Hey laurie, did I ever tell you about that time I killed a guy dressed like nite owl in a computer space chair?

>hey laurie, did I ever tell you about that time I killed a guy dressed like nite owl in a computer space chair?

No because that happened after the events of Watchmen

have you actually read watchmen?

Don't need to, Sup Forums told me it's a bad, edgy comic and that Alan Moore should kiss Geoff John's feet for thinking his trash was worth being part of the beautiful Rebirth /sarcasm

to be fair, you could argue that there was some sort of tachyon manipulation going on

tachyons arent real

Just like comic books

Neither is Dr Manhattan

neither is your sex life

leaked preview of the next watchmen edition

A question for people who use the word "graphic novel" a lot.

Do you use it because there is a clear distinct difference between a comic and a graphic novel or is it just because you want to sound more like a sophisticated wanker?

Detective Comics was a mistake.

Was there any need for him to kill Metron too? I mean, Owlman, sure, he was asking the questions, but he should've killed Owl and destroyed the chair.

But Metron probably already knows, so that raises the question of how did Doc Manhattan know that Metron hadn't told everybody?

the last issue of Darkseid War was the continuation, with Rebirth taking place after that

I don't use graphic novel at all (I prefer comic/comic book), but if I did I'd use it correctly rather than to inflate my ego.

99% of the time graphic novel is a term used by people that have no idea what a TPB is.

Graphic novel implies some similarities to a standard novel, such as a lack of ads, a better odin tinting process, and a definitive end as opposed to an ongoing. It's mostly a subject matter thing. You get trade paperbacks filled with standard ongoings, which are a step up from weekly comics, but a tier below Graphic Novels.

it's possible the chair is something he can't actually destroy.

they've said Manhattan won't be stopped just by someone going ultra giga super saiyan x100 and punching him, so presumably Manhattan his limits the heroes have to discover and exploit, while in the meantime Manhattan is trying to kill anyone that discovers said limits

See I asked that question because in my country we don't really have paper back comics in any significant quantity, we've always gotten comics in either volumes or book.

So whenever someone walks into the store and I ask them what type of comics they're looking for and they respond with 'Oh I only read Graphic Novels', I have to remind myself not to get annoyed and that they grew up in a place where marketer decided how they're going to sell their comic.

I like to ask them if they call movies motion pictures instead.

My mom asked me about that the other day:
>"Just what is a Graphic Novel?"

I filled her in on the history, particularly the fact that it's effectively a pretentious term for comic books coined by people too full of themselves to admit to what they were publishing. She found it funny.

For me Graphic Novel implies not collected floppies, smaller than dina4. And more of a book like story or concept creation. Last both things are very vague and interpretable.

Here in germany we originally have bigger formats and longer stories. The comic floppies are a rather new thing or got a revival since 50 years.
Graphic novel is likely used to show its more mature or book like by companys.

I think mostly "size"-namings that there are in germany
Magazines, Albums, TB (Taschenbuch = Pocket book), Hefte = Floppies, Sammelbände = Tradepaperbacks and Graphic Novels. Some use Manga as a format but is equally used as TB

I only use this term to talk about those books with hard cover that have all the comic issues together.

Pic related.

surely thats just a collected edition? imo a graphic novel is when it was never ever released as floppies and just came out as a hardcover.

Why would dr Manhattan take 10 years from a brand new universe (new 52)? Or is new 52 the events of Flashpoint + 10 years?

Different timeline/universe so Watchmen Manhattan wouldn't know what Earth-0 Manhattan knows.

Earth 0 Manhattan is Captain Atom, re-read DC Rebirth, the manhattan in it is clearly from outside of the new 52 multiverse

I understand that. I'm just using Earth-0 as shorthand to differentiate it from the Watchmen universe.

there is no differentiation, it is very very likely that he is the same manhattan

Taking 10 years from the DC universe is why the New52 is different from the Pre-Flashpoint world.

Maybe the missing ten years is a cluster of smaller events or happenstances that gave the pre-Flashpoint universe it's positivity.

>Jonathan and Martha Kent
>Green Arrow and Black Canary falling in love.
>Martian Manhunter in the Justice League.
>every little good seemingly insignificant detail you can think of.

Dr. Manhattan took the DCU's hope, or tried to, to see what would happen. The fundamental principles of the DCU are still present in it's characters in some form and cannot be destroyed.

Good ideas cannot be destroyed.

I feel like more could be said, but I can't think of the words. It's all too meta.

10 years is what he needs to channel into his own creation. Since we dont know how powerfull he really is, at least he seems to be a energy transformer.
So he cant create so much energy to create his own universe, earth.
So he took it from the new52, bout 10 years he now can invest in his project.

Was hypercrisis real?

>hey laurie, did i ever tell you about the time i stole 10 years of supermans life

Yeah I use it to describe comics that are released as a single completed story, not part of a sequentially-released series.

So Watchmen wouldn't count.

He isn't.

Despite having god-tier reality warping powers, New 52 Nathaniel Adams is still a distinct character. The main difference is where Manhattan was originally a scientist, Earth-0 Captain Atom was still a soldier, so he struggles with figuring out his powers with that sort of Everyman angle, and still has conflict with Eiling as an authority figure in directing their use.

Earth-4 Captain Atom as seen in Multiversity and Superman Beyond 3D, is very much a Manhattan analogue.

>Good ideas cannot be destroyed

In fact as we've seen, in response to those elements being removed, the DCU tries to replicate them or use other characters and events in their place to make up their absence.