Werner Herzog

OP here. I will not be providing any further input into this thread. I want to see what a natural Werner Herzog thread on Sup Forums will be like. No interference, just Sup Forums commenting on Werner Herzog and his works.

Please continue.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rw1cdRew-Zg
youtube.com/watch?v=HrRNM9cMBDk
youtube.com/watch?v=yUsoVGj1Ta0
youtube.com/watch?v=nDcnLfLaFiY
youtube.com/watch?v=YXNfHb9b6Y0
youtu.be/_UraxfJFTJk
youtube.com/watch?v=xFBYGqW4ThQ&t=947s
youtube.com/watch?v=7yHrAA6-11U
youtube.com/watch?v=enk9NgIiu00
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But why?

>Werner Herzog
nice try reddit

youtube.com/watch?v=Rw1cdRew-Zg

fitzcarraldo > aguirre > cobra verde > nosferatu

Total badass and excellent director

youtube.com/watch?v=HrRNM9cMBDk

Who else here bought the Grizzly Man soundtrack triple LP vinyl set?

youtube.com/watch?v=yUsoVGj1Ta0

To capture the essence of a Werner Herzog thread, it becomes necessary for one to step outside the conventions of what a thread is generally taken to be. One must embrace the thread as a wholly experiential journey into the workings of one's own mind, as an exploration, a probing, of the boundary between oneself, the thread as a whole, and the gestalt meaning of the disparate shitposts that result from its existence.

To begin this journey, one must first accept this fundamental truth: a Werner Herzog thread can not simply be forced bluntly into existence. A Werner Herzog thread is merely an outward manifestation of the Werner Herzog thread within us all.

Is this the greatest dark comedy film of all time?

It really fucking is.

I don't think I've seen any of his movies but a copypasta said he's an asshole.

is this kino? do we see any bear on man violence? any rape?

Whether or not he's an asshole is beside the point. The man is a certified genius, possibly exactly the right sort of crazy, too.

It's a documentary about an idiot who wanted to live with bears. It ends up exactly how you would expect.

I recently watched Stroszek. I would say I hated it. Nothing remarkable, no substance to speak of, and the lead being a non-actor really shows (not to mention the mental instability, which shines through and is just sad).

>It ends up exactly how you would expect.

And therein lies the comedy. It's like waiting on the Spanish Inquisition.

Obligartory
youtube.com/watch?v=nDcnLfLaFiY

These 2 completely rational fine gentlemen come over and slap your artistic current of choice on the ass. What do?

youtube.com/watch?v=YXNfHb9b6Y0
Does anyone have the webm of this scene?

Literally the most Reddit way to start a thread.

>Werner Herzog

DIE DUMME SAU!!!!

Did they really mistype his name?

You could've just typed "let's discuss the work of Werner Herzog", you don't have to be a total faggot you know.

was it too artsy-fartsy?

Werner Herzog is a meme.

You are a black african american negro

correct but switch aguirre with fitzcarraldo

Run away

I don't get why he had a role in Rick & Morty.

What did they talk about?

Bumping this quality thread

To be honest I've always thought Herzog's direction of photography was severely lacking. He can tell a story through his scripts and Kinski's acting but not the pictures themselves.

Just posting some underrated Herzog documentary. This is one of the most surrealistic film I've ever seen, and it's a freakin' documentary
Wow, does Malick appear in public now?

I sorta agree. From what I've seen Stroszek, Kaspar Hauser, Woyzeck and Cobra Verde has very plain, rather boring cinematographies. But some of his early films are beautifully filmed, especially Fitzcarraldo. Just look at pic related.

youtu.be/_UraxfJFTJk

Some paparazzi scum accidentally ran into him, big deal. "Appearing in public" means actually going to conventions and festivals like that picture implied.

I think I read somewhere that he did a Q&A at a festival screening not too long ago. I was dissapointed it was too far for me to get to (I live in NYC, the screening was somewhere deep in Jersey)

just found this
youtube.com/watch?v=xFBYGqW4ThQ&t=947s

I'm currently reading The Peregrine by J.A. Baker, which is apparently one of Herzog's favourite books. It's literature, but within the words there is this visual journey of a man searching for the Peregrine falcon.

I love Herzog's passion for walking long distances.

youtube.com/watch?v=7yHrAA6-11U

Is Cave of Forgotten Dreams a good watch? I occasionally listen to the soundtrack and it's amazing.

Which Nosferatu is better? English or German? Keep in mind there were two completely separate versions shot with different dialogue and lighting.

He likes to do voice work in cartoons sometimes. He was the narrator in Metalocalypse too.

He played himself in a episode of The Boondocks where he did a documentary about the Obama election. Kinda crappy episode, but he was 11/10 through all of it.

It's good enough, but there doesn't seem to be enough material to make a full documentary. It would be better if it were 45 minutes or so

I've never watched a single Herzog-directed film. Occasionally I'll read an interview with him though, and in every single one of them he sounds like a fucking genius in terms of being a filmmaker. A spiritualist and rabid film purist, willing to do whatever's necessary to get his vision on film.

He sounds like a fucking badass.

Watch "Incident at Loch Ness."

Go in blind and process it afterward.

did Werner Herzog make this thread?

Incident at Loch Ness, I'll look into it.

me on the right

Because he does whatever he wants. He played the bad guy in Jack Reacher.

I wish that Muslim had blown up TMZ yesterday.

F

>Who has two thumbs but very little else going on, hand-wise? I am such a man

Yeah, Lessons of Darkness is the only Herzog I've seen (I can't even remember how I encountered it, probably the amount of Wagner on the soundtrack) but it was absolutely incredible in what it portrays. It's quite something.

youtube.com/watch?v=enk9NgIiu00

Kinski is such a God

Can you imagine hanging out with fucking penguins all day? I'd be up for fucking anything after a few weeks of that shit.

>listen commentary on enigma
>"the original title had nothing to do with enigma, but we couldn't sell it to americans, so we changed to enigma"
>"these opening shots have nothing to do with the original story and were added in just because they look enigmatic"

Herzog a hack

This guy has a superficial hardon for gruesome things but his documentaries often lack in depth and relevance. Like his death penalty doc or the bear thing. They add nothing new to the table. We just see Werner interview people about obvious things. Afterwards I know nothing i havent known before. Joshua Oppenheimer went so much smarter about his approach to a topic with the act of killing

German is such a pig-ugly language, holy shit

That was so fucking weird.

No it isn't.

Ja it is

kys

No, not particularly, save for the dancing animals at the end.

> watch Herzog documentary
> finally get the american dad scene about the butterfly and steve in prison

No, he's not a genius. He's only pretending to be crazy, he's a disingenuous cunt.

>the lead being a non-actor really shows
You say that as if the point wasn't to try to get deadpan yucks out of watching a mentally disturbed guy. If Bruno S. had somehow given him a good take, Herzog would have asked him never to do it again.

Wow, my last scintilla of respect for Malick just died if that's the hairstyle he's going with.

Absolutely. He writes flamboyant behavior, films in spectacular locales, and has Kinski go nuts in the foreground, but it's not a cinematic vision.

He's selling himself as that. It's bullshit. Imagine how you'd react to his claims and myth-making if he spoke without an accent. He's a fraud.

>and other movies people pretend to see

wtf i love tmz now

This is the truth. He just applies his meme persona, which is available for money to any shitty project that asks him, to stuff anyone interested in the subject already knows. He recently made an entire corporate long-form ad disguised as a docu called Lo and Behold: Reveries of the Connected World, which starts off from the idea that he thinks the internet is awesome, when he's made it clear that he doesn't (like all veteran bullshit artists, he hates that he can be checked up on now).

>disliking the Assyrian deity look
Fucking pleb.

I love her response, completely undercuts his bullshit. And then he completely fails to walk off without a bunch of last-wording. She's probably not even still looking in his direction by the time he shouts his last afterthought. Dipshit.

It's more the Frasier Crane denial look.

>I didn't serve in the SS Totenkopf Division to end like this.

He is a hack and a fraud

>conquest of the useless
>walking on ice
a great director and a great author
>who has two thumbs and not much else hand-wise?
>i am such a man