Watch Mad Men? Even better, have you finished all 7 seasons? If you have...

Watch Mad Men? Even better, have you finished all 7 seasons? If you have, then you'll know that you have allowed yourself the pleasure of enjoying one of the most satisfying pieces of art ever made.

I just finished an entire series viewing. The finale (scratch that, the whole damn thing) may have been even better the second time around. I got into Mad Men when season 3 during the initial AMC broadcast in 2010 and followed faithfully there on out to its series finale in 2015 and hadn't touched a single episode since. It took me 4 months to finish 97 episodes this time. It felt different this time around in the, actually quite different. The condensed Netflix schedule without commercials filled in parts of the story I had missed (several scenes and some episodes were fresh to me). I tell you what I really noticed this time around: Everything is so damn consistent. The pacing is so much better without those damn commercials. The casting was perfect. The show is SEXY as fucking hell too. I could go on and on, really, but I want to open up the discussion.

Thoughts? Favorite episodes? Moments? Character? I just really want to talk about Mad Men with you foolish plebs.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R0e8mfHzAjQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I stopped watching after the second episode when one of the female leads crashed her car because muh vagina

Tonight I dreamt that I fucked Don Draper in summer camp. What could this mean?

>tfw never experienced live Mad Men threads

Could you go ahead and keep posting anything Mad Men my good sir? I would love to get a folder going

who /roger/ here?

Nah it was shit
Don't @ me

Like most men, I want to be a Roger but I'm probably more of a Pete.

>tfw Vincent and Alexis got married in real life

I loved it too but not watched it since it aired. It's definitely in my top shows (along with Wire, Sopranos and The Leftovers) and it's so difficult to put into words why that is because on the face of it seems kind of bland.

But it's great. It's hilarious, the advertising stuff is always fun, the historical romp through the 60s and probably the most well-rounded three dimensional characters in television history. Also some of that Sopranos dream sequence magic must be from Weiner cause there's a great deal of it in this from what I remember.

I love Pete. He's such a hateable smug little shit but you kind of take pity on him cause he always embarrasses himself and with the receding hairline and uses the old timey language. HELLS BELLS TRUDY

I legit teared up when Don teared up after processing that Bert is dead

Same, but with Kinsey instead of Pete

I never got the inmense hype around "The Suitcase", I watched the episode and it was fine sure but I don't see why it's anything special. The season 3 finale was much better IMO.

It's a Chip N' Dip!

You're more of a Leonard. Gonna sit in the fridge?

for me he'll always be the guy from sex and the city that wanted carrie to pee on him

I thought the reason he was tearing up is because that sequence finally showed him what's truly valuable in life, seeing how such a greedy and capitalist person as Bert trascended his selfishness and found true happiness in... well.
Also I think it's worth noting that Bert was watching the moon landing with his black housemaid (and he used to be pretty racist), I think from that moment he symbolically already is a different person.

youtube.com/watch?v=R0e8mfHzAjQ

something so wonderful and sad about this scene

It is too much of a stretch to assume that the actress for stephanie was casted because she looked like the girl at the end of the Coke Hilltop ad? Like Don's final apology or something for someone who he couldn't say goodbye to. Clearly she meant something to him.

I think the point of the housemaid was more that he didn't have anyone else to watch it with

She was cast before Weiner knew how he was going to end it, but it works out that she figures prominently at the end

I will never understand the appeal of Mad Men or six ft under. Just a bunch of miserable shits talking.

What's missing from it?

Watch it drunk

I'm more like a Pete myself but Roger is my favorite. He's got the best lines and crackerjack timing. Don is obviously obvious, of course. He's one of the deepest chracters, in tv history, possibly.

Who'd you like character-wise? I'm sitting here trying to think who my favorite characters in the show were and I'm still having trouble deciding. Everyone was so damn good in their respective role and there's so many memorable minor characters as well. I felt like I spent so much time watching them that I felt like I almost knew or maybe understood them personally. Pete's a squirrely little shit. But you somehow end up tolerating, or even kinda liking the guy. I'm trying to think of some others who came to mind..

Poor Sal
Mona Sterling (whos also married to Roger in real life it turns out)
Rachel Menken, the Jewish fox who owned the dept store from S.1
Doctor Captain Harris, Joan's military husband who that thing happens with..

I forgot how to /spoiler/ -_-

Six Feet Under I agree, the characters are too irrational/zany for me to actually empathize with.
Mad Men, IDK, I think the appeal is watching these stoic industry types break down their charades.

I love Shut the Door, Have a Seat (it's probably top 3 for me), but I'm a sucker for two person plays.

ctrl+s my dog

It is probably in my top 3 favourite shows.

I started watching because I loved the 60's era, drugs, music, freedom etc etc.

But during the duration of the show I went from a left leaning person to a right leaning person (thanks to Sup Forums), and I think this helped me understand the characters better during my second watch of it.

Come In, Have a Seat, I believe? Yeah. One of my favorites too. T
he Hobo Code
Tomorrowland
The one where Don gets the industry award parties his ass off, then fucks his secretary who was a sweet girl but Don ruined so she quit and Don had to replace her with one he wouldn't fuck. Ida was a great character even though she dies a few episodes later. Both awesome episodes.

You're right, I don't think there was a character I didn't like in the show, apart from maybe little Weiner, and even he served a purpose.

beta

>mfw Don's other award
>mfw comes to the office to give a presentation
>mfw victory lap around the conference table

Was this supposed to be a cringe thread

Did Bert live in the office? If memory serves right the decor of where he was watching was very similar to that of the office; and his habit of taking his shoes off.

Roger is one of the most handsome older men out there, isn't he? He looks pretty good and keeps in shape. Definitely THE alpha male archetype.

nicely done my friend, ty

I have one actually. Vintage.

>Teds face at the end

Season 3 finale was my favorite too.
For some reason I loved The Summer Man, but I never see anyone talk about it.

why?

GREAT FOR ENTERTAINING

>he gets his political opinions from a Cambodian drum circle forum

decent entertaining show but fails to transcend into genuine art... like The Sopranos did

that scene is how I feel at work every single day. I wish I had the balls to just get up and walk out

The Summer Man is pretty great, I loved Don's journal narration

Anyone have any Mad Men webm's? That one is nice.

Damn, I just got here. Is this thread still going? I could shoot da ish over some Mad Men fasho.

So the finale was a metaphor for his life coming full circle.

He found his niche in advertising, lost it then came back to it with the coke commercial.

Did Kinsey deserve to be left behind at Sterling Cooper?

I don't see it so much as that he deserved to get left behind, but more that he didn't deserve to be brought along. They couldn't take everyone, and even based Cosgrove got left behind at first.

Use spoilers. I don't think its that simple, user. Its more than that.

Did he make the Coke commercial? for sure? Did Don finally forgive himself? Can he rebuild his life anywhere? What does Don even want?

Yes. Paul is the guy with interesting tastes but little else; he seems to struggle with getting along with people and never got an invitation anywhere. Subpar worker. Great character, but he had to go.

Whats your thoughts on Larry Crane?

>Hold off on the menus, we're going to take another lap first.

This is a better way to put it gently. Kinsey would be like the 9th to get picked at basketball games.

Who /howdydoodycircusarmy/ here?

I love when Joan tears him apart for dating a black girl just so he can be seen as hip and interesting but when push came to shove he didn't want to follow through on the cause by bussing down to Mississippi

And if you mean Harry Crane, I wish I could be as alpha as him. The scene where he invites Megan out just to demand sex from her is fantastic

if only he'd remembered that idea

>THE KING ORDERED IT!

It's a chip and dip.

>You ever get three sheets to the wind and try that thing on?

I know. Kinsey makes me uncomfortable sometimes. I've dated black girls before and I hope to not have come off like Kinsey does without realizing it. I think I'm fine but he's definitely a cringe character.

Crane an Alpha? Not really in my book. Useful, yes, but is treated like a subordinate despite being a partner. He's continually putting his foot in mouth or getting in the worst situations. Harry Crane has the most lines of non-jokes you laugh at. I have trouble pinning him down. He never got a lot of screen time but didn't need to. I think the point of Crane is "the guy who's just there" but he finds himself in such crazy situations that being there becomes an ordeal.

Fucking lol

is his baldness real? I thought the actor had a full head of hair.

He shaved his head for the role

I hope its growing back.

Bump for angry guys.

If you had to pick your favorite moment of the series what would it be?

Honestly the moment that comes immediately to mind is "The Wheel." I hate myself for saying it because its fucking easy to say so, but its one of the most affecting scenes in all of television for me. I like the Hobo and Young Don. I think Kiernan Shipka is really awesome with Sally, and I'm not saying that in a Sup Forums creepy way. How were they able to pick that young kid and have her blossom into a wonderful actress? Only Mad Men. The scene with Sally and her friends eating lunch at the train station with Don. Captivating.

>Is it just me or is the lobby full of negroes?

he had five-o-clock shadow on his head for a while, but it is

>tfw doctor captain harris will never force himself inside of you

Ha, I wonder why they chose to address Pete's balding in the later seasons. I'm curious to know what the writer's reasons were for Pete to start getting progressively thinner. Do you think it started as a joke that gained traction as Pete became more of a jerk that it was was basically karma, or is Pete just a spindly weasel of a person that they thought it would just make sense.

>There were phrases of Beethoven’s 9th symphony that still made Coe cry. He always thought it had to do with the circumstances of the composition itself. He imagined Beethoven, deaf and soul-sick, his heart broken, scribbling furiously while Death stood in the doorway, clipping his nails. Still, Coe thought, it might have been living in the country that was making him cry; it was killing him with its silence and loneliness, making everything ordinary too beautiful to bear.

The joke is that Don's first episode tear-down about him being a little man with a little bit of hair in a corner office nobody likes was coming true.

Literally (you)

this makes me kek every time

So don't you see Harris later on after he leaves herand show up to Don as an apparition dressed in his uniform indicating he had died in Vietnam?

wut? no. joan mentions at some point in the 7th season he married some nurse and already has a kid with her

how'd he know all that way back in the first episode?

pretty sure that was the real Don

i guess he read the script

I love Mad Men. It helped me through many sleepless nights, because it was so fucking boring I couldn't make it through an episode without dozing off.

Someone please sum up Harry Crane in a nutshell for me. He's such a hard character to define because I feel like his ethos is.. I can't do this. Someone help me. He lasted since season 1, was made partner in SCDP because he was useful. He doesn't hang out with the others much, except maybe Pete and Cosgrove. The senior partners give him just about zero respect and flat out refuse to fraternize with him. The women find him cringey and odd. Think about his qualities in your mind..

Am I just overthinking this and Crane is just recurring comic relief?

this aspect of Ken never seemed to match up to his actual characterisation for me.

Its tough. I've tried it. I've had several morning bourbon and Mad Men binges back when I was a silly alcoholic. I'm talking like 7AM til noon just getting hammered, and ordering delivery food, sleeping, waking and starting over. I don't recommend doing this but it can be fun sometimes until you finally get really confused at trying to keep the story together in your head.

Sounds like you'd be describing The Wire if you changed just a few names and words. Oh, and all the white ppl would become black ppl.

Harry was derided for not being attractive and scandalous like everyone else, but he knew which way the wind was blowing and it kept him afloat in the agency because he was changing in stride while the others were stubbornly trying to catch an airline or cigarette account.
Then he became a sleazy casting couch guy, which made people like him even less. He started off boring and he ended up creepy.
In the end, everyone was mad because the office urinal became the most important part of the agency - Cutler Gleason knew how important he was, and unlike Cooper and Sterling (old money) he didn't care how low on the ladder he was, he was a solid support for their business.
I think the point was that Pete desperately wanted to be creative but had no talent and chafed at being an account man, while Ken was a good account man and a great creative mind who didn't mind his place and found a healthy outlet for creativity on the side.
Pray tell, how did you get by? Neetbux? Independently wealthy? Trust fund? Tendies?

I love this show, if only because I work in marketing and strive to be a creative genius and prized pig like Don. But I also just wanna be the artist doing my thing like Stan Rizzo.

No that was the army guy he attended the wedding of (and gave away the wife) in the season 6 premier. The guy who said married men live longer...

THE BIGGEST BLACKEST PROSTITUTE I HAVE EVER SEEN

No, remember when he kept seeing apparitions of young soldiers coming and talking to him, and somehow it turned out they had died overnight?

>I've got good news and bad news
>WE LOST JAGUAR
>Oh! Then I only have good news!

>tfw Ken Cosgrove irl

>are we negroes?

I mean, I would try to have enough money on the days I didn't work. I'd wake up early, cook breakfast and start drinking (Wild Turkey 101). I would blast my AC and climb into my comfy couch and blanket, and I'd be setup for hours of MM.