youtube.com/watch?v=-w81UwZWg2k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

tja bre, vad händer?

>>go to Sweden
>>talk to a local
>>"Hej främling! Vad heter du?"

youtube.com/watch?v=-w81UwZWg2k

don't say främling

Why would you use främling in that context?

Say "främlingsfientlighet" instead

Good fucking lord
I bet you want to get on one of those global poker face screencaps

>Hej främling

Top kek. Would you call someone by "Hey Stranger! Hey outsider! in english too?

really makes you think

As a matter of fact yes you can and do.

>Hey Stranger!
Is that what OP did?
>in english too?
Yes actually but not to a real stranger. Only someone you know well who you haven't seen in a long time.

Nordics can speak English but rest of the Europe have to learn lingua franca on Duolingo, dont they have schools in Europa?

OP the lesson here is you can't translate expressions and expect them to work.

Yes, even worse "Stranger" has a much more negative connotation (implied danger, unknown character, rather to be avoided etc..) than in english, it's almost an insult if said directly to someone.

Yeah but "stranger" is more of a friendly term between people that are already acquainted. It's sort of weird, like you don't address strangers directly as "stranger" because that's seen as sort of unfriendly, but you might address a friend as such because you know each other well and it's obviously jocular.

If you don't know a person it's not really common practice to attatch any affix to said person before they have introduced themselves.
No need to call them stranger

You know what actually does make me think?
Why are the Nordic countries that already speak English learning Spanish in particular, instead of say French or German? I get that it's a widely spoken language, but in the context of Europe it would seem like French and German would make more sense to learn after English.

Yeah, same in English. You might address a stranger as "man" or something like that to be friendly but you don't call a stranger "stranger" to their face.

Are you aware of the amounts of nords that visit us and live here?

So they can go to Colombia to fuck whores and snort coke for ten euros a day
Or go to Cuba and fuck underage girls for free

Nordics learn it because it's sexy latino language and easy to learn and they think they'll use it more than German and French because Spanish has more speakers but normies dont understand that Spanish speakers are living in favelas on the other side of the world

Well that too, maybe

I learned french latin and ancient greel in midlle/high school because I visited a rather traditional school that still leans to a time where these three were lingua franca.

That said, only latin was useful for understanding the true meaning behind german loanwoards from latin and helping to remember french. I have never used french since 6 years now, every french person begrudgingly speaks english. It's completley useless.

However, Spanish speakers and mandarian speakers, often don't speak english and they are rather numerous, much more useful to learn those languages.

m8 I don't like my language being associated with those motherfuckers
Think of spen. We love you here.

You're implying anyone pays attention kek, english classes are a joke

>go to Sweden
>talk to a local
>"Krona pliis"

why do mexicans call themselves spanish
what the fuck did you guys do to those poor bastards

Lol your country is only slightly better

They can't be that bad if you manage the english grammar. Yes,m everyone here that is not a native english speaker learned english from the internet and videogames, but the majority hasn't

It's probably the fault of foreigners who don't take the hassle to distinguish between burrito midgets and good old southern europe

I can only speak for Finland, but we have to study english and swedish, that's mandatory. German and french are usually offered as optional languages in school while spanish usually is not. That's pretty much the only major european language that needs to be studied somewhere else.

Screencap for global poker face
You should shut the fuck up from time to time, you know?
Comparing those places with Spain is ridiculous. Simply check the criminality rates and other basic standards. Two worlds. But I don't expect some goblin to think.

its more like "hey foreigner!"

most likely because they learned it in school already

I get that Spain is nicer than most Spanish speaking countries, but very few people learn Spanish for the sake of Spain. There are hundreds of millions of Spanish speakers in your former colonies with either rapidly improving or at least somewhat improving economies, while Spain has ~45 million Spanish speakers and, while it does admittedly have a large developed economy, it's neither growing as fast as the former colonies nor as integral to the European system as the economies of France or Germany.
That being said I honestly do like your country a lot.

Probably because you said främling. You weren’t using it in the right context, plus it sounds kind of awkward just to say “Hey stranger!”. Plus most people in Sweden know English so it’s not uncommon for people to respond in English.

>random person walks up to you
>"Hej främling! Vad heter du?"
>mfw i'm talking to an oblivion NPC

No, it's more like "Fremdling" than "Fremder" I don't have to tell you what Fremdling means and why it's not a good idea to call someone that.

Noridic people should change their official language to English. I mean, is there any averse effect if it happens?

English isn't that connected to their national and cultural identity so no.

i guess english has the "soft" "stranger" and the "hard" "foreigner" which both mean the same thing but are different in contexts so its kind of hard to translate

No thanks

He said nordic countries, Pekka

>american comes to south italy to meet his long lost 3rd degree cousin
>"ciao paisano imma supah mario"
>gets robbed and murdered

topkek why are yanks so cringeworthy

>burrito midgets

French and/or German is taught in most Danish schools, in ways that make you want to avoid those languages later in life. Public schools are great at that.

Pretty much this.

Public school made me hate german but now I want to learn it.