Science fiction shows

Should I start with Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica or Terranova?

Other urls found in this thread:

gateworld.net/news/2009/05/stargate-recommended-viewing-order/
youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-kOJQBQVw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Star Trek
Star Trek: TNG is the only answer here, every other show you named is pure trash. Fair warning though, TNG doesn't really get good till season 3.

3 seasons until a show gets good? isnt that a bit extreme?

Stargate. From what I remember terra nova was pretty shitty. Never bothered with star trek because too many episodes reboots and movies what ever.

Stargate was pretty good once it got past the first season.

It depends what you're looking for.

Star Trek is a huge universe filled with varied stories, all the shows are focused on different themes and characters and it'll take you months to get through it, but you'll like most of it, follow the guide on where to start.

Battlestar Galactica (the reboot) is a fairly short military sci-fi show and probably my favourite of the list. It's got a lot of religious elements which some people didn't like though, but all the characters are very human and flawed in a way that you don't normally see.

Terra Nova was massively disappointing and didn't start to look good until they were in danger of being cancelled, but it was too little too late.

And I've not seen Stargate.

definitely Stargate, and you wanna follow this order

gateworld.net/news/2009/05/stargate-recommended-viewing-order/

Farscape&Lexx

>It's the might robots of Battlestar Galactica versus the gay robots from Star Wars
Man, I miss the good old days

Babylon 5

It's worth it. I mean it's not like seasons 1 and 2 are bad, they're just not as good as 3, that's when they really figured the show out. General rule of thumb, once Commander Riker gets his beard you know you're in for some good shit, but the show will grab you by the pilot. Also, there was a huge writers strike that coincided with season 2, so that's a big part of why it was so shitty in parts, but trust me user, it is worth it, the best scifi tv show ever made.

what about doctor normie and firefly?

Farscape.

Along with TNG and Firefly I'd say these are your safest bets OP.

That new show, The Expanse. That's pretty good.

Doctor Who was great when it came out and we were 13 but it definitely doesn't hold up, it's a children's show. And from what I've heard now it's standard BBC propaganda.

You were born in 1950???

I was referring to the reboot, as I assume was the post I was responding to as normies will not enjoy 60s black and white sci-fi shows on a shoestring budget.

well I could use my netflix account for that, because I suspect licensing bullshit is responsible for the science fiction selection to be so lacking in my region

well its been running for quite a while, some of the seasons pre 2005 have to be good, right?

>Firefly

Terra Nova, it's short so you can get it over and done with quickly. You can tell they intended for it to last more than one season though.

Firefly a shit. Whedon copied the Canadian show Starhunter.

youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-kOJQBQVw

Whedon's a fucking hack.

>well its been running for quite a while, some of the seasons pre 2005 have to be good, right?
It's very hit and miss, and mostly miss. Douglas Adams wrote a few episodes with Tom Baker which were enjoyable, but even the supposed best story arcs like Trial Of A Time Lord are mostly just framing devices for monster-of-the-week nonsense. Like says, it's camp, a lot camper than Star Trek TOS. If that's your thing, by all means try it.

The only good Who is Peter Cushing's movies. They're unrelated to the 'canon' Who series, but they're awesome.

Don't listen to this retard. Star Trek is the place to start, but start with the original series. That'll make the transition into TNG a lot easier. DS9 is probably the theme at its ultimate best. He is right about most Trek series starting slow though (aside from TOS, which has a great first season).

Stargate is also good. Battlestar Galactica is not bad either.

>tfw Starhunter had to retool their show for their belated season 2 because Whedon threatened to sue them for having a show too similar to his
>Starhunter season 1 came out 2 fucking years before Firefly

Whedon's not just a hack, he's a dick.

>you need to watch all 70 episodes of TOS in order to watch TNG
TNG is definitely a self-contained masterpiece. TOS is amazing, but TNG has all around better writing and more robust characters. Admittedly I've never watched DS9 so I can't speak on that, but I've mostly heard good things, it just doesn't sound like something that would interest me, "if Star Trek was the Wire", "gritty Star Trek", personally I enjoy the utopian aspects of Star Trek's world and the idea of injecting edgy nonsense into that seems retarded to me. But either way I think OP would do well to watch any of these three shows, depending on their individual taste.

how do you get away with that shit holy fuck

>"if Star Trek was the Wire", "gritty Star Trek"
That's a massive hyperbole, they're still Utopian Beings, they're just trying to bring their Federation Ideals to a new potential member that's recently been ravaged by the Cardassians and it's an uphill struggle, and they don't compromise on those ideals any more often than Picard or Kirk did when faced with an overwhelming enemy. Have you watched the movies? Those are all "edgier" than DS9, barring save the whales.

Is Starhunter any good? Is it worth watching?

I watched the original series and then enterprise

i fucked up but

stargate is great

>ave you watched the movies? Those are all "edgier" than DS9, barring save the whales.
I hate the TNG movies. I fucking love the TOS movies though. All of them, even the odd numbered ones, obviously not as good as the even numbered ones, but still charming in their own way. I'll get around to watching DS( one of these days, I'm just weary of the idea of makinf Star Trek about political intrigue and seedy underbellies.

not real sci-fi

wdhmbt?

Enlighten us.

>standard BBC propaganda.
This is what turned me off to it

how long until the doctor becomes a black woman

so if i watch generation-nemesiss i wont be able to watch first contact?

The dash means "to", as in watch all the TNG movies of which First Contact is the second

>no Star Trek Generations

watch Doctor Who up to season 15, but skip most of the first three seasons. then watch atleast seasons 1 and 4-9 of the revived series

if you really liked what you saw, go back and watch the rest

Read it again

>Star Trek OS episode 6

>as soon as the episode starts Sulu is holding a dog with an alien costume on it

Now I fully understand the extent of the camp factor in this show

I think I can grow to love this

no, is disgusting to equal to Generations to Nemesis, one got the feel while the other doesn't, not good

Babylon 5, great plot
Battlestar Galactica, good plot
Crusade, nice plot with cool ideas
Farscape, great adventures
Lexx, excellent WTF series only people with certain taste will like
Space: Above and Beyond, great plot but ended in season 1
Dark Angel, a great plot mixed with excellent sets, no wonder this was the most expensive series of its time
Defiance, all about the plot and very good
Dune, the best mini series imho which has it all and if you don't plan on reading the books at least watch this
Outcasts, canceled when it was about to be good, nice plot and nice setting though
Taken, all about the plot is a great series of events going over generations
Terra Nova, nice theme, shame it was canceled too soon
The 4400, thriller mixed with cool sci fi, is like a well done Heroes
The Expanse, excellent plot to my opinion, hopefully they won't get wrong on the second season
V (the new version), cliffhanger which never ended at the last episode but worth to watch for the thriller
Humans, great plot, there is no second season, at least not one worth your time

I won't say much about Stargate and Star Trek beside recommending Star Trek TNG and Stargate Universe. Also this list has some unfinished series but whenever they are here is for a good reason.

TL;DR start with a mini series

Is Dune really worth watching? that setting strikes me as really difficult to pull off

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

It's pretty GOAT

Terra Nova had poor writing, and dodgy special effects. The episode where they are fishing for prehistoric fish looks like it was done by a teen on a Commodore. A time-traveling show with dinosaurs that doesn't have dinosaurs in most episodes? I imagine that $3 million per episode went straight to Steven Spielberg.

Is well worth it. I can clearly think of something taking you out of setting, but sometimes you have to refuse to watch garbage tv when you are imbuing yourself of the good stuff.

Star Trek is the only good one.

>Terranova
Fuck that show. Probably the worst lead characters ever in a show. Makes me wonder where all the money went because the dinosaur effects were sporadic and shit tier. There was better CG on Flash including that Gorilla City abomination.

I'd go with:

Stargate and its spinoffs > Battlestar Galactica to season 3 > Star Trek TNG > TOS > DS9 > the rest of BSG > Voyager or Enterprise

I second this

okay we get it, you didn't like it, stop repeating

star trek is very much real scifi, even if you don't like it. it's not "hard" scifi, but it's certainly not just a simple space adventure show.

Anybody seen season 2? Is it too much different from season 1? is is shit?

>It has to be as visceral as The Foundation Trilogy to be considered real sci-fi.

Stargate sg1 within a week, and nothing else.

It's good, definitely watch it if you enjoyed S1.

Gods are actually aliens, Everything always works out for the team because HUMANITY FUCK YEAH! Humans can go tow to toe with them
Universe>SG-1

Oh thanks cthulhu

Literally nobody likes Trial of a Time Lord.
and Douglas Adams's period is one of the show's low points too (apart from City of Death)

>skip most of the first three seasons
what is wrong with the best Doctor?

This is a fucking abysmal guide to Trek for newbies.

The correct order is:
- Watch the best episodes of ToS, skip season 3. If they love it then just watch all of it, otherwise just watch the most iconic and genre defining episodes.

- Watch Star Trek II, III, IV, VI

- Watch select few episodes of TNG S1, then watch S2-S5

- For the true Trek experience watch TNG S5-7 at the same time as DS9 1-2.

- Watch DS9 3-7 while watching VOY 1-4 (Voy is pretty bad, feel free to drop it) then VOY 5-7. Watch Generations before starting DS9 S3. Watch First Contact after DS9.

- Watch Nemesis

- Watch ENT. It's underrated and better than people give it credit for. Season 4 is great. Don't watch the last episode.

Don't watch Into Darkness.

Watch Discovery and avoid Sup Forums for all the negative shitposting.

9/10 shitpost, this was the only thing that gave you away:

>Watch Discovery and avoid Sup Forums for all the negative shitposting.

Stargate SG1 or Battlestar Galactica:

>Stargate SG1
- Likable characters
- Doesn't take itself too seriously
- Lots of self-contained episodes, meaning you can skip bad ones without losing track of the story
- Lots of exploration of other planets
- Some episodes are pretty skippable, especially in the last few seasons

>Battlestar Galactica
- Great dramatic moments
- Darker tone than SG1
- Mysterious subplots that develop over several seasons
- Strong overarching storyline/sense of purpose (finding home)
- Action is kind of dull, especially space battles

Be warned: both shows kind of go to shit at the very end. Otherwise, they're pretty solid.

Kino

so far into second episode, sexy