I liked it. I don't understand the hate

I liked it. I don't understand the hate.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU&t=110s
youtube.com/watch?v=OGzVYyV_Jsg
youtube.com/watch?v=tfLjM-g-dTc
youtube.com/watch?v=odeRWcS-6eM
youtu.be/NxPK3sYb90w
youtube.com/watch?v=EnFc7D0ZoCc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

there is no hate, the thing is a perfect movie.

80's really had the best kino

Sub par version of an infinitely better movie, has absolutely no real reason to exist, was a prequel that was just a remake no one wanted it, also had the balls to call itself The Thing and then argue 'b-but the other film is called JOHN CARPENTER'S The Thing!'.

OP posted the new one not Carpenter's.

I think he may be making a joke that he refuses to acknowledge the remake's existence

God awful CGI, even at the time.

Nothing horribly wrong with it unless you're an autist. The problems come from the wasted potential and the fact that it compares itself to one of the greatest horror films ever made. Also, it's an interesting case of studio interface ruining a film. The behind the scenes stuff is interesting as hell and genuinely worth looking into

Has anybody seen what this movie was before the fucking production company got a hold of it? It was practical effects on par with all of Carpenter and Rob Botine's work, but it all god replaced with CGI that even effected the plot in a huge way.
youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU&t=110s

how did the changes affect the plot?

Still more believable than the original. The CG can actually move in more than left or right and the animation looked believable.

We all saw it a thousand times, dear user.

Get the fuck off this website and neck yourself.

Get out.

Times have changed, Gramps. People are no longer scared of things that are static and glued to a floor or table.

Sure it may have been wooden, but at least it was a physical object in the original. This still doesn't excuse the destruction of the beautiful practical effects of the production of the remakss

I'd agree but the CG in the movie was shit and utilized badly

Underage, should be b&

this is real!?

Practical effects don't automatically get a pass, the reason The Thing's effects are remembered is because they're really fucking good and can actually elicit a visceral from people because how nasty they look and how they're utilized. Nu-Thing's effects were just gross CGI with no flair, just thrown in your face.

You're a big girl.

There was huge practical pilot alien that the thing assimilated that the main character find as the "final monster aboard the ship, instead they turned Sanders into a thing and it is literally the most piece of shit CGI plot twist ever written and portrayed

very real, its such a shame, and the only reason it was all scrapped is cuz normies critic viewers saw a press screening and hated it

this is it minus CIA, Sanders face is ther ein the movie just like how CIA's is

You sound like a teenager m8

youtube.com/watch?v=OGzVYyV_Jsg

youtube.com/watch?v=tfLjM-g-dTc

youtube.com/watch?v=odeRWcS-6eM

Alien kek

Maybe you have. Always a good post for the newfag retards who think what the suits did was ok

Shouldn't you be busy trying to get some prune juice, gramps?

I'm sorry but puppets don't work anymore. You only needed to see The Phantom Menace to be reminded of that.

Wish it were that easy.

Definitely not as good as the first one, but Carpenters The Thing is such a good film it's hard to even compare to it on any level. But I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and as far as prequels go its definitely one of the best I have seen.

>There was huge practical pilot alien that the thing assimilated

This actually makes sense.

For MEW.

was it common in the 80s for european scientists to recruit 23 year old american woman to help them understand their discoveries?

Stop promoting rape culture reeeeeeeee

How old are you?

It was an exercise in futility and wasn't "necessary."

Shitty CGI when the original had good practical effects.

When did the other guy that was asleep get infected?

>Bunch of Swedes
>All but one speak perfect English

Kek

Norwegian's

>that's the joke

Second biggest thing that bugged me after the shit cgi, the language barrier could have worked great with a trust/paranoia angle...thankfully everyone but one or two spoke perfect english.

Missed chance, will still never understand the cg route especiallywhen a lot of the practical stuff was done.

the ending is kino.

but did lars die toward the end?

They're Norwegians

Yes, and?

They better not fuck up the Dark Crystal series. I was so excited when I heard about that.

MAC BURN IT!

Oh really?
Then why does MacReady yell "Hey Sweden!" to announce himself if they were Norway.

No, he died in the 1981 film and in the 2011 one he is a ghost.
Thats why the Thing couldn't fuck with him.

Here's the part I don't get;
In the scene where they introduce Lars, they say he speaks no English but works like a bear.

I feel this was intended to convey that Lars was a hard worker despite his inability to speak English.

Yet from what I know of bears, it is clear they hibernate through winter.
That doesn't strike me as typical of a hard worker.

I felt this really brought down the movie.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

The remake (technicallay both this and the 80's movie are remakes) had a lot of good ideas that they had to axe because of execs. The final alien looked awesome and was practical effects, but the studio made them use cgi instead.

youtu.be/NxPK3sYb90w

Can't tell if shitpost or actually stupid

I never made the connection with SH?

>both a prequel and a remake
How did they get away with it?

the cgi was not the only alternation made.
in the original script they made one guy a klutz, always dropping things. this would be the man who fumbles the grenade at the beginning of the original.
and MEWs character was basically confirmed dead instead of the ambiguous ending. she used up most of her fuel to kill the assimilated Thing. her snowcaddy would not be able to reach anything

I like the character we got better than a fumbling klutz.
The erratic behavior is pretty understandable given the situation.

any pics of the original final monster?

it was the right place & time m8

lmao no
human brain is really good at spotting uncanny valey shit
all cgi in that movie is very obviously fake af
the practical effects however have actual physical properties, the light reflects on them in a realistic way, and it makes sense for ayys and monsters to look rubbery and physical like that, because our skin is not like CGI either, it's made out of a real physical material, just like an ayys skin would, so it makes more sense in every way

You guys do realize Scandinavian countries basically learn English as a second language now if you're going into academics right?
It's more likely that they'd all speak English at least partially than having a mere few.

The Thing 2011 & the 1987 version both took place in the early 80s m8

You're thinking of Norway today after decades of oil money.

Norway was a frozen swamp in the 80's.
They barely had any functioning infrastructure.
Salmon and Cod were legal tender.

There weren't even any laws prohibiting people from slaughtering their own livestock.
Basically the middle ages.

Not to mention they were in a defacto state of war with the UK, even though both countries were part of the NATO.

she looks like she didn't age much?

but the OST user

youtube.com/watch?v=EnFc7D0ZoCc

Been a while since I've seen this. There's a scene about half way through where they are searching for the thing in outbuildings, the guy with the flamethrower enters the building and is either attacked or acts like he was. He is then seen never seen again until right at the end when he's chasing the dog in order to create the beginning for the original movie.

Why the fuck did he act like he was being attacked? Why did he hide the entire time while everyone else was dying when he had no means of escape?

I agree, after I watched it and checked out the ratings i was surprised

the two americans knocked him out while the other guy thought he was dead.I'd wager instead of going back to the main group he hid until the rescue team arrived

>both a sequel and a remake
How did they get away with it?

Were the Americans really infected?

The Thing attacks and kills Mr Echo on the rec room. Does that mean he was human?

She's only 32.
I'm 29 and my face doesn't look much different today than it did 5years ago.

The fucking effects in the trailer were mounted on people and had independant moving parts you shit stain. The video you shitposted to shows how much of a useless fagot you are in 5 minutes.

>Lars

Best thing about the 2011 film, bro as fuck character. Also the ending was perfect.

>START THE HELICOPTER NOOWWWW
>GO GO GO

Then shed a tear when watching the start of the 80's one.

It had a lot of "MUH STRONG INDEPENDAT WOMYNS" without actually making her seem smart. She's the first to know something's wrong, but like she starts freaking out immediately. She also does some really stupid shit, like, she finds the teeth in the shower and doesn't bring it up to anyone or collect them and put em somewhere, she just leaves them in the shower like a slob. It's so forgettable, but I want to say there were some moments where instead of fighting it, or running away they hide in stupid places? The snow mobile escaping despite the sabotage was a bit shit too, didn't help that the plane crashing could've also been avoided. There was quite a few problems with it. The god awful cgi in places where the practical effects were convining was also a baffling choice.

oh wow, that's actually fucking brilliant. The thing was literally so scary it fucking killed other aliens. That's some next level shit.

but everyone died & the thing gets away,how's that a good end for the good guys?

The most likely and obvious course of events for Griggs' kill-fection is that he was infected while he was out in the plane by himself getting some booze to bring back to the party inside. The film stops just short of spelling this out and it's far and away the most plausible thing which occurred. This means that Griggs is canon the very first human victim of the Thing, even before Henrik gets sucked into the Orignal Thing.

Everything in the first paragraph of this post is wrong when you actually watch and pay attention to the film.

In addition to an understandable fear for sullying the image of the 1982 film, at the time of the release of the 2011 flick, people also abstained because they didn't want vaginas in their Thing movie. But when you actually watch the film, there is nothing even slightly feminist, snide or overbearing about the female presence on the camp - apart from the simple presence of vaginas in and of themselves, of course.. A large part of the reason why this is so is because the events of the film unfold so rapidly-even more rapidly than in the 1982 film, strictly speaking-that there is no /time/ for any of the hated love interest/feminist bullshit dynamics to unfold. We're in a monster-killy story and it gets killing before any of that matters.

Kate Lloyd is unironically made to seem smart without being a cocky feminist bitch and so the exact opposite of what the above post just claimed is what's actually portrayed in the film. For proof, watch the film. She's just an academic/tech roped into an extraordinary circumstance and offers constructive advice/pushback at the appropriate story moments.

This post is also wrong in that it totally fails to appreciate the timeline of the finding-the-teeth event versus the heli flagdown. Kate correctly and immediately deduces the implications of the pathogen spreading, and because she was out of time, this is why she correctly made her non-ideal decision to attempt flagging the chopper down. The sentence about the snowmobile escape (the post is unclear on this point but admittedly he didn't watch too closely) also is unjustified.

I (somewhat) cheerfully concede that the CGI is wholly regrettable and of course won't argue that point.

that was the pilot?

>someone took the time to make that list

Europe was still pretty progressive at that point. I'd guess if the woman was actually 100% capable, they'd bring her in. It's not like women scientists aren't a thing.

She was picked because someone close to Dr. whatever knew her personally.
I thought the film made that pretty clear.

cool little factoid. see that alien there? its actually a white humanoid and what you are seeing is a pilots helmet that it wears. these dudes were the ones that seeded life on earth millions of years ago!

Probably a bit of both.

kek

weak

>Having a female live at a research facility with nothing but men for years
Yeah that's not a bad idea at all.
Still refuse to believe such an important facility would have a fucking woman there in the first place

>European scientists
The ruck happened to it being an American research facility?

>Making of teenage mutant ninja turtles
Well shit, I didn't wanna go to bed anyway.

That was fine until the cartoon spaghetti started flying out of his chest

Its a Swedish facility because its a prequel.

Yeah...too bad cause the buildup to that is good to watch.

Are you literal retards? How is baiting so easy nowadays

>have prosthetics and real effects for everything
>get cold feet and make it all CG anyway

I didnt understand this movie at all, who the fuck was doing all of this?