>Unengaging story
>Unlikable characters
>Made by teenagers for teenagers seemingly
>Badly articulated incomprehensible dialogue
>Horrendous editing, choppy and confusing
>Terrible acting
>Pretentious
>Extremely boring, dull, lifeless

I'm sick and tired of hearing about Rian Johnson being good because of this movie. Watch it, it's awful.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sUz0L4emNko
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It has some redeeming features

Is that Isla Fisher? I love Isla Fisher

Yeah, it's pretty overrated. Looper was okay though.

Looper was fucking awful.

I liked it for what it was: a high schooler's interpretation of the film noir style.

I'd definitely recommend it to any younger audiences trying to get into movies. Other than that, though, it's only noteworthy because of Joseph Gordon Levitt.

He has two good movies user, Brick and Brothers Bloom

Impossible since Brick is trash

>"what if the main character is a lowlife killer for hire who kills people who were send back in time to him, but one day, his older self is sent back in time
>he fucks up and lets his older self escape, and now has to go on the run from the organization he worked for, while searching for his older self to find out why he was sent back in time
>"nope, let's have the movie set for 90% at a corn farm and turn it into a shane rip-off"

Your first mistake is unironically using the word kino you fucking faggot. It's a decent film. Can anyone recommend me some actual neo-noir?

The cat joke at the beginning of The Brothers Bloom gets him a pass forever in my book. It was so funny that I almost got tossed from the theater because I was still laughing about it 10 minutes later and couldn't stop. He ruined his own movie by putting something that brilliant in the first minute of his movie.

Cat at :59, but just watch the whole first minute
youtube.com/watch?v=sUz0L4emNko

I think it's a great movie, but I can understand that it's not for everyone. It is very strange somehow, like it plays in some kind of alternate universe or something. I think all Wes Anderson movies are a bit in that way but I couldn't really describe what it is. Is ist simply that grown up people do very silly childish things, but everybody pretents that it's completely normal?

>Is ist simply that grown up people do very silly childish things, but everybody pretents that it's completely normal?

It basically came from Rian Johnson's idea that put together hardboiled detective novels and film noir in a high school setting to keep it fresh.

>Of the initial writing process he remarked "it was really amazing how all the archetypes from that detective world slid perfectly over the high school types"

Also, the whole film was made for like 500k so there's that. Personally I didn't like it but I can see where he was coming from with it.

Maybe I didn't really understand it in that way, because the acotrs didn't look anything like high school students. Combined with how serious they act about some childish things, I thought it's about adults behaving like children or something. Yeah, but what you say clearly makes more sense.

The protagonists are completely retarded. When finds his girlfriends dead body near the tunnel. Instead of calling the police, he hides the body inside the tunnel and goes on to make his own investigation. Isn't troubled that now that his fingerprints are all over the place he could become prime suspect. This is so stupid it hurts my brain

Something can't be a "kino movie" you fucking uneducated plebian faglord.

It's either a movie. Or it's kino.

it was pretty boring.

at this point just watch Noir good movies, and not someone trying to make a noir movie but in a teenager drama setting.

I thought I was the only one who hated this overrated garbage. It was trying waaaaay too hard to be cool. Pure cringekino

Brick wasn't just a noir movie. It's a satire of the genre and the high school setting only accentuates the humor in the genre's staples.

t. memes connoisseur

>cringekino

>It's a satire of the genre
It's not a satire. It's taking noir tropes into a non-noir setting, but it's not satire.

kys and then me for making me watch that. did you look up joke in a dictionary or something. that's not funny at all

It was cool at the time, but it didn't age well

I am in total agreement. Brick is fucking terrible. The two scenes that spring to mind immediately when I say this is the fight scene with the jock. Guy is four inches taller and thirty pounds heavier. How the fuck did skinnyfat JGL beat him? It was HORRENDOUS wish-fulfillment. The other scene is when the guy Tug beats the shit out of him, like really waylays into JGL and JGL keeps springing up like it's Naruto. That's what Brick is though: It's an anime.

Not this user.

But someone needs to fucking address this BULLSHIT flaw.

How is this movie bareable passed this point.

>a one-legged cat pushing itself around in a roller skate using a crutch isn't funny
OK, buddy

It really is. The overly-serious acting, which stops when adults come into play like the Don's mother, the characters having tragic backgrounds that would work for 40-50 year olds in noirs, and serious careers despite being high school students and just playing in high school plays, the Don's character dressing up like a stereotypical aristocrat while the muscle wears stereotypical hoodlum gear with his wifebeaters and jeans, it's all fine elements to make Brick a good satire of the genre, but it's a testament to the movie that it can also somehow work if you take it all seriously at face value.

>really waylays into JGL and JGL keeps springing up like it's Naruto
The detective in noir movies always gets the shit kicked out of him repeatedly, but always gets up. It's a genre trope.

Dude, it's just satire lol

If it fails miserably, just call it a satire or an homage

>Satire: the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices
Brick humorously subverts genre expectations and blends tropes from two disparate genres, but it is not satire.

>looks up the definition of satire
>a definition that is completely applicable to brick
>"it is not a satire"

okay buddy

>only accentuates the humor
There is no humor in Brick. It isn't satire. It is played completely straight and that is to its detriment.

>but always gets up
He gets up but at least he registers that it fucking hurt. JGL is literally jumping up like he's Vash the Stampede or some shit.

>There is no humor in Brick.

Can humor be too subtle for Sup Forums? Hmm, here something more up your braap.

OK, here's another that might make it easier for you to understand
>Sature: a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn
how is that applicable? you could maybe say it parodies noir movies, but in what way is anything in Brick using humor to examine the ridiculous side of humanity?

when i watched it the first time in high school i thought it was amazing. when i watched it for the second time a few years ago i thought it was really annoying and hard to follow for some reason, even though i knew what was going to happen. i guess you have to be young to really enjoy it

as a side note the femme fatale in the movie is one of the hottest chicks ever on screen

No, listen, I want you to tell me what was funny about Brick. was it dialogue such as this?
>Better stop meeting me in the open too. I'm going to start getting visible, and I need you on the underneath. I'll call.
>Trueman asked for you. Wants words in his office.
>I bet. Keep him off me- stonewall him, he won't bite, just keep him away from me.
>I'll try. So what's first?
>Make Em's troubles mine. I'm going
to throw a few words at you, tell me
if they catch. Brick.

>adults, be it parents, or teachers, are completely blind to the activities of the children, even if it occurs in their own kitchen, or classroom, due to the ease of life in the American suburbs and irresponsibly depend on the other to raise the children instead of themselves
>however, the ever increasing knowledge that is garnered by each subsequent generation of children has now resulted in high school students already acting much older than their age, and thereby missing out on a crucial stage of their life development as well as losing motivation for the next stages of their life, already being in a mid-life crisis at the age of 16

There is more satire, but I'll leave it at that. Brick is a satire and so are many black comedies like Network and American Psycho.

Have you ever heard of dry humor? Ever watched In The Loop? Happiness? Glengarry Glen Ross? It's like all you can laugh at are zingers, one-liners, and punchlines.

Brick > Brothers Bloom > Looper

Rian has gotten progressively worse over time.
Yet I still have faith in Last Jedi

I much preferred Weisz's fat ass then a one legged cat.

It's one of my favorite movies.

It's a grate movie. I really enjoyed this original twist on noir.

This.

Thanks for being sensible.

I agree 100%.

Finally this picture I made 5 years ago is no longer controversial.

all three of those movies you mentioned were far better than Brick.

You were right about Nichols. His last two movies were fucking trash.

PTA doesn't belong. He's made some derivative things but I think his last two movies showed a lot of potential with finding his own voice. I firmly believe he is the best hybrid of Kubrick and Altman that we will get. The other three absolutely are hacks though.

bound

do you just want to talk about anime or something? i'm all ears

I want to talk about how shitty Rian Johnson is.

The scene where they had a meeting in the house of the bad guy with his mom making them food in the background, that was rather funny imo

Watch more real noir movies and less anime, fag.

Hey OP, thanks for recommendation. Just watched it. Pretty solid flick.