Mr. Moore has denounced his work on Batman: The Killing Joke

>Mr. Moore has denounced his work on Batman: The Killing Joke

>Alan said he didn’t like his writing on the project and was particularly bothered by the fact that the tale turned out to be so violent and dark. He adds that, were he to return to the Batman franchise today, he would prefer to write the campier detective-style stories of bygone eras than to delve any deeper into the darker Batman stories currently popular.

>“I think it put far too much melodramatic weight upon a character that was never designed to carry it,” Moore says of his Batman graphic novel. “It was too nasty, it was too physically violent. There were some good things about it, but in terms of my writing, it’s not one of my favorite pieces.”

>Taking it a step further, Moore has said that he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke, as soon as he heard of the plans to produce the animated film. Additionally, the writer asked that any profits be directed toward the artist and not to himself, as he wants to distance himself from the story as much as possible.

inquisitr.com/3051969/batman-the-killing-joke-writer-alan-moore-it-was-too-nasty/

It's bad because it's mean spirited

My name is Alan Moore, and I'm the saltiest man alive.

>Moore has said that he has asked that his name be removed from credits.
Al, my good man, I'm beginning to think you have a problem, some kind of addiction to not being named for things with your name on it.

You can't uncredit yourself from your work.
>Inb4 why not, it's his
I'm not saying he should not be allowed, I'm saying it is pointless at this point. If it was a few months after release maybe, I dunno. But like years?! Not gonna happen. If someone types in TKJ before or after seeing the movie they're going to see the goddamn articles about the book.

You can't be Anonymous after the act. That's not how it works.

Anyway he has nothing to worry about, the animation looked like dogshit last I checked, I imagine not many people are going to recall this fondly enough to actually look through the credits or look into the book when the search engine shows it.

Wew

>campy alan moore
eh, id be curious

Let me guess he's gonna' say he never really liked League of Extraordinary Gentlemen next isn't he?

This Summer.
The only deconstruction left.
Is himself.
>"Alan Moore was a mistake" - Alan Moore

>He adds that, were he to return to the Batman franchise today, he would prefer to write the campier detective-style stories of bygone eras

that sounds interesting. give him the watchmen rights and make this happen DC.

>he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke, as soon as he heard of the plans to produce the animated film.
Let me guess, and then he'll complain about it not being credited to him in the future?

>Waah, now that all other comics are dark and brooding it bugs me that mine are

>Mr. Moore has denounced his work
Water, wet

>Waah, now that all other comics are dark and brooding it bugs me that *Original Writer's are

I think Alan Moore is now on the same place as Frank Miller currently is. They're both extremely good writers who now have gone off the deep end in different ways.

>one guy criticizes his own work and the company that fucked him over
>the other goes full stormfront regarding muslims

one is crazier than the other.

Perhaps. They both have two things in common. They're both crazy, and their fans wished they were back when they were the fun kind of crazy instead of the depressing kind of crazy.

much of Moore's body of work can be read as an intentional 'what not to do'
Watchmen was meant to demonstrate that making capeshit too serious and mature just produced unlikable assholes who invalidate the hardworking normal characters through their actions
Fishrape was meant to demonstrate that removing the subtly and implications from Lovecraftian tales results in rather straightforward and mystery-less monster tale

he has over the years finally accepted that he can't fight Poe's law and the only stories of his worth a damn were those done in sincerity

Once again, Moore is right

Reminds me of that Goofus and Gallant thread where we reinterpreted it for a laugh.
I never considered if that could actually happen in application until now.

>Taking it a step further, Moore has said that he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke, as soon as he heard of the plans to produce the animated film. Additionally, the writer asked that any profits be directed toward the artist and not to himself,
This has been his policy for decades now. He goes over this every time. He decries those works and then says he would feel hypocritical to put down them and still get money for them so he has them remove his name from any official credits for legal reasons so that the people remaking/adapting or whatever his works aren't legally obliged to pay him.

Watchmen was designed to point out that comics SHOULDN'T be dark and brooding and horrible.

Everyone just got distracted by omg rorschach so epic and badass!!

You're a newfag. League was what started his removing his name from credits.
In 2003 when the LxG movie came out as such a terrible adaptation he said the movie was awful and didn't want to be associated with it. Of course the first reaction was smug internet fags like you trying to sound clever saying, "Ohhh you don't want to be associated with it but the royalty money is still good." To which he responded by going "Good point. Remove my credits and any royalties or pay go to the artist. I won't accept the money from something I've denounced." And that has been his official policy for every time since from the Constantine movie to Watchmen the movie to now The Killing Joke the cartoon. And know you know newfag and knowing is half the battle.

He never complained about this before. Basically any movie or whatsoever he asks to not be credited and for any money to go for the artists.

Dude hates money.

>>he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke, as soon as he heard of the plans to produce the animated film.
>Let me guess, and then he'll complain about it not being credited to him in the future?
DC outright offered them back if he helped with Before Watchmen. He doesn't want them, he just wants to complain.

You never read Tom Strong?

>you can have the rights to your work if you help us ruin it first

>Additionally, the writer asked that any profits be directed toward the artist and not to himself, as he wants to distance himself from the story as much as possible.

>was particularly bothered by the fact that the tale turned out to be so violent and dark

He writes a Batman story, it becomes popular and now he shits on it. I bet if he did a campy 60s Batman story instead, he would be complaining that he should have done a Golden Age grim detective story.

As much as I like his work, Moore is losing the plot.

This shilling is getting ridiculous. It's a stupid fucking idea DC, stop the damage control.

But my kids need money, user. Money to buy the many high-quality DC Comics Products available now for purchase.

You actually think DC hired people to push their agenda because Sup Forums has such a far reaching and powerful audience? You are mentally ill.

There's nothing campy about that.

And you think people aren't hired to push agendas and promote things on the Internet. Most days I'd rather be "mentally ill" than ignorant.

He was talking about the comic you illiterate queer

That or your old as fuck. You realize that movie was thirteen years ago right?

the DC shills do it for free, there is no downside.

He literally said he hadn't read any Lovecraft before he wrote Fishrape. It wasn't a deconstruction, it was just bad.

Moore could say anything and you would agree with him

hail hydra my good sir

In the case of Moore's whining, no. That would be crazy to think DC would feel the need to secretly send anons to post on Sup Forums.

Don't worry, Alan. Miller had already made sure Joker would never work as a campy character again before you could actually do any real damage.

Why would you be predisposed to disagree with someone before they've said anything?

It wasn't because the film was shit, it was because of the court case that followed which alleged that the film story was stolen from some other guys who pitched a similar story before. Moore was involved in the court battle and he felt as if he was being accused of having stolen the idea for his comic originally. He compared his treatment to that of somebody having blown up a bus full of retarded kids. After that, he gave up on Hollywood and distanced himself from all adaptations.

Not OP but I was 13 when the film came out and I read up on the court case when I was 16 and became interested in Moore's work and adaptations. It's not complicated to be curious and look up shit.

You're right, on the Internet everyone is who they say they are 100% of the time and companies whose fanbases have a significant online presence would never think to promote their products obliquely on hugely popular forums.

I don't know, you tell me.

Miller's Joker just killed people, which is nothingnew, TKJ's Joker was a twisted psychopath lost in mind/physical torturing people and trying to break them + sad/tragic origin story

Moore saying that he thought Killing Joke wasn't a good comic despite all the reception it got is really old.

Reminds me that both of them looks horrible and depress as fuck these day.

If he wants to disown something, disown Lost Girls.

>Everyone got distracted by the fact that he created a really good and intriguing story
FTFY

Joke's on you, Moore. I like the Killing Joke as it is and there's nothing you can do to make me stop liking it.

He's done this with every adaption of his work since League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in 2003.

I don't get why the Killing Joke is so polarizing.

Just because Barb got crippled? Gordon got it worse.

SJWs thought Joker raped Barbara, even when Moore explicitly stated he never does.

>polarizing
It's a critical acclaimed which is the reason Moore was so butthurt about it, user. He would not act like a little bitch if people hate KJ.

Yeah but who is going to believe Alan " I even raped a plant" Moore when it comes to this?

>It was too nasty, it was too physically violent.
Coming from Moore this is ridiculous.

>He adds that, were he to return to the Batman franchise today, he would prefer to write the campier detective-style stories of bygone eras than to delve any deeper into the darker Batman stories currently popular.
What a hipster thing to say. And batman started out as dark, Mr. Moore, he later became campy and now returned to roots.

>Watchmen was designed to point out that comics SHOULDN'T be dark and brooding and horrible.
No it wasn't. He wrote Swamp Thing, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, and pitched Twilight of the Superheroes around the same time. Edgy gorefests was what Alan Moore wrote back then.

Oh right, he just took her clothes off and took naughty pictures of her while she was bleeding out with a bullet in her spinal cord.

Totally different

>implying he wasn't doing it "ironically"

Miller's Joker killed an unprecedented amount of people in DKR. Before then, he was a serial killer who killed more of his own crew than actual innocents.

Yeah, no penetration, not rape.

but killing is nothing special
he wasn't that twisted as Moore or Snyder's Joker

but..there was penetration

That's not rape.

No cock penetrating pussy though, I meant. And if there was, I'd like to see your evidence.

To be fair Swamp Thing is Vertigo and when the capes do show up they themselves aren't dark even though the Swamp Thing stories are. Swamp Thing takes off his cape and drapes it around the Floronic Man before taking him to Arkham to get help

No, you're an idiot. Moore always hated superheroes and Watchmen is supposed to show them as the abominations and caricatures that they are. Even in TKJ he mocks the impracticality of their costumes by the scene in which Joker is poking his fingers through batman's eye sockets and pulling the mask over his face. Applying realism to capes and mocking them was his shtick.

Legally speaking, there is a difference between rape and sexual assault.
Swamp Thing was pre-Vertigo and assigned the label after the fact. It just had a SUGGESTED FOR MATURE READERS label.

It was a joke you autist. The bulled penetrated her...

>campier
>detective-style

Those two styles are opposites. He's just saying words now.

>Moore always hated superheroes

No he didn't

Well, jokes are meant to be funny.

Ah shit yeah you're right

>ugh capes are so stupid and not realistic
>not like my league of extraordinary gentlemen, which are characters I stole from dead people

It was pretty funny but since you're a sjw...

>It was pretty funny but since you're a sjw...
And you call me an autist.

He's mad because instead of keeping it as it is DC ended up treating it as canon. The "nasty" parts feel much more mean-spirited when they end up affecting the characters for the rest of their existence

He's a very jaded and senile old man.

wew lighten up lad

Are you kidding right now? Or did you forget what he did to Selina?

Check out his Twilight of the Superheroes pitch. He wanted that to be canon, and that's far worse than anything in the Killing Joke.

What, have her be out of shape when she ages after retirement?

Even ignoring that, do you really think current Selina-in-her-prime wouldn't be utterly fucked if Joker-in-his-prime went after her?

>Check out his Twilight of the Superheroes pitch
OK

>Twilight was conceived as a standalone limited series which could also be tied to ongoing titles at the other writers' consent

If this was Moor's Joker he would have found Selina naked probably raped and with pictures all over the place. Instead he just dressed her like WW and tied her (it's a reference to WW her lasso and her BSDM themes)

Yeah, but he wanted it to be a canon endgame for the DCU.

I was referring to the fact that he savagely beat and humiliated her. And why? Because she's his competition.

Moore thought he went to far with the killing joke? then what the fuck was up with the fish rape in that one comic?

by "much of Moore's body of work can be read as" I meant 'Death of the Author'

>DC now holds guns to people's heads when they sign contracts

Good to know.

Context, user
>I think it put far too much melodramatic weight upon a character that was never designed to carry it

A horror setting is going to inevitably have horror whether implied or illustrated. Moore's testament on Batman is debatable, in the right hands it's handled well but in the wrong, well I'll just say a few too many drinks while watching Face/Off can have unfortunate consequences.

You can't even articulate your thoughts intelligently, let alone acknowledge the fact that Moore himself has stated that Joker never raped Barbara.

Nah, it's the people signing who bring guns. Good old Mike Grell...

I am, I wasn't being malicious or anything. The joke just wasn't funny.

user if I wanted to spend corporate bucks on shilling my product (something that couldn't be measured). I'd make sure it was to places like facebook, twiter, etc and not ones that would give me bad PR.

The fish rape was more comical than horror though

>Taking it a step further, Moore has said that he has asked that his name be removed from an credits for Batman: The Killing Joke

For fuck's sake Rasputin, is there anything in the world that you accept credit for? Fuck.

Moore's constant habit of asking for his name to be removed from things strikes me as cowardice at this point. The fact is, YOU WROTE IT you fuck. You can't un-write it. You cannot change the past. Whether you like it or not, it's your responsibility to take.

Then try and lighten up a bit more, today is a good day.

No he mocks the idea of taking them seriously. He thinks of them as childrens characters and in that function they work just fine.