Terminator

Anyone on here old enough to remember when Terminator 2 came out in the cinemas? I've always wondered how much of a surprise effect it really was when Arnold turned out to be the good guy. I mean, the way it was set up, it was pretty much a giveaway that Arnie was gonna be the good guy. Was there a genuine element of surprise to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vygQZ9hYqyE
youtube.com/watch?v=OeBtcFvOPU0
youtu.be/7AensT8ntoY
youtu.be/hTWKbfoikeg
youtu.be/Yh8qd0VKPAE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Saw it in the drive in. The trailers gave it away mostly. Everyone already knew.

The T-1000s capabilities and resiliency was the surprise for me.

I think my dad spoiled it for me but I remember being surprised as a child.

And I totally cried at the end too.

If you saw this movie as a kid and you didn't cry when Arnie got submerged in the molten steel you have no heart.

I remember being really surprised when he said "GEHT DOUHN" and then the police guy was a liquid metal terminator

This movie is all the kids at school would talk about for months after it came out. The T800 toy without skin was the coolest shit ever. Too bad the articulation in its arms went limp after a short while. It had two bands of rubber on the side, so he'd punch when you twisted his torso.

Ancientfag here.

Everyone knew. It was on fast food cups with Arnie protecting the kid. I remember thinking it ruined the surprise, even then.

>I order you not to go! I ORDER YOU NOT TO GO!
>I know now why you cry, but it's something I can never do.

;_;

Fuck yeah I remember. I also remember not quite getting it because i never saw the first one.

This to me is the best action moment of all time. It's so simple yet so powerful. Just him walking over while they are driving, kneeling on the hood and then unloading in the T-1000's face. No quick cuts, no zoom-ins, no shaky cam, no CGI. Just a smooth shot of him walking over and then the shooting. Perfection.

Too bad Cameron ruined it like that. It could have been such a big surprise. From what I understand Arnold was already planning to go into politics at that time.

The trailers were literally all about "now he's here to protect" not just showing it but outright spelling it out so that you definitely get it.

Was it really Cameron? Usually the studio and marketing decide such things. Nowadays Cameron has pretty much complete say over everything but back then?

It was absolutely no surprise at all, because the Guns n' Roses music video showed everything and was playing on MTV constantly for weeks before the film's release.
I was there at the time.

This. the first one was almost 10 yrs old at the time. It was shown the whole time as him being good. The LA river scene. The liquid metal (T-1000) into the helicopter. GnR video when they were the biggest band on the planet. MTV movies awards when it was relevant. Hell of a time to be a kid

>lion roars
I must have watched that DVD extra a dozen times.
LEEEEEEEEAVE YOU LYYYYYYING ON THE BEEEEEDah

The T-800 coming out of the bar, taking a guy's sunglasses and then tearing away on a Harley while ' Bad to the Bone' is playing? Compare that to the original. It could have been such a nice plot twist.

youtu.be/vygQZ9hYqyE
Still fucking bad ass

I was 13 years old and from the trailers, T2 was one of those movies you couldn't believe was actually happening. Jurassic Park, and The Phantom Menace were also like that. I think the most recent example was probably the announcement for the new Star Wars trilogy, and Prometheus.

I put so much money in this game at the arcades. Pinballs too. Michael Biehn 'recovering' from alcohol: youtube.com/watch?v=OeBtcFvOPU0

i wasn't surprised at all, but i also didn't watch terminator before i watched terminator 2. a lot of us only saw the first one because it was in a video store and we said "oh hey the first terminator, i haven't seen that and t2 was really good, i'll try it out"

One time I smoked a lot of weed, and forced myself to forge the plot. My jaw dropped for the floor when the reveal came.

Btw, the plot that Arnold was the good guy was ruined by marketing before the movie released

remember the arcade machine where you fired uzis at T800s? it was crap but there were always people playing it

YOU

COULD

BE

MY

EEEEEEEEE

IIIIIIINE

I saw the 2nd one before I saw the first one. I remember my father promising me he would tape it for me. back in the days of VHS. He botched it so I only got half of the movie. Next day over breakfast he told me all about what happened after the recording had stopped. The week after I went with my mother to the video store. It was another life altering movie.

Do Arnold do this stunt himself?

It was in the trailer. But then you wouldn't see that unless you saw it at the cinema and the internet just didnt exist then anyway.

I think I found out at school by one of the other kids. (he had seen it) I was probably about 13.

It was still pretty surpiseing. Plyaed up by the fact that the T1000 seems relatable when asking about jon "hes a good looking boy " etc when he is speaking to Todd etc

I was only 4 when it came out, so I can't say I remember such things.

Of course not. James Cameron does though.

BUT YOU'RE WAY OUT OF LINEEEEE

If a terminator can learn the value of human life..maybe we can too

Damn

>2016 was the first year he didn't do a film since 2004 and he's regularly done five films a year

wew, i thought he was literally a hobo

Fuckin' brutal. I watched this as an eight year old. It's not Paul Verhoeven, but fuck me. Still impressive.

I miss old Cameron. He's still an incredibly talented director but Avatar just lacks grit and I'm afraid the sequels will be like that as well.

I was one year old so no.

Friendly reminder that the helicopter flying under the overpass right around this scene was literally a helicopter flying under an overpass. No miniatures, no cgi/green screen shit, just a talented pilot performing a crazy stunt for a shot that's over in about three seconds. This is why James Cameron is the king of blockbusters.

now wondering who the fuck where these guys?
I only noticed in the blu ray version.

I watched the first movie in the theaters with my father.

>I've always wondered how much of a surprise effect it really was when Arnold turned out to be the good guy.

There was no surprise, it was shown to everyone in the trailers. That plus merchandising was based around Arnie being the hero. That was all people were talking about really.

That's a different timeline. Cameron showed us this to let us know that this chase scene was happening in several timelines and that people can look a bit different in different timelines. Truly a genius way ahead of his time.

Avatar get's no love from me. It was a sad day when Stan Winston died.

At the time I wasn't even aware there was a Terminator 1 and only knew this as a movie about a cool robot from the future sent back to help a kid fight an evil robot. Was more of a shock to me when I later found out Arnold was evil in the first one to be honest.

yeah same here, especially considering how willing Sarah Connor was to trust the arniebot in T2 after it tried so hard to kill her that she went to the crazy house

Peter Kent

>Was more of a shock to me when I later found out Arnold was evil in the first one to be honest.
This desu.

How many left arms was he supposed to have

I was more partial to the game where you gotta save Aerosmith and your machine gun could shoot exploding CD's.

They originally didn't want Arnold shown as the hero in the trailers before T2 came out.

But then greedy Jews decided against it because they wanted to pull a bigger audience

>willing to trust

What? She tried to destroy his CPU while he was offline but John intervened at the last second telling her that he's okay.

In this scene he has 3 arms.

Haha that dog uses math to get his stick through

I think that was cut in the original cut.

The director's cut is the definitive version.

shit man, i thought this game was a dream or something, only saw it a couple of times as a kid but it made a strong impression. Don't know for sure but i think you start on a strip club or something.

Even if you went in completely blind, you should have been able to tell since Arnie doesn't slaughter all those bikers for whatever reason.

OP, saw T2 back in 1991 when I was 13 and they never hid the fact that Arnold was the hero of the film. It was and still is the best cinematic experience of my life. Completely blew away my expectations and still holds up today as one of the best sequel ever made!!!FACT!!! youtu.be/vygQZ9hYqyE

oh man i remember when street fighter 2 came out for the SNES and it was pretty much as good as the arcade version, and i was like "finally we can play arcade-quality games at home again" because NES ports of arcade games were starting to look like trash

but then ports of this and Pit-Fighter came out and it was like "crap nevermind"

see thisand even still, one throwaway scene where she's convinced to put her life in the hands of a killer robot from the future by a stupid gullible kid? her character was not reacting appropriately considering what she'd been through.

Or she realized that the robot would have had many chances to kill them both at this point yet didn't.

>Hell of a time to be a kid

It was the best time. Everything great about the 80's mixed with the youthful optimism of the oncoming millennium and emerging technology. How stupid and naïve I was to hope for a better world.......!!!FACT!!!youtu.be/7AensT8ntoY

Brother, I know how you feel!!!FACT!!! youtu.be/hTWKbfoikeg

;_;

>oh man i remember when street fighter 2 came out for the SNES and it was pretty much as good as the arcade version
Shit dude, I remember that the first level of Robocop Vs. Terminator on SNES was the first level of the Terminator arcade game. If you had a Mariopaint mouse or Superscope shit was as fun as the arcade.

FUCK CAMERON, I WANT PAUL VERHOVEN GIVEN A 200 MILLION DOLLAR BUDGET TO MAKE SOME GLORIOUSLY VIOLENT SCI-FI ACTION MOVIE!!!FACT!!! youtu.be/Yh8qd0VKPAE

Hate the Director's cut just like with ALIENS. I prefer Cameron's theatrical cuts which feel leaner which is why The Terminator is his purest film!!!FACT!!!

>Robocop Vs. Terminator on SNES was the first level of the Terminator arcade game.
how can you tell? the first level of T2 is just some rando bombed out city

>you should have been able to tell since Arnie doesn't slaughter all those bikers for whatever reason.
why didn't he kill them? At that point he didn't had John Connors orders to not kill people, remember when he wanted to headshot that long haired dude after John made a scene?

So why didn't he kill the Bikers?

Was it to not trigger police response?
But why attempting to try and murder this dude later when they wanted to flee from the T1000 and stay low key?

So why was Arnold not killing the Bikers?

What the fuck is wrong with you

>Terminator 2 play doh set

I remember asking Santa for it, but never got it. Now it's forever the one that got away...

holy shit this is awesome.
I wish I had that.

because I've played both.

also blew my mind when I found out about T2 videogames.

pic related was fucking hard.

looks more like clark kent

>that fucking truck chase level in the storm drain with the instant kill gates that you need lightning reflexes to shoot open

JUST

yeah me too, but RvT's first level is an unspecified city, probably detroit, and T2's first level is just some bombed out city crawling with T800s. unless there's some sort of landmark present in both stages i don't see how you make that connection

Always wanted that set.

I did used to have the 10" or 12" talking Arnold figure from T2.

>I've always wondered how much of a surprise effect it really was when Arnold turned out to be the good guy.

the spoiled that in the marketing

Game Genie was made for shit like this.

>What? She tried to destroy his CPU while he was offline but John intervened at the last second telling her that he's okay.

Had Uncle Bob run a test? Was he perfect?

Maaaybe I'm confusing it for some other Terminator game. But I distinctly remember a game on SNES that started with the first level of the Terminator arcade shooter, before switching to a more traditional sidescrolling platform game.

Every trailer and commercial spoiled it

maybe you're thinking of after robocop links to skynet and wakes up in the future

Maybe, haven't played those games since they came out. Could easily be remembering things wrong.

joke kino

Was 13 or so. Was such an epic movie. Good gunners song too.

Fact.

He got fukken waxed with the AR, dude!

Fuck dude I wanted to smash the glass and steal the little T-800 skull

>where

YOU WERE IN A MOVIE?

Mate that was only 1991 for fucks sake. How young are you cunts?

30 years old
I was only 4 in 1991

I was 2 when this movie came out. Born in '88

not so fun fact: that pilot later died in a helicopter crash

Some helicopter pilots are harder to kill. Jan-Michael Vincent.