This is the storyboard of a person who applied to work on Adventure Time and was rejected

This is the storyboard of a person who applied to work on Adventure Time and was rejected.

Other urls found in this thread:

roshnikakad.blogspot.com/2012/02/ss2-discovering-beat-boards.html
jeffliujeffliu.tumblr.com/post/144479318296/some-fusion-dancing-from-super-watermelon-island
stevencrewniverse.tumblr.com/post/77718473801/the-full-storyboard-to-steven-universe-arcade
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is the storyboard of someone who works on Adventure Time.

This is the thread of someone who thinks he has a point.
You've already done all of this, before.

One of them, he was trying to impress to get a job.
The other, they're already hired and just doing quick boards because they probably only have a week to do the first pass of 200+ panels.

This is post of someone who is angry his work on Adventure Time is being criticized.

Isn't the purpose of storyboards to show basic motion and action that can be easily changed, scribbled on or otherwise altered?

So isn't the second one technically better? Or at least more appropriate?

no one cares

^^^

>This is the storyboard of a person who applied to work on Adventure Time and was rejected.+ 0 post omitted.
Storyboard artist for AT pretty much have to write the story as well right?
As long as the storyboard is readable it drawing ability is probably a secondary concern.
I'm pretty sure Sugar is on record saying they prioritize storytelling ability because its easier to teach how to draw than how to tell a story.

This is a storyboard for Samurai Jack.

uh, it's GLOB. do you even watch the show?
come to think of it, does jake do all the laundry? finn doesnt seem the type.

This is a storyboard for The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

This is a storyboard for Ed Edd n Eddy.

>my name is rebecca sugar and i hire storyboard artists that can't draw

No, they're also used to show scale and even style can seep through in shows like AT which are produced from storyboards and not scripts unlike other shows.

This is a storyboard of a Chinese cartoon

I'll just leave this here.

These look more like beat boards than story boards.

>Storyboards of "Gundam F91"

>its easier to teach how to draw than how to tell a story
False.
Animation is a visual medium, and it's more important to know how to compose a visually compelling scene, since THAT is how you tell a story in a visual medium. And it's very difficult to teach visual composition.
But if you are not concerned with visual composition in your visual medium, I guess "storytelling" might be more important. You know, disregard the language of the medium, it's fine.

Gundam is cool.

Except the OP is clearly talking about stuff like linework and form, not compostion.

The label doesn't negate my sentence. These are structured more like beat boards than storyboards. They don't show motion or action, they just seem to be a summary of each shot and overall scene.

You make it sound writing for a children's program is hard. It's as easy as going to the tv tropes plot page and picking a funny plot and then add a few twists if you want to seem brave and creative.

That's part of it.

A storyboard is supposed to convey everything from the body language of the characters, to their emotions, the tone of that particular scene, composition, movement, everything. It's literally how the scene looks, in every meaning of that word you can think of. It encompasses every single aspect of visual art, which means you HAVE to be skilled at drawing to make good storyboards.

But since AT has a very simplistic visual style where characters are simple blobs of shapes with barely any articulation, and their faces have the detail of internet emoticons, a storyboard artist for AT wouldn't need to concern himself with being able to draw a character in motion or make it emote. Coming up with "stories" is all that it takes.

That face type has nothing to do with calarts you double nigger

>A storyboard is supposed to convey everything from the body language of the characters, to their emotions, the tone of that particular scene, composition, movement, everything. It's literally how the scene looks, in every meaning of that word you can think of. It encompasses every single aspect of visual art, which means you HAVE to be skilled at drawing to make good storyboards.

No offense but your describing an ideal. If people with a focus on technical ability dedicated it towards storytelling you wouldn't see animation that look amazing and are well composed but have no fucking plot. Last time I saw this was LWA2 and it was fucking infuriating after the first one was so good.

>it's either one or the other

It's a storyboard it doesent need that much detail

This is really cool

I'd prefer that in a visual medium, the visuals are good.
It just seems like a waste that some shows could be newspaper comics with how simplistic they are visually, yet are presented through the medium of animation.

>behead those who insult godventure time!
you need help

And yet, somehow, the people making Adventure Time have created the most successful, critically beloved kids show of their generation... It's almost as if they know what they're doing.

I will never forget the terror of THE ASIAN.

Thankfully, they made a great decision by hiring Zuke, who pulls off the impossible task of making Amethyst attractive.

You mean used too mate.
Simpsons and Spongebob were also considered modern classics at one point but that don't mean they know what they're doing now.

The fucks a beat board

roshnikakad.blogspot.com/2012/02/ss2-discovering-beat-boards.html

if only you knew how to find the answer to a question, millennial

>This is the storyboard of OP who is still salty about getting passed over

>millennial

Tell me, how old are you user?

If I was the person that made that storyboard I would be the Art Director on the new Mickey Mouse shorts.

God, this is the storyboarder who keeps doing the chubby cheeks thing arent they?

that episode was the shit

Adventure Time is a fucking great show and I love it. I don't give a quarter of a shit what dumb point you're trying to make, OP.

You gave enough of a shit to comment.

What's it like with los standards?

>los standards

muy bueno

Maybe the first storyboader couldn't transcibe to the their modus operandi.

I don't know what lies behind the scenes, yet maybe the veterans have their own guidelines for a more lax environment and conditions. And not to say the first storyboader is pretentious with their art, maybe they were used to their own methods. In a new environment and all, one of the main thing is adaptability, it could've been a simple case of them not adapting.

you mean they created a passing fad

That's a panel of a storyboard

I wonder why they ended up going for a more frontal view in that second panel or was the screencap just taken at the wrong momeent

Not that bad compared to similar comparisons.

6 years and counting.

>most successful, critically beloved kids show of their generation
I don't mean to start something, but I'm fairly certain MLP is above it.

I think you missed the part where I said "critically beloved".

Anyone who isn't a Sup Forums-tier "anti-fad" autist either likes it or is apathetic to it's existence.

Did you make this, OP?
While I don't see anything wrong with it (other than using god instead of glob - shows you're not that aware of what's going on in the show), I know it's not the whole testm which also features character design and stuff like that. And anyway scribbling over your boards with a soft brush doesn't make it any better than .

This guy? jholtanimationart.blogspot.com
I don't see OP's image anywhere here. Can't find anything with image search either.

>talking kids

Stephen DeStefano. He's actually a character designer.

>Simpsons has 25 years, so fuck off

jeffliujeffliu.tumblr.com/post/144479318296/some-fusion-dancing-from-super-watermelon-island

These are storyboards from SU

>Gumball is british and created by a french guy
>SU is by SVA alumni (plus the calartists on the show are the crew members that fans like, like Joe Johnston and Jeff Liu)
>Undertale is a video game

They're pretty good

KC Green's stuff looked good

I bet you'll use any of Miyazaki's image boards as another general example of "Japanese storyboarding" right? That said, it still looks nice.

So that was the more general term for those types of boards. Thanks user

user you should know by now that everything involving 'le calarts faec' is bait.

neo-rama.tumblr.com/tagged/storyboards

Here are recent storyboards from the guy who's become the fandom whipping boy since hellen left

Also here's the first episode he storyboarded (not counting the stuff that's been redone by storyboard revisionists, his boards are 117-232, 413-453, and 615-the end)

stevencrewniverse.tumblr.com/post/77718473801/the-full-storyboard-to-steven-universe-arcade

It's dumb bait, OP is basically guaranteed 30 replies.

somebody is mad because they spent too much going to a shit art school instead of getting a real job

That was from season 1 and that artist has likely not worked on the show in half a decade.

technically Elizabeth Ito returned to the show during season 5 but as a Supervising Director, not as a storyboard artist
so your point still stands

Ito did Ricardio the Heart Guy? Huh.

Ed, Edd, n Eddy was a high quality cartoon that we won't get again for a long time, and I honestly think this storyboard shows why.

>reminds me to the first seasons

oh fuck I get it mixed up with Slumber Party Panic out of context

Yeah Sean Jimenez hasn't worked on the show since season 1 while bert youn (outside of season 6's fiona and cake episode) hasn't been on the show since season 4

This is a storyboard for Steven Universe done by someone who used to work on ed, edd, n eddy

and so are these

2d puss looks awesome.

to be fair of this criticism, i dont really mind it when the cheek part goes into the eyes. its only distracting/annoying when the eyes are set inside the character's head (gumball, smellven, le tumblr skellie, sort of clarence). it just makes it look like they have some hideous tumor growing out of their face. on characters like dipper, star, or some of the loud sisters, it just looks like a natural progression of the face and makes them look bulbous and cartoony, and thus isnt as hideous and lazy.

see also that character from SU, which might be one of the shittiest character designs ive ever laid eyes upon. its like someone took that funny edit of the goldeneye 64 coverart and made a character of it.

Can't tell how the story flows from 2 panels, so it's not great for judgement.

It's just changing the angle the camera's looking at Finn from dude.

Is there a particular reason you chose these two boards and not any of the other ones by this person? The second boards are a lot clearer and funnier as a byproduct. I don't watch AT, though.

Nah they're all shit. You just like those cause you like those shows.

Why does this storyboard need shading at all? Its a mess. Harder to understand than the second one. A lot of unnecessary detail. And shittier, less confident lines. Plus it looks that it takes double the time to create.

Its like the author got everything backwards.

I think the shading is to convey a contrasting color pallet in these couple shots compared to the rest of whatever episode it was meant to be
So as to jar or surprise the viewer and contribute to the overall atmosphere of the episode

Just a guess

This is a storyboard for Gumball season 1

This is a storyboard for Gumball season 2

That someone who works on Adventure Time is an ant?

2D > 3D

The second one seems to be faster to do and gets to the point as good as the first one. I guess they improved.

This is a Steven Universe storyboard.

>being lazy is an improve

>being efficient is a bad thing

It's cheaper, faster and since they don't have to rely on gooks for the animation the quality doesn't suffer.

kickass

Have you ever watched old Disney or Pixar storyboards? They have to change them up so often that they HAVE to draw quickly. Some of them were drawn on sticky notes and index cards. Efficiency really is key.

It's like thumbnails for comics. Often drawn very small, they don't have to be super detailed; they just need to be the barest possible outline for the finished product.