I just watched the entire Avatar: The Last Airbender series in three days. It was so perfect

I just watched the entire Avatar: The Last Airbender series in three days. It was so perfect.

What all did they do so wrong with Korra? I can't put my finger on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=Gen Z
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There was no filler in Korra and not enough episodes in general

There was no chance to develop these characters in scenarios that allow them to express other feelings other than the stressful and negatives ones caused by the antagonists. Everyone in Korra feels one note because they are forced to stick to those roles for the sake of plot progression.

>It was so perfect.
Except the Deus Ex Machina end.
Lion Turtle out of no where to give Aang exactly what he needed to safe the day without having to compromise his moral beliefs.

What was wrong with Korra was that she never learned from her mistakes and she never really faced the consequences of them.
S1 was almost great if everyone depowered by Amon stayed that way.
And if she didn't defeat him by just yelling out, with no proof, that he's a liar.
That too was fucking stupid.

Incidentally, the issue with consequences is why Season 3 is really good. At least in my opinion

This is a pretty good summary actually, every time we see those characters interact, there are high stakes and not a lot of room for just being themselves, whereas the Gaang had plenty of down-time for them to shine through as characters.

This. The characters all boil down to their reactions to situations other people thrust upon them. There's very few moments where we get to know them because there's no stand-alone episodes, just advancing the plot of the season.

And too many characters. ATLA had a lot of characters but LOK seemed to introduce new ones just for the sake of it.

>And if she didn't defeat him by just yelling out, with no proof, that he's a liar.
Does anybody have that comic where she does this and he just goes "no I'm not" and her whole plan falls apart?

C'mon dude. Can we not just have a nice ATLA thread without recycling the Korra arguments every time?
I think I'd even rather talk about shipping and waifus at this stage.

Yeah I'll admit that the new solution seemed too easy. I get so caught up in the overall beauty of the finale battles, though, and didn't consider that so much before.

Really wanted to see Aang pierce through Ozai with that final elemental strike that was shown to be dissipated before contact, still.

1. Odd technology jump. The environment just seemed weird with cars and mechs, and flying mechs.
2. Korra isn't likeable like aang. You don't really want to cheer for her.
3. Poorly fleshed out villians. Avatar spent a lot of time building character and motivation for zuko, azula, and the firelord. Korra had a formulaic 1 villian per season which didn't give time to make them interesting.

We could. Sorry. It might be too late but we can try to redirect it.

I think the finale episodes to ATLA are some of the most well-done episodes I've ever seen of any TV show.

>the firelord
>fleshed out
He was pretty just the "End Boss" as a character.
Unrepentantly evil.
Just wanted to burn thing because he could.

Korra Season 3 had far better villains

Everything about Korra was bullshit.

I loved the red lotus, wish they hadn't ate it so hard at the end after having been hyped up as god-tier benders.

You had to remind us of that fucking robot. I mean, we didn't forget, but still.

I think ATLA has one of the best finales I've ever seen in terms of tone. The action, the comedy, the drama, the romance, the world building, the lore, the choreography, the score even, everything is ramped up to 11 and really understands and celebrates what made the show work for the previous 3 seasons.
I think that often is underestimated because writing is much easier to criticise an evaluate. I definitely think the actual conclusion was less than ideal and I get the disappointment, but every other department absolutely knocked i out of the fucking park on Sozin's Comet.

Season 4 was actually going pretty Ok.
Until that.
Should have kept it a train gun.
You know, because you can't get enough Nazi parallels

>Just wanted to burn thing because he could.
>implying Sheev isn't the best character in Star Wars
Evil evil evil villains are great if they're entertaining enough, and I loved every moment Ozai was on screen.

He was less fleshed out than Zuko or Azula, yes.

At the same time you have to account for the madness he had as a character as a result of being raised by two other psychotic rulers. And the fact that he had to burn everything because they had attempted to win by not burning everything.

And the last battle between him and Aang was solid enough to make it really enjoyable, at least. I didn't find that enjoyment with any of Korra's final battles.

Im not sure if these explanations make a solid enough argument for Ozai being fleshed out, but

I agree, I think you could tell with what he did to Zuko, and learning about how his grandfather betrayed the Avatar and even how Azula was that Ozai was one fucked individual.

>rail gun from wwi
>nazis from wwii

Pick one

But you needed that for the motivations for zuko and azula.

I actually had an 'oh shit' moment when that combustion bender chick blew her own head up.

But anyways, a character being as pure evil and deranged as he is doesnt suggest a poorly written one.

Knowing his willingness to kill/banish Zuko and his mother made him seem truly terrifying, as well as his genealogy.

That combustion moment genuinely freaked me out.

That was unprecendented for an Avatar episode.

>korra fights her way through every situation that is grossly inappropriate to fight through
>tries to talk herself out of an actual fight with earth bending lady

It really seemed like a half a scene was cut out, the way it quickly cuts away to Zaheer's reaction makes it look like there are a few explody frames missing.
Not that I'd expect that, but then I didn't expect P'li to pop her skull like a melon wrapped around an m80 either.
The little scene showing her and Zaheer as a couple made it hurt a lot worse

>I actually had an 'oh shit' moment when that combustion bender chick blew her own head up.

if you didn't you don't have a soul

what happened with korra?

bryke was approached by nick who wanted them to make a miniseries about the next avatar. they said ok, and they got to work on a 9 ep run. then nick saw the response online and asked them to expand it to 12 eps. then they asked them to stay on for multiple seasons.

you can see where they were scrambling to expand the storyline to more than a miniseries. the first season would have been a really fun trip back into that world. it had great action, love, heartbreak, all of that. and that end? holy fuck.

but then they were tasked to make more seasons. well shit what do we do from here? ok red lotus - fucking baller. but you could already see them writing for a shorter season and then fleshing it out in weird ways, and throwing in old characters and archetypes.

tl;dr - korra was a great miniseries that got too bloated and unweildy. if they were told that they were in for another multiple season deal they could have actually spent the time and effort making something like the first show.

>you didn't all laugh at the Amazon doming herself
Come on, that was funny.

i mean.

i laughed my ass off after the shock of someone blowing off their own head to the sound of the tone wore off.

BONG.

they said they were going to make it less of a show aimed at kids.... and holy shit they did.

She was the love of someone's life.

Because it was just ultra violent for a cartoon. I mean, they did suffocate the Earth Queen to death and that was pretty crazy but when her head pretty much fucking explodes as she's trying to get the metal off while her love of her life is watching that's fucking brutal for a modern Nick cartoon.

By making a cartoon for nobody.

Let's talk about what went wrong with ATLA other than lion turtle and chiropractor rock.

>Azula hyper competent
>Gaang being super special snowflakes
>Aang meant to be this pacifist character, yet solves most of his problems with violence and only losing like 2 fights

The whole thing could have been paced a bit better. A lot of filler early on and then a big rush to the end.

not sure OP i got bored halfway through Avatar but loved Korra.

Amon was the only good villain and he went to shit when he was revealed to be a literal who.

Of course you did, you Gen Z brat.

>Gen Z
Not him but what is this?

I don't view seasons 2 and 4 of Korra as canon. It's the only way I can rationalize the dips in quality.

My headcanon:
Season 1 happens, the vast majority of the victims of Amon's bloodbending get their bending powers back at the end of season 1 thanks to Korra, but instead of Fire/Earth/Water, they all receive Airbending power instead. Never explained, just assumed to be an unintended consequence of blood bending. Season 3 happens, ending with Korra taking a long vacation with Asami while other benders protect the world.

There, that's it.

Fuck everything about S2, Old Toph, and Suyin, and turning Kuvira's morally grey actions into a Saturday morning villain.

s1: Terrorists attack and destroy a major public building and then escape. Do we get night raids? Chasing down terrorists? Arresting sympathizers? Revealing their next step?

Next episode:

>Uuugh I'm soooo bored guys. Let's go to the pool!

And the fights were shit. The whole season only had 1 or 2 good fights. One of them was Korra vs Tarlok. Probending was unimaginative shit where creativity was punished.

You're fucking weird. Weird in a bad way.

lmgtfy.com/?q=Gen Z

Korra was flawless

Lying isn't right, user.

Disney usually avoids female leads because young boys make better consumers of those kinds of action shows.

Early focus group testing of Korra showed that boys liked her a lot because she was an actual strong female character, and the fact that she was a girl didn't make a big difference.

Then quickly into Korra's series they changed that. Quickly started into relationship drama, had her spend a third of the show weekend and/or incapacitated in some way, had everything go wrong every time she tried to do anything.

It just turned to shit fast.

The bit about the airbending is stupid as fuck.

The thing about Korra never learning a lesson is what did it for me. The show in general rewarded her bad decisions.

Penultimate of that for me was when her father was sentenced guilty by a the legal process. Tenzin warns her not to act rash. She then with no evidence or even suspicions (save "I love my dad") accosts the judge only to be rewarded for doing the wrong thing, to find the judge was corrupt.

That rubbed me the wrong way. Most time she was just being rash, which was her character, but this time she was straight out committing a crime. Until the judge let slip, she was the villain.

You know, you just reminded me Korra existed.
Thanks a lot, asshole.