BEST CUT OF WATCHMEN?

Theatrical, Director's Cut, or Ultimate Cut?

>inb4 the movie is bad
>inb4 nebulous 'it missed Moore's point' shitposting

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zRJIyjbiPcs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Director's Cut. I watch the Ultimate Cut every time but the Director's Cut is the best version.

DC

Was Ultimate Cut the version that had Black Freighter in it?

Either way, Standard Cut. I like Director'a cut, but a lot of the cut content really isn't needed to follow the story. 2 and a half hours is already good length.

cheeky bastard
I like you

Ultimate cut

Dont listen to the memes. Without the black freighter is half the movie.

The cut where we don't watch it

Or pic related.

FUCK

nebulous 'it missed Moore's point' shitposting

also the movie is bad

Yeah, everyone including the female characters being voiced by the same guy is obviously the best video experience you can possibly have with this story...

It beats the movie by a mile, so yeah.

Director's. The Black Freighter is ultimately pointless and bloats the movie even more than it already is; it really only works in the comic.

No Squid No Watch

>it really only works in the comic
Isn't that just a sign that Watchmen should have stayed a comic book?

BASED

No. It's just proof that Snyder is shit at adapting stories from one medium to another.

Watchmen is not unfilmable. In its unaltered form, it could work great as a TV show. To be a movie, and more importantly, a GOOD movie, it needed to be adapted with the film medium in mind, which means cutting out all the stuff that only works in a comic.

The best adaptations are ones that take the broad outline of the story and make it their own by putting a unique spin on it that still keeps the spirit of the original source. See: Jurassic Park, The Shining, Lord of the Rings, etc.

What is the "missed Moore's point" argument?

Wasn't the Terry Gilliam version the closest one to doing that? Moore said that he liked it. Who knows if he just ran out of shits to give at that point or he was really serious.

Does anyone else skim-read/skip read the Black Freighter parts in the book?

I get it's point but it's one of the points in the book I care less about

DC

2.5 isnt long if you are used to watch movies.

It's a bad film whatever version it exists in. Adding a few extended scenes and an animated bit doesn't excuse Zeeeaack Snyder's inability to direct dialogue scenes with any emotional weight. It exists as a series of scenes, some quite well done some awful that don't come together into anything coherent. It's a fucking mess.

I prefer the Best Boy Cut myself.

>>inb4 the movie is bad
>>inb4 nebulous 'it missed Moore's point' shitposting
Look you motherfuckers, you don't get to say 'inb4' when you're the goddamn OP. It doesn't work that way!

When Snyder goes on and on about how faithful his intended version of the film is as close to a panel to frame translation of the source material as possible, noting he completely missed the actual point of the comic is a rather valid criticism. Not something you can just dismiss as nebulous shitposting because you disagree with it.

Director's Cut.

I'm disappointed that the Ultimate Cut incorporated Black Freighter, but not Under the Hood, which I thought was much more important to the larger story.

>Zeeeaack Snyder's inability to direct dialogue scenes with any emotional weight

this extends to pretty much any scene that's meant to have emotional weight.

i still don't understand why people think the hollis mason death scene is so amazing. everything, from the music to the slow-mo flashbacks and fighting, was so incredibly cheesy and try-hard.

I thought Rorschach's death scene was amazing, and Snyder's decision to have Nite Owl present really helped. I started a thread on that last week, actually.

Nebulous? Half of the point of Watchmen was to capture paranoid feel of living in the 80's at the brink of apocalypse, knowing that entire world might end soon - that is the point of all the sideplots - newsvendor, lesbian couple, NYPD cops, shrink, showing their lives intersecting with those of superheroes - trying to show us portrait of an entire city. Entire city, dying. Entire city, reborn.

There is a reason why Rorshach is just some random bystander - it makes sense, in the comic there's ton of random bystanders given storytime.

That, and commentary on superhero stories of the time, trying to examine what would create superheroes we know in real-life terms - giving us backstories and psychological profiles instead - without glorified extreme violence typically associated with superhero stories, where violence was either downplayed or terrifying. How would superheroes work in real life? Pretty fucking scary.

And ending, fucking ending man. It's entire point was building up to a simple concept - "what could really, possibly lead a man to become a comicbook supervillain? To annihilate entire cities with genetically modified alien monsters - not even for profit? Why would someone do that?"
Entirety of that point is missed by making some bullshit Dr Manhattan nukes.
Also, the comic - it examines morality of someone like Ozymandias. And it's gone.

Worst of all, bunch of good scenes are removed - "ground floor coming up" is a classic, and it's replaced with a shitty "it's all a joke" EPIC FIGHT SCENE! And then, a shitton of redundant stuff is left - newsvendor/kid dying is left, despite not featuring elsewhere. Cops are still in the movie, despite not playing any role. Bubastis is still in the movie, though without genetic manipulation plot she is pointless. Knot Tops are turned from being a hypothetical subculture to show how different this world is from ours, into a generic street gang for heroes to beat up.

>Snydershit

global rule 6 family

Further: There is a subtle theme of right-wing characters appearing to do good on the surface, but being actually harmful - and left-wing characters appearing to be bad, but doing good. Ozymandias seems to be a villain, but he's saving the world. Comedian has good publicity, but he's a bastard. Rorshach's self-rightoeous crusade almost destroys the world - and so on.

History of Watchmen can be interpreted as loosely based on history of superheroes - we start with Shadow, Spider, Sandman, Zorro etc - "mystery men" (Silk Spectre, first Nite Owl, etc). Then, Superman comes along (Dr Manhattan). Then, superheroes fall out of fashion, with exception of a few (Keene Act). Then they come back in glory, with a more science-fiction bent (genetically modified squids, humans with psychic powers, alternate dimensions, Dr Manhattan promises to make some alien life - and Ozymandias is first proper supervillain - fits with Lex on being both businessman AND scientist).

Oh, and big point - remember Rorshach's journal? Like how in the movie actor says out loud "Rorshach's journal etc" ? In comic, he doesn't. Look at the font saying "Rorschach's journal" - it's not in the same font as Rorschach's handwriting. So it's narrator? But Watchmen doesn't have one.

So what is it?

The answer is - it's New Frontiersman publishing the journal after Rorschach's death. It's bookending entire thing - it's not "unknown" where they did publish the journal or not - it's stated at the very beginning they did.

Movie missed... a lot. Like, a metric fuckton. It's similar story, but castrated.

The only way to do it, would be to have it be completely reworked around how superhero movies are, so it would fit with superhero movie tropes.

>Snyder
>Shit
>implying MoS and BvS are also bad

>triggered

Gee, wouldn't anyone to throw some ROTTEN TOMATOES at the director.

see

>yawn

Was the Black Freighter included in any version? I thought it was just kept as a standalone extra.

i'm out

Yes, both MoS and BvS are bad, good job Sherlock

>lying on the internet

Yeah... I quite liked the Watchmen motion comic, and think the guy voicing it does a solid job with most of the characters.

But it really could have used at least one female voice actor.

youtube.com/watch?v=zRJIyjbiPcs

don't we wish..

>baiting this hard
They're better than anything the MCU has done at least.

this movie is great. directors cut is best cut. the theatrical cut. then ultimate cut.

How about none of them you loser.

Watch Watchmen Midnight. It's a fan edit of the Ultimate Cut, adds in chapter titles, reorders scenes in the order of the book, changes some music and gets rid of some pointless violence and overly long sex scene.

I know purism is important to people and they have a metaphorical meaning to the main story but honestly I find the Black Freighter segments fucking insipid.