Who is the ultimate masculine character in film?

Who is the ultimate masculine character in film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O4b7raZGFXw
youtube.com/watch?v=5SxN_U2H0Xc
youtube.com/watch?v=S90M-N4gaM0
counter-currents.com/2012/01/fight-club-as-holy-writ/
youtube.com/watch?v=A3IoTTmfLCo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably Arnie in Commando

Brad Pitt in Fight Club

Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now

I would say pretty much any character that Arnie portrayed in the 80s, probably with Conan at the top of the heap. The Terminator is technically a machine, so I don't know if that would count.

You were so close, OP.

JJ

excuse me but kurt russel always gave me some sissy vibes. Sure he's awesome, but he doesn't come off MACHO like arnold for example.. he's kinda soft, like i can picture him singing like a bee gee, and combing his hair on a mirror before a date

>tall
>composed
>capable
>confident
>facial hair
Maccready is a very close second though.

I prefer jack burton desu.
>When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

Thirding Arnie, I don't know certain of his 80s roles but it's hard to out-man Predator's Dutch for HYPERMASCULINE CARICATURE.

Now, if you want actual well-rounded man, strong but also smart and worldly and who actually gets pussy , you go to James Bond or Indiana Jones.

Macready is of course a well-rounded guy, and I bet he did just fine for himself back topside, but to really be the ULTIMATE masculine character, yes, you do have to be seen to actually kiss/fuck the woman at some point, or to be understood to have done so /in the course of the film/. Ironically, one of the big selling points of The Thing to nerd fanboys (no girls allowed) limits the full expression of the masculinity of its characters by precluding any opportunities for them to pull, or even interact with women. This is welcome to nerdboys because it keeps things artificially boyish and sexless in the story, and does not remind them of their own failures in this department.

A discussion of the ultimate masculine character without that character getting sexual attention is an incomplete discussion. You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like-

Imo Arnold's masculinity is too much in your face. Which is ok considering he was a bodybuilder, but Kurt has just that quiete attitude of the guy who knows what has to be done without looking like a brick wall.

Now, the Jack Burton character is much more along the lines of what I was talking about just now. Lipstick on his face, he gets the attention and the girl and interacts with several women during his turn, even undercover-visiting a brothel, but he turns her down in the end cos a man's gotta ramble.

The implication being that he can pull just fine and actually has opportunities to interact with women on a regular basis, at least in this particular story. "A man's gotta ramble" is admittedly a common adventure story trope, as the character (Han Solo, Bond, Indiana Jones, Shane, pick your action movie that fits) has to be reset to the status quo for the next episodic installment.

Any role by Michael Cera

I feel like Burton has a classic masculine personality even if he not physically masculine

>not Childs

Snake Plissken in Escape from NY

Jack Burton, like so many of the characters active during the 1980s that are under discussion ITT, IS physically masculine. Squarejaw, fit guy, big delts and biceps. Not Arnie-tier of course but he's on screen as a physically fit dude, so you're simply wrong on this point.

The rest of the character is like a sort of best-grab-bag of good masculine characteristics - able bodied, intrepid, can work with others but has his own opinions and personality, etc.

There's an essay, about ten years old. I won't go full Sup Forums with this but this essay was one of the starting points at which I fell down the rabbit hole of alt right blogs.

One of the main points of the essay was that a certain positive masculinity had been exemplified in the film heroes of the 1980s particularly, and (was/is) nowadays not seen as much. What once was such a natural concept (was/is) now foreign, hated, etc. So the topic of the thread inevitably leads me to think of that piece.

Good answer

For me is Bekim Fehmiu in L'Odissea, Italian television (1968).
It was repeated in the years, always loved it. The guy is great as Odysseus.
(tangentially, the women were very hot, great cast).
Aragorn comes close second and then any Kurt Russell (especially MacReady).

‘“But after you have killed these suitors in your palace, either by treachery, or openly with the sharp bronze, then you must take up your well-shaped oar and go on a journey until you come where there are men living who know nothing of the sea, and who eat food that is not mixed with salt, who never have known ships whose cheeks are painted purple, who never have known-well-shaped oars, which act for ships as wings do. And I will tell you a very clear proof, and you cannot miss it. "

When, as you walk, some other wayfarer happens to meet you, and says you carry a winnow-fan on your bright shoulder, then you must plant your well-shaped oar in the ground, and render ceremonious sacrifice to the lord Poseidon, one ram and one bull, and a mounter of sows, a boar pig, and make your way home again and render holy hecatombs to the immortal gods who hold the wide heaven, all of them in order."

"Death will come to you from the sea, in some altogether unwarlike way, and it will end you in the ebbing time of a sleek old age. Your people about you will be prosperous. All this is true that I tell you.”’

Its fuckin JJ you fuckin kikes

Has to be this

this, but just arnold, period

Gunnery Sgt. Hartman

He exemplifies the Master, in some ways the Father.

Animal Mother

The warrior, cold and primal, but honest. A real barbarian.

Darth Vader.

good answer

There we go.

Disregard that Buchholz faggot

and also Vaughn, his character was a coward up until his last moment when he found his nerve

Bane?

based Woods

well played

>Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

>Alright now you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel.

jeezez, make way.

There were a few seconds there where I thought that was Grant Imahara

The Immortan

Crazy AF dictator, Last King of Scotland.

Has to be Marion Cobretti.
youtube.com/watch?v=O4b7raZGFXw
youtube.com/watch?v=5SxN_U2H0Xc

Snake>McReady>Burton

Arnold's a bodybuilder user - they spend far too long gazing at their pumped up spray-tanned muscles in mirrors to be considered manly.

But that's what makes him awesome, he just doesn't give a shit. He might be a little sissy at times, but he's not obsessed with looking macho. he just wants to live his life and do his thing and if that involves fucking up an invasive alien species or the duke of new york, or rescue the president's daughter, then he's just going to shoot enough hoops to do it.

Daily reminder he did nothing wrong.

Bogart as Rick Blaine, Casablanca.

Arnie as Conan is probably the top of the crop, the guys seen some shit, worked his fingers to the bone, had his own breeding grounds, found brotherhood in battle, exacted his revenge on his sworn enemies and is obviously sculpted.

That said, I raise you Jackie Chan:
youtube.com/watch?v=S90M-N4gaM0

Jackie is an honest, hard working, humble guy that doesnt swing his dick around or flex his pecs. He doesnt have to. Hes a righteous motherfucker that has gook chicks begging for his seed. Just look at those lyrics, motherfucker even sings it himself.
Thunderbolt has a similar theme.

I guess we could have a brotherhood, with Arnold being the ultimate whitey and Jackie being the ult.oriental, but then who is the black representative? Shaft?

>whines about fathers, society and muh evil capitalism
>masculine

counter-currents.com/2012/01/fight-club-as-holy-writ/

>bullies people around with no reasonable justification
>manly

this

Mifune.

I loved his character in Big Trouble in Little China so much for reasons I can't really explain. Maybe it was exactly what you are describing though. He was physically powerful, had enough spunk and personality to be interesting, and didn't compromise his own beliefs/still called out weird shit when he saw it. Nowadays that would be labelled as 'racist' or 'misogynistic'.

>Tyler is meant to exemplify manliness
>Not giving a shit about anything but their own desires
>Big focus on not giving a shit about looks, appearance, or appearing manly

Proceeds to look like Brad Pitt, be an incredibly charismatic, well spoken badboy, that fucks Helena Bonham Carter into oblivion, and starts a cult of personality, and subsequent terrorist organization.

It's mean to be an ironic interpretation of the narrator's ideals of masculinity, whereas his ideal man is exactly what society wants an ideal man to be despite all of his rhetoric saying otherwise.

The best scene to exemplify this is when Tyler is calling out the models in the advertisements while literally looking like Brad Pitt.

>shifting the goalposts
The guy is as masculine as it gets, he doesn't give a fuck. In other words he's absolutely based.

59 replies and the top alpha male hasn't been posted yet
Shame

This looks like a girl in a haloween costume of manly lumberjack lol kys.

That's not the top alpha male though
youtube.com/watch?v=A3IoTTmfLCo

Idris Elba

Unironically this.
- Leadership qualities
- Deep sense of duty
- Familial love
- Sense of revenge
- Involvement in politics
- Extensive and respected military career
- Desire for revenge
- Combat prowess
- Completely masculine physique
- Bravery
- Boldness
- Accepts and overcomes circumstances

>The Terminator
no it wouldnt. masculinity isnt just acting like a badass. its enduring any kind of hardship with your head high and to keep going no matter what. robots cant have that.

That guy from Drive, he just did what he felt and got the girl

underrated

bruce lee
goose in drive
clint eastwood
bruce willis

>first name Marion
>manly

Yeah i don't think so friend

this tbhspqr

you forgot to mention the part where he didn't fear death and actually welcomed it

I see your point, but Russell normally hides out of the Hollywood eye (alpha as fuck for a celebrity) can sport a series of varying facial hair styles well, and has maintained a 'solid muscle under a healthy level of fat' body type for 20-30 years in film. The same body type that looks like he can throw and take a punch.

objective answer

the most reliable and non-backstabbing dude on the show

>the Hollywood eye
what did he mean by this?

>singing is for sissies!

>R-real men just grumble and sit in a corner with their muscles!

You have no concept of masculinity

>That's my child! My property!
Absolutely based

That's because you are actually gay so you overcompensate with Arnold bodybuilding

I'm pretty sure russel could wreck arnold in a fight

>I'm pretty sure russel could wreck arnold in a fight
delusional manlets everyone

Bodybuilding is the most effeminate """sports""" ever created

literally the first thing that popped in my head

BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my dear....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...eggs I smell?......sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my darling....sniff....quite pungent eggs yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my dear....sniff...but oh yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dear....another if you please....nice a big now....
BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF
Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my dear....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my darling.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my dear....ah yes....let me guess...curry for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well curry......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....onion and garlic chutney I take it my dear?.....hmmmmm....yes quite.....
BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT
Oh I was not expecting that…that little gust my dear….you caught me off guard…yes…so gentle it was though…hmmmm…let me taste this little one…just one small sniff…..sniff…ah….ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff…and yet…so strong…yes…the odor….sniff sniff…hmmm….is that….sniff….hmmm….I can almost taste it my dear…..yes….just…sniff….a little whiff more if you please…..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff…ah yes I have it now….yes quite….hhhhmmmm…delectable my dear…..quite exquisite yes…..I dare say…sniff….the most pungent one yet my dear….ssssnnnnniiiifffffffffffffffffffffff….yes….

>who is mike tyson
>who is manny pacquiao

awkward tall faggots with no skill stand no chance

which bond

That's her Mandingo face.

Charlton Heston Planet of the Apes

But he raised a faggot her squealed like a girl when being killed.Utterly pathetic.

He was off killing Germans while the wife raised the squealer, try again.

>Got the princess
>Saved his land
>Saved his Kingdom
>Is a conservative father

All because someone fucked with his property

Pic*

Good one. Maximus is a very well-rounded man in almost every sense.

I'll throw in for prime Kurt Russell as well. Snake is obviously the most outright badass, and Jack Burton is probably the most charismatic/bombastic, but I think MacReady gets my vote. The way he quietly takes charge of the situation exemplifies leadership and alpha male qualities to me.