Serious question. Not Sup Forums either. It occured to me after the GiTS movie...

Serious question. Not Sup Forums either. It occured to me after the GiTS movie. Why do people get so bootyblasted over anime characters being cast as white for movie adaptations when most anime characters are from casts of clearly diverse backrounds? For fucks sake, Asians don't have blonde hair or live in a Germanic setting, look at what they did to FMA. Jotaro Kujo is half white, but full asian in the shitty movie. Same goes for those horrid Death Note movies. Fuck even DBZ is a perfect example of this

>Goku has big round eyes, peach colored skin, is a foot taller than 90% of the cast
>Raditz and Vegeta both have deep widows peaks, something not found in Asian men unless they inherit a recessive gene for it (google widows peak asian men if you don't believe me)
>Several characters straight up have blue eyes and blonde hair
>World has all races, black to native american to asian
>Even if the saiyans aren't from Earth, there are saiyans that look Asian as fuck like Cabba. See pic related

Is it just a marketing thing? Or is it really that offensive to cast characters based on how they look/are drawn

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The majority of people who got pissed about GitS had no knowledge of the property. The opening text in the fucking 1995 movie alone alludes to technology erasing things like race and nations.

But hey, internet warriors need something to be outraged about every afternoon.

Is it because of the names? Names like Makoto and Hideo are clearly asian

Saiyan's are Toriyama's commentary on Americans. Their names are English puns, they have huge appetites, and Vegeta has a nuclear bomb as his super attack.

So lets cast Shaneeeeqwa as Jane Excalibur since that's the equivalent to Motoko Kusanagi

Draw a stick figure.
White people see it as a white man
Asians see it as an asian man
Blacks see it as a black man

To the japanese, these characters appear japanese. The end, stop making these threads, stop asking this question. This is the end all answer, because if you diagree you are wrong, just keep re reading the top four lines

Except it nots a plain stick figure you fool.

More like
>Draw a cartoon character with traits that only certain races posess like blonde hair and giant round blue eyes
>Now draw a european setting around them and name the character Alphonse Elric
>I..ITS ASIAN I SWEAR

FTFY

Except for the fact that character is specifically called european.

That is objectively incorrect.
youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc

>Implying its this simple
>When characters are drawn with diverse feature

Damn look at these asians!

Forgot pic

>To the japanese, these characters appear japanese

Commander Black would like a word

>Same goes for those horrid Death Note movies.

No matter how you look at it, Death Note is clearly 100% set in japan

I don't see how DBZ is a perfect example of the characters being white, but okay.
>Goku has big round eyes, peach colored skin, is a foot taller than 90% of the cast
Yea, you're just stereotyping here. There is probably some actor from Asia's industry that could portray Goku and meet these characteristics.

Also your basis on separating Vegeta as white is only because of his widow's peak. But he's also short, has slanty eyes (goku has them as well when he wants to look menacing), if we're going by your logic of stereotyping.

For FMA, yes. MC is white.

>Or is it really that offensive to cast characters based on how they look/are drawn
No, it isn't. Does Scarjo look like Motoko? Why is Gal Godot WW?

5/10 got me to reply.

No.

Explain why every dragon quest protag looks like goku then. The angry eyes arent the same as the asian eyes you fuck wit. For fucks sake there are actul asians ton compare goku to in the show and Goku looks more like the white characters

Japanese people have a fetish for European features though.

Goku, unlike Bulma and he others, is not Japanese. He is Chinese. Not even joking, he is Chinese.

>making live action anime movies
Literally why?

A style of the animation that they attributed to their main character so he would look handsome. A fetishization of western appearances.

There's no denying Goku has white features. And that's why its almost impossible to cast him. Because there's such an association with him being asian, yet his look and fit are a crossbreed between two races.

I don't even know anymore..
Go ask Toriyama what he intended

No, it's a stick figure. You fucking idiot.

He's based off of a chinese mythological character but saiyans aren't chinese.