Is it possible for a cartoon based on a video game to be good?

Is it possible for a cartoon based on a video game to be good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BEItCGjqcmc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wakfu exists you know.

that's a card game. card games make GREAT shows

It's still a "video" game in the technical sense.

Also, even though they're anime, I was always partial to the MegaMan Battle Network and StarForce shows.

Wakfu/Dofus, Sonic Boom, for some Sonic SatAM, for others AoSTH, the Angry Birds shorts, Viva Pinata, Viewtiful Joe, the Super Mario shows,

I though Sonic made a pretty good show or five.

Ruby Spears' Mega Man wasn't terrible.

youtube.com/watch?v=BEItCGjqcmc

Earthworm Jim.

Came here to mention exactly this.

It depends on what you thought was good or bad.
The Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat cartoons were hilarious fun.

Wakfu was a video game years before it was a card game.

Japan does it fairly often

This design is alright, just alter the face up and it'll be great

Not western but I felt the kirby cartoon was fairly good, not perfect but it had its moments. Also some decent OVAs of video games exist.

I just want to know why they're so afraid to stick too closely to the source material.

It kind of made sense with the 90's cartoons, since back story was lite and a lot of characters didn't have good references ( that still doesn't excuse some of the shit DiC did to Sonic and Nintendo characters )

But why do they have to make an entirely new universe for Sonic, Pac-Man, and now Megaman to have a cartoon?

>This design is alright, just alter the face up and it'll be great
I have to agree. The Tron look is somewhat interesting and has potential. I actually like the Tron style, even if it doesn't look much like Mega Man.

But whoever drew the face doesn't look like they understand anything about... well, anything, really. Terrible perspective and what looks like a "we're trying to be Cartoon Network" design style. Definitely ruins the whole thing.

>I just want to know why they're so afraid to stick too closely to the source material.
Classic Mega Man fans are incredibly anal retentive about their games. If Capcom had tried to put out a classic Mega Man, a MMX, or a Legends Mega Man, then you'd be hearing outcries about destroying childhood memories - especially if they decided to toss out the plot of those old games. If they're planning on an entirely different plot and setting, then a new Mega Man would just work better.

New Sonic was based on the idea of a multimedia "reboot" or new franchise line. It's just that the games were awful to mediocre, the comic was canceled due to Archie money problems, and the cartoon wasn't popular enough.

BANANA SLAMMA

>I just want to know why they're so afraid to stick too closely to the source material.

I think it's somewhat a mixed issue. Creators waffle so much between sticking to the source material and being original that they just end up making some mediocre, instead of ideally taking the source material and building on it into something interesting.

Kirby anime was pretty good, especially subbed. The loss of spanish metaknight and southern dedede was a loss, but i'd rather have actual music from the games than the garbage that 4kids used in place of it.

Its less afraid and more that 90% of the people who work on promotional brand stuff like this just don't give a shit.

Being an existing property you already know as a director you can't take it with you when you go for your next job. The property owner will be anal retentive on everything you do and nobody is going to remember you for regurgitating an old story.

Combined with getting shit pay and you have a recipe to put in the bare minimum to win the job.

Japanese do all the time.
And uh, Sonic Boom? Sonic Satam? Wakfu? I guesss?

The cartoons and comics are the only good things to come out of the Sonic franchise.
Oh and the music.

upboated

One game grumps sheckel for you.

The actual Wakfu game is a grindfest that would even put koreans off. I was somewhat disappointed playing the game after watching some of the cartoon.

>tfw mighty n° 9 is a total shit
kek

Sonic Boom, right?

OP asked if it's possible to have a good cartoon based on a game, he didn't say the game had to be good too.

I was disappointed that I couldn't convince anyone to get off MTG to try the Wakfu card game. Fucking Magic's the DnD of cardgames; people start off on it because it's popular and never leave for better systems because they like what's familiar

Pokemon

WotC a blight upon gaming

Sonic Boom's adaptation is better than the games.

Which, admittedly, wasn't exactly hard to do.

Texan DeDeDe was the best.

>pokemon
>a good adaptation of a game
>let alone a good stand alone cartoon

You probably think X and Y is an exciting status quo breaker too, huh?

Kirby Right Back At You wasn't shit.