Why are Slice of Life cartoons so fucking bad most of the time?

Why are Slice of Life cartoons so fucking bad most of the time?

Other urls found in this thread:

desustorage.org/mlp/thread/27175131/#27175142
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>he's a Faustfag
F...FUCK OFF!

>He doesn't like wander over yonder

lol fucking fag

Because most American animators came from cities and not villages unlike Japanese mangakas.

The only decent SOL cartoon is Gravity Falls because Alex Hirsch spend his childhood in bumfuck Oregon.

In Japan, mangakas like Chihiro Ishizuka (Flying Witch), Masume Yomimoto (Kumamiko) and Atto (Non Non Biyori) came from the rural countryside whereas many CalArts graduates are rich kids from inner cities.

And besides, adoption of manga in rural Japan is widespread unlike in rural America where cartoons are considered "the work of the devil".

Slice of life manga are garbage though.

Reddit is that way ----->

Even Taniguchi's?

No, this is where it came from
desustorage.org/mlp/thread/27175131/#27175142

Okay?

I don't see your point, Lauren Faust has made plenty of Sup Forums related shit, she can be posted on Sup Forums just fine.

Because it's all the same thing.

Are you seriously going through the archives of a shitty pony board just so you can screech at people who post a woman who makes cartoons?

Are you legitimately autistic?

Only a degenerate would want to post that though, given its origin on the containment board.

The fact Barney fag browses /mlp/ further proves my theory he actually enjoys /mlp/ and is trying his best to convince the mods not to close the board after the show ends

Jesus fuck user are you really so buthurt after 5 years you get triggered over a picture of somebody who doesent even work on the show anymore.

One thing I don't understand about the picture in question is what the fuck people mean when they say she's dabing the fuck does that even mean

And only someone who browsed the containment board [A.K.A a degenerate] would know it came from there in the first place.

I'm not gonna lie, this got boring after awhile. The only thing that kept me going was the lead and the fish girl who shows up every 15 chapters to shyly watch little kids.

>The only decent SOL cartoon is Gravity Falls
King of the Hill is one of the better SOLs across all mediums. South Park occasionally dabbles in being SOLish too and it has its moments

>not liking incestuous lesbian gynoid cousins the manga

It's Cam Newton's touchdown celebration.

King of the Hill, Hey Arnold, and Arthur are the best slice of life cartoons. Large casts of characters, good mix of comedy and seriousness, relatable, and within a certain realm of realism.

Ah I see thanks

>The only decent SOL cartoon is Gravity Falls
gravity falls isn't a slice of life cartoon. they literally fight monsters and stuff every episode.

Home Movies is probably my favorite SOL.
The first half of every Regular Show episode is pretty good SOL. It reminds me the most of my own life (before it gets supernatural and stops falling within the SOL genre).
As a kid, I usually identified with Doug (more cartoon SOL).
Lots of high school based cartoons seem to be SOL (Daria, As Told by Ginger, 6teen, etc).
The Simpsons occasionally did good SOL too.
Hey Arnold and Recess probably count as good SOL; although they have some very eccentric characters, and the bizarre social dynamics of Recess may disqualify it, I don't know.
And then there are probably a bunch of Western SOL that are for younger age views like Arthur or shows that I'm too old to have seen.

>King of the Hill is one of the better SOLs
agree.

I think the issue is that 'slice of life' is far too broad a definition.

The equine show's definition was 'an episode that doesn't feature the main characters', so of course everyone on that side's going to use that as their definition untli the heat death of the universe. It was a bad episode, anyway.

I still prefer the idea that a SOL show is relatable to its intended audience, without leaning on off-the-wall crazy or unrealistic interesting? shit happening. King of the Hill is a good example, as - like better Simpsons episodes - it simultaneously makes fun of their relatable subjects while celebrating them.

Nah

A little dab will do ya

Slice of life is good when it actually pertains to a life the creator knows (Hey Arnold, Clarence, King of the Hill, or Daria) and isn't just the artist making fan fics of what they THINK Japan is based on their animes (Bee & Puppycat, Steven Universe).

Gravity Falls is not SoL. There are adventures, fights, life lessons. SoL is all about atmosphere. The small things.

If say that MLP itself would count as a SoL series, more so the first 2 seasons.

We must know degeneracy in order to detect it.

Because 99% of everything is garbage.

>unlike in rural America where cartoons are considered "the work of the devil".
Literally what? Have you ever actually been to America?

Slice of Life is a nothing genre, and a nothing description of a genre.

What is the tone? Is it tragic? Comic? Both? Neither?

Does the audience want to see the outcome of a conflict? Play along and see if they can figure out the central puzzle or enigma? Are you building and releasing tension as the story progresses? None of the above?

Are you in an idealized past? A different world? Space future? An office setting? Is there any consistent milieu?

Basically, any good SoL I've seen was something else. A comedy. A tragedy. A mystery. A romance. Something besides some vaguely defined focus on mundanity was making it tick.

Because SoL is centered on being "comfy." Plot structure, conflict, character development take a backseat to trying to make your cartoon about as inoffensive and bland as possible for the sake of outright telling a story where nothing happens.

>would count as a shit series
ftfy

Don't have to, liberals have told me all about those evil conservatives in an objective unbiased way

I like Ed, Edd, n' Eddy.

"oh no,the mrs goodra is again, run away."

>Plot structure, conflict, character development take a backseat
You can have all of that in a SoL cartoon. Look at the shows and named.

My friend was actually not allowed to watch Ben 10 because of aliens, teen titans because ravens spells were satanic, and land before time because of dinosaurs being some kind of atheist agenda. and I live in California, so I can only imagine what it's like in a state where whole neighborhoods are like this

>nobody mentioned the best SOL

The Weekenders people. If you haven't watched it you don't know how good western SOL can be. It's a great cartoon in general. Basically required viewing.

Also there's Ruby Gloom, Mina the vampire, The Loud House and probably a load of stuff I can't remember atm. Oh yeah, Pepper Ann.

Shit, the question OP should be asking is "Why are most western SOL's so good?"

Anglo-Saxon fundamentalism never ceases to amaze me. Both your liberals and your religious nuts are batshit crazy.

>mrs goodra
I hate this meme.

No, dutygenerate is not hate,

I fondly remember Weekenders. I tried watching Ruby Gloom, it was cute but really boring, couldn't finish it. I remember seeing a couple episodes Mona the Vampire but I can't say I remember much about it.

You could also mention Recess, which was pretty good.

I'm probably going to have to go and watch Recess and Weekenders to see if they held up. Considering they were able to keep my attention as a kid I feel like I can still enjoy them.

As for nippon SoL, I'm not too familiar but the only one's I've watched (and enjoyed) were comedy heavy (Nichijou, Daily lives of highschool boys, Squid Girl). I don't think I could sit through SoL otherwise.