I know you guys disagree on a lot of things...

I know you guys disagree on a lot of things, but can we at least come together and agree that Suyin was the worst-written character in all of Avatar?

She was written fine as an unrepentant hypocritical total cunt. The only bad writing was trying to paint her as anything but that to us the viewers.

>I got over scarring you for life and ruining mom's career. Why can't you? You should apologize to me.
>My daughter in law has come to bring us back into the fold of the country? Better break the truce and try to assassinate her in the middle of the night.
>YOU'LL PAY FOR WHAT YOU'VE DONE

I think she's just too complex of a character for you guys.

That's a funny way of writing "Mako".

How?
She wasn't particularly complex. Conflicted, sure.

She could have been one of the best villains of the series, to be honest.

if only she was a bit nicer too her surrogate daughter...

>Anime fans will never pick up on that the show was a lampooning satire.

Though it becomes a lot better when that is brought to mind.

kuvira just wanted a mom.

basically this, I thought she would have made a fantastic part 4 villain.

Yeah, that's the weird part. She came across as unprecedentedly evil, yet Bryke seemed convinced that they were writing a heroic character.

I mean it would have been easier to sympathize with her if she had actually been a villain.

she was just another servant to suyin.

Stupid sexy Kuvira

Kuvira had a hard childhood and in her search for a motherfigure developed a milf fetish.

She's an abrasive passive-aggressive ruthless realist but fundamentally good person paired off against Kuvira who was a delusional, ambitious, treacherous, lying, petty, mass murderer who took Suyin's teachings and used them without wisdom to start a futile war with no clear goal in a manner that was sure to see to her own destruction anyways

Suyin wasn't conflicted, not the most likable person, but she had her own character development with her reconciling with her sister.

>S4 didn't have a plot twist where Baatar Jr. was manipulating/corrupting Kuvira and her forces from the inside, with Suyin pulling the strings
Nah, better to have Su rewarded for being evil and for Kuvira to become Hitler for basically no reason.

She had a massive inferiority complex and she compensated for that by trying to take over the continent or see it destroyed trying.

>she had her own character development
She had zero development. She was the same cunt from beginning to end, especially so when Lin apologized for her face being in the way of Suyin's whip.

No it was just that when it came down to it Suyin saw their world as separate from the Earth Kingdom.

Kuvira coming from the outside even if somewhat adopted into the family felt some kinship to the earth kingdom and thought it was their duty to help.

That was where ideologies clashed and the family fractured both feeling hurt by the other hence the later reactions.

They also threw in "she has concentration camps for water and fire benders" and never addressed it again.

Mako was literally Wesley Crusher

I wonder if his VA hates him as much as Wil Wheaton hates Wesley.

I guess the coming to blows followed up by them tag-teaming sabotaging the mech and fighting for each other's lives doesn't count for anything, then. Nor Suyin changing her mind about her daughter leaving home to become an airbender.

It's pretty clear she scapegoated outsiders for all the troubles the Earth Kingdom had.

I dunno, Korra was pretty fucking shitty in season 2. Character progression wiped and repeated, fucking amnesia, shitty love triangle dram, assaults a duly elected official but ends up being right because how could an Avatar ever really be wrong, falling for Emperor Palpatine's tricks (although calling them that is giving him too much credit).

Wesley Crusher could've been turned into a decent enough character, but Gene Roddenberry created him as an idealized version of himself. Mind you, he was high as a kite during TNG.

Mako was a super genius getting special treatment because of who he was related to and in order to make him useful to plot everyone else around him he has to get dumber to make him look smarter and he generally doesn't make mistakes?

Cause that was Wesley up until they tried to fix his character in First Flight by making him act his age.

I think she was well written for such an awful, spoiled person. It's what made her so infuriating to me.

They fought, and her sister showed character development. She never felt what she did to her sister was that big a deal. All of the development was on Lin's end.

Wasn't it implied Sokka was her father? Her and Bei Fong were half sisters.

Grudges are two-sided ordeals and they both had hard feelings and they both dropped them and bonded. That's character development on both ends.

Palpatine was entertaining, but his plans were just as retarded. Although it helped that Sheev wasn't trying to be seen as misguided by the narrative like they had the anti-Christ (Unalaq).

Suyin never had a grudge. She never even had a reason to be angry at Lin. Her reconciliation was basically "Sorry I ruined your life, just drop it k thx"

That's up for Kuvira to do in the comics maybe. Though subduing a continent , conquering a city state and laying siege to a capital is a big bigger than the sisters divide.

>it's not bad, it's deep

Asami was more, considering that she was suppused to be SUPER important, but barely has a personalitty.

That's a funny way of spelling Wu.

Plenty people seem to actually like her low key personality and that all her story ran Parallel for the most part to whatever Korra was doing.

Her development didn't involve her begging for Lin's forgiveness and then turning herself in for a crime she committed over thirty years ago so it obviously doesn't count.

wasnt asami one of the bad guys in the original draft?
i think i read that somehwhere.

>and that all her story
What story? She didn't have a story. That's what makes her such a bad character.

Eh kinda. She'd come around but would have stuck to being a sleeper agent for a bit longer I believe.

Again before the episode production number cut.

Pretty sure Bryan admitted they changed Asami because they liked her so much. Which is weird considering they did absolutely nothing interesting with her afterward.

i would say sue was excellently written as a hatable cunt
the only problem being she never gets her comeuppance

Well they had a direction they wanted to go. But weren't that sure about Nicks response.

Which hey wouldn't have allowed anyway had the show not gotten into the situation that it did.

Such a conundrum.

user, they never had a direction planned with Asami besides pretty sad love interest. That's the joke. She's just Bryan's waifu.

>Well they had a direction they wanted to go.
I'm still convinced this is a load of bullshit. They had no idea what they wanted to do with Asami.

>the only problem being she never gets her comeuppance
There'd be no point. It's been over thirty years. Even Lin knew. The best that could happen is an apology and reconciliation between the two of them, which is what happened.

Libertarians can't be the bad guys. They are the good guys without exception.

a solid punch in the face or finding out her dad was a black guy would have sufficed

>plenty of people

The only people who I saw that like her, are on it just for fanservice - which to be honest she isn't very good either - Or like with tumblr, where they project AN ENTIRE DIFFERENT PERSONALITTY into a featurless character.

Yeah that's pretty much how the black and white binary thinking fans see it. If Suyin doesn't apologize for an accident she made when she was a teenager then clearly she doesn't care about her sister even after she saved Lin's life a couple of times.

Suyin did literally nothing wrong. Kuvira was a psychopathic warmonger and Lin was a miserable old shrew.

Because they abandoned the equalist spy route but never came up with anything else for her, she's a hollow shell and is only brought along with the crew because "she's a friend"

Asami was boring, but there tends to be boring people in any circle of friends, so she never struck me as being too out of place. her supposedly being a big engineer/martial artist/titan of industry was a lot harder to accept than her being the token boring friend

I don't get this meme. Toph's kids turned out to be buttholes in their own way. Wow how shocking.