Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/nickspencer/status/736212346209607684
bleedingcool.com/2016/05/27/dc-universe-rebirth-1-gets-a-second-print-for-5-99/
twitter.com/brianbendis/status/482324064971669504
youtube.com/watch?v=kHmYIo7bcUw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

HI OP

sigil magic won the day, JSA is going to be in everything now

Ah, back when the russkies were our eternal enemies in media, and we were funding groups we would come to regret in order to fight against them.

The fall of the soviet union must've left a lot of people writing russian movie villains speechless.

>JSA ongoing
>Legion ongoing

Holy shit, this better not be some monkey's paw shenanigans, I swear to god dog.

I assume the Captain Atom sigils confused them and gave us an intended Atom storyline followup instead

It's still just a word promise right now.

Captain Atom's in his classic costume, JSA, LoSH and Thunderbolts are getting books...
Storyteller's sigil magic is too strong!

I've been busting up all day at the dude burning the Cap book on twitter

let's keep sigiling furiously for what else we want, shit, can't stop now

orlando showed us his home-made jakeem figure

you don't do that for no reason

This is 87, so it's really not long before the end. Putin's tenure has in many ways re-established the threat of Russia in the media though.

Storytimer please run Seaguy. You're our only hope.

Anyone here read 1980s Outsiders?

Pozhar was the Russian dude who became half of Firestorm, as I recall

I remember Katana's horribad costume, does that count? Because holy shit, she's had so many horrid costumes I'm glad movie Tats is a thing.

I'm just suggesting caution, friendo. Think of Mystic U (I always wanted Jakeem in Mystic U).

>I've been busting up all day at the dude burning the Cap book on twitter
I know. Just... JFC. The whole hivemind for this transgressive SJW shit is unbelievable. What a fucking cacophony this has generated.

I find it funnier how all the comic creators I follow, the ones who actually know what's going on are just taking the piss out of the people who are angry. DC, Marvel, doesn't matter, they think this shit is hilarious.

Like, I don't want to call anyone Hitler, buuuuuuut...

The spy genre has never really been the same.

I just find the state of play really dire. These people have staked out their arguments and even the mocking of much more informed, better placed people doesn't shake them. There's no debate on this - it's pure us vs. them.

It's a shame that the rich Middle East never took off as a replacement setting

Fukken Dubai, man

It's hard because I am not going to be the person to shit on someone else's pain, that's a personal issue and the internet has made us all mean enough as it is, but I can still think an argument is weak and ungrounded

I'm of the opinion that if they want to stake out a stupid comic cliffhanger that will be undone in the next three issues as a hill to die on, then so be it.

woah woah woah, link? I totally missed that

>let's keep sigiling furiously for what else we want, shit, can't stop now
I feel like I'm pushing my luck if I start sigiling for much more

plus I've been sigiling for something nice to happen to the GL books for ages now but nothing's working ;_;

have you brought mosaic to the people?

I'd love to read something well-researched enough to be set there and deal with its conspicuous consumption, but you'd certainly step on some toes

shit, some of those toes could use stepping on. The exploitation of construction workers in the Emirates is horrifying.

There's no saving Venditti's writing, but who know, maybe Humphries won't be as bad as we're expecting.

I'm entirely wiling to call this one for the stupid bullshit it is. Thousands of children and Jewish survivors in nursing homes are not weeping at the sight of Captain America. It's laughable.

Some people just have a gift for it, user. Consider sigiling for something more obscure. Conflicting sigils may be a thing.

>There are Cap fans who've had family that were killed by Nazis!
There are probably Cap fans who've had family eaten by wolves, you don't see people complain about CapWolf.

Forget in a page, there's Deadshot in a panel.

Vendetti can be good when he cares, is the thing! X-O Manowar shows that.

We just have to hope EVS was able to get him to give a fuck.

Someone tweet Morrison for guidance. He can probably give you the appropriate jack/jill off instructions.

>no one will make Spencer answer for his treatment of Zemo because the normies are complaining about a plot twist

it hurts

I like how Penguin gets a little respect for his expertise in making getaways.

twitter.com/nickspencer/status/736212346209607684

Cause day got dem oilz, son. You gotta like how America could be almost entirely oil independent on just Canadian oil and our own oil, but no, the liberals don't want that so we have to be best pals with one of the worst human rights violators on the planet who had a hand in 9/11.

There's nothing to answer FOR, in either case. There's exactly one way you censor a creator for yourself.

oh lordy

The closest thing, and I mean by a HUGE longshot, was the brief premise of J'onn's female personality, heisting some rich mofos in Dubai

I tried that out and it's still mediocre. Maybe it's just a case of lower standards for X-O Manowar.

Fuck yeah Squad. screwing up in Russia time

did watchmen influence this with it's take on realistic politics

I'm in tears

>I don't do that. Comics were meant to be read in hand, not on screen. That's for movies.
this fucking guy

This ran concurrently with Watchmen. Watchmen was like half released when this run started.

Hickman had some responses to McKelvie about the conundrum between "Wait and see/Review our #1!" and what fans may reasonably expect

>Flames were meant to burn books, not warm us. That's for electricity.

Ostrander's simply that kind of guy. Product of the times, in the best way possible.

then it was just the 80s.

How far did you get through it? It was basically his first major comic from everything I could tell, and he grows with it.

Wasn't crazy Shadow Thief in her /d/-tastic one-shot stealing some things somewhere in the Gulf?

The letter at the end of the run is so great--"We thought we were being so transgressive and then Iran-Contra happened"

I just want a nice "he was just pretending to be retarded" retcon

>>>Following the release and success of "DC Universe: Rebirth" #1 this past Wednesday, DC Comics has announced that the blockbuster issue will return to stores with a second printing on June 8th. The new edition will feature an updated cover from artist Gary Frank and it will be presented in a new, square bound format that will give the issue a spine. The first edition of the oversized "DC Universe: Rebirth" was stapled like a standard comic.

bleedingcool.com/2016/05/27/dc-universe-rebirth-1-gets-a-second-print-for-5-99/

They were running concurrently so possibly, but I think Ostrander just knew his shit.

People gonna find a way to gripe, but it's basically a mini-trade at this point.

Fuck Soule for ruining a perfectly good character. And fuck him in general for being a hack.

I'd settle for some classic "crazy like a fox" keikaku magic

That's valid - you have to be able to take something on what's there - but that never slips over into legitimizing death threats, cries for censorship/cancellation and emotional histrionics. If you don't like it, you don't buy the book, and it's always okay to do that at any stage of something. You can write a letter, but you can't expect to have any actual creative license over something you're not creatively involved in.

A lot of people talk about how identity becomes performative and censorious these days, but this is a great example. Almost nobody with a stake in this is seriously offended - everyone without one wants to be, or feels they have to be. It's scary.

I am tempted to get it, I kinda want a shelf friendly version of Rebirth but they haven't said if it'll be collected in anything other than an omni yet

It's funny, Soule started out so great, his work on Swamp Thing was top notch.

Speaking of Watchmen last few pages have been staying close to 3x3

You know, I think the Rick/Eve/Tom triangle would probably be more interesting to me if you subbed out either Rick or Tom for Bronze Tiger or Deadshot.

I can easily see writing a review of #1 that includes some "This hit me in the gut in a bad way" and then you might turn down reviewing #2. But then you have no grounds to have opinions on the rest of the run, and "This was SO AWFUL it can't be continued adequately" is going to be a hard one to sell, IMO.

That was a fluke.

There are white people who desperately need to feel special, who don't realize they have people in their lives who already think they're worth noticing.

What're we decrying him for now?

I know he had Shadow Thief pop up near the tail-end of his Red Lanterns run, but how was that ruining?

If you want to decry the man, decry him turning into an editorial lackey at Marvel post-exclusive

>A lot of people talk about how identity becomes performative and censorious these days, but this is a great example. Almost nobody with a stake in this is seriously offended - everyone without one wants to be, or feels they have to be. It's scary.

"Virtue signaling" is a term that gets thrown around a lot by hard-right and alt-right crowds, but it's a real thing that happens on all sides. (even the people who use the term itself as a signal for those same hard-right groups)

>and "This was SO AWFUL it can't be continued adequately" is going to be a hard one to sell, IMO
Ha, try telling that to Sup Forums.

It's not especially a "white people" thing IMO. I'm sure social theorists have a big interest in this sort of thing these days, but to me it's a fear thing and a change in how we're defining ourselves.

Every page of this is packed and structured

She was written as an anti-villain in her one-shot and then along comes Souless and turns her into a generic villain then kills her off.

Isn't it, though? In recognizing that various other kinds of people are worthy and have merit, plenty people are gonna see that as a zero-sum game.

That fear that you're talking about manifests itself in a lot of ways, in people who get overtly spiteful, and in people who need to create something to restore themselves to...whatever pedestal they want to be on.

I'm not quite sure what Sup Forums as a whole thinks of this twist other than really enjoying all the CSB fodder that's come out of it, I'm more thinking of the comics sites out there which have published the "This is horribly offensive" thinkpieces.

It's funny, because I was reading an essay from the beginning of the 20th century that complained about English gentlemen's clubs in exactly the same way that people bitch about social media today. Mainly that it isolates people further from dissenting opinions and just surrounds yourself with people who like the same things you do and think the same way you do.

This isn't a new phenomenon, it's just that affluent countries have far more of an access to allow it define more aspects of their lives, at all times.

most of what i've seen has been "Spencer is just doing a dumb shock twist that'll be over in 6 months" real jaded stuff.

Continuing to listen to anyone who's published that as anything more than a factual report deserves serious consideration. It shows a real fuck-up, either in their own thinking or in their need to sell an opinion.

I thought the issue was bad. Offensive? Get the fuck outta here.

I wonder how well this issue maps out onto actual Russia geography.

I think one of the more useful things to discuss and think about is, will this matter? Will Marvel be Marvel and stay the course knowing that nobody really votes with their wallet?

awwwww yes

THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU DEAD! is one bad. ass. line.

has anyone written about what hydray things Steve has done so far? like he's said hail hydra but that could just be words

He also shoved Jack Flagg out of a plane.

well the implication is that he's been indoctrinated into Hydra since childhood, right?

he hasn't done anything hydra-y yet, I guess we gotta wait for #2 to see him do stuff like littering or jay walking or raping Bucky and making all those fanfics real

>THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU DEAD! is one bad. ass. line.
YMMV. Cringe/dated for me. Bad grammar, also?

All the angry thinkpieces have soundly rejected the "it's going to be undone" line by asserting that it's such a foul stain it will linger forever, which is an argument you can either take or leave, really, you can't finesse.

Ought to do the last one just to set the cat among these tweeting pigeons.

>Legion finally written by BENDIS

>steve broke jessica's condom
>steve blew up the bus
>steve is cable's father

>All the angry thinkpieces have soundly rejected the "it's going to be undone" line by asserting that it's such a foul stain it will linger forever
I can only assume these are the same people that still hate Hal for killing the corps or Wanda for no more muties

The old buy and burn. That'll really show'em.

twitter.com/brianbendis/status/482324064971669504

'dead' is an adjective

it's different because it's Nazis, somehow

>that argument
>in comic books
lol

That's funny. It's like they forgot about Carol's rape and kidnapping and rape-baby, as if Not Talking About It actually works.

yeah, since he was a kid. But i'm interested in seeing like how fascist is he gonna be, how much of a nazi. Is Spencer gonna shit on the good nazi

there was that marvel editor who was still mad at wanda

>it's different because it's Nazis, somehow

Mel Brooks had the right idea, in that if you really want to defeat Nazism for good, you make a complete laughingstock out of it.

1) These People's Heroes guys remind me of the Oktober Guard from Gi-Joe.

2) I get that people are upset about the Steve thing, but is the literal book burning necessary? Seriously?

Always relevant.

youtube.com/watch?v=kHmYIo7bcUw

Hitler on Ice!

so that's why he writes Zemo like that

>Pozhar was the Russian dude who became half of Firestorm, as I recall

I liked him when McDuffie brought him back in OYL Jasonstorm, but my 80s Firestorm knowledge is like, 2 Stern era issues I got from Sears comics boxes for Christmas.