Film Industry has gone to shit

It is me or has 90% films been shit-tier after late 2000s? Where are the new Titanics, Scarfaces, 5th elements? Are films a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SOYGHAYR_FE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

DAE lewronggeneration?
You're right though.

You're pretty insightful for someone clearly under the age of 25.
Are you going to say something profound like "people use cell phones too much" next?

Yes, it's called the degeneration of culture. Don't believe people who say "everything stays the same! Things have always been this bad"

2014 was a good year but yeah everything besides that has been pretty shitty

We only remember good movies, in 10 years people will be looking back to 2010s with nostalgia for the better films, while ignoring all the stinkers

Almost everyone on this site is under 25, grandpa. Want a Jello?

With the rise of widespread broadband, the Internet has shortened the window for cultural relevancy. Avatar was probably the last truly massive blockbuster.

Culture shifts too fast for films to act as as a cultural milestone now.

Unless you mean there aren't good films being made anymore. In that case you're just being a whiny contrarian.

Went to the movies yesterday, these were the previews

>"the big sick" a heartfelt film about a pakistani man and a white women overcoming racial stereotypes im their relationship

>"megan leavey" a story about a woman marine in afghanistan with her dog

>"three billboards outside ebbing missouri" anti police film

>"atomic blondie" a lesbin spy in east berlin

>"baby driver" jon hamm and kevin spacey with some driving prodigy who is a professional get away driver (most promising of the lot)

The state of kino in 2017 is bad

the business changed. theres no money in film anymore, no dvd sales/rentals, too much pirating. its not worth it to make mid-budget drama films, its either 100 million dollar action/comic book shit or mediocre 1-5 million indie drama.

film is dead

Burgerclaps have no culture, the only thing that's changed is Sup Forums

All of those films are shit, you just grew up and got better taste.

This thread fucking reeks of "I just saw taxi driver for the first time"

Not even joking, but Get Out will be THE horror movie of the 2010s that will be remembered similar to the shining.

sturgeon's law, underage

American Gangster was garbage

No, it won't. It'll be forgotten in a few months, like all the other mediocre "OMG horror movies are back and good now" movies of the past few years.

Go watch John Wick 2

>what is The Master, Fury Road, The Hunt, The Social Network, Drive, Inside Llewyn Davis, The Witch

You're just thinking of the past like all the great films happened in a single year.
90% of films are always shit, no matter the time period.

>never again opening this comfy
youtube.com/watch?v=SOYGHAYR_FE

Atomic Blonde actually ruined my movie because I was watching Fate of the Furious and her character was such an ultra-SJW girlpower bitch that I actually began hating Charlize Theron, then I had to watch virtually the exact same character and damn I am lucky that there were no tall blondes on my way out.

Summer blobkbuster movies turned into superhero movies.

Why come up with anything new when you can just ask the le old cartoon guy for some ideas and use any of the pre-existing 200 superheroes in whatever the fuck scenario you come up with and make serious bank with it?

But user, you've got Spider-Man, The Avengers, and Wonder Woman. You don't need cinema anymore. You've got muli-film universes.

Agree!!!

Hollywood has been dying since the 90s. In the 2000-2010 timeframe, it was already hobbled but still showing occasional signs of life. Now it is in its death throes.

This. All the people pirating stuff are part of the problem. Filmmakers have to be able to make a living. Maybe new business models, like direct sales online, will take the place of the old.

nah sorry retard.
there's plenty of talented people who can make a great movie economically. studios are just mired in corporate politics so that they don't take risks for their own dumb reasons, and some studios like Sony are just run by SJW maniacs like Amy Pascal. Paying them more money wouldn't make it any better, they need to collapse

Movies started going downhill at the start of the 2000s, and have steadily gotten worse since.

Before there was more variation and original ideas, now it's all sequels, prequels and reboots. And most of them are capeshit.

>too much piracy

this is offset by the fact that nowadays you can make an indie feature like Blue Ruin, The Babadook, The Void or It Follows for as little as $500,000 total budget, and it can have the same visual fidelity and better cinematography / pacing than a $100+ million Hollywood blockbuster - as long as you've got the filmmaking prowess and directing talent to do it well. For amateur filmmakers like this, any exposure is good - including piracy. Word of mouth and discussion allows them to sign their movie on services like Netflix, and can propel them into the world of high-budget filmmaking.

Nah. There are always way more shitty movies coming out than there are gems. We just forget about all the shitty movies from the past and only remember the gems. The same is going to be true about movies made today, when we look back at 2017 from 20 years in the future

>Nah. There are always way more shitty movies coming out than there are gems. We just forget about all the shitty movies from the past and only remember the gems. The same is going to be true about movies made today, when we look back at 2017 from 20 years in the future
I really think you are wrong about this. I watch alot of movies and there is definitely a decline in overall quality in favor of mass appeal.

my grandpa feels the same way about movies from the 1930's and 40's; he says movies have all steadily been going downhill since then as he blissfully watches corny shit like Mr Smith Goes to Washington. Just because you personally prefer older movies doesn't mean the newer ones are actually bad. You probably just have a predisposition to dislike things that aren't nostalgic to you or that remind you of present day society

no, people are already aware this decade is trash in all areas.

those are garbage films no better than garbage films that get praised today like interstellar and mad max 4

>we will never ever see a film made like Apocalypse Now ever again

Honestly can you imagine Nolan slowly losing his fucking mind in the middle of a rain forest with his cast suffering heart attacks and storms destroying his set

YOU GONNA SHOOT ME FRANK?

modenr filmmakers are too numale for that.

But that's a dumb copout answer. Have not noticed how many capeshit movies are made these day? Are the others that much better? How memorable movies has Hollywood made in the last few years? Face it, movies are simply bad right now.

a lot of the time, your experience watching a new movie is ruined by the hype surrounding it and its annoying fanbase championing it as the best thing ever. With old movies, nobody ever talks about them anymore so you very rarely are going to have expectations set too high. Most of the time, in fact, people's expectations of older movies are automatically lowered just because they are old

20%

What are you gonna do? Huh, Sup Forums? Stop watching movies? Yeah go ahead and stop watching movies in front of all these people. You ass aint gonna have anything to post about, Sup Forums. Go ahead.

I watch non-US cinema and tv-series.

the amount of shit produced and gaining exposure compared to gems has increased objectively. i think people go to movies nowadays to watch vfx badaboom and most thriller-drama transitioned to tv format ie westworld, got, mr robot, etc.

previously vfx weren't cheap and abundant so they had to come up with interesting plot. now they throw in a bunch of 3d, make money and be done with it.

also top directors like cameron, scorcese, fincher, boyle etc are getting old with no replacement, same with actors and screenwriters

>Have not noticed how many capeshit movies are made these day?
I just said that movies released today are like 95% shit and 5% gems, just like how it's been since the beginning.

>Are the others that much better?
there are some really good ones. I gotta take an online final exam right now but this user posted a few

Art isn't profitable anymore. I hope you enjoyed the Minions and Baby Groot because the future of movies will have a lot of that!

>muh capeshit
>muh baby groot
>it didn't used to be this way, blockbusters used to mean something!!!

Literally every single movie you mentioned flopped. Hollywood is dead kiddos, better sell it to the chinks before they get wiser

>Fury Road
>flopped
pahahahahahahahaahhahaahahahhahahahahahahahah
citation needed

>I just said that movies released today are like 95% shit and 5% gems, just like how it's been since the beginning.
You're wrong.

>there are some really good ones. I gotta take an online final exam right now but this user posted a few
None of those movies will be remembered as great, and none of them will be seen/studied as exemplary pieces of cinema in the future.

>Cherrypicking
Now pick a film made in the last 5 years that people will watch in 20 years and say "Wow, this is one of the greats". There are none.

Look it up son, it's not pretty

I watch a lot of movies. Again. there has been an obvious decline in quality in favor of mass appeal.

>shittalking The Master

PIG FUCK

>the business changed.

And the Jews refuse to adapt.

They refuse to accept the fact that technology destroyed the monopoly they once had on film distribution, and instead of adapting by adopting a new business model, they're sticking with the same shit that died along with the last century.

Why not develop company computer servers and launch your films directly to the customer on-line? Why not stop wasting money delivering individual film stock to individual theaters and just send it to them digitally on-line? Why not develop a studio server system that allows the customer to stream ANY of a studio's films ever made, including behind the scenes shit?

Nah, fuck that. Let's just stick with what worked the last century and bitch about "pirates".

Fuck those Jew motherfuckers, and their shitty films.

>You're wrong.
not an argument

>None of those movies will be remembered as great, and none of them will be seen/studied as exemplary pieces of cinema in the future.
you find that out from your crystal ball? You have no idea what the kids of today will be like as adults in the future, or even what the adults of today will be like when they're 20 years older.

People are always nostalgic about the past. In 2037, people will probably be having this exact same discussion, only they'll be asking why nobody makes movies like No Country for Old Men, Whiplash or even Interstellar anymore

>Every warrior hopes a good death will find him. But Tristan couldn't wait, he went looking for his.

But good movies with a little mass appeal used to make money too. Lord of the Rings was a hit, Gladiator too, Lynch made money with Blue Velvet and so on. Now everything that doesn't appeal to kids and manchildren a la baby groot bombs, and therefore every year less people try to make these kind of movies

I liked it better when I didn't know. I honestly thought normies loved it.

wow

holy fuck, ID4 made bank

There is actually a system they're developing where you would get access to new release movies (in theaters) 3 weeks from release for like $50 rental. Pretty high unless it's a movie you're going to invites friends over to watch one night instead of going to the theaters.

You are aware that there's more to film than mainstream Hollywood movies right?

Uhh, no hun.

Same arguments every fucking board. Doesn't matter what the medium is, nostalgiafags are certain that things just aren't as good as they used to be, and they're always btfo.

You say that but you know we are never going to get anything on the scale of Apocalypse Now ever again.
It's been 40 years an nothing like it will ever be made again. I'm 20 so I'm not even a nostalgiafag it's just that it will literally never happen.

miss citizen dildo yet?

I used to think this, but then I watched consumer standards continue to plummet as people are more willing by the day to pay for the ever advancing Jewery in every single industry. It's no wonder the quality of the average product continues to drop. That's not to say there aren't still gems.

I was alive in the middle of the 90s and it was worse than it is today. But there was room for improvement back then, studios took risks and movies with medium budgets still existed. A couple of years later the made Matrix, for instance. That will.never happen again and you're delusional to think otherwise

I agree but the last couple of years have been exceptionally bad for cinema.
Just look at summer release dates, it's all sequels, prequels and capeshit.

Well over 90% of films have been shit after the late 2000s. Well over 90% of films were shit before the late 2000s as well. The film industry has always been a huge swamp of shit where you'd have to wade through the swamp to find the occasional nugget of gold, and the only difference between then and now is that now you're experiencing them coming out in real-time and having to wade through the swamp yourself instead of only seeing the gold other people had already found for you.

Compare Alien to Alien Covenant and you can see just how far the film industry has fallen.

Pirates of the Caribbean 9 is out next week though, it could be the saviour of cinema that we need.

revenant was kind of like that

what were the good movies from 2014?

uhh, someone has to put up the money for the film to get made. you can cherry pick examples where a successful indie film made a profit, the point is, back before mass pirating, there was a profit motive for filmmaking because you had theatrical run, rental run, then purchase run. so more films were being made. and there was a mid level, where you could take a risk on a 10 million - 50 million budget film. which is where a lot of great films from the past 30 years existed. now there is no mid level, its either super high budget, or low budget, 5 million or lower.

the fuck

its 2017. you don't need to wade through anything. just go look it up on social media and see if it sounds alright.

Three Billboards looks great you pleb

Compare the Handmaiden to Pink Flamingos and you can see just how far the film industry has come, hurrrrr

This. A lot of people think the gems of today are "shit" simply because they were over-hyped for them when they saw them, or because they hate the movie's fanbase

low budget today is as good as mid budget used to be. The barrier to entry has been utterly destroyed

>Comparing two films in the same series made by the same director is the same as comparing two completely different films made by different people

nice try user you fuckwit

>Trusting reviews
>Trusting social media plebs

Sure user, let's all watch Civil War and jerk each other off, that'll show 'em.

>It is me or

It is both of us evidently. We are getting old and everything new looks like shit just like how all the old folk would gripe about when we were young.

There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
The Raid
Get Out
The Place Beyond the Pines

Off the top of my head in 30 seconds, there you have a bunch of exceptionally good films. Your problem is that you're stacking ~10 years of cinema against ~40 years of cinema.

Scarface was a meme movie and not good b an means.

>muh latino culture

Only reason it got a cult following. I only liked it because I was a 13 year old wigger. It's overall a pretty bad movie but still fun to collect I guess. Titanic and 5th element are actuall good movies.

When judging the state of the film industry as a whole it is exactly the same, because the state of the film industry as a whole has nothing to do with Ridley Scott growing old, growing arrogant, and completely losing his touch. Your original point was retarded to begin with you fucking double nigger.

Even the worst movies weren't impossible to watch. Writers actually had to make decent stories, nowadays however just add more cgi explosions.

Do you know how many 14 year olds fucking love that shit and think you are and old fuddy duddy for saying that?

>boo hoo i can't remember, they are not memerable

You're old.

>boo hoo movies are getting worse and worse all the time

You're old.

>boo hoo nothing is ever good like these movies i watched when i was 14yo

You're old.

90s nostalgia is the worst. The 90s was absolute trash culturally.

>tfw the current Doctor Who season is completely unwatchable to me because of the abhorrent degeneracy that's been injected into it as part of policy now

Agreed. I lived through it and everything was laughably terrible. Like literally the only thing you could do was shake your head and laugh because everything was just fucking dumb.

Agree, it was shit in all fields. The 2010s remind me of that time

If it was just us not appreciating modern shit they wouldnt be remaking/rebooting/prequeling everything from a superior era.

I think the most modern film I liked was Bone Tomahawk and it certainly has its faults.

I was born in 94, but I still remember the cultural output along with early 2000s. It was TRASH. The only people I agree with are the gamers, gaming was prime in the early 2000s. But film was utter shit. The main films I remember from the early 2000s were Tokyo Drift and the Matrix. That tells you how bad things were.

Yeah, gaming was actually really good for about 15 years back then.

Yeah, almost everything is trash, but don't be blinded, there are some gems as I pointed out here:

Edge of Tomorrow, Planet of the apes, godzilla

>The Place beyond the Pines
It's shit.

>unable to think of an original idea to save their lives and have to plunder established IP after established IP to make a buck
>hurr you're just old an out of touch!

Stop remaking old movies then faggot if they're just a bunch of "fuddy duddy" shit and not actually superior.

I think the Internet has fucked up everyones attention spans and lowered the quality movies

Of course the Jews will try to charge too much, making sure that nobody will buy into their shit.

Fuck em'.

Let the bastards go the way of the horse buggy manufacturers.

>t. fuddy duddy

Pop culture as a whole has been dying for years. Its not about being creative or different. Its about how much money can we squeeze out of the consumer. Hence why the majority of tv and movies are lowest common denominator garbage. And why music as a whole is the worst its ever been.

>Get Out

Get out.

Smart phones with internet access in particular. You can't hold a proper conversation with someone now without them stopping every few moments to check their phone, text, or show you something funny they found.