Non native speakers, what was the hardest part of learning English?

Non native speakers, what was the hardest part of learning English?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=315K79PJ_KE
youtube.com/watch?v=7FYuYkPgDkk
youtube.com/watch?v=m1TnzCiUSI0
youtube.com/watch?v=2pE2ms1P56I
youtube.com/watch?v=6jMulmty5Uk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Getting rid of the accent.

whomst'd've'ly'yaint'nt'ed'ies's'y'es

Understanding people from Scotland/rural England

learning vocabulary like any other language
there's nothing particularly hard in english

Understanding each of the shitloads of accents

understanding what the fuck matthew mcconaughey is saying

I'm gonna say some parts of syntax can be pretty tricky.

Both people in this video are speaking English. Can you understand them?

youtube.com/watch?v=315K79PJ_KE

You don't really have to get rid of it, people here like to hear them

>implying

>was
>implying learning is a static process and not a continuous activity
Anyway it's probably remembering complicated spelling exceptions.

It's true, people might poke fun, but remember that English is the lingua franca, we're very used to all kinds of nations butchering the language. I wouldn't class the accent as being proficient

english is basically the easiest language ever, unless you fuck up on pronounciation and shit
But as a german, you get used to weird/no rules in language

I guess the pronunciation of shit like man-men, caught-coat, etc

Even if that's the case, I think most people learning a language strive to become as close as possible to a native speaker's level. I'd personally never be satisfied with my ability to speak a foreign language if I still have a thick accent, no matter how good other aspects are, but maybe that's just me.

Fuck that. I'm learning Japanese and I don't even bother with accent. I'll speak their gobbldygook shit like an Australian and they can deal with it.

No, it's not just you
I actually really like having good pronunciation, it adds a lot to the perceived proficiency

I honestly envy people with your attitude. I'm always too worried about sounding stupid or making silly mistakes, and it tends to hold me back a lot.

recognizing the pronounciation of "Water" that doesn't pronounce the T, and pronounces "er" as "ah", as the word "water".

that kind of things

Feels bad man. Unfortunately if you're put in a situation where you HAVE to speak. You will, even if it sounds super shit.

>tfw you sound like background character from Hogwarts and no one will think you have a cute accent

This is what I think must be the most annoying. Sometimes I listen to what people say to each other here and I think to myself "were those even words"

No one cares if you have an accent. Of course Germans sound funny when speaking English but apart from that it's all good.

Most likely making scentences not sound awkward. I noticed that when people aren't used to creating english scentences as they think, what comes out usually sounds weird or odd. Maybe they missed/misused an article, maybe they swapped some words accidentally, or they didn't use a phrase right. This is what I think I struggled most with when I lived abroad and went to an english school and it's what I see my friends now having most trouble with. Desu if I lose focus my shit comes out retarded too sometimes.

understanding regional accents and slang, like shitstralian

that sure was painful to read fuck my mouth hurts

I learned it over the course of several years through playing games and watching English television. English is barely different from Dutch so it's easy.

Nothing lol, your language is brain dead

Because of the saturation if our media, is our slang easier to follow?

pronunciation (prr-nun-she-asian)
other than that i have no complaints, but many of my countrymates have difficulty with sentence structure and other easy shit

I think it's a matter of quantity. I routinely hear English phrases that I've never heard before and I've lived here my whole life, but I don't often hear new American phrases despite routinely consuming your media

Yeah sometimes in the Netherlands I found it hard to tell if people were speaking English or Dutch without properly paying attention.

Don't remember really, i learned mostly from watching the simpsons and looking at the translator texts.

Still have an accent though.

pronunciation

The one guy seems really fucked up, I can understand the homeowner.
Junkie sounds similar no matter what accent they are speaking in, hey have that soft mumbling and stuttering

realizing it's far superior to your own language

Literally have no problems pronouncing all these to be honest famagusta

Nothing really, english is super easy, this coming from someone that speaks portuguese, arguably one of the most complex languages out there

Oh feel free to tell us why

Learning when to use "on" and "in". In fact, I still don't know how to use those correctly and I just put whatever sounds right, but it's mostly because I haven't really bothered too much with it

This so much.

If only all finns speaking english could hear this, life would be so much simpler. People in here put ridiculous amount of importance on accent yet they can't get rid of their accent. They should just speak it in a manner they are comfortable with instead of trying to sound like little americans expect they still don't.

Finnish speaken by foreigners usually sounds pretty bad though.

verbs

this

norwegian accents aren't bad (aside from the one with the french R, but that's not that bad either)

just what i would expect from a swede

what's the difference between"farther and further"? and then,same pronunciation?

the crazy part is that junkies think they sound normal

Thats not true

The Japs seem to be pretty good at pronunciation.

youtube.com/watch?v=7FYuYkPgDkk

>farther
physical distance
>further
anything else

hello muhommed

the "ur" in "further" sounds like the "ir" in "bird"

the "ar" in "farther" is like the "ar" in "far" (for standard american)

Most words i had problem with are the ones that aren't even used that often in modern speech

Learning that you used concentration camp before nazis.

Phrasal verbs are a bitch to memorise.

Set up, set off are easy, but then come more uncommon ones like set about and the like.

This brings us to the difference between cutting your finger of cutting off your finger (we make no such distinction in Portuguese).

Then you learn "stand up" and "sit down" before you learn that there are more phrasal verbs, but you don't understand why you'd need to specify because "stand down" and "sit up" would make no sense if you translate to Portuguese word-by-word, so it seems redundant for no apparent reason.

Matching spelling and pronunciation is also a bit weird at first before you get contact with the language in full conversations, although I guess Portuguese isn't completely unambiguous either.

Its probably the most phonetically complex ROMANCE language, but there are worse languages to learn, in the grand scheme of things.

>"stand down" and "sit up" would make no sense if you translate to Portuguese word-by-word
I mean, until you actually learn what these mean. But in a Portuguese mindset there's nothing about sitting in a sit-up, you're just "un-lying" or something, if that makes sense. Sitting is always a downward thing for us.

Differentiate between pairs like sheep/ship, man/men, etc. English has a lot more vowels than Spanish.

How is it more complex? You do know that the Romance languages are the most simplest, right?

Sheet/shit is always a riot. Especially when Sheet would use a Portuguese "i" and shit would use a Portuguese "ê".

The whole concept of short and long vowels is also weird.

Portuguese (especially Euro) is very very hard to mimic phonetically. Even people that live here for 20 years have trouble. Grammar is just the same as Spanish, except with more contractions, accents and vowels.

Remembering all those exceptions and exceptions of exceptions.

I've always heard from non-native speakers that English is a ridiculously "rich" language. Like, there's more than two or three ways to say something, and each may have a slightly different meaning.

>Sheet/shit is always a riot
youtube.com/watch?v=m1TnzCiUSI0

Because I speak Spanish (no I'm not chicano) I can read Portugeuse and kinda sorta understand what it says. I do find it weird y'all pronounce "estao" like "shtow" and some letters are silent. Portugeuse is definitely more complex than Spanish.

sweden yes

Most people learning a new language think like this, and it's a rare treat when you meet someone who will just power through, comprehensibility be damned. Knew a Korean guy like this - loud and unintelligible, but very friendly and pleasant to be around.

Nothing as far as I can remember.
Think we started English classes in 3rd grade.
Also nu dubbing in movies or tv shows, just subtitles.
Shit came naturally, I could speak fluently when I was in 5th grade.

This is horrible

Our E is oftentimes almost-mure, and since you only ever stress one syllable per word, we compress everything to one vowel.

Excelente becomes shlent, confortável becomes cnfrtávl, and whatnot.

In our hears we are aware of all the 'e's we're eating, so it's easy to make Spanish -> just say the e's out loud, but the other way around it's impossible, because you can never know which ones to keep and which to eat without sounding weird.

Portuguese is basically a slavic language, accent-wise.

Norwegian and Swedish accents are actually nice though

This

Pronouncing error or terror

What about this? Are all women in japan like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=2pE2ms1P56I

Pronounciation, because I learned most of my vocabulary from playing diablo 2. Foolishly I assumed that words were pronounced the way they were spelled so I had to relearn a bunch of stuff later in life.

Very few people think that though, hell I guide tourists for a living. I deal with Americans and British people every day, I can't count high enough to put a number on all the times some asshole laughed at my accent.
Luckily enough I can switch it off, bad news is I replace it with a southern American accent for some reason. I can't explain that. Too many western movies I guess.

showing up for school

>school
>not learning English from playing pokemon or watching cartoon network

Fuck those cunts, they came to Sweden give them the authetnci swenglish

I hope you realise that just because people laugh at something doesn't mean they think it's bad. I can saythat especially with brits, if it was something to poke fun at they definitely wouldn't call attention to it

>most simplest

She is not woman,just fuckin kid. why are you guys bullying japs? just kidding?
I thought Aussie doesn't hate Japan but It may be wrong. I don't care about it though do you love Japan?

the minnesota accent is pretty close to a swedish one and i laugh every time i hear it.

>Of course Germans sound funny
youtube.com/watch?v=6jMulmty5Uk

>Non native speakers, what was the hardest part of learning English?

Using adverbs correctly, For some reasons I have struggled with them for a long time

>minnesota
Isn't that where tons of Swedes migrated long ago?

Old Germans speaking English always sound like mad scientists.

I can pronounce all except Terpsichore.
At least, I think I'm not pronouncing it correctly. I'm not sure exactly, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

I'm going to Canada to study abroad.

SORRY

swedish is much funnier

>playing pokemon

When I was a child, I played Pokemon Red a lot. You always encountered "Teenagers" and I thought wtf because "Teenager" (Tee - Tea, Nager - rodent) means someone who gnaws on tea

The part of listening, was so difficult reach to understand the pronunciation of the natives.

Which one?

It was on a Gameboy Color

Playing pokemon on a foreign language while 5 years old is an experience so many people will never have.

>you don't know where to go
>you don't know what to do
>you don't know which attacks actually damage until it's too late
>you don't know type advantages
>you don't know if pokemon survive poison
>you don't know you have to use cut on the fucking trees

Since I was a poorfag, I started only with silver, and I had a crocanaw by the time I escaped the first 2 towns because I didn't know I had to go back to the lab after meeting prof. oak

same generation

>t. call center Pajeet

that's what I did dumbass, but I still had to show up for english class even though I just spent it doodling on my notebook

It 's hard to know English grammer. I do not know why the and a and an add after the noun. I think it will be okay if a or an will be gone.