What is Sup Forums's opinion in cycling culture? I see cycling growing pretty fast in some American cities...

What is Sup Forums's opinion in cycling culture? I see cycling growing pretty fast in some American cities. I've been to Amsterdam and their infrastructure is certainly enviable. But are cyclists in the US just a bunch of Europhile liberals who hate America and want to turn us into Europe, or is it a good thing that all people can embrace?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=1MQakN4-emA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I enjoy biking but I simply cannot ride 30+ miles a day for my job. Need car.

I live in the suburbs and I'm lucky enough to be able to commute to my job by bike because it's only 4 miles away. But I'm literally the only person on a bike most of the time, and people in the suburbs haven't warmed up to the idea of sharing the road with cyclists.

road bikes and spandex are for uppity yuppies and closeted numales.
Mountain bikes and BMX are god tier sports for active people that have balls and agility.

I love bicycles, but drive a truck with 37" taarrs and have lots of guns. So it's not a leftard thing- except in the urban centers, which are filled with faggots, spics and groids. Who gives a shit what they are into.

I would commute to work via bike, if it weren't 100+ degrees outside

I'll admit to suiting up in spandex for my weekend rides on my road bike. The butt padding is very comfortable for long rides.

Cycling infrastructure are usually vanity projects that reduce road capacity and cost millions just to appease a small minority of hipsters.

This post is so fat I can literally smell McDonald's

Reduces sperm count so can only be good for the world if mouth breathing long hair pinkos continue to cycle

Cycling is fucking amazing. It keeps you really fit, makes cities better to live in, reduces pollution, and reduces world dependence on Saudi Arabian oil. Most who don't like it are fat fucks who want their massive SUVs and are happy to send money to the Middle East.

When making housing choices, cyclability is one of the most important factors for me.

hamburgers are too fat to ride bikes. they'd need to be tricycles to support their weight

I'd love to bike to work OP - if it wasn't 30 miles away

It is based but some bicyfags take it too seriously, like atheist fedoras or vape faggots.

A lot of studies seem to indicate that cycling is becoming very popular in the UK, and not just in big cities.

ehh I'm just stereotyping/ being a shithead. I have some road bikes too, I just don't like riding around cars. Spandex isn't a big deal, whatever you're confortable in is good.

Go back to stacking wood.

I like that they're typically not raging faggots in my city. Other than that I don't care. Seems like a pretty choice mode of transportation under the right conditions.

There was I time I biked to work every morning where I was stationed and just about everywhere else. Helped later on dealing with divorce.
Few years later now, getting flabby.
>Debating returning to this to get back and forth from school.

This post is so shit I can literally smell the feces.

Only maybe if you are putting tons of pressure on your taint, which you don't need to be

hah! 6'-4" / 220 in burger units, can run 4.4 40s all day, nigra. Greek god genetics, except for some acne, which keeps me from ruling the universe. I piss on most people from considerable height.

while I'm bragging, I can coaster wheelie for days. What's your skillset, aside from raping moose?

I used to cycle, I'll start again once I buy a bike. Spandex is the best way to show muh quads, and the ass padding is comfy. Plus it's a great way to spend time, and also good for staying in good shape.

I lost 25 pounds after one year of bike commuting. Feels good.

Don't have to pay for fuel, can get many places faster with a combination of bike/public transport if it comes to that, no issues with finding a place to park or pay for parking.
At least here it's pretty good, but still need a car if you have a really early/late shift and work outside of a city.

That feel when want to bike to city, but a fucking storm is on the way.

I don't mind it, but I get a good laugh when some motorists get so increasingly butt devastated when they see a cyclist on the road.

I don't why people are so fucking scared of maneuvering around bikers? I see drivers literally swerve to far left lane in a 3-lane road when I'm riding on a bike lane practically in the gutter.

also obligatory video.
>youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=1MQakN4-emA

Cambridge has the highest proportion of cyclists in the UK. 29% of workers. And that's a town with a very small area and a massive student population.
In England and Wales the proportion of workers who commute by cycle is 2.8%, and this is after a complete stagnation of road building and massive investment in cycle infrastructure.

In 1997 Tony Blair decided to unilaterally phase out car ridership by printing "We can't build ourselves out of our traffic problems" on the Labour manifesto. The Tories never reversed this absolute mongoloid policy.

Cycling is a meme. People don't want to cycle to work and the numbers show it. Most studies publish only the "increase" in cycle ridership while hiding the complete picture, so they make it seem that an increase from 650,000 to 750,000 cyclists in a country of 60 million over a decade is a huge achievement.

Also don't forget commuters aren't the only element of transport in a city. Large cities have a logistics network that go from ambulances to construction work. All that is being penalized to the benefit of a handful of rich wankers who happen to live within a cycle ride distance of their offices. Them and gulible poor idiots who cycle all week then go on to order everything from groceries to clothes online to be delivered at their doorstep because they don't even own a car.

>not having the spatial awareness to know if you're going to clip a cyclist.
This bugs me more than it should.

Should be banned for anyone over the age of 60.

But other than that it's the most red-pilled commute.

Used to be against bikes, this being a country with a Winger stretching from Oktober to May. But since getting a city bike pass, I must say that I've changed my stance. I can get more or less anywhere in the inner city within 10-15 minutes tops. Going back to getting on a Tokyo style tram full og sweat and farts sounds like a nightmare. Sadly the bikes will be taken away as soon as the first snow hits the ground..

>cycling culture
Ooohweee!

I don't mind it. I get tired of bikers who refuse to follow traffic laws or swerve in front of my motorcycle.

I can't stop on a dime but these stupid white sluts on their hipster bikes will still fly out in front of me or jump the side walk into the road. laid my speed tripple r down a couple months ago because this stupid slut flew through a stop sign on her bike.

I like bike riders who are respectable and follow the law though, they hurt nothing.

reasons to bike in murrica:

+want to do something for own health
+want to save on gas prices
+combine both above: drive to mcdonalds, use the saved gas money to buy burger, eat it knowing you burned the claories for it on the way there/back, maximum freedom

verdict: a good guy
-"ohmygod europeans are so progressive i like bicyvcles too now!"
-"fucking scum driving their pickups everywhere with that co2 emission omg ITS 2016 COME ONE"

verdict: absolute faggot kys

Is it even possible for a post to be cringier than this?

Low quality banter, Hans.

yes, it's always possible for pol to out autism itself bro.

This guy gets it.

>I like bike riders who are respectable and follow the law though, they hurt nothing.

And I would love to follow the law in Amsterdam.
But with all the tourists having zero clue what the law actually is, or even paying any attention to cyclists whatsoever, that's sadly impossible in the inner city.

meme, your Arabian ass.

you don't have to be wealthy to live near work, just willing to move closer to the office. My company moved twenty miles from our last building, so I moved. Not that hard.

I didn't drive to work from '07 to '13, saved me $10K easily, and the time spent in traffic, which is worth more than the money.

Best part of my day is jumping on the bike for the ride home. By the time I'm home, all the faggotry of office work is left in the dust.

Every single cyclist is a massive wanker

In medium sized cities with a lot of congestion you can travel faster and get exercise at the same time while saving a lot of money.

30 miles id definitely too far to do as a daily commute.
I'm doing a 2 month summer contract for an engineering firm and since they're only 12.5 miles away I decided to bike it for most of the placement.
Takes me in the range of 45-50 minutes to do and desu if it wasn't for the fact that it was only for a couple of months during summer I wouldn't have wanted to bike every day.

My personal rule would probably be: If I can get to work by bike in 30 minutes or less and the weather isn't completely awful then I don't really have an excuse not to bike beyond laziness.

Commie faggots that hate infersturture.

>But are cyclists in the US just a bunch of Europhile liberals who hate America

Ride 20-30 miles 5 days a week as a part of my workout routine. Have 2 and looking at trading one in for a new one as well.

I am a member of the NRA, carry a Sig 9mm, constitutional conservative, and military veteran. So the label of liberal newfag cyclist is not accurate.

It's a good thing so long as the city has infrastructure to keep cyclists off of 2 lane roads. Nothing sucks the fun out of a morning or evening commute like a bunch of cocksuckers in spandex going 15mph

>and nothing puts the fun back in the commute like using the sport setting in most cars to blast past them

Somebody needs to mass produce these...
Drive the price down from $350 to $100

Wankers, all of them.

Still doesn't mean I don't want to swing my door into you

it's anonymous, user- like I give a shit what a Turk manlet thinks. get back to work on your bomb

>15mph

Whoever does 15mph needs to just walk.

Degenerate poor lib thing to do imo

>Large cities have a logistics network that go from ambulances to construction work. All that is being penalized to the benefit of a handful of rich wankers who happen to live within a cycle ride distance of their offices.

You seem to overlook that every bicycle on the road means one less car.

I seriously doubt I could get an Ambulance to my home in under 8 hours if everybody drove cars.
Trip to the hospital would probably take all day.

I enjoy driving as much as the next guy, but living in a city and cycling everywhere you can is a great way to instantly reduce your cost of living by thousands of dollars a year while increasing your physical fitness. Bonus points if you live in a city with decent public transit where you can skip a car entirely. For things like cargo hauling, grocery shopping etc, car sharing services can fill the gaps. It really feels good to get rid of a car and all the associated headaches.

However, all this depends on living in a place with the right infrastructure and where the city isn't designed around freeways.

>My company moved twenty miles from our last building, so I moved. Not that hard.

Of course not when you're le trendy hipster bachelor living in a studio and eating noodles for dinner.
Try doing the same when you have a wife and kids. Will you ask your wife to find a different job elsewhere or just let her live with Jamal? And relocate your kids to a different school as well just because your corporate kike overlord chose to settle in a different office block? Fucking dumbass. Thanks for proving my point. The whole cycling fever of the last two decades is politically motivated to foster a minimalist, eternal student lifestyle. It's mobility limitation pushed to the extreme.

>a cuck literally moving home to be closer to his job because long distance commutes are no longer an option because that's how his government urban planners decided things should be.

Kill yourself.

Do the Dutch still cycle a lot even in the winter? My limit is 20 degrees fahrenheit. Anything below that and I drive to work.

Boris:
>Why is he giving that poor lady the middle finger?

I like cycling but fuck no I don't want my roads shortened so that some fucks can ride their shitty """"""""for fun""""""""" bikes. asphalt is for those who go fast

Maybe if I lived in a city, I would do it. It's uncomfortable driving my truck in a downtown area because the lanes are extremely narrow and weaving 2 inches to either side puts me over the line. But then again there's not even many bike lines here, they just ride on the street next to the parked cars, so drivers essentially only have one lane to travel in.

>Do the Dutch still cycle a lot even in the winter?

Yes.

It never gets really cold here.
And ice/snow gets cleared quickly.

My bike use is because it saves money, I don't really care about the exercise or the environment.

Ccycling is huge net loss for society due additional congestion of traffic they create and poor safety. Many things were banned for less (like car without set belts), cycling should be banned too (soft banned by permits and taxes).

I'd rather they have their own lanes. Ideally by taking up some of the pavement.

It drives me mad being slowed down to a crawl because someone is cycling uphill on an already narrow road and there is nowhere safe to overtake yet. Outside of the towns/cities there is next to no-one walking around unless school is just starting or ending. They should be more willing to use the pavements during those times.

I used to cycle to the nearest train station a couple of miles away and the pavement was fine for me. I fit a ringable bell to the handlebars and people would always give me enough space to pass when I used it. Never had any problems so long as you say thank-you when they move out of the way.

If you want to be a hipster get an old fashioned bike horn.

hahahaha! you're such a victim.
let the buttmad flow through you, cuck.
All the things you whine about are your choice, Ahmad. You sound pissy, maybe you shouldn't have married that fat clown and had rats, it's causing you to waste your shitty life commuting. A man must make sacrifices to further his shitty lineage I guess.

Portugal has a retarded amount of EU sponsored asphalt and the emptiest roads I have ever seen.

Why not suck up a couple more billions from the EU to lay down bicycle roads?

>You seem to overlook that every bicycle on the road means one less car.
Not every auto journey can be replaced by a bicycle. Besides the construction of a cycle lane almost always involve de removal of at least one car lane (maybe two or three if there's some pretentious urban embellishment project attached to it) and the ridership on cycle lanes is always lower than that on roads.

>I seriously doubt I could get an Ambulance to my home in under 8 hours if everybody drove cars.
Bullshit. When a road gets reduced to single file traffic to accommodate cyclists it means cars can't pull over to let emergency vehicles through.

Seriously I don't know how you Dutch managed to convince the world that Amsterdam was a city model to be followed. It's literally a tourist trap and most economic activity in the Netherlands doesn't even happen in that shithole anyway but on other cities that as you well know, have swift motorway and road infrastructure and don't give a shit about cyclists.

I just picked it up.

Lost 3 pounds already.

Stay fat and in your cars, faggots.

the first tar-sealing/asphalt was urged back in the turn of the century on behalf of the Wheelman bike association not cars.

Get an electric bike m8.
Every steep slope will be a child's play.

Cycle faggots in Dallas cant into traffic laws. Then cry like bitches when they almost get run over for riding the wrong way down a one way street.

because laying down bicycle roads mean less space in those empty roads for me to drive in
fucking KEKS

Most people I know do it for excessive and none that I know personally are liberal. I don't know how you made that connection.

I drive to work because I refuse to live in the shit-infested confines of city limits with their arbitrary revenue generation tactics and, worst of all, neighbors.

But I do enjoy riding my bike around town just because I like riding bikes. Mostly though, I mountain bike, which is completely different except for the whole 'two wheels and pedals' thing.

That said, consider how many cars are taken off the road in that picture alone. Like them or not, having those guys riding their bikes places makes driving a lot more tolerable for you and I.

Well, I'm not the one who is filled with joy for saving 10k in a 6 year period. That explains why you go to great lengths to orbit your office cubicle, you would probably starve if you lost that job.

Enjoy your noodles tonight ;)

As someone who drives for a living...cyclists are assholes and should all die in a fire..

>Why not suck up a couple more billions from the EU to lay down bicycle roads?
No problem if cyclist will pay for it from their pocket. But they are definition of free raiders.

>tfw live in the ultimate cycling country
>tfw can cycle for shit because of a balance problem thanks to a brain injury

feels bad man

Infinite amounts of mad flowing here. You need to loosen up bud. Have you considered biking to work to release all that impotent rage inside you?

brofist. Keep it rolling and watch out for dorky Canadian door-swingers.

People that get mad at bicycles are all uncoordinated cockmonglers. no exceptions.

I did this for a year to save money. It was about 35km total. Lost like 50lbs and was eating the same. Once I started driving again I gained it all back.

Thinking about doing it again but there were quite a few mornings where I was like "Jesus Christ why am I doing this?"

Aww did your dad beat you instead of teaching you how to ride a bike?

Can't you get a Tricycle of some sort?

A cargo-bike wouldn't look too strange. I see them on the cycle paths by the beach quite often, usually with children in the cargo part.

>I don't know how you Dutch managed to convince the world that Amsterdam was a city model to be followed.

The FUCK are you talking about?

Even "New Amsterdam" (hurrr New York) which was MADE BY THE DUTCH didn't copy old Amsterdam because they knew it would be terrible.

>most economic activity in the Netherlands doesn't even happen in that shithole

Yes it does.
It is by far our biggest economic hub.
Only Rotterdam comes close due to the Harbor.

Who gives a fuck?

Portugal is mostly empty wasteland.

in b4:
>muh cork

Amsterdam in the 1600s is not the same as Amsterdam in the 2000s

German studying in the netherlands. Cycling is heel leuk if the infrastructure is given. Cycling in the designated cycling country Netherlands is great. Cycling in germany is a shitshow.

This obviously only applies to urban cycling

>cyclists ruined cities
>then they ruined /n/
>now they are trying to ruin Sup Forums

When will this end?

its not wasteland, we're just to poor and stupid to do anything with it

Do you get a subsidy for that?

Honestly i don't even remember how i was taught riding a bike, it was so long ago and i was so young. But then i studied economics and was redpiled. Fun belongs to parks not roads you didn't payed for.

It would look really weird.

I'd prefer to keep my "handicap" as invisible as possible.

Besides,where i live it's a walking distance to the grocery,baker deli etc so it isn't really a problem.

It would have been nice during my middle and high school days though.

>exercise is bad

lol burgers

I am on disabillity bucks.

City council here plans to destroy our newly placed sidewalks in favor of wide cycling roads. Cars would barely be able to pass each other, and sidewalks would be just 1,15m wide (lots of families with children here).

Major road just next to ours has a good cycling road, and now they wanna spend 10million taxpayer money on fucking up ours, bloody hell..

you mad bro? I have my own office and part ownership of my friend's consulting firm.

I'd tell you how much fun we have in glorious NorCal but it might anger Kek.

You seem angry, maybe you should go for a pedal, feel the wind in your balding mane before Mohammed bans cycling without a burka.

Don't listen to this cuck. I have been to Portugal and it's a huge enjoyment to drive there. The Algarve in particular is any driver's paradise. Cheap and easy to park, good roads connecting villages. You can have breakfast in Sagres, lunch in Portimao and go to Albufeira for the night. Not joking, I loved the lifestyle that area allows you to have, reminded me a lot of US cities.

I'd move there in a heartbeat if I spoke your language.

>implying bikes cause even remotely the same amount of damage to road surfaces as vehicles do.
But go ahead and keep believing that the leach bikers over a 2 ton car is somehow costing "you" of "muh roads" and highways in maintenance.

>are cyclists in the US just a bunch of Europhile liberals who hate America

The only guy I know who cycles in my burb is also the only NRA member. Go figure.

Cyclists can go suck a big fat cock like the cucks they truly are. Slowing down traffic because of your dildo mobile is not cool

Nah, my route's pretty flat for the most part so it's not slopes that bother me at all. The ride itself is pretty good, but I just wouldn't want to be doing it if it was -10 out or pissing it down with rain for an entire month.
If I were to work there permanently then I'd probably either drive (once I actually bother to finish getting my license, uni's actually kept me too busy for that and I failed my first time on the test) or just move closer.

Did a 1 year work placement while doing my degree and my bike ride to work back then was 10 minutes at most so I'd do that no matter what the weather was.

>This obviously only applies to urban cycling

We also have a national cycling-road system.
Those bicycle roads are way better than urban bicycle lanes.