I've been excited about rebirth overall. However...

I've been excited about rebirth overall. However, the shit they got going with post crisis superman and new 52 superman is so convoluted and stupid it's really putting me off from wanting to try any of the rebirth superman titles. How could they fuck this up so bad?

What's going to happen with New52 Superman?
inb4 he becomes a villain

He's dead Jim

What's convoluted about it? It's pretty straight forward.

He's dead but Mr. Oz hinted at the Supermen not being who they think they are

It's not fucked up at all, you are just being a faggot for no reason.

What?!
When and how did he die?

There's a story time in the catalog.

I don't think it's convoluted but having a past-his-prime Jurgens and doesn't-get-Superman Tomasi on the main books is enough to kill any interest I might have had. I also have a small mental list of people that new 52 Superman could be that I would accept (and pretty much only Kal-L makes some sense), anything else would be a slap in the face. I really don't trust that they'll bother to be respectful to anyone here. They already fucked up by having pre-Flashpoint Superman sit out during world evening events like a dickless coward.

>New 52 characters are the same people but with 10 years stolen
>somehow post crisis superman and new 52 superman are different
>killing off the superman we've been with since new 52 began and replacing him with a much older superman

How is this not shit?

He fought the energy-being fake Superman and used his solar flare to counter
The energy spent sped up his Kryptonite cancer and he turned into dust
So Pre Nu52 Supes is the only Clark Kent around now.

Kryptonite that got his powers back in Superman and Omega Effect from Darkseid is killing him. A criminal got his powers and thinks he's Superman. The dude's unstable and is ready to do a solar flare because everyone says that he's not Superman. New 52 Superman flies him up into space so his solar flare won't kill anyone. Pre-52 Superman tries to help New52 Superman but he punches him back to the Earth saying that they're going to need him.

They are not the same character. We don't know who or what new52 superman is.

That's why Kal-L fits. I believe his corpse was in E-0's universe when Flashpoint happened. If the main Superman was not available then using another Superman to take his place makes sense.

What are you talking about? He has the same fucking backstory!

That doesn't make it better. The idea that the character I've been reading for five fucking years is being retconned into having been someone else all along is pretty bullshit.

>Superman isn't the old Superman who was replaced by the new Superman, he's another Superman altogether! The old Superman who was replaced and then came back as the alternate old Superman was the real Superman all along!

Who gives a fuck

>The idea that the character I've been reading for five fucking years is being retconned into having been someone else all along is pretty bullshit.

Ever heard of something called the Clone Saga?

You say that like it was any less of a stupid idea then.

I don't think it's a retcon. It's probably parallel universe or something of the measure.

What if he was pre-flashpoint Superboy?

Then I would literally never read another Superman comic again until we got another reboot.

Acceptability scale: Kal-L (only thing that explains the second Lois) >>>>>>>> Mon-El = Chris Kent (phantom zone, I ain't got to explain shit) > redeemed Superboy Prime (this would be second best but someone would want to turn him into a villain again to ruin it eventually) >>>>> literally anything else >>>>>>>> shit >>>>>>>> pre-Flashpoint Conner (absolutely abhorrent)

What about new 52 Lois lane?

>Wahhhh, this shit is too complicated!

As opposed to Death of Superman being canon and non-canon at the same time? As opposed to having a fucking crossover every three months? As opposed to the immense clusterfuck that was New 52 Superboy?

You don't want to read Rebirth? Don't. My guess is that anything you need to know will be right there in the first issues on Action and Superman. If that still isn't good enough for you, you can fuck right off because this isn't any more complicated that Big Two comics have always been.

It's not convoluted. Nothing in comics is, unless you're a filthy casual. Whether they fuck this up or not, is yet to be seen.

As an oldfag who has read these books on and off for the last 30 years or so. This is pretty complicated. I have no idea what the fuck is going on right now. I can't imagine how confused say my lil nephew would be who happened to pick this up because he likes superheroes.

Offcourse you won't have any idea about it if you just read it from a chinese imageboard.

>Casuals don't remember when DC writers had to explain how Superboy was part of the Legion in post-crisis Superman

Every once in a while, continuity needs tidying up. It's a reality of superhero comics. It's not new, and it very likely will never go away. Not every comic needs to be All Star Superman or Superman For All Seasons.

To be fair, the Time Trapper dicking around is a much cleaner explanation than "go read this shitty event Convergence that doesn't make sense anyway and hope you understand it"

Dude, what? It's almost exactly the same set of circumstances. Instead of the Time Trapper, it's Dr Manhattan, and instead of Superboy, it's New 52 Superman. They both fabricated versions of the character to explain inconsistencies within the continuity.

Hey Sup Forums remember the days when rebooting something meant COMPLETELY starting over? Fresh and new? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

This has never been the case for DC

>Not every comic needs to be All Star Superman or Superman For All Seasons.

The irony is that ASS had a bunch of references to Morrison's JLA run, specifically DC One Million. And For All Seasons was a side story that coincided with Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries.

Superhero stories very rarely exist in a vacuum. That sense of building continuity makes superhero comics more fun to read, not less.

Lois from Earth-2 was also there and dead. Christ that retcon almost works.

>Acceptability scale: Kal-L (only thing that explains the second Lois)

Honestly I would accept this since both were buried on Earth-0 after IC and came back as zombies in Blackest Night before being defeated again.

On top of that, it explains why his history is similar to Kal-L in that he was a rabble rouser fighting corruption in his early days.

Can you name a case where that actually happened with DC?

YOU SUCK MCBAIN

Who the fuck is Mr. Oz?

>past-his-prime Jurgens
leave