Has there ever been a time in comics where a reboot or a retcon was absolutely necessary?

Has there ever been a time in comics where a reboot or a retcon was absolutely necessary?

Yes, Marvel currently needs to pull a Wanda+Beyonders+Secret Wars retcon so that they can fic the mess that is SJWmarvel

>the mess that is SJWmarvel

At this point, I wouldn't even call it just SJW shit. It's really a mass of Social Media driven gimmicks and what have you. For fucks sake, we had Deadpool meme covers.

>Deadpool meme covers

Yeah, and you forgot NaziCap.

I think I'll compile a list of everything bad that's happened.

As a casual fucker I'd be interested in seeing that list. It seems these days comics get their circulation via events, gimmicks and shock-value plotlines.

And they were Incentive Variants going at insane Ratios, I think the one making fun of DC's Half Page Ads were like 1:2999 or something.

>SJWmarvel
Just for that I hope they make Cap gay, and black Superman becomes the only Superman over at DC.

Quite a few times actually.

>Cassandra Cain
>talking in complete sentences
this is where they fucked up

Captain Marvel and JSA were both in dire places before the New 52 reboot. Curse of Shazam was a welcome change, and Earth 2 started really strong before Robinson left and everything went to shit.

Also, earlier in DC history, Johns fixing the Hawksnarl. You also argue that Zero Hour was necessary to correct some continuity wonkiness post-Crisis, but killing off half the JSA in the process probably wasn't necessary.

That's only like 1% of what's wrong with that arc.

After the plot-hax where she gained the ability to speak she learned how to speak in complete sentences just fine, the thing is, they need to be short sentences. She doesn't speak at length, it doesn't even fit her personality.

how was this run of Batgirl?

They should've retconned Spider-man OMD somehow like a year after it was published. And Sins Past.

Puckett's was the best, Horrocks was okay, Gabrych's was bad and drove to title into cancellation.

Fuck Gabrych for getting rid of Cass's crush on Bruce.

Much more severe issue is how they completely misrepresented the relationship between Cass and David because the writer couldn't be arsed to read a single comic where the two had interacted before.

And more severe than that is how the whole story depends on Cass being driven insane by the idea that David had other students, even though SHE KNEW ABOUT IT ALREADY AND DIDN'T CARE.

>Gabrych's was bad and drove to title into cancellation.

Didio is what drove it to cancellation. They literally decided to cancel her because they wanted everybody to focus on Batwoman (Kate) instead.

Horrocks run was aggressively mediocre. Puckett run is the good one.

>manara conspiracy
>muh race changing with miles
>muh new captian marvel with kamala and embracing the evil that is islam as "tolerance"
>Killing off white fury to make shekels
>[UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ABOUT ISRAEL]
>IT'S ACTUALLY ABOUT ETHICS IN HAAMER-WEILDING!
>Weekly Frank Cho Cover
>New "Captain" Marvel uniform and boob reduction
>The mere fact that something as vile as Civil War II exists for promotional purposes
>Marvel NOW! 2.0 in 2016 (yes, it's real)
>Nazicap
>furryblacktain america
>Tony=Peter
>Peter=Tony
>Bendis fucking up Tony and Peter and still collecting shekels
>Dan Slott : "I will never stop writing Spider-Man"
>The 5-issue All-New Marvel!
>The obnoxiously-named and even more disgusting All-New All-Different [Insert adjective here] [Insert Noun Here]
>Kate Leth quits Squirrel Girl
>Squirrel Girl exists
>THE FANTASTIC FOUR ARE BEING FUCKING IGNORED

>>Kate Leth quits Squirrel Girl
SG or Hellcat?

>>New "Captain" Marvel uniform, boob reduction, and later dyke haircut
ftfy

I misremembered. The downward slide into being one of DC's lower-selling titles happened with Horrocks and it stayed there with Gabrych who somehow didn't bleed any additional readers. Horrocks did provide a lot of cute moments like the one I just posted, this one, and others.
They really dropped the ball. Puckett/Scott's last issue after a three year run still sold more than Nightwing, Geoff Johns Flash, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Brubaker Catwoman, Robin, Gotham Central, and Harley Quinn. Within two years that was no longer the case.

Pre crisis DC, everything post flashpoint

Oh noes, someone attacked SJW's. LGBT board is coming out to defend their bitches.

Remind me, did Posehn retcon some of Way's shit?

I haven't checked the numbers, but I'd bet serious money that the crash in readership coincides exactly with the horrible artist who replaced Damion Scott.

I think that the Legion could have recovered from some of the shocks of 5YL, but once you introduced the vintage young versions of the Legionnaires with Batch SW6, some kind of reboot became inevitable.

I dropped after Good, Bad, The Ugly, but I'm pretty sure he said Way's run takes place while he's constantly getting drugged and harvested for organs. That's why he's so lolrandom, he gets his brains blown out and regrown every few weeks.

As long as JQ is still alive that will never happen and Pete will be a forever alone beta cuck.

>getting rid of Superbro
>neccesary
fuck you grandpa
you old fucks had to ruin it for everyone

>black Superman becomes the only Superman over at DC
Technically and for precision's sake, Val-Zod is the only male Kryptonian and now is known as Superman on Earth 2, as of World's End and ongoing to Society.

Not to mention Earth 23.

Once someone competent is in charge at Marvel and realizes Spider-man literally made a deal with a devil, they'll need to do a Green Lantern: Rebirth tier retcon to make it not his fault.

why is everyone calling Rebirth a reboot when it's barely a stealth retcon

Because people throw "reboot" around too much all the time for everything.

Hell people called DC You a "reboot" when it didn't do a thing to change current official continuity.