Why does Protestantism seem so authentic and personal while Catholicism seems like nothing but endless rituals...

Why does Protestantism seem so authentic and personal while Catholicism seems like nothing but endless rituals? I really think Protestantism gets closer to the original spirit of Christianity with small groups of believers rather than literally going through the motions in some huge cathedral.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6rLfhK2zLmI
catholic-resources.org/Bible/Biblical-Mass-Texts.htm
tracystreasury.blogspot.com/2013/10/my-bible-marking-system.html#more
biblestudy.org/basicart/mark-your-bible-for-effective-studies.html
biblehub.com/concordance/
biblestudyguide.org/topical/
robertwells.tripod.com/howtopray.html
liveanddare.com/contemplative-prayer-and-christian-meditation/#3_SITTING_IN_THE_PRESENCE_OF_GOD
humansarefree.com/2013/02/japanese-water-therapy-heal-your-body.html
ln.steamy.moe/msetlr.jpg)
breitbart.com/london/2015/10/05/worlds-first-lesbian-bishop-calls-church-remove-crosses-install-muslim-prayer-space/
cnsnews.com/news/article/pope-francis-same-sex-marriage-move-father-lies-total-rejection-gods-law
wdtprs.com/blog/2013/12/pope-francis-shocked-by-gay-adoption-urges-bishop-to-speak-against-it-boldly/
independent.co.uk/news/people/pope-francis-compares-arguments-for-transgender-rights-to-nuclear-arms-race-10061223.html
catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2013/06/03/pope-francis-is-under-attack-for-saying-that-outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation-its-a-poke-in-the-eye-says-one-presbyterian-why-hes-wrong/
huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/pope-francis-excommunicates-priest-greg-reynolds_n_3983059.html
ncronline.org/blogs/francis-chronicles/pope-francis-gender-theory-problem-not-solution
lifenews.com/2015/09/23/pope-francis-on-abortions-innocent-victims-its-wrong-to-look-the-other-way-or-remain-silent/
businessinsider.com/pope-francis-endorses-use-of-force-against-isis-in-iraq-2014-8
catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-off-the-cuff-to-priests-religious-indifference-makes-god-vomit-69700/
christianpost.com/buzzvine/7-times-pope-francis-was-misquoted-132679/
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/bolivia/11729834/Pope-rebukes-Bolivias-President-Evo-Morales-for-gift-of-crucifix-mounted-on-hammer-and-sickle.html
ewtn.com/library/SPIRIT/MAPLIF.TXT
youtube.com/watch?v=pQ6CsTtEMu4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

agreed

You're an american.
Don't blame yourself, it's not your fault.

>Protestants
You -> God

>Catholics
You -> Church -> Saints -> God

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a direct link to God.

bumping modest protestant Christian girls

>Why does Protestantism seem so authentic and personal while Catholicism seems like nothing but endless rituals? I really think Protestantism gets closer to the original spirit of Christianity with small groups of believers rather than literally going through the motions in some huge cathedral.

Protestantism is pretty alright though at this point it's probably best to just have a study group and eschew churches.

Catholic
>leader says atheists go into Heaven (a lie)
>says being gay isn't an issue (lie)
>the Vatican has graven images (a sin)
>believe in evolution and that the word of God (the bible) is fake

>Catholicism is the Catholic Church in America

This, pretty much no major church actually follows the bible.
Christian women are actually supposed to cover their hair too

My girlfriend wants me to be Catholic yet I feel no connection to religion (became atheist at 15, regret it but feel like I can't go back). What do?

I also hate how the current Pope is a giant cuck.

>This, pretty much no major church actually follows the bible.
Unfortunately.
>Christian women are actually supposed to cover their hair too
Arguably only in church and only if it's a local custom IIRC.

Actually, wait. Wait. We should put together a study/worship infographic.

I want to be a Christian, I share all the same values and ethics with Christians. I hate the leftist sjw control we must endure. I just find having faith difficult, any advice?

Oh yeah, I remembered it wrong. And that would be helpful, so many people, churches etc. have their own interpretation but it's just best to quote the bible literally and show people what it says.

>I really think Protestantism gets closer to the original spirit of Christianity with small groups of believers rather than literally going through the motions in some huge cathedral.

Do you mean like in the picture attached?

In case you're unaware, in the US (your flag), small Protestant churches are disappearing into oblivion, whereas Protestant megachurches, with more seats than most cathedrals, are growing.

Why couldn't evolution and God be real at the same time? Why couldn't God have made things, and set them on the course of evolution?

Catholicism is idol worship

last bump

Oh also, no I don't believe it's just local customs. The bible says it's shameful for a woman to have her hair uncovered and that it would be like if she shaved her hair.
For me personally, the bible says that a prudent woman is a gift from God, I think a woman should make an effort to be prudent (and men should as well) which means not just wearing the head covering because it's an obligation during prayer, but because you want to be modest.
Obviously this shouldn't be forced or be some full burka thing. Also does anyone else look at Christian head coverings and find them more appealing than Islamic ones? I can't explain why I feel this way, they don't look too different but somehow it just looks more appealing to me and I just can't say for sure why.

Protestantism is literally Satanism. As Satan rebelled against heaven, so does the perfidious heretic defy his priests, his bishops, his cardinals, his betters, take pride into his soul and lead himself down to ruin to dwell in adamantine chains and penal fire through the arrogance of his infernal folly.

We are made in Gods image, he didn't start as some cell and then turn into an ape and then into a human or whatever. Is it possible that we have the potential for evolution? Who knows, this isn't addressed in the bible. We do know though that we didn't evolve

youtube.com/watch?v=6rLfhK2zLmI

Literally a two hour rock concert/college lecture in a football arena and not a single line of scripture read.

The Catholic Liturgy is almost 100% scripture. catholic-resources.org/Bible/Biblical-Mass-Texts.htm

Orthodox Church is the closes thing you're gonna be getting to the way Christ inteded it.
if you ignorant niggers bothered to research something once in a while you'll find that even in its initial stages the Christians had a hierarchy and some sort of prayer leader

>implying god cares enough about you to give you a direct neural link to The Greatest
Gotta pay your tithe if you want priority access, famalam.

Great satire, friend.

>this protty meme
>again
Art =! Idol Worship

That's because you think you're better than the Church and the Saints because you're an arrogant prideful shitheel who is going to Hell.

How is being a Protestant satanism? I'm personally a catholic, my country is mostly catholic and my grandma is catholic but I don't agree with the current church teachings personally, in some cases they go against the bible (such as Francis saying atheists can go to heaven when this is not the case according to the bible) so how is this better than the hundreds of different Protestant churches?

d/c kike

I don't shitpost when it comes to Christian discussions

Go to a church/churches and simply talk to the minister/priest there about it all. Faith is a very personal thing that you have to figure out for yourself.

Coming from an atheïst; Protestants are usually reasonable people and mostly think for themself. Catholics however tend to be just ignorant. Can't believe plebs weren't even allowed to read the bible for the first thousand years of catholism. Also they supported (and facilitated) pedophiles on a global level.

Thanks, I will do that. I've been attending a family church this summer. I have extended family who go there but I don't feel its quite right for me.

Do you believe the Earth is 6000 years old too?

I'm a cultural Christian and I go to church because I acknowledge that it's a good moral foundation for our society.

>Protestants think it's cool to marry their cousins and once conducted witch hunts, for the glory of Christ, of course.
>Catholics opposed inbreeding, including cousins marrying each other, and was completely against witch hunts because they knew magic isn't real.
If it wasn't for Catholics, Europeans would on par with ISIS today, and the many inbred Muslim countries that continue their Consanguineous marriages.

Hell, they are still Protestants today who believe the King James Edition is the only accurate translation of the Bible, still literally believes the Genesis Creation Account, word for word, and still practices the Laws of Moses.

Yes I do

>he isn't a Militant Catholic
>he doesn't search out corruption and liberal infiltration within the clergy
>he doesn't fix the church from within

I'm a sedevacantist, and supporter of SSPX. Quite happy for Francis to be airdropped into ISIS territory. He is the fucking antichrist.

KJV is the best one, genesis is 100% accurate, the bible is meant to be taken literally.

Protestants are just shitty white trash who turned their own pathetic lifestyle into a religion.

Evangelicals are the fucking worst.

Lutherans and Episcopalians are ok.

>We do know though that we didn't evolve

God damn I really get triggered by christfags thinking they ((((know)))) something while their are mountains of evidence against their "'knowledge"".

Well I guess Kek confirms it. PRAISE KEK!

Orthodoxy gets closer than either.

There is absolutely no evidence for evolution, it's a stupid theory from a time when people believed masturbation caused epilepsy and that circumcision could cure insanity.
Don't worship false gods

Yeah I noticed that

It is pretty bad when anyone who's studied high school genetics can understand evolution.

STOP POSTING PICTURES OF THE POPE ON OUR TWITTER MESSAGES,MIKE!

protestants are all heretic loonies.

Eastern Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox are pretty awesome.

Orthodoxy is about worshiping shiny icons. Christianity for niggers.

>"endless rituals"
They don't call your approach "low church" for nothing, Tyrone.

Cathedrals are built as tribute to the glory of God ; worship is not about LARPing muh poor 1st century nazarenes.
The latter in fact is HEAVILY ridiculous, especially in America. A flimsy wooden "humble" temple... with 20 top-end SUVs parked in front...???
Protestant """puritanism""" is Saudi-tier """puritan"""

There are no "current church teachings ", there is only the eternal teachings. The pope can't change them. He's an idiot. Ignore him.

No it isn't. Get the one it was based on leaf. www.drbo.org

>HOW to study the bible
tracystreasury.blogspot.com/2013/10/my-bible-marking-system.html#more
biblestudy.org/basicart/mark-your-bible-for-effective-studies.html
biblehub.com/concordance/
biblestudyguide.org/topical/
>HOW TO PRAY
robertwells.tripod.com/howtopray.html (Long but good).

> HOW TO MEDITATE
liveanddare.com/contemplative-prayer-and-christian-meditation/#3_SITTING_IN_THE_PRESENCE_OF_GOD
>HOW TO CUT DOWN ON COFFEE AND OTHER STIMULANTS
humansarefree.com/2013/02/japanese-water-therapy-heal-your-body.html

Sample rite. Sort of over-detailed in order to be channer-friendly.
>the previous day stop eating 4 hours before going to bed and switch off all electronics
>Wake up 1,5 hours before you need to leave, alternately wake up 1 hour before sunrise
>Drink water right after opening your eyes and get out of bed and onto a chair/onto the floor/a meditation bench
>read your scheduled verses
>pray silently with closed eyes and straight posture
>set clock to 5 minutes
>meditate until the clock rings
>do light exercise (ln.steamy.moe/msetlr.jpg)
>clean yourself
>eat once 45 minutes counted from rising have elapsed

EVENING:
>log off everything for the day
>Review day
>write 5 things you're thankful for
>write 3 things you wish to improve on
>read assigned verses
>thank for thingd you wrote
>ask for the things you wrote
>thank again
>get into bed
>sleep

Hope this helps.

breitbart.com/london/2015/10/05/worlds-first-lesbian-bishop-calls-church-remove-crosses-install-muslim-prayer-space/

protestants=heretics

Former atheist here, been considering becoming Protestant for a while. Which denomination should I chose?

>Pope says gay marriage is from satan
cnsnews.com/news/article/pope-francis-same-sex-marriage-move-father-lies-total-rejection-gods-law
>Pope Francis speaks against Gay adoption
wdtprs.com/blog/2013/12/pope-francis-shocked-by-gay-adoption-urges-bishop-to-speak-against-it-boldly/
>Compares trans rights to nuclear arms race
independent.co.uk/news/people/pope-francis-compares-arguments-for-transgender-rights-to-nuclear-arms-race-10061223.html
>Pope Francis says that there's no salvation outside the Church
catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2013/06/03/pope-francis-is-under-attack-for-saying-that-outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation-its-a-poke-in-the-eye-says-one-presbyterian-why-hes-wrong/
>He excommunicates an Australian priest supporting gay marriage and women clergy
huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/pope-francis-excommunicates-priest-greg-reynolds_n_3983059.html
>Pope Francis is against gender theory and for traditional gender roles
ncronline.org/blogs/francis-chronicles/pope-francis-gender-theory-problem-not-solution
>Pope is against abortion
lifenews.com/2015/09/23/pope-francis-on-abortions-innocent-victims-its-wrong-to-look-the-other-way-or-remain-silent/
>He Encourages the use of force against ISIS
businessinsider.com/pope-francis-endorses-use-of-force-against-isis-in-iraq-2014-8
>Pope Francis is against lukewarm "faith"
catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-off-the-cuff-to-priests-religious-indifference-makes-god-vomit-69700/
>The Pope is misquoted often
christianpost.com/buzzvine/7-times-pope-francis-was-misquoted-132679/
>The Pope Rebukes Communist Cross
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/bolivia/11729834/Pope-rebukes-Bolivias-President-Evo-Morales-for-gift-of-crucifix-mounted-on-hammer-and-sickle.html

not gonna defend francis but you just spread bullshit

this was meant for

Ask Christians a serious question regarding conversion and get snubbed, go figure.

Protestantism is a joke at this point, at least here in Sweden.

Don't all Protestants follow the Bible? How can she get away with this?

Church of Sweden is basically controlled by the government and we all know how the Swedish government is.

I suppose you don't have any pictures of your family around or on your phone? Catholics don't love and worship statues like they are God. They just have them around for artistic reasons and because the saint are our friends and remind us to practice the virtues. Of all the anti catholic bs Protestants spread , the idol worship has to be the weakest. All the great works of art of Michelangelo are idols? Btfo

Your question was really vague to be honest. Asking what denomination to try without stating your current beliefs is pretty hard to pinpoint. If you aren't sure yourself you should just try different denominations and get a feel for their beliefs and stances on key issues.

The fossil record is massive. Can you please point to one fossil that shows one species on its way to becoming another?

Also note. Things that will help you open up your awareness:

-Fasting
-Starting to jog and walk in nature
-Cutting down on entertainment of any kind (it's a mass issue, not a sin issue)
-Changing your diet for a week
-Cutting out alcohol, caffeine, pot, nicotine etc
-Cutting down on masturbation. Sex is fine unless you're fasting at the moment.

It will take about one week to start opening up your mind.

A month to gain the sort of awareness required to assess the spiritual signficance of a person.

Three to hear God's word as a matter of course.

Be sure to fast at least once a month.

Good luck, and god bless.

Read this then go to the Latin mass. Preferably SSPX.

ewtn.com/library/SPIRIT/MAPLIF.TXT

I have no beliefs other than the knowledge that the universe had to be created by an intelligent being.
I want to know what denomination is the correct version of Christianity. Some believe in the Rapture, and some don't. Some believe in predestination, and some don't. Just visiting churches and going with something I like sounds like shopping for a Church you agree with. I truly believe in God, and therefore acknowledge that his will is different than my own.

So basically, what denomination is the most Biblically correct?

Traditional Catholicism.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
I come from a Protestant family that gets insanely triggered by Catholics and the Virgin Mary, so I'm reluctant to go the Catholic route, but it does look more and more appealing with time.

Welcome to the question of the century and prepare to get a billion different answers user. If it was so clean cut there wouldn't be a billion different denominations. Personally I think the Orthodox, conservative Catholics, and conservative Lutherans are closest to the truth but then right after me you might have someone say Southern Baptist or Mormon or JW or Calvinist or whatever.

Just read the bible and come to your own conclusion. I call myself catholic for simplicities sake because my family is catholic, but I feel it strays away too much from the bible.
Jesus mentioned fasting so it's very important for Christians to fast, it helps clear the mind clear the body up a bit, it doesn't mean the Muslim style fast but an abstinence from something. Eat a lot of junk food and want to cut down? Abstain from junk food that week, see how you feel.
Also I completely disagree, sex is not fine unless it's with your wife and even then there must be times of abstinence, and during her time of the month it's forbidden.
Masturbation is absolutely necessary to cut down on and eventually completely quit. It's damaging to the body, mind and spirit.
Alcohol should be completely removed from the diet, or if it is drunk do not get intoxicated. Completely remove caffeine from your diet, it's unnecessary. Be active, eat healthy and you'll see your sleep schedule get better just from going to the gym and being a healthy eater.
Nicotine should be avoided also.

How hypocritical is it to build a billion dollar cathedral when Jesus said to give what you have to the poor

The early church fathers were Catholic. So was Augustine and Aquinas. Every doctrine of the Church is biblically based. As for Mary, think of it like this. Wouldn't you expect the man-God Jesus to love his mother? We love her too. Not more than God, but we hold her in the highest esteem because she is the mother of our savior.

The evolution of the mollusca phylum. It's quite fascinating actually.

Development of radial symmetry in the echinodermata phylum and then bilateral symmetry again is another good example.

All have a good fossil record.

>Why does Protestantism seem so authentic and personal while Catholicism seems like nothing but endless rituals?

The Great Awakenings, at least in America. They stressed the need for personal salvation and the role of the individual. This had the unfortunate side effect of stressing individual interpenetration of the Word, which lingered long after the devotion it accompanied had faded.

Probably no more hypocritical than megachurch shopping malls and their pastors driving Lambos and flying private jets.

The problem I have with all this is that it leads to religion shopping based on personal preferences.
I've been an atheist for a while, after proudly strutting my own path for all these years I came to the realization that I can't find happiness unless I subordinate myself to God's will.
That's why I want to know which denomination is the most authentic.

>As for Mary, think of it like this. Wouldn't you expect the man-God Jesus to love his mother? We love her too. Not more than God, but we hold her in the highest esteem because she is the mother of our savior.

B-b-but my protestant leader said you guys worship her as a god and he would never mislead me!

daily reminder catholics and protestants should get along and fight the real enemies, islam, jews and atheism

You sound like Judas. Remember Jesus said the poor will always be with us, but I am only with you a short time and he let the woman anoint him with the expensive oil. Beautiful churches are built for everyone to uplift the spirit and help you think of higher things. They are a foretaste of Heaven.

how long are the mods going to let you pollute a political discussion board with your daily "epic religion question" threads.

protestantism and catholicism are both garbage hypocrite religions. no one follows the bible to the letter.

daily reminder: if you're catholic or protestant, you're going to hell.

>you get to choose whether or not a particular deity is real and what his terms and conditions are

63% of the Swedish population is member of the Church of Sweden but only about 2% are actively participating in it. So no one really cares.

youtube.com/watch?v=pQ6CsTtEMu4
Watch this with subtitles if you want to learn how shit the Church of Sweden is.

Formally the state and the church are separated since 2000 but the Church of Sweden still is subsidized by tax payers money so there is no doubt a connection.

>Sweden.jpg

I don't want to say which is correct which isn't, some people will be very quick to say "this church" or "that church" what I suggest is just read the bible, read the bible and reads about different churches and then come to your own conclusion. I consider myself non denominational, it's like trying to choose different TV models, one has this feature but doesn't have that, one has that feature but doesn't have this.
For me personally finding a church is very hard because I'm a fundamentalist, and it seems to me that no church church really accepts these beliefs. I honestly have no idea how many fundamentalist Christians are even in Canada

...It doesn't? They both seem like retarded cults

churches are supposed to be a place of worship, free of grandeur and extravagance. people (read: sheep) mindlessly dump money into these churches. you shouldn't have to have a singular place that is the only place you can go to uplift your spirit and help you think of higher things.

>evangelicals are the fucking worst
This 100%

What exactly is an evengelical?

Explain this

>"no, MY specific offshoot of a 2000 year old Jewish cult is the most correctest": The Thread

Both ignore different parts of Jesus' teachings.

Yes, because that's how it works in Early Christianity

Keep your ugly carpet churches with your plain crosses you uncultured philistine. You can be just like the iconoclastic Muslims. I'll stick with western civilization.

Because Protestantism is the truth

And it ironically denies all of Early Christianity

>A fucking leaf
>Heresy

Nothing to see here

besides the fact that "protestant" and "catholic" can mean many different things, my experience in a mixed household is that of protestant = character-building and catholicism = redemption, in simplest terms

>it's probably best to just have a study group and eschew churches
those are also protestants, they're called unitarian universalists

Holy shit the cringe here... Almost as bad as the end-time evangelical protestant high school I went to.

Catholicism seems so much more peaceful and the followers so much secure in their faith. And protestards need to motivate themselves and generate euphoria from motivational speaking interlaced with Christian rock music, as well as generally never shut the fuck up about their faith.

To be frank, this all sounds like a bunch of nonsense. I'm not shopping for TVs, I'm searching for God. All I want to know is which denomination is the most authentic.