Ultimate Marvel Storytime

Ultimate Marvel Storytime

>What's being storytimed?

Ultimate Marvel, later known as Ultimate Comics, was an imprint of comic books published by Marvel Comics, featuring re-imagined and updated versions of the company's superhero characters from the Ultimate Universe. The imprint was launched in 2000 with the publication of the series Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men, providing new original stories for the characters. The Marvel Multiverse, which comprises an infinite number of galaxies and alternate universes, calls this universe Earth-1610.

>Why are you doing this?

Because there's a lot of good stuff that people ignored that deserves recognition and even the bad stuff can be fun.

>Why this order?

I originally planned on doing USM to Death of Spider-Man, but I want to do the rest now. I've separated things into groups for convenience.

>Where can I catch up?

Right here pastebin.com/NfBDHt1X

Ultimate Fantastic Four

Morning everybody, how is everyone?

The second UFF/UXM crossover is probably the best ending that UFF got

The annuals?

The one right before Ultimatum, you remember that one?

Yeah, those were the annuals. Where Franklin has the Phoenix Force and Reed is Annihilus. I loved that.

I really like this one too.

It was a great ending.
Had enough ambiguity that it made it seem like Ult. Reed could eventually take the positives of that Universe and try to bypass the negatives.

I'm also pretty certain that it also heavily influenced Fialkov's UFF.

I always loved how tight the continuity was in this universe. Even Ultimatee Doomsday made Reed's fall make sense by following his obsession under the influence of Thanos and all the flashbacks we see. I know the fake out with his death was incredibly cheap, but it took me by surprise and the reason he turns is explained. Just like hoe Peter coming back to life is explained.

It had to have, but also so did I. Years ago I wrote on CBR I wrote about Sue and Johnny's mom actually being the Dr. Doom that died in Ultimatum going so far to say that the real Doom would escape the zombieverse unharmed. Like two/three years later Fialkov is writing just that and was an active member on the forums for quite some time. I may be reaching with that, but damn it it must be true!

I like Fialkov's explanation for Ultimate Doomsday.
Ultimate Doomsday Trilogy as a whole...I found awful.
But as a foundation for Fialkov it got me really excited.

And cool.
With the second crossover, it has all the same hallmarks that Fialkov was setting up. Reed as a recluse, Susan being kinda evil, and the importance of Franklin

>Ultimate Doomsday Trilogy as a whole...I found awful.
It's been years since I've read Doomsday, but I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed. My taste in comics has changed a lot since then. Hell, I used to hate all of Millar's Ultimate stuff, but rereading it here I realize that it has a lot of great ideas. He needs someone else to write the dialogue so everyone isn't an asshat.

>the importance of Franklin
I don't think I've ever been more horrified than when Sue went to collect Reed's sperm. God Marvel fucked this universe good in the end.

Fialkov was seeding for a long game, I'm pretty sure that issue was written cause it was cancelled by then haha.

I've never been more disappointed when it turned out to not be Franklin
Damn, his Ultimates was all "All Hope Lies In Reed" and then nada.

That was really disappointing. The last issue of Ultimate FF was his entire run squeezed into one issue written by someone else. What I don't get is that Fialkov and Hickman were telling stories about incursions and Marvel didn't tall either of them about the other. Secret Wars could have a much better buildup, but instead they cancel UFF and Fialkov said fuck you to Marvel.

Yeah, and it was getting pretty entertaining with the inclusion of Ult. Spider-Ham and Rick Jones.
They never gave it a real chance...putting a chicken scratch artist who was worse than Land on it.

And with regards to the Ult. Doomsday Trilogy...I felt that where it went with Reed was stuff that had been gone over to death before that.
His reactions made no sense with the pragmatic person he had become by then.

He'd have just left for another universe, like he always wanted

I think the second artist was better, the one that also worked on Avengers AI, but that first one was garbage. It was sucha high conecpt book and needed someone that could convey that. I'm not sure who would have been a good fit though.

>He'd have just left for another universe, like he always wanted

His love for Sue kept him here. I know people rip on Humphries, but, as I've said before, that "I love you" line is the old Reed coming back to the surface and is why he didn't leave. He didn't want another universe, he wanted Susan. In his sick twisted head it was all for her. He's egotistical, self-centered, and flew off the handle incredibly easily. That's why when the Ultimatum wave hit he immediately went after Namor instead of staying with Sue. He wanted revenge for Namor hurting his love and was too blind by rage and hate to think rationally. Had he stayed with Sue things probably would have worked out for him.

He was a Reed Richards, but he lost his Susan and the light went out. Fialkov even continued on that with the way he talks to Sue, in his mind it seems to him that there's a chance for them to get back together and then Sue neuters him

i think you might be remembering the final issues of Fialkov's UFF wrong.
He talked Sue out of that shit and got her to take a saved sample of Ben's instead

And I can understand that his love for Sue kept him there.
But that's WHY Fialkov's retcon in his Ultimates run works.
Because it's all of the other stuff he does in UDT that are just...pure nonsense.

Yeah I was, I just grabbed my copy and flipped through it. I didn't even remember it being a girl. Talking about all this has me really hyped for Fialkov's run though.

If there's one thing Fialkov understood about Ult. Reed was that he could be seem like a cold motherfucker.
When given two options he will chose the one that keeps the most safe.
Like in the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy.

That's why Fialkov was able to make UDT into something worthwhile. Bendis went too far into "Reed was a school shooter/always crazy" and that's what irks.

I'm having trouble posting the next page. It keeps saying there is a malicious code. I tried opening it in paint and adding a dot, but that's not working this time. Any ideas?

I've only read Ultimate Galactus once so I'm not really sure what you're referring to.
>spoiler
I can agree to that. That was the problem I had with the movie Chronicle I really don't understand the love for that film

resize it.
Works 100% of the time

And I'm talking about the Ultimate Ultimate Nullifier and how he got it to work.
And agreed about Chronicle.

I made a copy of the file, see if that works.

The copy didn't work, but re-sizing did. Thanks.

I don't even remember there being an Ultimate Nullifier. I just remember the scene with the bunker that Civil War used and Surfer arriving in the city, and a couple of other small parts. I'm looking forward to reading again because I know it's incredible and remember loving it, just not why.

>And agreed about Chronicle.
Yay! I'm not alone! Everyone I talk to loves that movie to death.

Oh the Ult. Ultimate Nullifier is awesome.
The UFF are great in that trilogy and Ellis did it pretty good even if it drags a bit here and there.

And yeah, I mean the having fun stuff in Chronicle is fun, but then it just gets trite and cliche.
Like UDT, but we'll see when we get to that.

Can't wait! On a slightly related note, you ever see the 1994 F4 film by Roger Corman?

I never have, no.
I've always thought about tracking it down though.

I can upload it to Mega for you if you want. It's definitely the most faithful adaptation we've gotten. I bought a bootleg of it at a con years ago.

Nah, I wouldn't want to put you out. I'll try to catch it in the next few days for sure.

And also, love the start of Carey's run.
Mixing Thanos and the Fourth World was...a neat choice.

Carey's run is underrated. I love the Silver Searcher arc.

Norrin is such a nice character in this,

Carey's run did have some pitfalls though.
Reed and Sue breaking up twice in 3 arcs? Come on.