JSA Storytime: Captain Atom

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

The main plot is actually done, now we get a variety of things before cancellation.

Other urls found in this thread:

dc.wikia.com/wiki/Quantum_Field
twitter.com/andykhouri/status/734862885675925504
twitter.com/jeffparker/status/734900637368881153
twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/734855423933751296
twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/734855612757073920
twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/734855828675694592
twitter.com/MrHowardPorter/status/734856771861385219
instagram.com/p/BFwRnstlZKl/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are any of those things good?

We do get surprise Colleen Doran this issue, and we get some Ostrander, but it does admittedly pale next to "Eiling's military coup" plot

Also spoilers Captain atom own speed force quantum field

dc.wikia.com/wiki/Quantum_Field

It's a little bit sad that the preceding run went out flat, but that's comics I guess. Gotta make way for the Monarch (except not, actually).

I kind of wish I'd been in the woods and had been completely Rebirth unspoiled

twitter.com/andykhouri/status/734862885675925504

read the replies from people who don't seem to know/care that he's working on Rebirth books

It had to be rushed, and that makes me ;___;

I also accidentally set off a twitterstorm today by tagging a L*is L*ne fan who's enraged that N52 Supes dies in WW's arms in a way that's totally an homage to the DAROS issue

One thing I wanted to do for the close of these storytimes was make a big screenshot of all the times quantum is thrown off as a ~comics~ adjective in this because man we got some good shit there, like PITTED BY THE SCARS OF MY QUANTUM FURY.

I probably won't do that.

Khouri is one of the few people keeping me excited for Rebirth. Gonna read that article after getting the issue.

>Colleen Doran
ooh nice. I saw her jam comic with Dave Sim the other day about an unfortunate encounter she had with a DC editor over dinner while another editor was present

Hello Storyteller.

How fitting this issue's cover features a fedora. There's been an absurd amount of tipping today.

I guess Rebirth is good news for her?

I saw a couple of people went bare-fanged at Tomasi for that.

awwwww

it's like the NAAARGH! collage, only quantum

Enough people with quite different perspectives in general on comics have loved it that I'm weirdly confident.

If you wanna see it, just go look at Tomasi's twitter then follow the links

It means I have to re-read the whole thing, which I was gonna do but probably not right away.

>I also accidentally set off a twitterstorm today by tagging a L*is L*ne fan who's enraged that N52 Supes dies in WW's arms in a way that's totally an homage to the DAROS issue

That was... interesting.

this page is great

if I were him I would have blocked everyone there a long time ago, honestly, because it's not remotely the first go-around

It's the follow through I'm not sold on. It can be a great one shot but it's a monthly game.

I'm so sorry. I really didn't mean to.

Oh, totally--the real question for me is "What are the books coming out of this like and will they not suck. What happens now that couldn't have happened before."

>Enough people with quite different perspectives in general on comics have loved it that I'm weirdly confident.

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, it's just after Darkseid War I don't really trust Johns with bigass cosmic-level events anymore.

I've got a low tolerance for drama all the time but that shit is just wew lad to me. There's a difference between Lois Lane is shit in the Nu52 and a homage being erasure of female characters in general.

I looked at that person's tweets. There was a SupesWondy shipper, who agreed that it was screwed up. They responded with "Remove me from your convo" and "I don't support the way you conduct yourself".

I always thought Andy Khouri was like this weedy dude but he and his wife are a pretty hot couple.

I really didn't mean to set it off, and I should have been more careful because tl;dr is the name of the game. But I actually feel strongly about not using the big rhetorical guns when they're not warranted. It wears them out.

I was just amused at how far it kept going. I was in the middle of my planning period at my teaching job and my phone kept blowing up from it with just a stream of those tweets.

I'm pretty impressed an actual Victorian schoolmistress traveled through time and learned how to use twitter t b h.

>There's a difference between Lois Lane is shit in the Nu52 and a homage being erasure of female characters in general.
>erasure of female characters in general
I'm tired. All day I've been putting up with MRA shit, and now I come here only to hear about radfem shit.

Sigh. What happened?

That bottom middle panel is such a simple storytelling thing that so many comics neglect. Lettering is ignored so often.

Some of it may have been me, my bad.

People got mad they ripped the iconic death of Superman pose for Superman in WW's arms.

like, sorry to interrupt, but what she says there is the kind of rhetoric you reserve for Voids

New52 Superman died, Wonder Woman did the "cradling Superman's corpse" pose instead of Lois, the Internet collectively shit itself.

uhoh

I don't even disagree with the female characters losing their moments thing necessarily, but this is clearly an intentional reference that fits the context of this continuity. What's to get mad about? The plot beat would have been the same in a slightly different pose regardless.

i wanna comment about how a pieta riff is kinda weak for an iconic moment but I think that's kinda heretical?

We've got a pretty amazing creative team on pencils, inks, letters, and colors this issue

Austin is probably one of the best inkers in the biz and Wood was coloring Saga of the Swamp Thing.

People tend to forget that there's more than one Pieta, it's just that Michelangelo's version is the most popular.

Like how there are different religious icon "themes" that you can find repeated and riffed on in religious art, same deal with Renaissance artwork and statuary. Similar biblical stories and ideas, but different artist interpretations.

Right, I have no opinion on N52 Lois just because I haven't read enough to, but it's clearly a deliberate reference and comics likes to stack things that way. It's an easter egg.

.... That's it? That's nothing. The Internet went apeshit over nothing.

>rehashing of iconic imagery is sexist
Days like this, I honestly wonder why I'm not an alcoholic.

I really need people to stop getting mad over everything.

These gangsters are so 90s.

>The Internet went apeshit over nothing.
shocking, I know...

I'm always down with a Doran fill-in, lady can draw.

Remember user. Booze is expensive.

again, if I were Tomasi, I would have blocked a long time ago

How some creators can be so patient I'll never know

Wait, where are people getting this image of Punished Kal's death?

The Titian painting was my first encounter with the Pieta but comparing that stuff is always fun. Like Michelangelo's Moses vs. Sluter's Moses, which one do you find more interesting?

>Punished Kal
I wish they would turn some of those MOBA alternate universes into actual comics.

It's probably easier after you've written and had edited enough material to develop the thick skin you need to do WFH

twitter.com/jeffparker/status/734900637368881153

Well the actual Infinite Crisis tie-in comic they did with it was pretty fucking great.

Arcane Hal is my husbando.

>that entire conversation

oh lordy I am dying

Arcane and Atomic, I'd love to see something in those universes. Supergirl and Wonder Woman as your protagonists, respectively, for me.

>again, if I were Tomasi, I would have blocked a long time ago
Social media was a mistake. Twitter has never led to anything good.

Yeah, I know, but really, people can't keep living their lives like this, getting righteously pissed off at every little thing. And that's coming from ME. Goddamn, people. Chill.

So Injustice is ending, right? What's going to take the place of that digital juggernaut or will it be Injustice 2: Electric Boogaloo, as soon as the next game comes out?

I don't even care about the plot anymore. This is a great issue.

>Twitter has never led to anything good.
Didn't it uncancel Omega Men?

Case in point.

Besides all those Revolutions and shit in the Middle East.

Them's fighting words, user.

Get the fuck out.

>Dang it Jeff
lol

Yeah I'm curious if anything will ever come close to Injustice in terms of digital titles succeeding
It's still getting HCs and it's in Year Four. That's like 7 or 8 trades deep AND it got a complete version of Year One.
Bombshells is doing well in trades so far, like it's past 4k in two months and does well in floppies, but it's just not there in digital.

This is so meta done right

it lets me get sports trades and free agency news immediately though

Supergirl is also doing well despite muh piracy. And legend of wonder woman

a pimp? wearing that suit? i'm shocked

>revolutions in the Middle East
>good
I don't follow.

That's fucking savage, user. Nice.

twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/734855423933751296
twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/734855612757073920
twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/734855828675694592

There is still hope for humanity.

no skinting on the shiny pecs, damn, side view

Oh, Porter had a tweet I busted up at

twitter.com/MrHowardPorter/status/734856771861385219

I'm beginning to think your waifu- and husbando-ing of characters is less to do with the characters and more about whether they wear shiny metallic colors.

This is the one who tried to get him into bed, right? And then shut him down when he was finally ready?

instagram.com/p/BFwRnstlZKl/

Manapul a cute

pls sell more than 50k first issue

>twitter.com/andykhouri/status/734862885675925504
What did it say?

Nah. Trust me, Storyteller's thirst for Nura Nal is definitely a personality thing.

that theme had not occurred to me

there's also a definite pure husbando type, I admit

So THOSE three babies are why Trinity got delayed

They're all very cute tho

Wow guy in a foetal position floating in space? This is blatant erasure of the iconic poses of astronauts and their killer robots. You wouldn't get away with this shit today.

Basically "Are these people responding to my Rebirth tweet not aware that I'm working on those books, or are they being dicks"

does Superman need air in space?

whoops!

i internalized a thing from some information book about how he holds his breath for a super long time when in space

I think maybe he can just hold his breath for a phenomenally long time? I refuse to believe Captain Atom needs air to live anyway. Though he has always been shown to be vulnerable to knockout gas in this.

Whoa.

not typically

Sometimes he can hold his breath long enough for it to not matter. Sometimes he needs a suit. Sometimes he doesn't have to breathe at all because solar cells.

Yes.

You fucking know nowadays that would be a copy/pasted panel.

Well, at least it's got Colleen Doran on arts for now, right?

>Wait, where are people getting this image of Punished Kal's death?
Can someone please answer this? I'm genuinely curious if something else got leaked.

>discussing Superman's powers
OH GOD NO ABANDON THREAD

Copypasted panels were already in use back then.