The Leftovers

Spoiler: Did she kill herself, and if so,
why?

Other urls found in this thread:

ibb.co/mUsSOF
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

great episode, was overshadowed by shit peaks

Agreed, Emmy caliber performance by ol' Laurie in this one imo. Hopefully your Twin Peaks comment doesn't overshadow my goddamn thread if it picks up any steam

Also wondering the same.

And why was Nora such a bitch in this episode? I mean she's always been stand-offish but she was a next level cunt here.

I think the point is we don't really know.

They're really trying to go over the top with the Biblical references.

Yes, she did. It was built up too much to be a fake out. She attempted at the beginning of the episode. And then Nora's scubacide comment, and then Michael's Judas comment. "We're all gone" - she might as well still be in the GR because she has nothing that she really cares about.

suicide it's a suicide

The episode seems to suggest she might have done what she might have done because of her grief immediately after the SD, what with losing her baby and not being able to help her patients, which both led her to join the GR. Doesn't seem to me to hold water now though. She's back in her daughter's life and has a new husband, everything might end in a day anyway, and NOW she decides to punch her ticket, effectively abandoning her family for a second time? It doesn't seem to fit with her arc.

Maybe Nora is a bit ass chapped after being BTFO by Kevin last week?

Major goof in this episode and in Ep 3 of this season - those dog pills wouldn't have knocked anyone out. They were basically Advil for dogs.
ibb.co/mUsSOF

Laurie killed herself. Probably the "best" (meaning least painful/traumatic) way to die while scuba diving is to descend to a depth of over 200 feet while breathing air. The partial pressure of the oxygen in the air tank actually becomes toxic at this depth, eventually causing seizure and death. As you descend, the partial pressure of oxygen (which is basically the components of the gas - it still just feels like you are breathing air) increases due to the atmospheric pressure of the water. The partial pressure of nitrogen also increases with descent. There is a condition known as "nitrogen narcosis" which has similar pleasant effects to breathing nitrous oxide ("laughing gas"). The effect of nitrogen narcosis is gradual and divers often don't realize it when they are "narc'ed". Someone could take their time going down, get doped up on the nitrogen, and then keep going until the oxygen causes a seizure, you lose your regulator, and drown. It's possible that you would be unaware of the onset and die a painless death.

I never had a problem with Nora before, but keeping the lighter was a complete dick move and made no sense. How it would have gone down between any two reasonable people:
>Hey, since you quit smoking, can I keep your lighter?
>No.
>Okay. Here it is.

Seems like pretty lazy writing to me to have Nora vehemently try to keep it.

BIDDY BYE BYE

I see lots of people changed their minds about Lori, but I still hate her. She is easily my least favorite character out of the main ones.

she was a huge cunt this episode. lighter scene made me angry.

She turned into a total bitch during and after her episode. That broken ticket machine made her snap.

B R A V O DAMON
R
A
V
O

When Nora says "No, you quit," maybe she's referring to the fact that Laurie abandoned her children. She literally quit her family. Nora had hers ripped away from her and it ruined her life, and here's a woman who could just walk away from the same thing. It seems reasonable to think that Nora holds some resentment toward Laurie for that. Given that the lighter is symbolic of the daughter that Laurie once gave up willingly, and you also got the parallel between that and Lily (was that the Wayne baby's name?), and Nora alludes to this diring the scene as well.

reminder that laurie is alive

Is the waifu on pic back guys?

The screencap summarizes everything. As they are getting closer to the day, the probability of the world ending becomes clearer to everyone. They are acting ooc because, deep down, they all believe that the world is about to end and they no longer give a shit.

Man, this nigga right here. Its like he watched the episode AND understood it.

Seriously, good on you. Most idiots around here can't follow shit, and don't get any symbolism that isn't totally obvious.

That convo on the phone at the end between her and Laurie with her bro shouting in the background was really nice and inadvertently heavy on the feels.

>May 21 2017
Greatest night in tv history?

Do you think that it was actually her and her brother on the phone? or was it Laurie imagining it? Only reason why I bring it up is that we have never heard her talk like that, all excited and shit.

>Inadvertently heavy on feels

Are you serious? You don't think feels was the point of them putting that in?

the goof was on purpose

Laurie is a dog person

Mind blown

Right?
>suicide scene
>oops here are some feels

>we have never heard her talk like that, all excited and shit

The Garveys at Their Best

I get the symbolism but that's why I called it lazy writing. The symbol was thought of but Lindelof had no reason for Nora to take it. So he shoehorned it in.

We did though, in the flashback to the day of the departure. Jill was totally goofy and giddy with Tom before and during the science fair.

Will suicidal anons finally kill themselves after the series ends? This episode was begging for a hotline shoutout when it ended

Oh shit you right. I just thought it was kinda odd. Thanks user

I'll do my part.

But that was before the departure. I thought that the departure changed her in to the sad a sulken person she is now. But then again she could have changed afterwards any way. You have to admit though, it is kind of strange to hear her happy and shit.

I don't disagree that it was odd. I think it was trying to show that Jill was finally getting to be "okay" again.

I haven't watched Silicon Valley yet, but Veep was gold per usual.

Yeah, but why is it heavy on the feels? Because everything leading up to that moment has led us to believe that Laurie is about to go glug glug and this is the last time she'll ever speak to her children, which, what the fuck, Laurie? If her daughter hadn't called, and if she's really dead, she really just went out on them like that? Like I said before, it doesn't seem to fit with her arc. They tried to shoehorn it in there with her taking on this nihilistic whatever viewpoint with Kevin, but I just can't believe that given the huge change her character has undergone, she's just gonna fuck her family like that... again.

This show is pretty unpredictable, but I very much doubt that she will appear in next episode like nothing happened, I'm pretty sure she killed herself.

About why,well I suppose it's the same reason why she attempt to kill herself the first time, she felt helpless because she couldn't help the people closest to her deal with the departure and break out of their delusions, she felt so isolated in that house with everyone going batshit insane. (from her point of view)

Well she did have one of the worst days of her life with that argument with Kevin, so that would also explain it

Well she could not help her new Husband, I mean he was accomplice to kidnapping , murder and he believed the flood was about to come, and the kids are all grown up and she had no problem abandoning them when they weren't fully adults so that was never enough for her.

I think I'll wait till the end of summer

Also, she's supposed to be away at college, so what is she doing just chillin with Tom? And with Tom being a cop alongside Kevin, it seems odd that he wouldn't know that everyone close to him besides Nora also just bounced out of the country.

Oh snap you right. Thats why this show is so good. you can interpret it how you want.

I just turned 22, I want to meet an older women like Nora who I can have a love affair with.

gonna be pretty mad if they just drown kevin and he dies desu

It's not that hard to find a broken down older slut. Just go to a local cougar bar.

I assumed Tom went to visit Jill. My guess is he is aware that everyone went downunda and he knows why. Maybe he believes in the coming apocalypse and decided to try make his last night on Earth an enjoyable one with his sister, so he didn't tell Jill what was up.

Of course she did.

She will be in the place Kevin goes when he dies.

I wouldn't think he would just leave town when the police force is already missing its chief while SD anniversary shitstorm could be on the horizon. I also don't think Tom wouldn't be totally up front with Jill if he knew anything.

The reality of that phonecall is seeming more and more suspect, but I have no idea how they could explain it away as having not actually happened.

This episode was so crap. I'm wasting my time watching this show.

Sometimes people do things because they're dicks. It's not like we haven't seen Nora act like a complete bitch before, it's nothing new.

Your brain's gone bad.

I'm on season 2 episode 9. I did not enjoy the last episode (International Assassin) at all. It felt like such a waste of time. Now it seems this next episode is a fucking Meg episode? Who the fuck asked for this shit? I don't think I'll be watching season 3.

Tell me why that episode was good? What was the great thing it gave you? Unbelievable actress doing random crap.
Literally worst character and you're fooling yourself that this is the height of tv fiction?

Top kek
Looking back on it this scene was literally Kevin encouraging Laurie to kill herself. Holy shit.

Man, if watching the show is a waste of your time, I can't even fathom how much of a waste of time posting about how the show is a waste of your time must be.

Oh yeah, I'm the complainer, I'd also like to complain about the shitty choice of music at the beginning of each episode.
That shows you the taste the production team has got, don't get your hopes up for anything amazing.

Who gives a shit Laurie was the worst character on the show

lindelof, this tactic isn't dissuading anyone.

They did make suicide look so comfy.

>worst psychiatrist in the universe is committing suicide
>chronos quartet (all chello metallica coverband) version of enter sandman begins to play

It's a waste of your time too. I wanted to get the lowdown on what Sup Forums thinks of this show these days, it seems you've all gone soft and swallow substandard tv like it's the highest tier entertainment/storytelling possible.

What's your definition of high standard tv?

If he's sure the world is going to end the next day, why would he care that the town was without a strong police presence? If he and Jill are going to die in 24 hours why wouldn't he want their time together to be happy and peaceful?

its really just damon lindelof praising the show.

Hes got no choice either, as this will be the last of his career. As he took a character driven book about people dealing with a global one-off unexplainable supernatural event as a means to explore how different people deal with grief in different ways, and turned it into LOST v0.7

Oh, I see it's not just a Meg episode, it's also a FLASHBACK episode

>Maybe he believes in the coming apocalypse and decided to try make his last night on Earth an enjoyable one with his sister

The episode before international assassin really is the peak of the series. As magical negro emptying the antidote on the floor and blowing his brains out is the funniest scene lindelof has ever written. Not intentionally of course.

>confusing Wherever I May Roam with Enter Sandman

metallica is shit and all their music sounds alike

even more so when its a bunch of cellists playing it.

da fuq

Very detail user

You'll get no argument from me but Enter Sandman is a pretty recognizable riff.

I only vaguely recognized it as chronos quartet (due to the fact lindelof used them before for some on-the-nose music) and just went for the most obvious and hamfisted song I could think of.

The only aprt of whereever i may roam I can summon up is "WANDER, WANDER!!"

Whoa chill out Megadeth Mustaine.

The best part of waking up is sniffing my sister's panties from the night before

>he remembers the megadeath vs metallica brand war

you're too old for Sup Forums

I'm not hearing any specific qualms you guys with the show.

I think the argument that the show has gotten too farfetched as far as the whole supernatural thing goes ignores the fact that the show was never not supernatural.

The argument comparing it unfavorably to LOST is cheap, because a. it presupposes that LOST was shit when it reality it was groundbreaking kino despite some faults, and b. it's really just a meme to hate on Lindelof, which is mostly thanks to the shitpile that was Prometheus, and even that wasn't all his fault. I swear I'm not Lindelof btw.

I'm still solidly on board with The Leftovers because I love the more solemn character drama stuff of the first season as much as I love the more playful borderline over-the-top stuff of the past two seasons. People who say the show is shit "these days" talk like it's a soap opera that's going to go on forever and never be good again. It's run was limited, and it's been pretty consistently great imo. If it kept doing the same shit for three seasons, you goombas would be complaining about that instead.

And also, it's still a TV show. I don't think anyone is claiming it's Tolstoy.

desu I got it confused with the intro to Seasons in the Abyss

We invented 4 chan.For all you know I might have looked it up

DELETED SCENES WHEN

I claim that it's Tolstoy.

Well you have a valid point/s, I should have just stopped watching like my instincts told me to. There are so many problems with this show I don't know where to start.

What did he metaphorically mean by this?

HNNNGGG

>the show was never not supernatural.

The first season (and book) has a grand total of one supernatural event. One. And the entire point of the first season (and book) is that it can't be explained thus makes it almost impossible to reconcile. Thus kicks off an (almost) purely character driven story about a global existential crisis.

The second season is built around kevin having a ghost haunting him and his needs to enter the spirit realm in order to learn why hes being haunted and how to get unhaunted, to do this he uses his powers of plot-granted immortality and the help of a magical negro.

The thrid season kevin is jesus and he needs to go to the spirit world to find an aborginal chieftan in order to learn the song that can save the world from the apocalypse.

This is utterly moronic writing on the level of sonic the hedgehog fanfiction.

why do you keep watching the show if you don't like it?

It's not moronic, you just don't like it.

you just proved that you don't understand the show

>its not moronic to flandardize an unimportant element of a book you didn't understand

yea yea, nou

That's how you see it, but that doesn't mean you're right. Season 2 and 3 have no responsibility to a book, and are not absurd departures from Season 1 like you say they are. I love Season 1 and its themes a ton, but I'm not disgusted by the other seasons just cause they aren't completely depressive.

>Why do you keep sucking dick if you don't enjoy it?

It's what I was made to do.

Because it aired when other shows I watch aired. So it was a show to fill the gap in between episodes.
GoT, I don't want to watch that anymore either.
I don't watch much tv. I download shows and don't channel surf much, only documentary channels.

I don't mind character based shows but it's going off on tangents just to experiment, to see how far they can push the vagueness and it's very self indulgent by the creator/s.

Any substance they had has been dissolved so much that everything is meaningless now and I don't give a shit about any of it.

a show shifting from character driven to plot driven is a pretty valid complaint, yo

or are you going to try to argue the show is character driven again?

Oh I see, you completely misunderstood what I said.

That's nice.

First, admit that that is written with the express purpose of exaggerating the show's supernatural elements so as to make it sound as dumb as possible. For example, the whole spirit world aboriginal chieftain line ignores the fact that the only one who believes that wholeheartedly is literally schizophrenic, whereas the other characters have varying motivations.

Also, obviously the show is going to ramp it up, one because the book simply doesn't provide enough material to adapt, and also, TV is not books. Different mediums demand different codes and conventions to be effective.

sucks for you dude. Your brain's fucked up and you have a hard time dealing with things you don't like, and people you don't agree with.

You're an insufferable faggot dude and probably really fat and ugly

uh

kevin's literally immortal and hes literally going along with a plan that involves going to the spirit world (as represented by a hotel) so as to commune with the dead there and bring back their secrets and give messages to them from the living. The idea hes just doing it to kill himself is kinda undermined by the next episode preview, which puts him back in the spirit world again.

The show completely broke with the "could be supernatural, could not be" bits in the first episode of the second season. The first season did that pretty well. The second and third seasons are clearly and entirely about nothing but this weak supernatural bullshit.

I guess I would agree that the show has become more plot driven, sure, but I wouldn't agree that that's been at the expense of character development. I think it would be harder to argue that the show is no longer character driven, especially after tonight and last week.

You just described everyone on Sup Forums

Exactly what was character driven about laurie being a literal plot device?

I don't know what this guy wants to gain from posting the same shit in every leftovers thread