look?

What about covering some skin and using the colour scheme of a Falcon? Maybe yeellow, gray and black.

Don't agree with some of this.
The white triangle does make him look faster, like it's trailing behind him. I agree his costume isn't very good, though.
Taskmaster's cape and his big white boots and gloves and his outside-underwear make him look like he could be a good guy, which kinda brings around his copy-cat thing. Then his scary over-detailed skull mask makes sure you know he's actually a villain.
It works. I don't know how his crazy thigh-high sandals manage it, but they work, too.
I've always liked her "head thingy" and her leotard echoes it's shape. I feel like the answer is either in her gloves and boots or in her pink spandex.
Shouts cowboy at you. I feel like it'd look better if it was drawn as normal clothes instead of faux spandex. Tone down the colors while you're at it.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but you're still kind of a faggot.

I think it's hard to do the orange and green, which makes people think it's bad. Then they take away the orange, but that's what makes him pop.
They don't need to both be women to have that dynamic. DC should do more with them together. Fightin' bricks who are royalty from lost mythic civilizations. They could share Queen Clea as a villain.

I like yellow petticoat but wish it had a black tie

One reason, I forgot to add, for liking her head thingy is because it reminds me of Maleficent's.

>with red boots the Rebirth Superman costume would've been a perfect 10/10
JUST
U
S
T

She's basically dressed like a red Zatanna. Making the colors all red loses the magician theme, which makes it... a playgirl bunny uniform. There's nothing to her costume.

The headdress I think is fine, as is the cape, but the body does nothing but make her look somewhat slutty.

These were awesome and it's a shame they'll never be used.

classic Thor?

So here's Harley's SECOND New 52 design. I don't think anyone actually liked the first. This one still has endless tiny variations, but the core design elements are all here in this image.

So this costume seems to almost assume a familiarity with her original design. She's got pigtails resembling her jester cap and a black and red checkered costume split down the center (pigtails are also good because Harley is childish). Without knowing her original design, what about her design evokes any sort of clown-esque theme? Her face is white, but you can see that all her skin is now. Harley's theme was based around the Joker, but now she's some sort of black (or blue) and red stripper in a corset and short shorts. She doesn't really have a theme any more.

She still has diamonds on her costume, but much more sparingly placed and makes it look like a sort of logo for her rather than evoking the diamond patterns of harlequin outfits. You could still relate the diamonds back to suits of cards, like the Joker. The Harley Quinn title logo actually has all four suits of cards in it. Instead, Amanda Connor put stars on her costume. If any other symbol were to be added, it should be a heart since it matches the sort of character she is and gives the suggestion of a card theme.

The white skin honestly bothers me a lot. Whereas Joker is generally covered up to his neck, his white skin does resemble clown makeup. With Harley it's immediately apparent she's just white-skinned. The new origin feels too derivative of the Joker, and considering Joker's turning point was falling into the vat of chemicals that bleached his skin and made him go off the deep end, it seems a bit inappropriate for Harley, a more human and potentially redeemable character than the Joker, to be bleached like he is.

Having her go blonde again was a good decision. "Dumb blonde" is a common archetype that suits Harley well, and makes her pigtails seem like less of an extension of her costume.

5, 3, 2, 6, 7, 1, 4

The flared boots are a little much.

The circles on the crotch tunic are awkwardly broken by the belt, it works better if they're integrated.

The wrist bands bleed in to the cape.

Bryan Hitch's version was perhaps a little too simplified, but by placing emphasis on a larger, more unique version of Mjolnir it made the hammer in to the character that Thor happens to be attached to.

The Ultimate costume with a cape and 616 Mjolnir is a great look. The movies come close but the texture is all wrong and looks like plastic and too busy.

It's ok, but it's not really a costume. I agree with most of your analysis.

Boots are ridiculous, helmet looks cheap, but otherwise it's a solid design that actually works with exposed arms exuding strength. The circles on the crotch area bother me, however.

There's not much I'd do to alter a Batman costume for its prime continuity, but if I could do an Elseworlds?

I've always liked an urban legend approach, but I've lamented since I was like 12 if they're going to do that, why not go whole hog and make "The Bat-Man of Gotham" an actual Jersey Devil style cryptid? Or even better, have that cryptid exist before Bruce takes on the identity. Mysterious sightings of some Mothman-esque creature since the 1830s, super tourist trappy paraphernilia sold at newspaper booths, postcards with an artist's rendition of the mysterious creature, that sort of thing. It'd let Batman be campy AND supernatural/occult horror simultaneously. Give him a full mask to wear, maybe fake wing shaped cape or maybe prosthetics? He's from a family of doctors who own a megacorp with military projects, maybe the wings are based off of prosthetics tech used for veterans. A freaky silhouette that you can't just say "a man in a suit" so Gotham can get excited for Bat-Man sightings that are actually just some trashcan lids taped together and launched into the air

Bruce Wayne being in tabloids constantly in the woods because he's trying to capture live footage of the Bat-Man also makes for a hilarious way to keep his secret from being blown. Who'd suspect Spider-man is actually J. Jonah Jameson?

I really like the original Cyborg design. You can clearly see where the man ends and the robotic parts begin. Other versions tend to cover up too much skin.

the leotard immediately into metalic parts makes me uncomfortable.

The boots are too eye-catching, the helmet looks cheap, the wristbands are just there without really doing anything and the circles on his torso make very little sense.

I kind of like the more historical accurate direction they've taken his costume in since he became Odinsson. The top (or lack therefore) could be reworked to look better but I like the general idea of that outfit.

I liked Haz's suit. I miss it.

It's kind of the point in further versions, as he kept becoming more machine than man.
On the other hand his costume should probably reflect his strong desire to mantain his humanity. I can't quite think of a way for the character to do so, though.

Extremis is GOAT

Ultimate mjolnir looks so much cooler.

The look is cool but it looks high tech which really takes away from the magical nature of Thor. It works great in the Ultimates of course cause doubt about his magical nature was a crucial to the character and storyline, but outside of that I don't think it's right for Thor.

6 is my favorite.

Which of her costumes?

Personally, the weakest one is the Grant Morrison came up with, because it was literally nothing but references to her previous books, and Cass is not a person who focuses on the past.

Reminds me of this.

I went and grabbed the picture. Seriously, it's crazy how much better that design works on a woman. Nu52 Supermans all blue look also seems to serve a lady better than a man.
This is true, but it plays stronger with both of them female and does more to balance out the team dynamic.