How's Your Webcomic? #277

Show us your comic!
Ask for advice and opinions on any webcomic-related subject from people with terrible tastes and no practical experience! If they actually bother to notice your hours of hard work, rather than just ignore it in favor of shitposting and drama, that is!
It's fun for the whole family!

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0lck7oo4A
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
fates.thecomicseries.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=lVkWJiRE6tA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag

Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:

>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>*-Finally, here are some links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV (embed)

>*-Here’s the contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>*-We also got a SKYPE CHAT room going on,
To join the chat, seek out 'starlinemike' or 'scribblehatch' and they'll add you in.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0lck7oo4A

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

Which /hyw/ girl the cutest?

oh wow just in time, i just finished a brand new page of FATES! more pages here if yall are interested: fates.thecomicseries.com/

youtube.com/watch?v=lVkWJiRE6tA

Which one of you is the idiot who keeps forgetting to add "/hyw/" to the thread title?

Why don't you do it right next time?

>idiot
It's not a good conversation starter to insult the person you're trying to talk to, user.
If you wanted it done to your specifications, you could have done it yourself in the 12 hours between the death of the last thread and this one.

Shut up, idiot. It's bad form to not have /hyw/ in the thread title.

>girl

Maybe change the font? That's kind of hard to read.

Nah.

>bad form
hmm...

Virtually every /hyw/ has had /hyw/ in the thread title. There are people who search catalog and archives specifically for "/hyw/." You are doing them a disservice by not putting /hyw/ in the thread title.

unstable improvement/regression pic.

update on current wip from last thread is on lower right

So, someone way back in the day posted a bit of advice about how a piece of spaghetti could substitute for a nib in a tablet stylus. If you're still around, thanks, that's just saved me a bunch of money.

Much as I hate it because I've already spent a lot of time on that panel, you've got a point.
I can't really add more panels because I don't want the strip getting too tall, but I'll try to figure something out.
As for how long I spend on these, I generally spend between 8 and 20 hours per page once I've sketched it (you'd think the strips would be significantly faster than the full pages, but I haven't found that to be the case). I actually time stamp all my wips that I post.

I give it out of 10.

Makes sense, I guess. I just ctrl-f "how's".
I'll keep that in mind when making threads in the future.

While I know what you were going for with the visual effect, itl looks like she's crying blood, or alternatively shooting lasers very awkwardly out of her eyes.

pls no senpai
I want to stay

Yeah, like I said I'm looking for alternate solutions to that panel.

Have the black chick's face in the panel parallel to the blonde's, looking downwards and equally shocked. You're trying to put too much into only a half-panel and it doesn't really need that much detail to convey, anyway.

That probably will be the solution, but I feel like I should try out some other stuff as well, first. (that was actually my first idea, and there's probably a degree of wounded pride involved in my resistance towards going back to it. Gonna just have to force myself through it, I guess.)

Having her state that skeggy is wearing pants ruins the joke.

>unstable improvement/regression
Where would you improve towards, exactly?
Every one of these look like they're doing exactly what they're intended to.

quick /hyw/! post a pic of one of your character s along with a cool quote they say!

Yeah, I'm not going back to that. Just the half-panel.

Posted in wrong thread:

Rather than expecting people to go to a different thread to see what you're on about, you could just change one pixel in the image and post it here.
You're far more likely to get replies like that.

>I can't really add more panels because I don't want the strip getting too tall, but I'll try to figure something out.
I see, I am sorry I couldn't be more helpful. The only fix I can think of is to narrow the panels a bit, leave the reaction shots focusing on the eyes only... I don't really know if this lazy solution works, but it's the best I can come up with while I procrastinate to draw my own already behind schedule webcomic.

That's not a bad solution either. Thanks!
Now get back to your work, I'm already procrastinating enough for the both of us.

Good thinking.
Hey Sup Forums, I want some critique on this WIP of a Witch character I am currently creating. I would appreciate some character design feedback.

are you trolling me? I cant tell. Is this the American sarcasm? Pardon.

I just want my shit to stop looking dA-tier so when I eventually flood people with my gay girls on an actual webcomic site, I'll have a visual vantage point. I want to be able to keep up with art skills of other asians in asian sites. 1st is ayy lmao. I had good looks on 2nd and 3rd, but had chickenscratches. Shat on myself 4th and especially 5th.

Hey, this is what I meant in the last comment.
I think the "laser eyes" don't work in the style of your comic. But I think the version on the right would be the easiest way to put emphasis on her looking at the pants.
I like Left best, which is more similar to your old concept

But I get not wanting to change an entire panel after you've spent so long on the page already

very few threads have done so. i don't like it. abbreviations don't belong in thread titles
this.
>you will never get LICKY while VIDEOGAAAMES

>Virtually every /hyw/ has had /hyw/ in the thread title.
nope
i havent been paying the best attentch but i know for a fact we werent doing it 30 threads ago or prior.

The blue robe is really boring to look at because there's not enough difference between light and dark. Add some highlights or make the dark parts nearly black.

Put the belt up higher. Right now it's below crotch level, I'd suggest taking it up to the height of the top of her wrist bands at least. It would also be a good idea to have it stand out more from the robe by changing the color..

The hat doesn't feel centered on her head.

No sarcasm, I honestly don't see the flaws you're talking about.

We must have very big differences in standards.

For comparison, could you show an example of what you're aiming for?

Thanks for the feedback. Crazy how all this slipped past me, it seems so obvious now

o-okay.. a WIP

psst
the dotted eye lines should have the same spacing as the pupils, i.e. the bottom one is further back than the top one
and dark pink is not the best color for them. i suggest white with black underneath for contrast

also i should have said this forever ago but if she was showing more cuff in the last panel it would be clearer. but at this point you've done more than enough reworking

just design feedback right? because i'd be happy to give you a little anatomy feedback too.
a fox witch is prty cool. i like her tall narrow-brimmed hat, that's a combo you don't see often, and it suits her perky upswept hairstyle.
are you sure you're not gonna get sick of drawing all that jewelry? i guess you could have her get robbed if you do
the purple inner lining of the robe makes its outer layer look a little too dull by comparison, i'd give her belt its own color to separate it out. maybe the same color as her choker. that'd break it up nicely.

快看漫画

^ More on Weibo. I'll get raped the moment I step there. The places I only passed EZ PZ are philippins and thailand. I have to watch out for Ratana Satis though. Buyong is EZ PZ. I have no pics of them with me, sorry. But you know what I'm talking about right? Insane people.

Sure you can give me anatomy or any other feedback you want. I appreciate what you have given me so far, thanks!
I don't mind drawing the jewelry I'm going to put a lot of love into this comic as soon as I get the character design done.

So I keep getting these complains about how I need to be more sex positive even if I keep adding more and more rape. I don't get it.

I don't understand. Your art is already peak anime, but is that not your goal? You gotta help us out here, what do you want more of in your art: abstraction? Realism? Detail? Technical finish? Dynamic perspectives? Halftones?

Add even more rape

here check this out
first as that other user mentioned, waist is way too low. gotta think about that ribcage.
secondly, the elbows should go down to the ribcage, no lower. you've made a common mistake of the bent arm being longer than the unbent.
but even without the need for the legs to be longer, their shape is a little inconsistent and off. don't copy these redlines exactly because you've gotta put her waist higher and then think of the knee, but basically just don't fall into the trap so many furry artists do of trying to start with a human leg and add. you've gotta start with a fox leg and then make changes, or it won't look balanced or bend properly.
don't listen to anyone who uses buzzwords. not that they're automatically wrong, but they automatically have no perspective.

I'm no connoisseur of manga-style stuff and I don't read a single word of Chinese (assuming that's Chinese), but putting those characters into Google Images or what looked like Weibo's search bar, or googling the name Ratana Satis didn't show me any art that looked notably better on a technical level than what you've showed us here.

Oh man those arms were giving so much trouble and I didn't know why. I am new to drawing digitigrade legs as well. I didn't know they go out that far. Thanks a lot man, will you around in this thread? I will follow up on your critique but I have some other stuff to do today first.

I'm confused. Are you also ?

If you can't see how I regress in some comics then AYY lmao. Good job baiting me senpai. My shit are lifeless especially 4th. 5th look like shit. I'm trying to avoid that with 6th. Getting real tired typing this again and again.

So far, I'm not really having much problem. Not like last time where I'm panicking about tones and thickness here. As of now, I'm just working on tweaking my drawings to look distinguishable from other's work and be drawings that are very likeable to people.

>will you around in this thread?
i will
around
in this thread
for you, user

and yeah a lot of people try putting the thigh straight down in digitigrade legs, but that just straight up can't work. you'd have your legs way out behind you like a dog's rear end, when what you really want is your knees pointing forward like a cat's rear end. or if you've ever seen a kangaroo standing up.. shit's crazy

I hope the new dialogue doesn't affect the "flow" of the scene too badly

Me and a friend are creating a comic about a freedom fighter and an Angel teaming up to fight against machine Abominations. Story and setting is done and we're just working on designs

hahaha it's actually funnier now
just take out that apostrophe

whoa, neat.

keep in mind that that pic isn't something we did. It's just one of the things we drew inspiration from.

Comic scene in Thailand is very small. Good artists and writers have to give up making comic to get a "real" job.

i was afraid o' that.

>

yeah, I know. Hopefully we can come up with stuff that looks as good as this.

Move the apostrophe away from the door and stick it in "won't".
> The door won't budge, Becks!

The door could be higher up; have the top of the door level with the board. You could also have the pupils turned to look at the door in panel 2, rather than continuing to look at the teacher.

New Mimi today. Always exciting when I finish on time.

are me.

is someone else.

Well, it's hard to say anything from just these few panels and you might have problems that aren't apparent, but it really seems to me like you're being overly critical of yourself if you think this is significantly objectively better than your work.
Take that with as large a grain of salt as you like.

>Machine abominations

you've got me. Post some details man.

> (You)
>
>are me.

Oh my god I am the worst at quoting. Thsoe were supposed to point at
and

Yeah. Is why I said they are underdogs. They're busy with other jobs but suddenly popout in the top ranks one day like mushrooms, unlike in here where you anons still have to build fanbase and twitter and website that can took time since the scene in western is very big. Even smaller of a scene since I'll be hitting only the /u/ part of it.

DELET
>being overly critical of yourself
Perhaps I am, but this is only what I did to get to my current skill. You have no choice, you know. You either get left out or be austistic about your work.

sorry, no time to type it out. I'll post it later if this thread is still up.

Sorry to leave you hanging

You need to get Cintiq or any display tablet if you're planning to compete with the top dogs.

Most of DEM NIPPON digital artists use them. During the 'post your work space' meme you can actually count the normal tablet users in one hand.

it doesnt make them draw any better though

this one is actually really good

sure it has anatomy problems but now your colors are way better

keep it up man, and also i think is right the font is a little bit hard to read

I do understand the obsessive drive to be perfect; I get the same "but this is already fine!" responses myself, now and then. But if you pay too much attention to it, it's likely to blind you to bigger issues while you obsess over things that are already working well enough.

True.

It helps with intensive lineart work. If you have the skill and not a poorfag, go for it.

How would YOU know? Have YOU ever used one???

sure want one
but they cost 5 times what they would have to for me to consider them affordable.

Not that guy, but I have trouble seeing why it would. You don't draw any worse on a non-display tablet than you do on paper.

I use one every day and it's fantastic

My plan isn't to touch the Japanese. That's suicide lol. My plan is to hit on the smaller communities. I'm building a big gallery of /u/ oneshots (No joke, I'll have to get ready no less than 100 pages of /u/ content) that I'll flood on some more minor asian /u/ places. Last thread, I posted about how I came from a country where if you produce something, your people who likes your stuff will get very proud (because muh minority) and it gets spread like wildfire. If I did that there and have advantage (story or art), it'll get passed around to other smaller countries. Like how spanish /u/ comics make it here. Then "leakage" to... ah! Let's just say my plan is kike-ish. I'll do this, because I was able to pull this off before, but not with comics (despite having tons of errors like an user once said). I flooded a small community with so many things, I was fast in uploading and uploaded by the batch, the wildfire happened, my shit actually went to Chinese places (which intimidated me), then ????????????, it got to bigger places. My stuffs got no less than +50,000 views and I got a monopoly on a certain place until I had to leave. You might think having monopoly on one area will be good especially if you plan to bank on it, let me tell you, it's torture and will be no fun. This time, I'll just do it to gain enough readers/establish. I'm at 20 something pages yet so I'll have plenty time to work on it.

I understand what you mean, but I also want to git gud.

Im off

Having switched from something cintiq-like back to a normal tablet, I can safely say that it's had absolutely no impact on the quality of my art. In fact, I sort of prefer the normal tablet because with the display tablet, my hand would tend to get in the way of seeing what I was drawing.

*50,000 ave per image

How's this for the revised panel?

Not really satisfied with panel 4. Probably should have pulled back more.

maybe turn those lines from gray to white (fading as they go out would be fine) and i think you'll have a winner

Talk about a no-sell, jeez. You'd think she would at least have the decency to stop talking with that leak in her lung.
I think what panel 4 lacks is a twist in the spine. The shoulders and hips are basically parallel.

Wilco.

so i was looking at the main cast of the comic im drawing and if i classify the characters by their ages

>2 of them are 20
>5 of them are around 15-16
>and the last 3 are aruound 13-14

so i was thinking how i can make the last 2 groups look a bit more different on how they look and act

i started looking at cartoon characters that have the same age

and i mean just look at this.Marco Steven, Danny and Morty all have 14 years and all of them look and act extremely different, specially steven, i always tought he was like 10 because he doesn't seem to get a lot of stuff. marco and danny handle things a lot better while morty is spaghetti most of the time

and then there's dipper that guys is 12 but acts like an semi immature adult most of the time

it looks like a lot of people have different approach about how people of this age group look act, so which one would you consider the best for something like my comic that is mainly going to be about adventures in different fantasy settings where there is really not going be any kind of adult character to supervise them most of the time

people just vary. all you can do is make them come off the way you want them to come off

Actually now that I think about it, it might be cool to have the laughter in the last two panels coming out of the wound to reinforce the weirdness.

>Not really satisfied with panel 4

It would help I think if you had "action lines" in the background as opposed to simple screen-tone gradient

Alright man is this close to what you were talking about? I redlined her proportions so you can see better where I'm coming from. It looks very rough, but keep in mind her fur is factored in too and it adds some weight. Can I be presumptuous and ask you to redline for me? As a final note, I wanted her waist to look elongated, I don't want her having perfect human proportions because she is not human. Thanks for your help anonymous.

Yep, that'd do it.
I always forget about action lines as a background element.

well this is better, and I can understand wanting the elongated torso look.. but keep this in mind: right now she can't wipe her own ass. or attend to anything else downstairsy.. so what most people do is give equally elongated arms if they go with a long torso, then they just look like they have gross stubby legs. so really it.. doesn't work having a super long torso. i mean look at it.

I think it can work for an "animal on two legs" look.

you at least want different posture then. and then youll wanna experiment with a BUNCH of postures because you'll wanna make good use of that super long spine you established for body language!

Get ready to add an entire page soon.

finals are over, back to comics

>changing it from "cutest" to "best"

Its been a while since I tried to post my shit here and I'm hearing something about these theads going to shit.

Can somebody red pill me on what's going on?

Too many ''Loomis'' comments? Because Sup Forums in general is dismissive about webcomic artists that are not pro levels of good but I don't know about these threads

Shitposting
Arguing.
Little art.

Some sort of drama bleedover from the discord chat. Content still gets feedback, so you can just ignore any shitposts and you'll be fine.