Ridley Scott explained the motives behind the Engineer race and why David bombed them

Ridley Scott explained the motives behind the Engineer race and why David bombed them.

According to Scott, the Engineers periodically visit worlds they've seeded with life and occasionally will "wipe the slate clean" if they discover their offspring have lost their way. Much like the catastrophes described in biblical times when God grew tired of Mankind, the Engineers too, would eradicate entire generations of species if they proved to be a disappointment.

Other urls found in this thread:

alien-covenant.com/news/ridley-scott-explains-why-david-bombed-engineers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If the planet went wrong, they would want to wipe it clean. But that could take 500 years. When they revisit – because different visitors would come back and see we’re not doing so well – they would look at these human beings that are jerks, that are killing the planet, killing themselves, can’t settle down, they’re like a bunch of children. We should wipe it clean.

Following on, Ridley explains that David has no respect for Engineers or Humanity and actually have developed a hatred of their species collectively:

He hates them. He has no respect for Engineers and no respect for human beings.

>millions of years since you invented space travel and super advanced genetic manipulation
>can't invent a defense against someone flying a several thousand years old version of one of your own space ships on top of you and dropping goo on you

Why couldn't they fucking put this in the movie some how.

alien-covenant.com/news/ridley-scott-explains-why-david-bombed-engineers

>someone flying a several thousand years old version of one of your own space ships on top of you and dropping goo on you
wow, how could they miss such and obvious threat?

>David bombed them because he hates them
yeah but why specifically does he hate them. this provides so little information he may as well have said nothing.

truthfully i think Ridley Scott has no fucking clue anything happened in the movie

>wow, how could they miss such and obvious threat?

They are suppose to be god.

HOW THE FUCK YOUR GOING TO SNEAK UP ON GOD

HE AINT NO BITCH NIGGA

He defective AI they said it in the movie

We Mass Effect

So. We Mass Effect now? I always knew those aliens were kinda like the reapers.

We wuz Mass Effect.

This is why these movies are so terrible. In order to understand the motives of some characters, you have to have it explained to you in an interview after the film has come out.

He wasn't defective. They made him too human. That's why they made it so Walter wasn't able to create.

David is still butthurt over the decapitation thing

cool fucking shit Ridley, but try putting character motivations in the fucking movie next time, especially when we are talking about something that literally was teased to be explained in the sequel

>Much like the catastrophes described in biblical times when God grew tired of Mankind
God never grew tired of mankind. He did wipe it out when it was just degenerates though.

>God never grew tired of mankind

Yes it did.

Before anyone says anything, Mass Effect stole the Reaper plot from like a million animes and at least one old rpg from the 80s.

His motives are pretty obvious. I don't know why people have difficulty understanding his character

The vast majority of mass effect is a ripoff of babylon 5

I'm not necessarily talking about David in covenant, but the whole "space Jesus" thing is something that, unless you had heard of it before, you wouldn't have any clue about it being a major thing in Prometheus.

Just turn off your noggin

Ok champ. Find me the passage in the bible where god "tires" of mankind.

Prometheus and Covenant are both better if you ignore Ridley's comments about Space Jesus and such. It's one of those cases where the art surpasses its creator and is only dragged down the more its creator tries to analyze and explain it. The Engineers work much better if their motives and thought process remain mysterious and ineffable

David killed them because his schizoid tendencies led him to believe that, in killing them, he'd be creating his own form of life. His sole ambition is to be a creator and he weeps because he knows that in order to see this obsession realized he will have to slaughter this race below. When they describe him as being 'too human', you're meant to infer from this that he went insane. He has that potential unlike the later models. Insanity, at its core, is a fundamental misunderstanding of nature external to you; David fundamentally misunderstands the concept of creation and, as a result, births monsters.

>They are suppose to be god.

Both movies are about creations destroying their creators.

>It's a metaphor, he was angry!

>God creates Engineers
>Engineers create Humans
>Humans create Synthetics
>Synthetic creates Xeno

>Humans kill/ loose God
>Synthetic kills Engineers
>Xeno kills Humans

The whole Rildey alien films are about the killing of "God". Or whoever created your creators.

Not those anons but Genesis 6:5-7 goes:

>5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

>6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

>7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
There's also plenty of other times where God goes on about man's wickedness ,etc. So while it's not tiring the strictest sense of the word it's honestly not too much of a stretch

Just watched this last night. Damn was it depressing.

I assume what happens to Shaw is going to happen to everyone on the ship.

Literally learn the meaning of words. That is not "Tiring" of man.

Could David actually drive the ship? I thought it was on some sort of auto pilot to go to the Engineer world. If so, how did it end up crashed on the hillside after he released the virus?