New Characters added to shows

So if a cartoon introduces a character nobody likes he's referred to as "The Poochy" but what would be some examples of "Anti-Poochies" new characters added to shows people actually enjoy

ReBoot went full dark and edgy in season 3 and most people prefer it to its previous seasons. So I guess you could say adult Enzo and adult Andraia.

Lisa Raccoon - only showed up in the final season.

I often think of 'anti-Poochies' as 'Steve Urkels'.

Ben Wyatt in Parks and Rec, I guess
can't think of any cartoon examples

Peridot

You just fucking started a shitstorm

Kimi?

Peridot.

the original wacky sidekicks usurpers
The Fonzies and Urkels of the world

>implying SU is enjoyable

Toph
Best character who got introduced halfway through the show

I never really got why she's so loved. She's perfect right off the bat and never undergoes any sort of growth or self-doubt.

Then I remember barefoot blind loli and it all makes sense that Sup Forums's all over her.

Fuck off /sug/

what do you call a character whose in the show from the start but is still poochy-like in every way

Goo in Foster's Home was cute.

Stevens Universe

The Scrappy.

>My face upon hearing that there are actually people who don't like Peridot

Wesley Crusher

Wrong. Scrappy was a later addition.

As a matter of fact, Poochie shouldn't even be a trope namer, seeing that Scrappy cover that notion perfectly.

>never undergoes any sort of growth or self-doubt.
did...did you watch the show?

>voicing disdain for Peridot haters
>linking to people that have posted how Peridot is a new character that only improved the show she was introduced to.

Damn, you SU fans just really like to get angry, don't you? Seriously, get pissed at the trolls, but don't attack those who actually agree with you.

Scrappy is child character, but he wasn't supposed to be cool.Hence why he has his own trope. There's a difference.

You are being too specific. A scrappy is a character added to the show later in production with the intend to revive the audience interest, but who turn out to be disliked and found annoying by most.

This is what a scrappy is and it cover the notion of poochie on point.

Actually, Scrappy wasn't immediately hated. If anything, Scrappy actually saved the show. In the late 70's, the viewership was going down. Then they introduced Scrappy and the child demographic responded well to him, as well as viewership going up.

It's only in hindsight that we blame Scrappy for everything wrong with the world. I personally would blame Flim Flam, he was kinda responsible for the cancellation of 13 Ghosts Of Scooby-Doo due to people not really liking him.

I... I actually liked Flimflam. I didn't knew he was disliked.

Scrappy was popular at the time. It was a combination of other shows mimicing the formula and scrappy getting pushed for decades what made him hated.

A Poochie has the extra addition of being new and immediately being pushed as super-cool or badass.

Katara

So... He's the John Cena of Cartoons?

Well, the thing is that he got less exposure than Scrappy. People remember him more fondly, till you figure out that he is just a more annoying version of Scrappy. I mean, 13 Ghosts was the shortest running Scooby Doo series for a very good reason.

It wasn't the original cast we trusted and loved.
Flimflam was a bad attempt to connect with the ghetto auidence.

To be fair, the show is terrible through and through. Not just because of Flim Flam. It was trying to push comedy routines pretty hard and failed miserably at it.

Dammit, now I just have the mental image of a bunch of Latino gangs in a shoot-out before looking at their watches

>"SHIT, HOMES, WE GOTTA GET BACK TO DA CRIB BEFORE 13 GHOSTS STARTS!!!"
>"Dat Flim Flam's my man, homes."

Some of the show was enjoyable, but holy crap the production values are bad.

Even as a little kid, i was watching and noticing all the animation errors, the inconsistencies, the forced comedy. It's like they forgot what humor was and tried slapstick-lite instead.

>"Violent gang shootout turned into family cartoon marathon. Mayor says commision more 13 Ghosts."
>Live reports of witnesses, Jamal, 13: "Dey be hollerin' but we be hollan back tho. Den dis lil' nigga, my nigga be a wizard'n'shit and be on screen!"
> Le-ia, 15, "I want sum' o dem flimflams to my schmooch schmooch."
> Jamal continues: "We wuz scooby doo 'n shiieeeet, shiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet."

Felicity Smoak

I raise you Donna Smoak.
Or Iris West. Iris pulled an entire Lois Lane career of Smallville in one fucking season 1. That much condensed shit should be banned and barred from any kind of medium.

Are you out of your cotton picking mind? Katara is awesome. Her and Mai are best ATLA girls.

to be fair, stump WAS cool though

Damn, didn't mean to quote

Her first couple appearances she was pretty mild, it was just Oliver stopping by for 3 minutes and getting her to do something while making retarded excuses. It was only when they got reactions on how much people liked her they started pushing her more

But Urkle was there from the beginning. Are you thinking of his alter ego who eventually became a actual character alongside Urkle?

Thank god i don't know a single thing about Steven Urkel - never had the pleasure to watch it, and i'm not complaining.

Butters

Butters is the lovable butt of the joke.
Token on the other hand...

What is it when there's an unredeemable character that has no redeeming qualities, but there was no clear reason to why they were added?

Characters are added to convey messages.
IF there is no message, or it's a bad quip, it's a meta character shitting on the previous statement.

Starlight Glimmer. Just kidding, she sucks.

I think the difference is that Scrappies are actually liked at the time and it's only in hindsight that people notice
>hey, he was actually a bit shit, wasn't he?
after all, Scrappy at the time had tons of merchandise and own spin-offs.
Poochies on the other hand are disliked right from the start and as soon as Execs notice they put in the Reverse Gear and try to fundamentally change him into something better or throw him out altogether.
poochies are for all intents and purposes failed scrappy-attempts.

Not Sup Forums, or a "Anti-Poochie", but a replacement. Ruddy from Misfits, once Nathan left.

>So if a cartoon introduces a character nobody likes he's referred to as "The Poochy"
that's not what a poochy is you stupid fuck

Toph

no one fucking liked slimer, why execs pushed hm so hard I don't know

Oh, because his post isn't tongue-in-cheek, but he's actually seething with rage, right?

Because kid shows always needed something that acted cute and spoke gibberish.

starlight glimmer

wrongo. the correct answer is Jasper

Urkel was annoying as fuck and destroyed the reason Family Matters existed in the first place

Who here remembers that it was supposed to be a spinoff of Perfect Strangers

This

A character that is such a Mary Sue that the actor playing him fucking hated him

Thank you, I was starting to think no one would say anything. It's close, but not quite right.

What would Cousin Oliver from Brady Bunch be? A scrappy?

Homeworld gems in SU

He'd be a Ninja Turtle in 1990.

Didn;t Korra prove that she didn't really grow at all? She was a terrible, neglectful mother and fucked off to live alone in a swamp forever.

To be fair, the Will Wheaton's more annoying himself than Wesley ever was.

I find it amazing that he hasn't been in anything since the first live action movie. Especially since there is a new Scooby direct to dvd movie every month.

But Hex was literally the only good part of that show

Wil Wheaton didn't really hate playing the character at the time. After all, he was a kid, what did he know?

What bothered him most was that Wesley would appear on the show inconsistently and doing so prevented him from doing other shows because the shooting schedule for star trek was not great.

Literally flawless.

Weird as fuck where that show went. It was just a normal sitcom with those characters but Urkel just had to show up and everything was about him. While I thought it was funny (I was about 5 when it came out) I quickly got bored of him. Yeah they did more with the character but I just didn't find him that funny after a while since it was the same fucking joke over and over again. Urkel breaks something and says "did I do that?" Simpsons nailed it with that episode with Bart doing the same thing but saying "I didn't do it"

>In the end he basically became god
I really wonder if the writers even had any actual plans with the stupid character. Honestly the one and only time I actually liked a episode with him was when he and his classmate's were covering up them doing that flying thing and got a classmate killed. Since it was the few times where he ever was really shown to be fucking human.

Funny enough a character I kind of wish they used more but also glad they didn't was Barclay. I think he only had 3 or 4 episodes on TNG but in those few episodes he showed more growth than basically anyone on that show.

Not Sup Forums but every replacement character on M.A.S.H. is great.

There is literally not one character on M.A.S.H that I don't like.

Plus he got like, death threats because people hated the character so much. I can't image what that would be like for a kid.

Peridot

He and Chris are really good examples actually.

Token is barely around, Jimmy is a better example.

Weirdly enough the team behind the show went out of their way to replace each character with someone the opposite of each other.
Henry Blake (someone that didn't really care about army regulations rules) -> Potter (Army vet)
Trapper John (womanizer) -> Hunnicutt (married)
Frank Burns (horrible doctor and with no real class) -> Winchester (amazing doctor with class)

It's actually pretty amazing how well it kept working out.

Young Justice has tons of these. Artemis, Impulse, and Blue Beetle are probably the best examples.

What about Stanford Pines?

Huh, I never though about it that way before, but it makes a lot of sense.

He's not really a character as much as he is a device.

shows up in the second episode and stays for the entire series

weren't the first and second episodes aired together though?

I bet Roddenberry was setting him up to replace Picard.

Lord dominator

It's really the best thing you can do for whatever media you are doing. Since if you are just doing the same character people will either wonder why even replace the character or the new character is just a cheap version of the real character.

Also helps how every character that left had a strong story to go with it.
>Blake plane was shot down
>Burns went back because of insanity
Trapper didn't but BJ bonding really helped people enjoy BJ even with Trapper leaving.
That honestly wouldn't surprise me if that was in the back of his mind.

i can't tell you why he was made to begin (tho Roddenberry said Wesley was based off him at 14) but i can tell you why he fucked off with the Traveler

>Ronald D. Moore: "I was the one who pushed to get Wesley out of the Academy and send him off with the Traveler. I felt that there was a built-in contradiction in a character that we'd said was like Mozart in his appreciation of higher mathematics and physics, yet was just on the same career path as any Starfleet cadet. I didn't get it – if Wes is truly special and gifted, what the hell is he doing at the Helm? It seemed like he was only going to the Academy to live up to the memory of his father and the expectations of Picard, not because it was his best destiny. "Journey's End" also seemed like an opportunity to see someone walk away from Starfleet with their head held high and just say "It's cool, but not for me." I was tired of everyone in the 24th century saying, "All I want to do is wear the uniform and serve on a starship." Hey, it's cool, but it's not for everyone. So I pushed to have Wes realize his destiny was elsewhere and have him walk away." (AOL chat, 1997)

That's cool and all but the problem was that it just reinforced what made people not like Wesley. He was just too god damn special and the idea of him gaining powers like that just made it even worse. I just think it's funny how in Nemesis he's just back with no one questioning what the fuck happened.

>adult Enzo
That's not how you spell Matrix

no he wasn't he was a one off nerd joke, then became a recurring character, and then eventually the focus of the show. the original 'goof ball next door' character a girl that hung with laura, but she was pretty similar to the girl on full house.

Urkele was less a character introduced to retool a show to save it from bad rating though, it was more lighting in a bottle type situation.

As a wrestling fan, I know a Poochie as a character who becomes overly important to the detriment of the show (coined by Real Deal back when people read Wrestlecrap.) This is based on Homer's notes for the character ("One, Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Poochie's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Poochie"? Three...") The best example of a Poochie is Kevin Nash after he started booking WCW.

To me, the thread's definition of a Poochie is a Cousin Oliver. I do agree that a reverse Cousin Oliver should be called a Ben Wyatt or possibly even a Jefferson D'Arcy.

As for the topic at hand, do Markula on ATHF and Tammi on Squidbillies count?

>b-b-but muh J.K. Simmons

I liked Choni. She was fun.