Is Rey a good character?

Is Rey a good character?

design wise ? - safe
character wise ?- garbage that every other character will like and she can't do no wrong and its good at everything
Even Kylo emo ren it more interesting character because he feels more human

I really dislike her character
As far as we can tell, she grew up alone, with no parents and very little human contact.
She should be like a feral child, hardly able to talk.
Instead, she behaves like a normal person from 21st century. This shit makes no sense

Same as any other Starshit protagonist.

*blocks your path*

She's literally female Skywalker 2.0 except she ass pulls constantly. Going from wondering if the force is real to a Jedi mind trick and being able to our fly for fighters in the falcon
Im assuming that last one is force relasted because i can't see any other reason she could have pulled it off

And yes the actor sucks. She can't act. Just watch her eyes in any even slightly serious scene

Tremendous character

That's a great point. She was sold into slave labor as a child yet that doesn't have any impact on her character at all.

I mean fuck I expected that to come up eventually because Fin is an orphan who was kidnapped.

shes like 3/10 character acting wise.

like shes a trust fund baby with a great gig thanks to daddy-o

I'd probably let her mary sueness slide if she turned out to be a Kenobi/Kryze. But knowing who's writing/directing/influencing the movie, it'll be feminist wanking. Hell, even letting Clone Wars/Rebels in this would be waaay more better.

>She will never turn out to be the daughter of a deceased Santine
>she'll have mandalorian blood
>Rey using a Darksaber

How she so cute?

HIGH
E
E
L
S

fucking virgins

>Rey is tough
Stopped reading right there

...ok?

She's hideous.

She opens her eyes really, really wide during intense moments and when shits get really heavy, she opens her mouth even wider and when it's really, really, going down she bares her teeth as well.

At the end of TFA she basically accepts that her family is never coming back for her and sets out on a hero's journey. That's the only development she gets in the film. Her character isnt great, but Its obvious that her arc is going to span the new trilogy.

>skin has adapted to extreme UV radiation
>pasty white girl
Kek

yeah, sure

meaning she doesn't actually have an ass you retard

fuck you are dumb

It's Star Wars, there are no good characters.

>comparing a peasant who had a family with an orphan who had to manage by herself
>pretending that Lukes "training" wasn't ridiculously short

>not casting her as a xenomorph in aliens covenant
Ridley Scott missed the opportunity to save the movie.
For fucks sake her name is even Ridley, she was born to play the xenomorph.

You seem quite upset.
Must be that virgin rage, lol

Let's forget for the moment that she literally has no reason at all to train with Luke Skywalker because she's more force able than he, Yoda and Obi Wan was in six movies. And let's forget for the moment that finding Luke was supposed to be vital to the survival of the Resistance and so vital finding Luke was Poe said all of them were literally expendable; and on this vital mission they send an unknown, untested sand dweller they just met. But let's forget just how much of a mary sue she is and of how impossibly damaged her position as a protagonist is, Where can they carry her character. She's loved by everyone, can do anything, and easily defeated a protagonist who by all accounts, should have bested her. So where can she believably go? The only place she can go is to fight non ethereal creatures or Creatures that are giants.

Ok, she's cute sometimes.

>no u are a virgin
no I just like shitting on retarded faggots
especially autistic ones with waifus

shes fucking ugly and has no ass
you don't even know how high heels work and why women wear them
its obvious you are a fat ugly virgin whos never taken a girl out

What's the matter user?
You are sperging out big league

a character needs to REPRESENT something, but let's assume Star Wars' purpose is fun, that's noble enough.

Does Rey represent 'fun', is she a fun character at all? She's sympathetic, i guess with her horrid backstory, she then gets involved in crap she doesn't want to be (refusing the call - hero journey stuff - but that's plot it doesn't reflect on her character) she meets a robot and a guy she quickly trusts without much resistance (keeping up a mercenary or stand offish attitude but quickly becoming energetically involved - basically she's contradictory which i guess can be fun) she has no stated or obvious motivations, she can basically do whatever she wants, she's more like a deus ex machina than a protagonist. Is that fun?

She's a cute girl. I guess that's fun. Maybe that's her only real purpose, be a cute girl that kicks butt like in an anime.

Ultra virgin detected.

>waifu faggot thinks he has the high moral ground
keep jerking off to daisy tho

Daisy is the best waifu, fag.

>So where can she believably go?
Guess we'll have to watch the new movies to find out user :^)

Still mad, LOL!

the actress is shit and wont close her fucking mouth
the character is a mary sue and a unlikeable one at that
the design is ok imo but for fucks sake shes a girl so let her change her outfit once in a while

Daisy Ridley is charismatic as FUCK

>implying having a waifu means you are mentally capable to determine the finer things in life
>he thinks im mad
I know your autism prevents you from being able to identify emotions but it does not excuse you for missing school today
stupid autismos need their busy work or else they spend too much time here getting their head filled with shit like wiafus and star wars

Calling her a mary sue might be wrong, because as you've said she's literally a Deus Ex Machina. There's no other way to describe her. I have never seen or read about a protagonist as fucked up as she is. Rey feels as if she was written by a a ten year old. She's just too perfect. It's not only annoying but its probably the final nail in the movie's coffin. She wasn't at all the dumbest thing about the movie, but she's right up there just behind Finn seeing the death star destroy a solar system from light years away. That was incredibly dumb and literally made no sense. I know it's all fantasy but even fantasy has to have some kind of logic. That'd be like Luke flying from a planet into space and then into light speed and then landing back on a planet or simply teleporting using the force. I sure as fuck hope they don't have Rey and Luke teleporting. Fuck please. Fuck please, I hope not.

TFA broke my heart. Fucking Covenant broke my heart. I hate movies.

She's a girl and from all accounts she didn't shower for a very long time and then she's with Han and co and then she's climbing a mountain and then she's running and jumping and skipping and then she fights Kylo and then she's back at the Resistance being congratulated by everyone even though Poe destroyed the death star. Point is, did she bathe in all that time? She probably reeks.

>This autist again

In the wild she would wear those teeth down gnawing barks and opening nuts, but in Hollywood there's a chance they might eventually protrude through the roof of her mouth and kill her.

Is a Mary Sue a good character?

Are you by any chance a paid Disney shill? Because in every instance you start with, "There's that autist again." As if this place is littered with autism sufferers. Just so you know, No one likes your movie Disney. It won't make nearly as much money as it did last time. You got away before because it was the most anticipated sequel in film history. That's not going to work twice. You'll make transformers numbers, if you're lucky. But not much else.

No.
Is OP's post good bait?

I'm convinced Daisy-fags are just doing 4D chess trolling.

Too good.

>Luke gets trained by one of the greatest Jedi Masters (Obi-Wan) for at least a couple days
>Can't even block a fucking laser by some shit droid more than once
>Gets months of training by the greatest Jedi Master (Yoda)
>Gets his ass kicked and his hand cut off by someone whose holding back
>Becomes a full Jedi Knight by being guided by Obi-Wan's ghost
>Still needs his dad to bail him out of Palpatines lightning
>Rey, with ZERO training, is able to use Force persuasion (a power Luke is only shown being able to do after months of training), and beats a Sith acolyte whose a motherfucking Skywalker who was TRAINED by LUKE SKYWALKER with ease
>Even trying to remotely compare the two
Fuck off Disney shill. Rey is a MaRey Sue, accept it and move on with your life.

Rey is a Mary Sue because she is instantly liked, trusted and put on a pedestal by everyone she meets.

Han Solo wants her on his crew and trust her enough to work on the Falcon. Chewbacca watches over her and rips off Unkar's arm to protect her, who also wants her for inexplicable reasons. Maz is willing to give her a lightsaber, and not just any lightsaber, but the Legacy lightsaber of the series. Finn loves her and his sole motivation in rescuing her is that he loves her. The major villains of the movie want her. Princess Leia hugs her and not Chewbacca when Han Solo dies, and personally tells her that the Force is with her. She inherits the Millennium Falcon, Chewbacca, and R2-D2 when one of the three most beloved characters in the franchise is killed off. The primary villain of the movie, Kylo Ren, obsesses over her when she is his prisoner and is the first person in the movie to take his mask off to. Absolutely every single thing is handed to her and her competence and personality are never questioned in any way, shape or form by anyone in the movie.

This is what makes a Mary Sue. Not the fact that she has all of these amazing powers and abilities without even trying or without having been trained, but the fact that absolutely everyone she meets instantly likes and trusts her. This is the true mark of a Mary Sue, and it is due to an inability of a writer to create a compelling character. A Mary Sue will always be a stand-in for how the writer wants the fictional characters to react to them personally.

None of this can be refuted. She is a Mary Sue, and it isn't because she has powers and is a woman. It's because she is horribly written and to defend her is to defend bad writing.

>she has no stated or obvious motivations
She wants to reunite with whoever abandoned her on Jakku.

>meets a droid for the first time
>refuses to sell it
>doesn't give it back to the guys who are looking for it
>has to make a run for it because she wouldn't give back the stupid droid that's not even hers
What do you call this writing?

gay af

>Disney shill
I don't give a fuck about this shitty franchise and only watched the movies because they were free (and VII so I can spoil it to SW fanboy friends), so yeah.

>Sith acolyte
Who had ONE decent feat in the movie. Kylo is a butthurt kid with rage issues who had a serious fight with some nignog who found a lightsaber, AND was injured, can't compare him to guys like Anakin or Palpanite who dealt with actual Jedis and got decades of experience. Luke hitting the Death Star was a bigger ass pull than anything Rey did.

Almost like she's the central character. The only fair point is the Leia hug.

>A Mary Sue will always be a stand-in for how the writer wants the fictional characters to react to them personally.
Which happens in fan-fiction not in teams with multiple writers and teams of market researchers to give the audience some self-insert shit.

>Almost like she's the central character.

So was Luke. Han Solo spends the entire movie up until just prior to the Death Star run doubting Luke and questioning his competence. Their very first encounter displays that he is a brash and arrogant individual who thinks highly of himself and doubts that Luke could pilot a ship by himself. It is only when Luke and he make up prior to the Death Star run that they truly become friends.

The very first thing Princess Leia says when she sees him is that he is short. She then spends the rest of the rescue criticizing them for how poorly planned this entire operation is. It is only after Obi-Wan dies that she feels sad for him, and she knew Obi-Wan as well.

Red Leader doubts Luke until his best friend from childhood vouches for him. The only two people to instantly trust and like Luke are his best friend and the mentoring wizard who has been watching over him his entire life, both of which are character archetypes that Rey does not have as an isolated hermit.

Darth Vader does not even know who Luke is in the first movie.

Continuing on into the next films, Yoda immediately talks down to Luke and claims that he cannot be a Jedi. He reluctantly trains Luke even though he says Luke has no patience whatsoever. Jabba the Hutt does not fear Luke and absolutely refuses the Jedi's offer of peace, laughing about it.

The difference between Luke and Rey, setting aside all manner of power level arguments, is that people react reasonably and normally to Luke. Rey however is immediately liked and trusted by everyone she meets and is never so much as talked down to once in the film.

Both Luke and Rey accomplished amazing feats. Both of them have a connection to the force. But one of them is written well, and the other one is not.

Kylo was poorly written but Rey was Terribly Written. Winner, Kylo.

>But one of them is written well
Nah. Neither is. Luke is painting by colors stereotypical mono myth protagonist with a positive character arc. Rey is ... uhh, from what I remember a bit more complex and lost with no real guidance before the end and random bits thrown at her.

Both follow different paths, are different people and meet different people. Han/Leia grew up and all. Luke was way more naive and innocent while Rey is more experienced, it's given that people react differently and find her more likeable than some peasant. Some distrust would be pretty good but we're talking about Star Wars, can't expect too much, besides, it'd slow down the movie even more.

Well, Kylo is more realistic, Rey is more likeable. I don't see how it makes him better written. Realism isn't good per se. At best he's more memorable, stopping the blaster shot was probably the best scene in the movie and at least he's easy to remember as "that raging faggot". Rey did some weird faces and smacked a black guy with a stick...

Compared to Rey, Luke sucked at all things force related. It took him a long time to even get the hilt of his saber to budge and you must remember that he would have known about the force for all of two years by this point. He would have trained with the training droid. The only time he used the force outwardly that was seen on film was when he used the force to aide him in timing when to pull the trigger of his fighter and launch the homing missiles. Contrast that to Rey. Rey's uses force interrogation, then she uses persuasion, then she uses telekinesis and so on and apparently some Force magic where you're teleported to other times because you touched an object. After just hearing about the force a few hours before. Anakin as a child used the force the same way Luke did, as a reactionary booster. It gave them a faster reaction time. The same ability Sheev used to see the future only, Sheev used an superlative version of Prescience.

My point is Kylo's only seen is that he was written poorly, but Rey by comparison was written terribly, she's a literal Deus Ex Machina. There's nothing she can't do and there's no one who doesn't want to be her friend.

So fucking cute.

Well, with that definition sure. Though for me a terrible written character is one I don't care to watch a movie about. I can see myself watching a movie focused on Rey only, one about Kylo would probably make me switch off after 20 minutes because I don't give a shit what happens to him.

if star wars was real she would have been raped to death on her desert planet long ago

Luke gets 5 minute training from Obi-Wan and a week training from Yoda and then he beats Darth fucking Vader, who's been training since he was 8 in a Jedi Academy with the greatest Jedi masters and after that gets trained personally by the greatest Sith master.

Rey beat up a heavily injured brat.

Rey is the worst character ever written. Prove me wrong.
Pro tip: You can't

>Luke gets 5 minute training from Obi-Wan and a week training from Yoda and then he beats Darth fucking Vader,

Uh, Luke lost in Empire. Are you stupid?

>Beats Darth Vader
>Literally gets his hand cut off by Darth Vader
>Needs Darth Vader to save him from the Emperor
>Imagine doing this much revisionism to defend your Mary Sue waifu
Sup Mickey

Who trained him before Return?

This is explained in the new canon of comics, novels and young reader companions for children. I wouldn't recommend them, they're a bit above your level.

>Needs Darth Vader to save him from the Emperor
How is that a sign of weakness?
He's one of the most powerful force users to ever exist.

Luke never needed his opponent to get shot in the gut with a fucking bowcaster, a weapon that was set up throughout the whole movie as being really fucking powerful.

So what happens? He gets into some time travel shenanigans to make up the decades of training that Vader has over him?

>set up throughout the whole movie
>gets used once for a quip by Ford

Wow... so this is the state... of Star Wars...

See the whole Mary Sue complaint only makes sense if that weren't what girls like in characters.

They love that shit. So Mary Sue is not really a criticism but just a descriptor

Nah, it was definitely more than once.

>Spoonfeed me! I can't goggle it! I'm literally too fucking stupid!

I already know that the answer is 'no' (unless EU is even dumber than I could imagine).
There's no way in hell Luke could receive anywhere near the same amount of training than Vader.

I want to see her get BLACKED

The way you speak about training is laughable. It's almost like you think that training is some kind of quantifiable metric. Like someone can have more units of training than someone else and someone with fewer units of training could never ever possibly defeat someone with more units of training.

You're a complete moron.

Without tits this could just be an athletic boy in drag.

I'm just mimicking the way you guys talk about Rey.

>cryface.jpg
She only has three emotions; crying, confused and shark-teeth happy.

wtf, is she acting??

Meme-Lord is unironically a better character.

I unironically have to agree

Where's the autistic write-up!?

He's not that bad of a character. I guess I should have clarified a bit more. He's given to many inconsistencies. I guess you can call them flaws but they're more like glaring inconsistencies that doesn't at all go with the character and his rank of First Order leader. He's too reckless and laughable to be taken seriously is what i'm saying. It's like the writers were unsure of who he was and where he was going so they kept writing him with two different voices.

She's either wide opened, with a slightly open drooling mouth or she's really wide eyed and her drooling pose turns to shark teeth bared ready to chomp off heads.

Anakin was worse.

Anakin was one of the more consistant characters seen on screen. Sure his dialogue in Attack of the Clones was down right awful but his feelings was always one of fear of loss, anger because of loss, hatred and suffering that is the result of his anger at having lost something dear to him. In the first movie they said that he was afraid and he missed his mother and that for a force user, fear and missing something can lead to anger, hate and suffering. As we saw. Even after the clone wars ended he was still suffering. In the second movie he was arrogant and always was steps away from smiling slyly. Third movie there's none of this. He's stoic and foreboding and had become quite adept at hiding his emotions. Obi Wan had told him repeatedly to control his feelings. By the third he near perfectly hid his feelings. His awful dialogue aside. After his mother died and after the clone wars and his premonition of Padme dying in child birth, he wasn't at all the same Anakin in the beginning of Attack of the Clones. And that shows progression.

Good? Shes more than good, shes fucking perfect.

Thats the main problems, shes a Mary sue, one of the worst written character in Star Wars, and thats saying something.

>autistic
>perfect

Meme autism.
For someone who supposedly spend her entire life alone in the desert she sure showed some remarkably developed social; skills.

The problems I have with Rey are
1. We're told she's had a rough childhood, and harsh life but she doesn't seem any worse for wear. She looks neat, healthy, well-groomed, speaks with an upper-class British accent, and is perfectly charming and normal.
2.We never really learn anything about her. All we know is she wants to meet her parents.
3. The chemistry between her and the other characters is very poor. She never really connects with Finn, even as a friend, she just seems annoyed with him. He really only seems interested in fucking her. We're never given a reason why Han and Chewie like her so much either.
4. She never fails at a single thing, even a minor thing. Therefore there's no need for the audience to worry about her well-being, and so no tension.

>1.
It's a movie. No one wants to see some dirty ugly hoe with a gutter accent.
>2.
We get a really well done little visual insight in her life at the beginning of the movie. That montage is probably my favourite part of TFA:
Granted it's very short, especially if you compare it to Luke in ANH. But sadly no one makes movies that slow moving anymore.
>3
Agreed, the chemistry of her actor with the other cast isn't that great.
But storywise the relationships are clear enough.
Han and Rey are close because Rey being orphaned is looking for a father figure. And Han for a child he can make his mistakes up to.
>4.
She fucks something up at that CGI monster scene.

1. Compare her to Furiosa. Charlize Theron is still attractive, but Furiosa looks like she's lived a tough, shitty life.
Even beyond the visual, she never acts awkward, uncivilized or uncomfortable around people, like she probably would be, since she raised herself.
2. All I got from that was what she does for a living (collects scrap), and she wants to meet her parents. That's it. And we never really learn anything more.
3. I never got that with Han, it just seems so brief. And if that's all, why wouldn't he connect as much with Finn? He's also a lost kid looking for a family
4. I don't remember that, but I won't say you're wrong. Even so, that's not enough. I never felt even slightly worried she wasn't going to succeed at every single task.

Not only she has upper class accent and language although she was on her own since a toddler but Finn on the other hand speaks jive and Americanized his accent although he was raised at First Order schools. It should be the other way around. But since this movie is made by and for white feminists, the black guy must an uneducated moron while the white girl is the opposite

Goddamn I just want to punch Daisy Ridley's asshole with my tongue. Her divine dfc and perfect ass drive me up the fucking wall.

>Disney """canon""" calls the Wookie's language "Wookie"
JUST

>Compare her to Furiosa
Apple and Oranges.
Fury Road is gritty post-apoc, while SW is clean space fantasy
>That's it
You get her loneliness, her daily struggle, how she's just a small cog of a vast world, and dreams of more.
That's really all you need for this movie.
>it just seems so brief
Again, less of a character fault but more due to the fact that the movie moves so quickly
>Why wouldn't he connect as much with Finn
Rey has a more of a connection through the Falcon that she worked on and appears more innocent.
>I never felt even slightly worried she wasn't going to succeed at every single task.
You never felt any tension in any of her scenes?
Can't say I had the same experience.

> living on a hot desert planet
> skin is white without a tan

Why did they make her so pale? Luke was tanned.

>Fury Road is gritty post-apoc, while SW is clean space fantasy
Star Wars isn't supposed to be neat and clean though, it's where the "used future" term comes from.
>That's it
>You get her loneliness, her daily struggle, how she's just a small cog of a vast world, and dreams of more.
I'll agree that's likely what it attempted to convey, but I can't say I *felt* any of it
>Again, less of a character fault but more due to the fact that the movie moves so quickly
Still a fault of the writing
>Rey has a more of a connection through the Falcon that she worked on and appears more innocent.
Pretty weak IMO. Just throw the audience a line about how she reminds him of Luke or Leia or his son or himself. Give us something
>You never felt any tension in any of her scenes?
I did not. And yes, that includes the battle at the end.

>Fury Road is gritty post-apoc, while SW is clean space fantasy

No it's not. The *Empire* was clean space fantasy, clean to the point of sterility, and that was sort of the point. The Rebels, the worlds we visit in the OT, are all dirty, grungy, earthy, scruffed-up and lived in, and all have the vibe of being vaguely post-Apocalyptic, that Apocalypse being the fall of the Republic. There are some exceptions like Bespin which is clean and prosperous, but that's just a foreshadowing of their allegiance to the Empire.

Firefly did a pretty respectable job of capturing that same vibe where worlds were all at widely varying states of technology. It's sort of creeping back in with the new movies, but it hasn't really made it back there yet.

did you read OPs pic?
her skin as adapted! duh! her skin has adapted to the extreme uv radiation! gawl!