Objectively the best side characters of the Jurassic Park franchise

Objectively the best side characters of the Jurassic Park franchise

Only agree with the top 2

The bottom right guy was the only good thing about Jurassic World

I agree with everything but the raptor

These are true.

so what the hell happened to the talking raptor sidekick in 3? why was he only in one scene?

So dumb of them to kill him off. His death seemed unwarranted too. Just like the assistant girl who gets brutally killed by the mosisaur/dactyl

I wish Rolland was in the entirety of TLW. He's easily the best character in that film. Shame they cut out his introduction scene in Kenya with him and Ajay too. Would have added so much more.

Those two deaths pissed me off and added nothing to the movie

>So dumb of them to kill him off. His death seemed unwarranted too. Just like the assistant girl who gets brutally killed by the mosisaur/dactyl

I found these deaths to be very strange and, like you said, unwarranted (same with some of the raptor deaths). I'm guessing they were trying to be be edgy or something? It would have been far more interesting if they had killed off one of the kids or Pratt's character or something.

They should've done like the previous films and kill off characters the audience hates in funny ways, like the toilet guy

Bottom right was shit and his death was even more shitty. At least "ALAN" gave us a meme.

Also, I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask what the fuck people didn't like about the second movie? I thought it was great. Great fucking death scenes (especially the "Stay out of the high grass!"), the most intense scene in the whole franchise (the RV hanging off the cliff), and the least annoying kid in the franchise (not saying much though). Like I get it has flaws, but how can people excuse all of Jurassic World's shit and then completely dismiss Lost World? It's beyond me.

I think it's just because the first film was so well made and effective. It's pretty much one of the peaks that blockbuster popcorn films can aspire to reach. By comparison The Lost World was a little mediocre, flat and wasn't as well "optimized" as the first film was. Lots of untapped potential, a handful of sequences/ideas that didnt work out and a few dumb concepts/premises.

Also whilst the idea of the setting is cool (An untamed wild island of Dinosaurs) the way they worked it into the plot actively undermines the first film and is dumb in the first place. Isla Sorna was a dumb idea.

What made previous good is that they didn't discriminate because characters that the audience liked or hated, if they died they would die gory. The people in JW who died either died in a PG way or died in a way so ridiculous it seemed more comical than gory (assistant girl).

>Lots of untapped potential, a handful of sequences/ideas that didnt work out and a few dumb concepts/premises.

I'm not trying to argue, just understand. I realize nostalgia might be obscuring my perception of the film, can you give me some examples of these things?

>cropping out muldoons legs

how dare you

>Jurassic World didn't have designated shitting streets

TLW is shit because everything that went wrong, began with the actions of the so called protagonists.

Vince Vaughn/Nick van Owen destroyed the locks on the caged dinosaurs and thus caused the stampede that destroyed all of the InGen equipment. He then took the baby rex to their RV for surgery which drew the adult Rexes and they destroyed the RV and its com equipment. His action led directly to the death of Richard Schiff/Eddie Carr.

This effectively stranded all the people, forcing them to go the main facilities of the island which were surrounded by fields of raptors.

Julianne Moore/Dr. Sarah Harding didnt throw away her bloodstained jacket and washed herself in some creek. Adult rexes smelled the blood and followed the group of survivors and their nighttime appearance, caused panic and drove the InGen people into the long grass.

Painfull part is that she explained that the rexes can smell very good and yet did nothing about the bloodstained jacket that had the scent of the baby rex on it.

TLW Was alright, story sucks with them trying to pull some environmental bs, but then the main characters were the main causes of everything that went wrong.

But purely for dinosaurs, the sequel is is good

This is good but my other big gripe was making the dinosaurs feel like monsters. They didn't seem like genuine animals in a weird time like the first movie. The Rexes appeared almost malicious (Eddy's death) and the Raptors were clearly insane. The compys randomly attack a full adult was a bit bizarre too.

Everything Rexy did in the first film seemed "realistic". Hunting, territory, curiosity then the sequels turned the dinos into mindless ravenous monsters. JP3 was way worse about it

That make sense, although I never once considered a bunch of hippies protagonists (just Goldblum) so maybe that helped my viewing experience. It makes sense to green peace cunts could ruin things more than the people they bother.

I really liked Ebert's suggestion that the film should've been about a nature documentary crew that gets trapped.

>Untapped Potential
Malcom's character is effectively neutered from the original. The company that wanted the DNA in the first film could have been a plot line (and is one in the book IIRC). The park on the mainland appears for a total of five seconds.

>Sequences that didn't work out
Dinosaur on the mainland scene. Trekking across the island scenes. The boat scene (still very unclear as to the fuck happened) and the looking for Sarah scenes all come to mind.

>Dumb concepts, premises

Purpose of Isla Sorna, the Dinosaur rampage in the city (Could have been handled well with main land park idea, but wasn't. Generic monster scene basically), the presentation of most characters.

>This is good but my other big gripe was making the dinosaurs feel like monsters.

Interesting, I never noticed how different the animals felt between the first movie and the rest of the franchise. I agree, they managed to make them seem more like animals in the first movie (except the part where the raptor glares and beads his eyes like cape villain when the kids got away).

Still I always considered Jurassic Park a monster movie franchise anyway and I accepted their explanation of the T-Rex's behavior (they wanted to display total dominance on their territory or whatever). How did you think the raptor acted insane?

>The company that wanted the DNA in the first film could have been a plot line

You know, that's actually the main plot line of the telltale game, which everyone hated but I thought (barring the stupid qte's) was pretty good because the story.

Yeah. Scrap Isla Sorna, make it so Nublar is made into a preserve following the events of the first film and the Dinos just wander freely. The documentarists aren't really meant to be there so it adds an extra bit of isolation to when things get fucked up and they get trapped because if they get government help from Costa Rica it's likely they'll go to jail, get fined hugely or have their careers ruined.

Then have the poachers come in as some sneaky INGEN plot with the mainland island thing, and then add an additional plot thread about sabouteurs from the rival company in the first film. Don't bring back any of the main cast from the first film except Hammond.

The Asian geneticist, he should have been the one getting tag teamed as a kind of comeuppance.

I forgot what actually happened to him though.

>I never noticed how different the animals felt between the first movie and the rest of the franchise
It's a bit subtle but when the Rex breaks free it doesn't go into auto rampage mode it starts sniffing around and pushing things. Like a dog or bear. Then Tim and Lex get her attention. Muldoon and Elly show up and it chases them off its territory. The next morning you see it hunting prey and ignoring the Human characters. That was an excellent change of pace. Jurassic Park 3 has the rex completely ignore the giant carcass to chase 3 bony humans? For what purpose? The Spinosaurs had been eating all morning and it was still chasing them? Plus it had a rex body to feed on it yet it still chased grant?

>raptor glares and beads his eyes like cape villain
I can handwave the Raptors and Irex because they were intelligent serial killers. My father worked SPCA and told us horror stories about smart rogue animals that get bored and start killing.

I actually like the sound of that as an ending. The characters go through hell but end up in a Costa Rican shithole prison after being rescued for breaking the law.

Trekking across the island as they journeyed to their only hope for escape/being saved is one of my favorite parts.

>Just like the assistant girl who gets brutally killed by the mosisaur/dactyl
I would've been fine with her dying, but it was the most humiliating, drawn-out death in the whole movie. It's the kind of death you'd expect an irredeemable villain or a complete asshole to get, but instead it gets used on some minor character that the audience doesn't really have any reason to dislike. It was just weird.

He lived in the movies.

He gets brutally ripped apart by a raptor in the book.

She was literally a nobody character to at that. She had maybe 3 lines of dialogue and a minute and a half of screen time

Literally the ending of the first book.

Roland was the greatest.

Friend bought it for me but I haven't read it yet

>not BDH
>not BDH with an straight across bangs and wearing heals
You sicken me

the only likeable people in world was evil ingen guy the hipster and indian prat was ok

Wasn't there a ridiculous flub over the part where the T-rex on the ship somehow killed the crew when it would have been impossible? It was a giant glaring plothole that completely sunk the last part of the movie.

Tomato is a fruit?

Yes, the T-Rex broke out of its cage, killed all the crew without any kind of distress signal being sent, docked the ship without assistance, then locked itself back into its cage.

The Lost World would've been much better if it actually followed the book. The two are almost nothing alike.

There were supposed to have been raptors (who escaped) on the ship too but the idea was cut after filming, which is what created the plot hole.

muldoon was way more badass in the book. he shot a bazooka at a t-rex if I remember correctly.

Raptors killed the crew
Trex killed teh raptors

thats always been my head canon from being a kid

There was absolutely nothing establishing raptors being the ship. Even if there 'meant' to be some there wasn't. The movie has us believe everything says because that's exactly how it is presented.

LAW with tranquillisers for the T-Rex. Blows apart a raptor or two with a second LAW with rockets IIRC.

Not a side character

Pete Postlethwaite never gets enough credit.

I never understood the argument of "unwarranted death" in Jurassic world. Do you think character traits equal how brutal a death of someone should be? Because if someone dies from any dinosaur wouldn't that not be a brutal death? I understand movie logic but the complaints for these Jurassic world deaths always seem stupid.