Can we get a scary comic on here please

Can we get a scary comic on here please

Define what you mean. Scary is incredibly subjective.

So is someone storytiming something in here or what?

Honestly for me, comics are a difficult medium to create horror in. They're inherently more limited than others, due to the very nature of the medium. They're more static, they have no sound, so you can't rely on scary noises or a spooky soundtrack, so it's that much harder to establish a scary atmosphere.

You have to rely purely on imagery and good writing. That's why it's extremely important to have a good artist whose art style lends itself well to horror.

Of what I've read, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Afterlife in Archie, and some bits of Hack/Slash are pretty good. Frazer Irving is also a good comic book artist whose style is great for horror but I don't think he does too many horror comics ironically enough.

Not OP, but that coloring is too bright.
Which is a shame, because it's an otherwise fine comic.

Well, that's why I asked. In comics, it's incredibly subjective. Personally, when I think of the scariest comics I've ever read, I think of Asscastle and Illegal Batman. Because those are so fucking bizarre and impossibly insane, that they break my ideas of a standard narrative and just leave me feeling confused, empty, and desperate for answers that I know don't exist. Regular horror comics? The kinds that you would actually define as horror? They don't scare me. They're pretty straightforward. I understand them, so they don't really get under my skin.

Not to get too Sup Forums here, but I think manga does this better. Junji Ito does shit that is clearly supposed to be horror, but his subjects and plots are so fucking left-field insane that you can't really find an anchor for understanding them in a traditional sense.

>Writing Lovecraft shit as just demons of the sea
Weak

I thought about posting the Necromonicon, but I figured most people would just be pissed and say it was stupid. It's mostly unreadable text, after all.

>Well, that's why I asked. In comics, it's incredibly subjective. Personally, when I think of the scariest comics I've ever read, I think of Asscastle and Illegal Batman.

>Asscastle
Just googled this. What the fuck am I reading?

Yeah. Exactly. That's why I consider it terrifying. That "What the fuck am I reading" quality really disturbs me. I guess it's just a personal thing, but the entire time I'm reading something like that, I can't help but try to fathom the depravities of the human mind that was even able to come up with that shit.

That's what I think of when I think scary.

Traditional scary shit like Black Hole? I get what the guy was going for. It's not scary, it's just dense layering on a simple metaphor. Asscastle? I have no fucking clue what the shit the guy was going for.

I want more of this

Well, like I said before, Illegal Batman scares the shit out of me. Not for anything logical. That's the point. It's technically a plot and a story that I can follow, but there is no fucking logic to be found here.

As long as it gives me a good brain hemorrhage

Broodhollow isn't that scary for the most part, but this strip was goddamn frightening.

I'm so fucking glad that he's finally working on that again. I love Broodhollow.

Bottlestreet Boys ;_;

I know what you mean, I started and caught up with it mid hiatus, and was extremely confused a couple weeks after I caught up.

I need to binge it again. It's been a while. I don't really remember everything from Book 1, where they established the amnesia that everyone deals with.

Also I don't remember how Wadsworth got Mercy. MERCY A CUTE!

If I remember correctly, the town was being swarmed by gigantic bats, which somehow turned out to be regular bats that he was just hallucinating as giant, but that also doesn't explain why the Bottlestreet Boys were fighting them as they were, but then again that might be the point. Fuck I need to reread it too.

Yeah, it's clearly doing something where you really have no idea what is real and what isn't real.

Anyone know if fall of cthulu is any good?

Nameless.
Wytches.
Neonomicon.
Colder.
Etc.

If you took 10 seconds to google "horror comics" you would find plenty more, but you just had to make a rec thread, didn't you?

It promotes conversation with fellow anons with similar interests.
What's the one Moore's currently doing that I guess is in the same timeline as Neonomicon?

Providence?

web comics fucking suck

Some people think this is scary. Personally, I think it's sweet and loving.

Ehh, after reading both of these, I kind of get what you're getting at, but I disagree.

Conventional horror in comics is definitely creepier.

I found this one to be genuinely unsettling when I first read it.