How long until marvel and dc die?

How long until marvel and dc die?

Im sure people thought this would happen in the 40s and 50s and 60s and 70s and 80s and 90s and early 2000s.

Never dumbass.

Late 2070's.

Of this fall. Only a few Supers will be remembered.

Valiant should reclaim the golden throne of comics.
>almost no SJW pandering (let's accept it, Faith is borderline parody)
>really creative characters
>cohesive universe
>crossovers with a purpose other than 'muh reboot'

You cannot kill what have not live.

>Valiant
Literally who?

>Valiant should reclaim the golden throne of comics
>reclaim the golden throne
>reclaim
Implying that that D-list also-ran has ever even broken into the Top 10.

Not soon enough

Some fags with an almost perfect output.
They were almost on Marvel's level on the 90.
If it wasn't for Deathmate and Acclaim then they would have taken over the comic industry.

>How long until marvel and dc die?
Given how stupidly popular the IPs of both companies are? Not anytime soon, user.

Now if you're talking about floppies via LCS's then I'd say that that might happen this decade if they keep on the way they're going with the constant reboots/relaunches; the idiotic (and pointless and dull) "Events"; and the variants and gimmick covers (DC's lenticular 3D nonsense during Villain's Month gave me serious "double embossed foil" flashbacks).

>They were almost on Marvel's level on the 90.
That was Image.

Is there a good reading list for the whole new Valiant universe? I've thought about getting into that.

not before you and I are dead, op

Would the comic industry be able to stay alive without Marvel and DC?

14 years

>They were almost on Marvel's level on the 90.
>If it wasn't for Deathmate and Acclaim then they would have taken over the comic industry.

Not really. Valiant titles sold decently back in the early/mid-1990s, but a lot of it was because it was riding the crest of the speculation wave. It was rather poorly managed from a business perspective, actually, expanding far too much, far too fast, and running the whole collectible cover thing to the ground.

The funny thing was that Valiant titles were technically selling well, in the sense that retailers were ordering them in great numbers (again, these retailers were amateurs playing at the speculation game), but customers weren't buying the stock. It wasn't uncommon to see boxes of unsold Valiant comics just laying idle in shops (although to be fair, you could say the same thing about a lot of Marvel, Image, Defiant, etc. comics as well). It was crazy times.

If anything, Acclaim buying the company (and the ridiculous amount of debt it had accrued in the short span of its operations—it was in the hole for several million dollars by the time of the buyout) ensured that the original Valiant would survive a little bit longer.

Hopefully, the current Valiant execs have learned lessons from the company's past.

Probably not, given that Marvel and DC, taken together, account for about 65% of the dollar gross in the direct market. It's not as if people who exclusively buy from the Big Two will suddenly start buying more Image, IDW, Dark Horse, and BOOM! Studios titles to fill the void left behind if Marvel and DC suddenly disappeared overnight.

But if the indie publishers keep collectively gaining market share, I think we might eventually get to the point where the direct market won't be so dependent on the two leading publishers to survive. That gain in market share must come in the form of new audiences, though, not just a redistribution of existing readers (i.e., actual market growth, not just the illusion of growth).

Go to bed, Mr. Shooter.

Both have survived since the 30s, and they survived through some pretty bad times like the comics scare of the 50s.

Plus they're now both safely ensconced inside giant corporate media empires. Despite sales being low they're probably in the best position they've ever been in.

Disney is never going to let Marvel die, nor is WB going to do so for DC. The actual comics publishing costs those corporate titans virtually nothing compared to what they make, and they're reliable IP farms.

I wish the US market would become more like the Japanese market.

Not because of any weeaboo bullshit, I'd just like to see a greater diversity of books available from a wider variety of sources. It would also be nice if comics would be more respected as a medium like in Japan or Europe.

Aren't comics selling better these days than in the 90's? Because of digital sales, and that tpb's and omnibuses sell better today than in the 90's?

I doubt it. In the early 90s issues were selling in the millions.

Kids these days have no idea how crazy the speculator bubble was back then.

>Aren't comics selling better these days than in the 90's? Because of digital sales, and that tpb's and omnibuses sell better today than in the 90's?

It's hard to say because digital sales data is proprietary.

You've got to look at these things with the proper perspective. Back in the late '90s, it really looked like it might be over for (American) comics, but only because the industry had fallen from such a great height. In 1993, the US comics industry grossed over a billion dollars. By 1999, it was pulling in less than half of that.

Last year, the US direct market grossed $579 million—on the surface, it looks like the market has recovered from the late 1990s crash, but once you figure for inflation, it turns out that it's not the case at all. We're either still in the same spot, or slightly worse off in terms of print sales, and the outlook isn't exactly all that positive moving forward: Readers are getting older and moving on to other entertainment options (or, you know, dying), and they aren't being replaced fast enough by new and/or younger readers. This is what happens when you place comics behind the direct market barrier and foster the perception that superheroes are the be all and end all of comics... odds are, most "new" sales are being made to existing superhero comics fans, not new or casual comics fans. The market isn't really expanding into new demographics despite publishers' attempts to diversify their products. The industry has painted itself into a corner with its reliance on the direct market and Diamond Comics Distributors as its single largest point of entry. Maybe digital comics will change all that, but I'm beginning to wonder if comiXology will just give rise to digital versions of the same old direct market problems, primarily the inability to gain traction in the growing demographics the Big Two have been devaluing for so long (i.e., younger readers, seniors, women, "ethnic" readers, etc.).

How long till modern society crumbles?