Holy shit, this was good

Holy shit, this was good

>Have you ever been so desperate that you fucked a building?
>Now, have you ever been so desperate that you fucked a girl made of bricks?

Questions that /tg/ knows the answers to for 500, Alex.

I don't read comics not storytimed on Sup Forums

Please explain why

sounds like you're missing out

not really

It's very melodramatic, it's very preachy, it's very emotionally manipulative, and it's not subtle at all.

I loved Zot, but I'm not a fan of The Sculptor.

you mean questions /d/, /h/, and /aco/ know the answer too.

The Sculptor is the worst book Scott McCloud has ever written. It's superficial, cliche, and textbook "English major writes a shitty novel" except it's by an artist so it's about an artist instead.

I was so incredibly disappointed by this shit outing I had to go rer-ead Zot! to get the flavor out of my brain.

BUT IS IT ART?

yeah but Neil Gaiman said it was the best graphic novel he has read in years

Neil Gaiman is a mediocre writer who loudly professes that making art is the single most important thing anyone could ever possibly do. So, that makes sense.

Neil Gaiman also called Anya's Ghost a masterpiece. I mean, I like Anya's Ghost but you're talking about a man who's praised for a Batman book that ended with it being Goodnight Moon. The dude ain't hard to please.

That could have several reasons.

Its the only novel he read in years.
The other novels were shit.
He was paid to promote it.
He has terrible taste in novels.

Could be pretty much anything.

I imagine he doesn't read too many graphic novels to be honest.

Good on you for liking it, but I think by and large it is accepted he really shit the bed with this.

It's pretty meh honestly but I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoyed it anyway.

>He was providing some good press for a peer
>He was providing a purely subjective opinion

I personally think the book is technically proficient but not so good in terms of story. You can tell he's applying the lessons he's thought of and written about in his past books, but then you analyze the actual story and it's just some manic pixie dream girl drivel.

Maybe it's the best graphic novel he's read in years but not the best comic.

>Scott McCloud
>good

I doubt it, but now's your chance to explain why I'm wrong

I'm honestly going to disagree with you even on that. I kept looking for good technique for all I heard about him "redrawing the book five times" and I couldn't find a lick of it.

The only real "comic storytelling" technique he employed was "you can slow time down by drawing out the moments in panels" and oh my GOD that final sequence of what, five or six pages of the same panel with incremental changes? I'm not supposed to get bored by the climax.

Also he literally stole his girlfriend's corpse and left it in the sewers where it might not be discovered for AGES. Jesus Christ, what an asshole

It was storytimed on Sup Forums.

This. Story was structurally sound and deserves praise for it. It has rules, it establishes the rules, it obeys them, then it bends them just enough to maximize the drama.

Problem is the source material was very little to work on. It's as they say about cooking, "A chef is only as good as his ingredients." This story just didn't have good ingredients and it suffered really badly for it.

Probably because the entire thing was a self-insert and an insert for his wife.

Neil Gaiman thinks that political correctness is a good thing. Look it up. He honestly doesn't see how fucking awful political correctness is. He shouldn't be held up as if his opinion is worth anything, he should be shot.

>Kill people for their opinion!
And now you fucking understand why they have so much power. You gave it to them by being a dumbass.

It's not an opinion anymore, it's become a religion that's been forced on western society. Look at how europe and canada have become overrun with muslims and the actual people that built them huddled in fear of offending them. Yet we can't talk about it because it wouldn't be politically correct. Look at the US, where blacks are literally able to get away with murder because holding them to the same standards as whites would apparently be politically incorrect. And if a police officer dares to try to stop them from committing crimes? They riot and destroy millions of dollars worth of property. Yet we can't call them out for the spoiled shits they are because of political correctness.

Political correctness is destroying entire nations. Killing its servants is self defense, nothing more.

They have power because ignorant fucks like you don't realize the threat that they pose. You go along with each thing they say, not questioning any single step. First they claim that all they want are "equal rights" that really they had all along, then you're forcing people to accept every perversion, fetish, and mental illness as if it's perfectly normal. Because trying to hold to the traditions that created your nation would make you a "bigot." Then you're welcoming in even more shitskins, then you're forcing your own people to follow their backwards beliefs for fear of hurting their precious feelings.

>They have power because ignorant fucks like you don't realize the threat that they pose.
>implying I'm not on your side

But you're always the first one to scream, "Nigger," or give them excuses to write stupid laws.

You can survive being shot. We should take turns shooting eachother with cum, you gaylord.

I definitely wouldn't call it innovative, which is why I can see why people will disagree, but I do think the book flows well. For example, his use of borderless panels to convey introspective moments, the contrast between the more cartoony look of the overall comic with photorealistic parts, and increasing the number of panels to indicate the pressure the MC feels. On a more mundane level he also makes an effort to make the body language expressive. These aren't exactly revolutionary or even that notable for people who read a lot of comics, especially given how well others have used the same techniques, but he does follow the basic rules consistently. I would compare it to clear and concise writing that's grammatically correct.

COCK RAMPAGE

> implying I'm not on your side
Because you're clearly not.

> give them excuses to write stupid laws.
They don't need an excuse as long as people like you meekly go along.

> Have no rebuttal
> Post tired meme instead, that'll show him!