Star Trek: Discovery, "because" apparenly

Anyone see this yet?
youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM
Why are they rebooting Star Trek Enterprise? Isn't there anyone there to explain why this is a shit idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/tech/elements/for-alt-right-trolls-star-trek-discovery-is-an-unsafe-space
youtube.com/watch?v=nVdH1GomPTk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

all the people with talent left to make better shows i guess

and really setting it so close to TOS makes it unable to really have much of a lasting impact. we know earth, the federation, vulcan, and other things will still be there and not be destroyed or devastated. there's also the fact that every race has to be in their "starting position" whenever they end the show, which will probably be really soon. it just sucks that it's yet another prequel and we already know how it turns out

yeah but, why couldn't they make a show "just after Voyager" and forget what SS Abrams fucking thinks?

because if they set it before kirk and co they can say they're "recapturing the wild west sci-fi feel of the old series" or some other bullshit. also they'd have to write around the tech advances that voyager brings back as well, but they could easily section 31 some advancements away until later or something.

plus, this way they don't have to introduce new things as well. they can use regular phasers and photon torpedoes, and not have to use any brainpower to think of something that sounds more powerful than a quantum torpedo and trans-phasic shielding or whatever BS they had.

>newyorker.com/tech/elements/for-alt-right-trolls-star-trek-discovery-is-an-unsafe-space
>“Where is the alpha male that has balls and doesn’t take crap from anyone?” one asked. “Is everything going to have to have females in every fucking thing?” another asked. A third person called Yeoh “a reject from a overseas customer-support line.” A fourth dubbed the show “Star Trek: Feminist Lesbian Edition.”
Remember, if you don't like Star Trek: Discovery, you're racist and sexist, goys.

This, I'm so tired of prequel shit. At the moment the only semi-decent post-VOY material is in the MMO.

Fuck prequels, fuck everything. The only way to breath life back into Star Trek is to go full BSG, pure reboot. Keep elements that work, and ditch shit that doesn't. Otherwise just fucking dump the whole franchise and actually make some original fucking scifi.

But the last "prequel", Enterprise, was a violently bland shit sandwich. It was unwatchable.

Why are they trying this again?

Remember, just some people giving their opinion is more proof that everyone must become an intersectional, multicultural feminist.

Well, TNG, VOY and DS9 all were connected and it would make sense to just "keep going".

They started to fuck up when they backtracked with Enterprise. Fine me a single fucking Enterprise "fan".

Because in the modern era, if at first you don't succeed, fuck you, it worked then and it will totally work again.

See, prequels are rarely good(Enterprise, Star Wars, Prometheus, etc.) The only good prequel was knights of the old republic.

Aren't they pitching more shitty Ghostbusters movies based on this "Our failures don't count and if you don't like it you're a racist misogynist" shtick?

Because the idiots whp wrote Endgame broke the setting by having an isolated Federation ship be able to incorporate future technology in about three days with no shipyard support. If Voyager could be made utterly invincible and able to 1-shot 28-cubic-kilometer Borg cubes in that little time the whole of Starfleet would be upgraded in a month and unless you're writing about the Feds conquering the galaxy it's hard to get out of that corner you painted yourself into.

so why fucking bother? One shitty prequel and they want to double down. I'm beside myself.

can that even really be considered a prequel, being thousands of years before
really that is the only way to make it work, so far back it has no ties to the originals

I disagree that it's a corner. There's a lot to work with there. The shit that Voyager was inevitably going to get into by being so fucking far away would have been brought back to the benefit of the Federation and that wouldn't have been the end of their problems anyway.

there was plenty of plot to work with. Don't act like he prequels are a good idea.

wtf? why can't star trek just have only white men and racemixing propaganda like TOS

Dang, this is just chcklist diversity. At least TOS characters weren't shoved down your throat, ugly, lesbian, etc.

I agree with there are no corners. This is sci-fi.

As has been mentioned in previous threads, the most important technological storyline in the whole Trek saga is the phasing cloak and its secretly contested development between all the great powers. You've got espionage, you've got diplomacy, you've got people thinking they're dead when they're really not, treaties being broken, all kinds of shit. Throw in some new mysterious alien stuff every now and then and of course plenty of time travel shit because you need that. Not just time travel shit but temporal protectorate kind of shit, Federation time ships protecting the timeline. That can't be the main thing, though. You gotta be anchored in a certain time and leave the time travel stuff for the mystery and wonder.

I'm unironically waiting for the click-bait article that claims something like "Why Star Trek: Discovery doesn't need science fiction fans".

tfw it probably doesn't. there are so many nerd XD types and women who will really watch poorly written hollow shows for the wrong reasons now

et al

You guys are overthinking this, they just don't want a show that you have to have seen 12 years of Trek shows to grasp, they want the massive normie audiences that JJTrek got, but somehow they're also banking on the Trek fans enough to put it on this paid streaming service to boost their subscriptions. They must just be totally out of touch.

lol, oh god why? I'm laughing and I feel dead inside.

What the fuck is driving entertainment these days? It's nihilistic, boring shit propped up by angry people whose marketing strategy is to shame others into watching it. It's just awful.

There's gonna be some jock chad meathead on the crew who bangs every alien babe and three-tittied cat-lady they run into, r-right guys?

>they just don't want a show that you have to have seen 12 years of Trek shows to grasp
lol, then why won't they just make a new fucking show? What's the point of making a "Star Trek" show if they don't care for the fans, know nothing about Star Trek, and don't give a shit about the plot.

What's with these lazy jews having to suck the life out of old ideas and not make any new ideas?

Brand recognition, basically. It's marketing, all the way down. They're gambling that through advertising and this subscription service that they can make their money back on anything they slap the label "Star Trek" on, which has mostly proven true so far.

So if Prometheus took place during the crusades or something, everyone would have loved it?

>Brand recognition, basically. It's marketing, all the way down.
But you can't base everything on "brand recognition". That's why Ghostbusters failed (not the only reason).

They need a good idea first. Not "branding".

Star Trek is bigger and a more time-tested brand than Ghostbusters, they don't care about other people's flops, just how Star Trek does.

And I agree with you and want a post-DS9 series (Voyager can fuck off), this is just how these subhumans think.

>Voyager can fuck off
Oh, you're a pleb. Opinion(s) discarded.

>He wants Starfleet to jump another 500 years with all the bullshit plot devices they acquired on that shitshow
Oh, you're a pleb. Opinion(s) discarded.

>Voyager can fuck off)
Voyager was creative and had adventure/discovery that was true to the spirit of TOS in general. They also knew which characters were annoying and made fun of it.
youtube.com/watch?v=nVdH1GomPTk

>Its a borg have some how made contact with federation space before TNG episode

O joy.