Why hasn't there been a Warhammer 40k movie yet?

Why hasn't there been a Warhammer 40k movie yet?

The lore is incredibly immersive and in-depth, plus it's filled with badasses. A director would have more than enough material to make a 10 movies with let alone one.

That being said, I think a trilogy on the Horus Heresy would seriously make it big, like a Star Wars lit almost.

Go back to bed edge lord.

the fan base is not big enough so no big studio wants to greenlight a billion dollar franchise without any realistic guarantee of a return. space marines are designed to be miniatures, the armor looks incredibly gay scaled up. tryanids are basically ripoffs of alien, orks and elves are from middle earth, chaos is basically cthulhu space demons.

it's very derivative. warhammer fantasy suffers the same problems, the books are fun to read pulp fiction/fantasy/sci fi, but filming a live action full feature would be a nightmare.

I wish we could get nice 40k movies but we all know that if we ever get one it will be shit and probably about badly portrayed "spess murheens".

It angers me, such a vast universe and such possibilites and it always come down to these fucking playmobil looking dudes fighting orks or their chaos counterparts

Too edgy for normies.

The lore is pure shit tailored to sell expensive figurines to pimply 13 year old boys. Now you could say that about most capeshit too but at least that has mass-market appeal, unlike the anti-woman forcefield of cheesy stink that permeates the Warhammer fanbase.

It's too broad to make into concise films, also fan base issues. Would be neat as a tv series though, could explore a lot and get shit right without needing to stick to sich stringint formatting.

Why would you have a movie from the PoV of the Eldar or Orks though?

If a 40k movie ever was to be made it would be some Imperium fanboys wet dream and who better than to show the might of the Imperium than space marines.

This is the first time I've seen 40k and it's fans being described as 'edgy'. Loser, all the time, child, yes, autist, sure but not edgy.

>it's very derivative.
I mean it is (because that was the joke) and it isn't in a lot of ways warhammer's been around so long it is often the think being derived from (orcs being green for example).

This basically, good luck getting Hollywood to greenlight a movie where the good guys are religious space fascist eugenicists.

it has fascistic undertones you can't really write out of a script.

Just tone it down a little
Hell, just adaptate the Ciaphas Cain series and you're good

why do you consider them good guys lol

because normal fags are too busy with (((star wars)))

also 40k is a mix of sci fi and fantasy I bet they make a warhammer fantasy movie first

Borne out of survival though.

Everyone else is even worse.

because the tau are cucks

>implying they aren't

Some one off about the Orcs would draw dimes

There was that "Ultramarine" one and "The Lord Inquisitor" fan thing. I don't think it's really suited for making things much bigger than those
There's a lot of edgy things in 40k. Chaos, Dark Eldar, and the Inquisition in particular have a lot of stuff

>Orc movie this soon after Warcraft
Probably not the best idea. People are retarded enough to think it would be copying it.

Another problem is that most moviegoers are plebs who require a normalfag protagonist to latch onto. That's why space marines are probably what they'd want to start with.

Space Marines are less and less relatable the more you think about them. The easiest into to the franchise would probably be the guard or inquisition

>Pic of space marine
>Non the superior PRIMARIS Marines
Kek at you

I'm not asking for PoV from a xeno.

A cool plot (IMO) for a trilogy would be the following :

1 : We follow some arbites team / inquisition death squad operating in a hive city. At some point they discover a genestealer cult that is starting to grow in size and trying to attract a tyrannid hivefleet

2 : heroes from 1st failed and the infestation has spread out. Luckily they can send a distress call and an imperial guard force land on the planet, they try to repel the genestealer cultists back below the surface and prepare defense for the approaching tyrannid fleet

3 : full planetary invasion battle, in the end you might throw in some spaces marines (in the form of Ordo Xenos squads maybe?) who may or may not turn the balance if you want an "happy" ending

I think that's dreaming a little too big. In my opinion, they should start with a smaller scope - movie is set on a single imperial guard ship, and they're attacked by some eldar (maybe tyranids, but eldar would likely cost less to film). They fight a losing battle as the main squad is picked off one by one while they attempt to clear out the ship, then it looks like the protag is gonna get jobbed near the end, and that's when a space marine squad shows up and annihilates the remaining eldar.

Smaller scale, smaller budget = less risk for the studio. Relatable imperial guard characters. The eldar as the enemy shouldn't be too overwhelming for the normies, plus the space marines get a brief moment to show just how OP they are.

It could have an action/horror type feel, kind of like Aliens.

No Spessmahreens is going to sink your pitch to GW

They're relatively the good guys because they do what they do for a reason; imperial cult directs some of man's psychic energy from chaos, slows chaos cult spread, promotes unity etc. Mutation is 90% of the time a sign of chaos corruption yadda yadda yadda.
But they're objectively not the good guys good doesn't exist in 40k hence the grim darkness thing.

GW is slowly lowering the prevalence of the most objectionable stuff like setting up slaannesh for a fall, Waking up Rowboat so he can restructure the imperium, Giving the DE an excuse not to be pain vampires/have an excuse just to never use the DE again.

Good idea too, the small scale / budget issue is no problem for the 1st part I suggest, except for a few shots most of the action would be in the underworld city hive, so it's industrial corridors, caves, abandonned depots, etc...

The average fan these days is a little more reactionary than the Imperium.
They will hate any of the inevitable changes, they will whine in the Internet and they will probably not watch it anyway.

Because nobody knows what that is other than pencil dick nerds.

Fantasy nerd shit just doesn't make good movies.

>Fantasy nerd shit just doesn't make good movies.

like Lord of the Rings?

Eisenhorn would make a good Cinematic series, or a hbo / netflix production. Spess Mureens are a OTT to be liked by a mainstream normie audience though

They'd just fuck it up.
It'd either be too grimdark without any trace of self awareness and be shit. Or try to garner mass appeal with relatability and and lose the essence of the series.

>there will never be an ork or greenskin film
;_;

those weren't really all that good dog

>weird franchise unknown by normies
>would be absurdly expensive to make
>lore is too dense for people to easily understand and get into
>unrelentingly morbid and brutal
>no sympathetic good guys

Does it have genuinely sympathetic bad guys?

I'm not your dog, kittycat.

No. The closest approximation of sympathy mostly just comes from the "good guys" only being as bad as the bad guys due to a lack of better options

I'm not your pussy, bitch

I'm not your bitch, boychick

The Emperor comes pretty close to being a true good guy though.

perhaps snyder's daughter suicide motivates him to jump into a darker universe, he would be the perfect match for the tone of this game. The visuals, the religion references, everything... only "DUDE JOKES LMAO" faggots would disagree

Corpses are neither good or bad

Maybe because Warhammer is for edgy manchildren? FOR THE EMPRAH SPESS MAHREEENS

It's fucking gay and childish, all Warhammer fans are fucking autistic

I'm talking Heresy and pre-heresy. He doesn't seem truly dead either, he talked to a resurrected Rowboat in private for an entire day.

Oh please

1. It would be very expensive
2. It would have to be R-rated. Doesn't go well with 1. studios hate high budget r-rated movies, the risk is so huge.
3. It's politically super incorrect which doesn't play well right now in the SJW infested culture
4. It's a IP that is very known by nerds but not by "normal" people (like your mom, teenaged girls, middle aged working class men etc.)
5. From a filmmaking point of view, it would provide a tricky tonal challenge. Of course it's a vast universe and there are plenty of stories to tell, but because it is so bombastic and over the top, the storyline could easily become annoying and boring. The fluff of the game isn't exactly high brow. Lot of it is unintentionally hilarious and veers into the "it's so bad it's fun to laugh at it" territory.

The Emperor can only be considered good in the sense that he wants to make the universe better for humanity, but the way he does is by basically turning the galaxy into a gigantic meat grinder. This makes him more like a Stalin-type character than anything else. I mean, Stalin didn't do the things he did because he was insane, he genuinely believed that killing all political opposition was the only way to truly ensure the success of the Russian revolution which would bring about true communism and the holodomor was something he genuinely considered a price worth paying to ensure that the Ukraine's agricultural production was satisfactory.

>3. It's politically super incorrect which doesn't play well right now in the SJW infested culture

Or it is super politicall correct depending on whether you view it as satire of fascism and religious extremism or not.

It would probably be similar to the response to Starship Troopers for better or worse, but there would probably be less potential set up to indicate "THIS IS DRY HUMOR. WE ARE NOT ADVOCATING FASCISM" since the setting isn't really big on contrast

What do you like user

I like actual adult fucking films like Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, American History X, Inglourious Basterds, MCU capeshit, the Batman Trilogy, Do the Right Thing

>it has fascistic undertones you can't really write out of a script.
True but I always thought the point was to show that no matter which race you like they're all psychos. The real problem for hollywood in this case is that there is no true hero.

post more 40K lewds

>being such a mental 12yo you think in terms of what is "evil"
Who says /teevee/ is not filled with redditards?

Eisenhorn is one of the few genuinely good pieces of literature to come out of GW and is basically perfect for being turned into a movie trilogy.

Warhammer Fantasy is better. Too bad we'll never get any movies of that because it's fucking DEAD

FUCK YOU GW

The Emperor is a straight rip of Doctor Doom in the old Marvel comics.

His prescience allows him to see there is but one narrow path humanity can travel to survive and prosper as a spacefaring race and he goes to any means necessary to achieve that.

Post-Heresy is basically a rip of Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, etc with him crippled and the edifice he's created running off on its own (wrong) direction, doomed to failure.

>theyz evil cuhz they dont gots democracy like in the , and we're good, because it les theh people choose what they want. Not like thems Natzis whos killed peeps, theys evil an don hav oursa freedums. God bless the USA

If they did it right a Sisters Of Battle movie could work. Get the Catholic crowd(battle nuns), SJW (Feminism), Splatter audience(make it really bloody like Warhammer 40k is expected to be) and LGBT(throw in some lesbian subtones)

>The Emperor is a straight rip of Doctor Doom in the old Marvel comics.

Not really. The emperor ultimately failed whereas Doom was prophesied to be the only man who wouldn't.

Like normies understand satire

>adult fucking films
>Basterds
Shouldn't you be in school

Lol triggered

@83097251
>adult fucking films
> Inglourious Basterds, MCU capeshit, the Batman Trilogy

Liongate should do a mid-low budget 40k about the catachans filmed in yucatan mexico like predator period

Adaptation is going to have
>PG-13
>obligatory SJW pandering
>bad CGI

Thank you, I'll pass

Bait

Starts as a COPS-styled series where a docu crew is following an Imperial Guard battalion to make some pro-Imperium propaganda film. As it progresses, it starts showing off exactly how bad the the war actually is.

>There will never be a Band of Brothers type mini series following an Imperial Guard company

Give us a synopsis of a potential plot without making a tedious mess of grandiloquent exposition and autistic cgi battle scenes.

Sup Forumseddit

GW will charge you by the minute to watch it

Producer here with minimal to no-knowledge of the source material, aka the best person for the job.
Alright, here's what we do:
Imperial Guard, they're more approachable and human, right? Can be played by pretty actors and women? They're pretty much the colonial marines from Aliens?
We set it up as a team of soldiers from the Imperial Guard being sent to some whatever base in a far off planet to investigate a distress call. Maybe the planet was researching something to help them in the war.

The team is pretty casual, there's some banter and quips to make them likeable. Maybe 3 guys, divided in the usual leader/sarcastic guy/meathead and 2 women, one is the no-nonsense nanny and the other is the quriky nerdy one.

They meet some scientists, fight some Tyranids first because they're easy mooks that can lead to a quick and good action scene.
Next, an ork spaceship crashlands on the planet, they're looking for whatever MacGuffin is held in the planet. Why orks? Simple, they're green, silly, have accents, audiences will eat them up, we could sell a lot of merch with them.
Then we get a Space Marine, he's sent after the team requests help. He's stoic and noble, he's gonna be our serious side for the film.

So now we can start act 3. Meathead dies while a bunch of shit is happening.
Scientist has been taking them to the center of the base, and it's then revealed he was actually evil the whole time and we get Chaos in, because space-slugs and dumb green guys don't make serious stakes, demons do.

Then it's a run for the macguffin, Space Marine destroys it and has a final fight with a demon-scientist or whatever.
Everyone dies.
Leader guy sacrifices himself to save quirky girl, saying he always loved her.

Movie ends with Space Marine and girl survivor on a ship back, she's all sad and shit, the Space Marine vouches to help her further investigating the macguffin and we set up the sequel.

With a good marketing campaign we can get at least 600M.

Sucker Punch in Power Armour.

Now you've got fa/tg/uys complaining it doesn't have giant cgi set pieces with millions of onscreen characters.

FUND IT SCHLOMO

what about a movie on the Horus Heresey? Would also be easy to ease normies into the lore.

>"Uh sir, did you read my proposal?"
>"Yeah to buy the movie licensing to Hammerwarrior 2000 or something, why would I do that? I looked it up and it's a toy series, not an adaptable plot"
>"W-well sir, it has a really deep setting with badass dudes and giant monsters"
>"Well are there any iconic characters we can make a film about?"
>"Yes! We can make it about the God Emperor of mankind fighting the Horus Heresy"
>"Tell me about that"
>"The psychic immortal emperor of earth gets betrayed by his genetically perfect son after being seduced by evil go-"
>"Yeah buddy, thank you for your proposal, but I'm not interested in funding that. Please leave my office.
>"Y-you too!"

I think a movie about the war of armaggedon "black templars vs Orks with sisters of battle and some eldar" would do a descent work.

Sly Marbo the movie!

Only prime Sylvester Stallone could do that part.

Wouldn't work, the movie would have to revolve around humans and Space Marines are out because they are too unrelatable for mass audiences. So then you are stuck with IG or whatever the fuck they are called now and that would be too depressing because of the high death toll. The only viable movie material is too grimdark to be made into a movie

found the heretic

The "Furious Abyss" novel would make a good one-off movie. You don't have to know anything about the Heresy to understand the plot and it introduces the personalities of several Space Marine legions. Also takes place largely on a couple of ships so sets could be reused and space battles would be easy to do with CGI.

If Blomkamp could do District 9 on $30 million, I don't see why you couldn't do a basic Warhammer movie.

>military parade
>their armor is all grimy and dull instead of being polished & shiny
hope someone got fired for this blunder

Stop making these fucking threads, it's pathetic

That armor is 10,000 years old, nigga.

>HE THINKS THE GRIM DARK FUTURE CAN BE SCRUBBED AWAY

>no matter which race you like they're all psychos
That's pretty edgy

>keeping your armour clean in a hive city

Because the alternative are green space fungus that desire only to fight and kill, space jews, BDSM space jews, xenomorphs, zombie robots, and malevolent gods and their various daemons and cults.

this. Ironically, one of the worst HH novels could be one of the easiest 40k movies to make.

>A team of five Imperial Guardsmen have an encounter with tyranids, then orkz, and live

Just make a Deffwotch movie.

Too expensive, one Space Marine is already costly enough, imagine an entire group of them.
The audience also needs a grounded element to help them in this totally alien universe. Thus, a merry band of realistic soldiers thrown into a survival situation is best.
Trust me, I make movies, I understand my audience.

I was actualy thinking that, if this movie is sucessful, we could kickstart a cinematic universe with 4 different movies introducing 4 different Space Marines, and they all get together for one crossover film.
Shit, if we play our audience right, we might even get a billion out of this.

Would Dwayne Johnson make for a good Space Marine?

>>A team of five Imperial Guardsmen have an encounter with tyranids, then orkz, and live
Cain did that with just one guy as backup.
On a space hulk, no less

They would have to pull off some inane shit to make it a satire tho.
>These ever expanding bug species isn't ALL that bad
>These green monsters dindu nuffin wrong
>These Chaotic God worshipers aren't all evil! Respect their culture!
>Humans are the REAL baddies in this universe, they made it this bad!