John K and Capecomics

>I think that Superhero comics were ruined when the artists and writers started taking them seriously in the 70s, the drawings got really serious too.

>When you try to hard to explain preposterous ideas, they lose their charm - and it's even worse when you try to make silly things socially conscious.

Is he right Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

johnkstuff.blogspot.mx/2009/07/wayne-borings-superman.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes and capeshit will be dead soon.

for comics you mean right? Capeshit in movies is here to stay for the next decade or so

somewhat

now that your question is out of the way the thread is likely to devolve to into a discussion about Katie Rice, how much his personal opinion angers other people, and how he can't make a deadline

Silly things can be socially conscious. Even some cape comics can; I'm a fan of Strong Female Protagonist and it handles this stuff really well.

But 99% of mainstream cape writers? John is completely right. It's not a failure of the medium, it's a failure of its creators.

Absolutely.

But in many respects the industry was just adapting to the fact that their audience was growing older & kids stopped reading comics. Like how the industry today is adapting to an audience that reacts to outrage and purposely kicking up controversies to move issues.

I don't think so. The capeshit genre going to fucking implode on itself. There's gonna be a day when people are just going to be sick of the super hero craze. And all of us are going to suffer for it because it just won't be profitable anymore. Best we could hope for in a situation like that are parodies that piss on the genre.

70s-80s cape comics were some of the best, so no.

Superman, at the height of his campiness in the Silver Age, took on the KKK. So the idea that you have to be serious in order to take on serious issues is kind of dumb.

>john K reasonably explaining his point and not bitching like an autist when he doesn't like something
where is the source

Here's the whole post if anyone is curious.

johnkstuff.blogspot.mx/2009/07/wayne-borings-superman.html

>There's gonna be a day when people are just going to be sick of the super hero craze

lmao yeah dude definitely! It's not like people have been saying this for the last 3+ years yet everything points to otherwise. Face it unless Marvel has a ton of blunders in a row people will still see their movies. Capeshit has survived X3, Origins, 3 F4s, Iron Man 2, TDKR, MoS, BvS, Thor 1+2, etc. It will survive for the time being. Let's talk again post Infinity Wars and whatever the fuck DC puts together

What's adorbale is you've been singing this number since 2011.
It's gonna burst, it's gonna burst!
Any day now. Soon. Now. Wait, not now. Next year too many mov--okay two years--No, definitely, definitely this.

Roughly 1280 days of being wrong.
I don't think there's a single person on the plane who has fucked up that much that long and not received a Darwin Award yet.

So let's just put it on automatic now, I'll agree to pretend you say this every day so you don't need to and you can meet me in 2021 and tell me how the progress goes. I mean, surely after 10 years, right.
Right?

Capes actually had pretty great art in the 70s and 80s until Todd McFarlane ushered in the era of hyperstylized garbage

>le dead capeshit maymay

It survived world war 2.
The CCA.
The end of the silver age.
Watchmen and the Dark Knight Returns.
Le edgy Liefeld age of everyone aping Mortal Kombat, Doom and cyberpunk.
The cover bubble crash in the 90s.
Bendis wrecking the Avengers.
Morrison's insane mindfuckery in Final Crisis.
Ultimate Marvel and the reboots.
The New 52 and the Heroic Age/NOW.

It's certainly going to survive.
Spider-Man, Batman, Superman and their ilk will outlive us, our children and our grandchildren.
At some point the superhero movie bubble will crash and comics will return to be an isolated medium.
Printed comic books? Those are going to die by 2025, though.

Superhero comics have not been profitable in years. Adaptations and corporate subsidization are the only things keeping Marvel and DC in business.

I love john k i lick hia snus

Kricfalusi is always right

And his name is not hard to pronounce. It's CREEK-FALOOSI
like KRIC-FALUSI

John K will never be right.

Your mother was always right

Except when she had sex with me to make you

Who is this guy anyway?

he da guy dat made dat show about athlete's feet

He's completely wrong.

I've got nothing against John K, but seriously, who gives enough of a shit about him to include his opinions in articles or whatever this is

>craze
how old are you, cape is basically the traditional story telling template in the USA, not leaving anymore sooner than burgers and bold eagles.

how will i ever recover from such a savage burn

>people I don't care about should be silenced
wew lad.

by fucking off to Sup Forums

Seriously, Kricfalusi is all of you guys. All you contrarian hipster manchildren talking about how much you hate popular stuff and everything sucks except your shit

So it would be prudent for you guys to worship this asshole as a God

You fucking smelly cunts

make me

>I don't read comics because I consider them childish but here are my opinions about them

I guess he is an expert about childish things tho

I don't make monkeys I train them

rude

He's not wrong.

Marvel's ideas of a grander, more unified understanding of the cosmos that we're all haplessly "nestled in the bossom" of is what made me fall in love with their Bronze Age Cosmic titles

He's not entirely wrong, but this is another example of his hatred for anything that isn't wacky, model-sheet-less John K Style, so opinion discarded.

comics were often hella serious in the golden age

(not true, by the way)

John K is one of those "artists are better than writers and don't need them" persons like Todd McFarlane, Erik Larsen, and Rob Liefeld.