The grief of not being able to know what rock singers are singing about in English without reading lyrics

>The grief of not being able to know what rock singers are singing about in English without reading lyrics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/h6qb_voOxHw
youtu.be/HL25C0H9vVw
youtube.com/watch?v=_VHiOrYRHuw
youtu.be/lQrDASSYKmw
youtu.be/wjg0EC83dHQ
youtu.be/Qi9FfQi1-rg
youtube.com/watch?v=X_IWlPHMziU
youtube.com/watch?v=1-mLIdLZZeI
youtu.be/LL9kcGra9Rs
youtu.be/whQQpwwvSh4
youtube.com/watch?v=0yXinPYK-Jk
youtube.com/watch?v=VJTjsVSzQ1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=YYOW1J_An4M
youtu.be/Ry_bpaKDcAo
youtube.com/watch?v=ZfYGxvP67kY
youtu.be/p4CUa-GOo1g
youtube.com/watch?v=Coy8Hoa1DNw
youtube.com/watch?v=D3uJHTisUdE
youtube.com/watch?v=NziCnOAigSY
youtube.com/watch?v=Bz7IGr3hWog
youtube.com/watch?v=lZD4ezDbbu4
youtube.com/watch?v=ByC8sRdL-Ro
youtube.com/watch?v=S_x4_QrMcm8
youtube.com/watch?v=1gmgwx77osw
youtube.com/watch?v=dTjvG4WJD_A
youtube.com/watch?v=nt9c0UeYhFc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I used to have the same problem... Music in english is my favorite. I couldn't understand without lyrics either when I was younger, but after working for an american company, speaking english every day, now I can even watch movies without needing subtitles. I hope this helps :)

Honestly not knowing the lyrics of songs is't so bad.
t. someone who likes 1980s and 1990s animu songs

I listen to Japanese music and I don't know the lyrics
Even tho I don't understand a single word I still think Japanese is a beautiful language

i cant understand crystal king lyrics either, i love hokuto no ken ending song.

Totally agree. I'm actually listening to anime music right now. So beautiful :')

You are lucky you can understand japanese music. That's my favorite right now. I like it so much I even started learning japanese using Duolinguo. After a few months I can already write every Hiragana symbol by heart, but I know I still have a long way to go...

I'm now 22 and still struggling for it lol. but your English success story motivates me a lot :-D
youtu.be/h6qb_voOxHw
Exactly, but it's also true understanding lyrics makes my experience on music much better
Utena
youtu.be/HL25C0H9vVw

Currently listening to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=_VHiOrYRHuw

>The grief of not being able to know what rappers are saying without reading lyrics
>The grief of not being able to comprehend what they are saying after reading lyrics

That's great, son. I was also 22 when I started speaking english every day. You written english is flawless for what I see. Maybe you should go on a live chat so you get to conversate (Listen/speak) to anglo-speakers more often. Are you or have you taken any formal english classes?

What music?
Actually I learned a bit French and could grasp the rough meaning of French popular song
Grammar is easy, there would be more Japanese language learners were it not for kanji
Z Gundam is noice too.
youtu.be/lQrDASSYKmw
True. I still don't understand " it's only
teenage wasteland" in baba o'riley

Yes of course. I have started learning English since 12 for mandatory subject. but the problem is there's no chance to SPEAK English given to us.

難聴wwwwwwwww

youtu.be/wjg0EC83dHQ

This is one example, there are a lot of Japanese music I like

I may try to learn Japanese after I finish learning Hebrew

I have read every volume of that manga, but haven't watch it. Hebrew and Arabic have some vocabularies and parts of grammar in common right? It's not that hard for you then?

Oh shit, I was listening to that just seconds ago. Sp00py.

Yeah so it won't be hard for me to learn Hebrew

Working in a call center may be an option, they usually pay well, but they're stressing, no matter the type (not like there are many stress-free jobs out there, or at all)
You may also try working abroad, in a english speaking country, as a japanese teacher. Trust me, there's a huge market for that everywhere and anywhere manga/anime are popular. I'm actually starting a japanese course in my local university next year, that's how badly I want to be able to understand anime music wthout having to read subtitles

Learning a linguistically close language sounds fun. I'm actually contemplating studying Korean.
Oh u r a university student? Me too. What you said couldn't be more true and I have tried talked with as many gaijins as possible. My effort bore fruit and i've come to speak much better English than before. I'm considering working at some hostel

Knowing the lyrics spoils international music for me desu. I can't hear it without thinking about the English translation which doesn't match up with the rhythm.

Listen to rap first

youtu.be/Qi9FfQi1-rg

Post Japanese songs
(Non-anime) pls

youtube.com/watch?v=X_IWlPHMziU
can you speak australian?
youtube.com/watch?v=1-mLIdLZZeI
its probably easier than american language

Kinda true. I was a bit disappointed when i first saw lyrics of Led Zeppelin
It's totally impossible to grasp a single word
I usually don't listen to Japanese music, only some vintage pop songs.

youtu.be/LL9kcGra9Rs

AC/DC :DDD
youtu.be/whQQpwwvSh4

Still a lot hard to grasp it. I don't have difficulty talking with foreigners if they don't speak English at native speed. I guess my understanding of English doesn't depend on English accents.

can you understand this song?
youtube.com/watch?v=0yXinPYK-Jk

I can pick up 60~70% of words mentioned there. but the rest of 30% makes it completely difficult to grasp what they are talking about

1. How often do you get to see gaijins in the area of Japan where you live? I definitely want to live in Japan at least one year of my life, probably working as a teacher of Spanish, english, maybe even french.
2. Anything you think a foreigner should know before taking a job in Japan?

aight this ones gotta be 100% understandable. he croons real slow.
youtube.com/watch?v=VJTjsVSzQ1Q

cool
>youtu.be/LL9kcGra9Rs
very nice

youtube.com/watch?v=YYOW1J_An4M

I enjoyed it more when i did not understood what they where singing...

Oh tu veux habiter au Japon? c'est bon

I'm living in Tokyo and I used to talk with gaijins at least once a week. It helped me improve mine a lot

1 you should etudier japonais un peu
2 most of apparently discriminatory experience you think you will have are actually cultural difference
3 expand your interest in other Japanese culture

>know what rappers are saying
You don't need to be a polyglot to understand what 15 niggas in sequence means.
Also, rappers have a ridiculous small vocabulary, something like 300 words and some made up terms for genitalia.

>cannot be watched in Japan
As far as i've listened to some rock, The Who is the only band i can understand
I'm a typical dad rock fun and don't listen to any modern Japanese music, but old days were noice
youtu.be/Ry_bpaKDcAo

Especially 80's rock :D

Yep, half the musics from that time where secretly, about drugs.

I used to love this song, but now that i understand that is about muhhh police arresting blacks, it kind lose the magic.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZfYGxvP67kY

everyone goes on about how humble bob dylan is, but he lives in a fucking gigantic fuckhueg mansion. that's hardly humble, especially since he sang about the poor and underclass

> i used to think knockin'on heaven's door was composed by Guns N' Roses
youtu.be/p4CUa-GOo1g

I also LOVE 80s music. Not only the music, but also the lyrics. Some 80s music I'd recommend are:
> Phil Collins (BEST)
> Hall and Oates
> Pat Benatar
> Alan Parsons Project
> Starship

I stopped liking 98% of english music after I started to understand it.

>humble
Lel, i never see anyone bragging about this, but Dylan is not that popular in Brazil anyways...

Anyways, he is my second favorite jew, just after Isaac Asimov...

Ironically, this is one of the best American musics ever made...
youtube.com/watch?v=Coy8Hoa1DNw

Always cheers me up.

Don't worry, I used to think live and let die was composed by them too.

Nice. I love this song. The lyrics are so funny. These is the kind of songs that I used to hear in family-friendly parties before reggeaton became popular.

Thanks, bro. I just listened to it, and it sure has cheered me up :)

who /AiC/ here?

I have a thing for folk...

Paul!

Same.
youtube.com/watch?v=D3uJHTisUdE

this ain't folk, but I sure love sharing it. One of the few mexican musicians i like.. he made one album and disappeared, but damn, this song, really touches my soul, the lyrics are beyond great. I hope y'all enjoy it
youtube.com/watch?v=NziCnOAigSY

Wait you are 22 y/o 190cm Mexican guy aren't you?

I'm older now. And, well, this is embarrasing, but I'm exactly 170cm

>grief
Lyrics are overrated. I listen to Metal in english precisely because the words are not intelligible half the time.

You the same japanese guy I've talking to in the last hour? The OP?

Goof lyrics user.

Another example of how learning english ruined the experience of a music. I used to love this music when i was a tennager...
youtube.com/watch?v=Bz7IGr3hWog

Je suis desolee, i thought i met you before in /trv/

Not joking, i used to sing this music with earphones in the bus...

What thread?

oh yeah, The Offspring. I used to listen to the Americana album everyday. Some songs, like, Why Dont you get a Job, and this one, I like them more now that I understand them, it reminds me of my teenager years, when life was as simple as keeping my girlfriend loyal. I also love Sum 41, Blink 142 and AFI up to this day :)

>Sum 41
Biggest contribution that Canada ever made to the world.

Trust me.
It's better that way.

Yes...
youtube.com/watch?v=lZD4ezDbbu4

Trump like us, baby we were born to run...

You're better off not knowing desu
A lot of songs get ruined for me when I realise they're just another sex and drugs song

I would like to share something with Sup Forums.

Bo Burnham is an american humorist who write some silly songs.
youtube.com/watch?v=ByC8sRdL-Ro
youtube.com/watch?v=S_x4_QrMcm8

Anyone can get a good laugh at his songs with some understanding of english.

Ah plus really really important article

4 Japan is not a ideal country, some people tend to idealize her and come here and get disappointed(kinda Paris syndrome). So don't have excessive much expectations on the land of the falling sun

Actually pay attention in class then Takeshi

>English class in Japan where students don't have any chance to practice speaking English

It's a hellhole, Guen

Some songs are pretty dam good written. I like this one from Australia.
youtube.com/watch?v=1gmgwx77osw

Is it true Highway to hell is a song to express how busy ACDC were at that time?

>Guen
At least get it right sempai, it's Nguyen

Also mastering English take more work than having some 10-15 min of practice in class, dumbass. At least go to a cram school or something

Don't expect a poor student to pay for British Council, Nguyen. What I can do is just make gaijin friends and talk a lot

Yes that's good
Take this one, it's about being a sex tourist :^)
youtube.com/watch?v=dTjvG4WJD_A

Dont think so
>Living easy, living free
>Season ticket on a one-way ride
>Asking nothing, leave me be
>Taking everything in my stride
>Don't need reason, don't need rhyme
>Ain't nothing I would rather do
>Going down, party time
>My friends are gonna be there too

That's on you for not actually giving any efforts to improve, don't go blaming your country m8

Same thing could be said for all Japs out there who can't be bothered to give a shit before abusing the shit out of their Engrish

What you can do, if you can write and read english is watch english movies with english subs. This helps spoken language comprehension A LOT

>mastering English take more work
True. You can only MASTER it living aboard in a complete immerse culture.

But learn is not really that difficult. 10 years ago, i could not understand shit. Then i discover Sup Forums and started to watch movies and series in the native language with subs. Take me some months and i start to realize that many subs where wrong and did not make sense. Then i take it off and was capable of watch a entire movie without subs.
Never actually take any class (to be fair, many englihs words are based on latin, this make more easily for western beginners "learn" English)

Also, context is everything in any language. Learn the 1000 words most used in english, and you can understand a sentence with strange words, because you know about what they are talking.

99% of rock/pop lyrics are about wanting to get laid/getting laid/reminiscing about getting laid. Past present and tense.

>..."their legs were often open but their minds where always closed"..

2deep4me

youtube.com/watch?v=nt9c0UeYhFc

Nah I have always made every effort I thought would improve my English. I have carried out all the examples I named in this thread. Are you perhaps encouraging me Nguyen kun?
Actually I am listening to films while studying. Now I can recite many parts of Lawrence of Arabia

>Now I can recite many parts of Lawrence of Arabia

Hehehehe
>no, don't take my pants off
>what are you doing
>stop
>nooooo

He's the most extraordinary man since Bernam and Bentley

Yes, cause I always wanted a cute japanese trap gf who can speak english well

Did not know he was so popular in Japan.

>mfw you said to me that I am an effortless brainless dumbass who blames my low tier Engrish for my cunt and is always ranting in Engrrrish
Nah it's a dialogue from Lawrence of Arabia

My face was like this

Sometimes when I listen to lyrics and think of them they sound really dumb to me. Sometimes I actually still mishear the lyrics but then they turn out to be worse than my mishearing, I prefer Finnish music to english music nowadays though

>is a beautiful language
No, it isn't yanai.

True lol

btw which Spanish dialect sounds coolest to you?

Mine

>mfw I understand completely only songs written prior to 80's
Have people there forgot how to speak their own language all of a sudden?