Alien Covenant Novel

Apparently the Novel of Alien Covenant clears 99% of the cringe plot holes that plaged the movie:

No helmets in an alien world
>We find out why they run around the planet without helmets; Walter leaves the ship first to test the air and water, revealing that it's free from pathogens and pollutants "right down past the molecular level." Ledward actually remembers this when he sees the spores for the first time, reasoning that they cannot be dangerous because Walt gave them the all clear. Also the spores shoot the eggs into his ear through some kind of proboscis, they do not just zip into his ear as in the film.

>David later tells the crew that because the virus is inert until it senses life, it is impossible to detect even with the most advanced scanning equipment.

Xeno eggs weren't created by David
>David shows Oram a petrified facehugger's egg, which he reveals he euthanised because it was too aggressive. Oram looks inside this egg, at David's urging, and is comforted to find that the hugger inside is, as promised, quite dead. Tantalisingly, he mentions that this was left behind by the Engineers, saying it is a "supreme example of their skill." His attempts to create the alien, seemingly, are trying to emulate this one left by the Engineers. He also confirms that the aliens take on characteristics of their host species, a la the Dog Alien from Alien 3, which is a nice little detail.

The stupid facehugger "trust me bro" scene
>David shows Oram his own attempts at creating the eggs. Before descending into the egg chamber, he gives Oram some kind of smelly unguent to smear underneath his nose which he says will keep him safe from the hugger's attentions, and even leans over one of the open ovoids to prove that doing so is safe.

About the Enginners
>The flashback with Shaw and David nuking Engineers is entirely absent. Also, there is nothing to suggest this is anyting other than the Engineer homeworld - the characters refer to it as such multiple times.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Alien-Covenant-Official-Movie-Novelization/dp/1785654780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495689932&sr=8-1&keywords=alien covenant novelization
youtube.com/watch?v=R5j1Y8EGWnc
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotHole
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

About David
>Daniels stabs David through the eye with the nail, not the chin - we discover David shares Walter's healing capabilities here, as his damaged eye knits itself back together. This whole switch is not nearly as telegraphed as it was in the film - no mention of David reaching for the knife, for example.

>Unlike the film, David does not reveal himself to the crew, posing as Walter to the very end - Daniels goes under believing that all is right with world, little suspecting she is about to become a petri dish for the universe's most deranged synthetic. David then opens a secure line with Weyland Yutani HQ back on earth and slips his embryos into storage - these are simply hidden on the ship

David Shop
>The biggest change is the scene with David and Oram in his little shop of horrors. It is filled with all manner of fascinating and gruesome sights, including a dissected Engineer's corpse, tiny preserved neomorph specimens that hatched out of insects, and, most notably, corpses (or at least models) of something that sounds suspiciously like the classic Giger alien.

Misc stuff
>The sequence of events up until the attack in the wheatfield are more or less exactly as they are in the film - however, we do find out that Hallet, despite warnings from Lope not to, investigates the ovoid because he doesn't want the science types to take all the credit for its discovery. In fact, the book takes much greater pains than the film to justify the crew's actions, often talking about safeguards and correct operating procedure.

>As the survivors escape the necropolis, the surviving neomorph joins the party and does battle with the xeno.

THATS RIGHT OP!!

For only 4 monthly payments of $19.99 YOU can have a more in depth experience of this year's big box office hit Alien: Covenant!

Now available on Amazon.com in 60 different countries. Get your copy NOW!

Does Prometheus have an movelization too?

I don't understand why stuff that makes the characters seems cautious and not stupid was cut, in favour of stuff that wasn't even important like the sex scene or 15 minutes of pretty visuals.

Ridley Scott got whatever directors disease George Lucas caught.

>plot holes
I'm really tired of idiots using this term but then again it exposes you as an mouth drooling retard.

Sex scene seemed like a holdover from 80s horror movies.

As for characters being cautious... I think it's to make more time for AESTHETICS shots or killing

Way to just start personal attacks. The sign of a true debate master.

>The flashback with Shaw and David nuking Engineers is entirely absent. Also, there is nothing to suggest this is anyting other than the Engineer homeworld - the characters refer to it as such multiple times.

Makes the most sense.

There's a reason the Engineers never finished what they started when they tried to destroy Earth with the black goo. Their entire civilization was probably overrun with the goo and we see the last survivors who have lost their technical know-how from focusing on survival rather than restoration.

>Also, there is nothing to suggest this is anyting other than the Engineer homeworld - the characters refer to it as such multiple times.

the engineers that died were their liberals.

>David shows Oram his own attempts at creating the eggs. Before descending into the egg chamber, he gives Oram some kind of smelly unguent to smear underneath his nose which he says will keep him safe from the hugger's attentions, and even leans over one of the open ovoids to prove that doing so is safe.
Didn't they establish the aliens wouldn't go after robots? He saw David talking one down moments earlier.

I think Fox is probably involved in a lot of the shitty editing

why does she had to die

well they did look like degenerate versions of Prometheus

cuz fox decided to drop the prometheus story stuff entirely and focus on rehashing Alien as much as possible.

Even if that was the Engineer Homeworld. That doesn't guarantee all Engineers are dead. I mean they've supposedly been around since since we were amoebas.

Wouldn't they be spread across the cosmos, with hundreds of planets colonized?

To think David killed them all would be dumb. God, this whole franchise went to shit.

How would you call these narrative mistakes anything other but plotholes?

are you implying that it hasnt been shit since Resurrection at the absolute latest?
At least Prometheus and Covenant have top tier visuals and sound

Does anyone have a link for this book? I'm an eastern yuropoor and I have to choose between buying this and feeding my 10 gypsy children.

Alien, great horror sci-fi
Aliens, great action sci-fi
Alien 3, I'd say average horror sci-fi
Alien: Resurrection, campiness cheese dialed to 11

They're all great in their own way. Prometheus and Covenant just confused my judgment with pretty visuals.

>Wouldn't they be spread across the cosmos, with hundreds of planets colonized?

Black goo and the subsequent monsters wiped them all out everywhere. No containment was ever successful. Hence why they never went back to finish the job on Earth. The survivors lived a Mad Max post-apocalypse style existence.

>Alien (starship troopers edition)
>great action sci fi

I want reddit to leave

>Dog alien
In the assembly cut of ARE the alien comes from an Ox

amazon.com/Alien-Covenant-Official-Movie-Novelization/dp/1785654780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495689932&sr=8-1&keywords=alien covenant novelization

Well it seems cheap as fuck, there must be probably a free pdf out there too.

Everything except Alien, Prometheus, and Covenant is absolute shit.

Covenant is barely any good though, as it panders to reddit(you)

So now we have to read a book so the director can be a lazy bum, nice cinema you have there Ridley.

jesus christ how can you take a massive shit on prometheus and covenant and then try to defend movies that are objectively worse in most aspects of film making in 3 and R

What kind of advanced shitposting is this? The novel doesn't cost $80.00, and what's more is that you are lowering the overall quality of the board by posting in such an ironically dumb manner.

In defense of 3 & R against Covenant, at least they knew what kind of movies they were and there wasn't major plotholes

on the subject of Alien books, this was a better prequel than either Prometheus of Covenant

Learn satire you dumb redditor

Even though I disagree, that is a very widely held opinion. Calling it Reddit makes you look more Reddit than anything...

>but muh noncanon fanfiction
We reddit

no, that's called shitposting and you shouldn't do it. Ironically or otherwise.

>David nuking Engineers is entirely absent.
Do they explain how David wiped them off the planet in some other way then?

Also does the novel mentions how big Daniels' nipples are?

just because its non-canon, doesn't mean it isn't a better story

>Redditor
>"ironically" shitposting
>"It's called satire"
>calls people Reddit

kys

>Turning alien into rambo in space
>muh aliens

yes, your opinion is reddit.

Even movies are getting DLC? Add-ons that you have to pay for to fill the gaps in the story? What a fucking rip-off.

>shit posts
>calls it satire

I'd like to add that Aliens is the reason why the whole Alien IP went to shit too -- it brought in the muh aliens crowd. Aliens is the reason why AVP exists, why Alien 3 went to shit and why resurrection exists -- it changed the kino tone of the series into shit.

Too bad the movies are considered higher on the hierarchy of canon than the books

>xenomorphs
>created by an android using mutation goo from an ancient civilization

i think this series will turn into one of those situations not knowing is better than actually knowing

still doesn't explain why there's an axe on board

Why is the Axe thing even a meme?

These prequels have just done the same thing Star Wars did by shrinking the universe.

No longer is there the vastness of space and what monsters may hide in it. Everything is now just a callback to scenes from the first Alien film.

wood + cabin

Im pretty sure he meant the Alien dog from Alien 3.

Why not harvest your children for food and print a PDF version of the book on pages made from their skin?

Problems solved.

BRAVO RI(p)Dley

>Do they explain how David wiped them off the planet in some other way then?

Nope.

BUT David does mention that there's several Engineer ships across the planet, all of them sealed and decomissioned in order to stop the virus infection from leaving.

Why does Scott leave out these important little details? Just to piss off those that pay attention?

youtube.com/watch?v=R5j1Y8EGWnc

>Walter leaves the ship first to test the air and water, revealing that it's free from pathogens and pollutants

So after walking ten feet from the ship he confirms the ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET is safe for humans?

Im not sure why the let Scott write scripts or even be part of the creative team.
I mean I get it, he pays the checks, we see his name in the big screen, it's his franchise, but fuck dude he almost senile.
He clearly doesn't care about making sense and his desire to add deep thinking shit created a shit ton of problems inside the time line and continuity.

Can't fox just tell him "woah dude this is absolute shit and there's a like a hundred things that don't make sense, add least add fucking helmets"

>Aliens, great action sci-fi

No, Predator, Robo-Cop, and Total Recall are great action sci-fi. Aliens is a cash-in blockbuster that was apparently bankrolled by the visually dull concrete industry judging from the sets.

I haven't seen the movie, but Shaw seems retarded in this scene. What's her problem? If she hasn't acted like an idiot, and been hit, the engineer might not have reacted violently.

Why would you use a term incorrectly? Are you an idiot?

>plot hole
>In fiction, a plot hole, plothole or plot error is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot. Such inconsistencies include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.
Good examples: tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotHole

>noomie will never punch you in the face and rape you
kill me

The Engineer is a feminist and didn't take kindly to Weyland's attitude.

That literally covers the issues at hand.

>gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot.

The characters are a crew colonists with intensive training and high tech at hand, it goes against all logic and common sense the way they behave in a strange world.

Also the issues in prometheus are even worse.

>The characters are a crew colonists with intensive training and high tech at hand
Examples?

>issues in prometheus are even worse
The film may have issues but not plot holes. Nothing breaks logic in Promtheus like a plot hole.

>surviving neomorph joins the party and does battle with the xeno.
That sounds awesome, why was this not on the fucking movie?

What did David do to Walter?

If you really don't want space suits and helmets there are ways to write them out.

>have small scene during the landing sequence where the ship gets damaged
>have the damaged part be the cargo hold where the space suits are stored
>have character A inform the rest of the crew that the suits can be repaired bu it will take X amount of time
>have character B propose to go out without suits because it looks like the atmosphere isn't toxic
>have the characters debate about it for a bit but in the end deciding they will risk it

It's not that hard

He did the fingering.

>Their entire civilization was probably overrun with the goo and we see the last survivors who have lost their technical know-how from focusing on survival rather than restoration.
like what will happen to us and the whole fukushima situation.

>Also, there is nothing to suggest this is anyting other than the Engineer homeworld

pls no

The job of novels is literally to do damage control because the movie screenwriter was too lazy/stupid.

Are you fucking serious right now?

You are retarded, an entrie million years old civilizaton that can travel through galaxies getting wiped out by le ebin black goo makes 0 sense, especially considering even humans survived it

>The job of novels is literally to do damage control because the movie screenwriter was too lazy/stupid.

Citation needed.

>Walter leaves the ship first to test the air and water, revealing that it's free from pathogens and pollutants "right down past the molecular level."

Yes, it only takes a ONE TIME test to verify that ALL the air and water on an ENTIRE PLANET are free from all KNOWN pathogens.

Obviously a false negative, and no exploration team would expose themselves to this kind of risk, and even an amateur would be enraged over the plothole that defies the most basic common sense.

DUMBASS

Are you implying that an Android much more advanced than David is not capable of testing the entire air and water of the planet in some minutes?

Their entire industry is built on that purpose you simpleton.

>Still no citation
>Still no source

I all I read is your sperging about the issue.

>Citation needed.
that was an opinion you fucking wog

>Still no citation
>Still no source
>Still posting without neither

??

(You)

unless he can teleport, no.

>Can't back up his claims with sources

Anybody who isn't autistic shouldn't be wondering about these things.

Will there ever be another Alien movie good enough to be considered canon?

>David then opens a secure line with Weyland Yutani HQ back on earth
So he's still working with the company then. I wonder what that's all about?

So does David just fly from planet to planet spreading this stuff?

He probably doesn't want Weyland Yutani HQ to lay war on him or something for taking the 2000 colonists as his own.

It can sound really stupid, but he probably (at least in the novel) probably contacted them just to say
>hey just a head ups, Im the personal buttler android of the deseased CO of the the company, Im creating a perfect weapon organism, you guys might want to let me go wild because you can totally market it after I finish here

(You)

Not gonna lie, Prometheus and Covenant sounds like a steamy dumb turd of a cashgrab.

Were the colonists even a Weyland Yutani project?

Prometheus was alright. A decent sequel could have explained things that were missing.

Covenant was total shit.

So, should we expect a Director's Cut of the film that fixes all of this?

There's literally nothing new about movie novelizations. You have to go back.

>Alien: In Space That's Why You Need a Fucking Axe

Yep.
Almost 90% of the space travel stuff is always Weyland Yutani related in that universe.

Quick question for yall, just saw this tonight with a buddy and he picked up on something I completely missed, and now I'm really curious about others opinions on it.

Tail end of the movie, facehugger leaps onto....one of the soldiers, I don't know anyones name, and within a matter of SECONDS, far, less than a minute they cut it off and the acid burns the guys face.

They end up getting onto the escape shit, squishing the pursuing alien in the claw, and then ON the ship later another -perfectly- healthy alien shows up. I at first thought this was the original squished aliening, thinking how the FUCK is it still alive/not mangled and he pointed out to me Mr. Acid Face got face hugged

The point of this, TLDR, was acid face really wrapped up long enough to plant an egg, is the....HOURS the spend attached to creatures in every other movie just completely superfluous when they get the job done in like....10 ish seconds?

Novelizations? No.

Novelizations that act to fanwank all the plot and motivation problems of the movie? Yes.

Dunno but with all the missing shit included in the novel, and all the missing shit that was filmed but not included (colonists presentations, shaw and david talking, etc) they can perfectly add more than an hour to Covenant.

No, Fidel was not impregnated, David took facehugger embryos onto the ship in his stomach.

You answered ur own question