Sup Forums Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1946

Japanese language learning thread.

Read the Guide linked before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/
Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y5YSw7TRGdk
kanjialive.com/214-traditional-kanji-radicals/
youtube.com/watch?v=HOj4zOcNdak
youtube.com/watch?v=9K95xsKPur0
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q12117703762
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

たまにはあのノルウェー野郎より先にポストしてみよう。

should I grind radicals before starting kanji?
been getting mixed responses to this

>should I grind radicals before starting kanji?
yes, it's easier to get into kanji when they don't look like completely random scribble to you

If you're old enough to post on Sup Forums, it's too late for you to start learning Japanese.

そんなことより時代劇見ようぜ
youtube.com/watch?v=y5YSw7TRGdk

If you're going to learn radicals, take the time to learn how to write them (stroke order included).

That way you get the best of both worlds - being able to jump at kanji quickly, without learning kanji by kanji, but also having a solider grasp on their construction.

Wait, so you can only learn it up to 12?

>Wait, so you can only learn it up to 12?

Yep. Enjoy your "reps" while tween Chad watches anime and passes N1 in his sleep.

A random テレビタレント just used the word 祁門茶, justifying my mining!

this is nothing but a sad excuse for people to be lazy
"Oh I always wanted to learn *random language* but I've crossed this magical line already and now it's impossible"

Then how do you explain this?

where can I find newhalf gf? have most japanese people even met a newhalf?

you made my day lol

ああん? やんのかコラァ

Yes and no. No need to go hardcore on these. Also watch out because most "radical lists" have taking many liberties with their meanings (I'm looking at you wanikani)
Also most radicals ARE kanji, so if you just learn to recognize the few radicals that aren't kanji as you learn you'll be good
And many radicals are basically the same despite looking different depending "where" they appear in the kanji (see pic)
kanjialive.com/214-traditional-kanji-radicals/

also useful.
youtube.com/watch?v=HOj4zOcNdak
youtube.com/watch?v=9K95xsKPur0

tl;dr japanese is a mess.

Decided to randomly browse /ja/ section on Twitch and saw more than a few streams that have 垂れ流し in the title. It's read as two separate words, right? Or is it a slang for something? How do you translate this properly then?

detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q12117703762

using Michel Thomas discs, they wax poetic about how
>It's the teachers responsibility to make learning happen
>you don't need to memorize jack shit
>the student don't need nuthin for naught
as a student, this feels like horseshit. anyone have experience with Michel Thomas? Is it worth my time as long as I'm going through Anki decks as well?

Meme Thomas is directed at bottom of the barrel normies who need motivation to give a shit, not studying techniques.

If you are a second-guessing mask-wearing chad wannabe, go for le Meme Thomas method.
If you just know how you tick and can do without cheap psychotherapy, just study Japanese instead of wasting time with motivational ""education"".

cringe

(Image from Sup Forumswiki)
Does this mean Pimsleur is for people without a limbic system?
or does the Sup Forumswiki not reflect the board's views?
or does your view specifically differ from the Sup Forumswiki's?

No, it just means even shredding your own dick to bits with a cheese grater can be better than doing Pimsleur. That's not an achievement.

Sup Forumswiki's language resources are as generic as it gets and only scrape the surface, this thread is specialized in Japanese and we have a guide of our own, as you can see in the OP. Whatever's in the guide are the generally accepted/recommended resources.

> Sup Forumswiki's

Christ, that's awful.

It gets worse
> I recommend having the front of the card be kanji + kana reading, then right below it, full kana reading (so you can read it), then on the BACK of the card, the meanings.
>So how long will it take before you feel pretty good about Japanese? Maybe 100 hours or so.
>Anyways, 1,000 hours you should be pro at Japanese.

This was not written by people who have learned Japanese

I'm going to give this a shot

>strongly not recommended
Worrysome if a resource on language has awkward wording

>paper written in Microsoft fucking Word
fucking awful. If someone handed me that I'd reject it on the spot.

>It only looks at English -> Spanish
Why would that be in the Japanese section?

>or does the Sup Forumswiki not reflect the board's views?
>or does your view specifically differ from the Sup Forumswiki's?

but he didn't ask how to learn Japanese.

Context of the thread, user. This is a Japanese language learning thread.

Up you go.

あげ

thanks!

Is napping right after studying okay? 眠いなぁぁぁ...

It's even better, since your brain will take that time to organize shit. Not sure if a siesta is enough, though. Ideal time for studying is generally at the end of the day, before a full sleep cycle.
Oh, I know, make it an at least 1:30h nap and it should be okay.

Getting a full 8h15min every night is optimal for most people.
Learning ability suffers drastically even if you only sleep 7 hours. It gets worse the less sleep you get.

Never skip on sleep. It's always a net loss of productivity.

I have found out skipping sleep is the only way to keep a steady 24h routine. I eventually catch up, but I get shit quality sleep at least 3 days a week.
The other option is having no schedule at all and fucking myself over even more because real life works at set times.

I'd fucking love to but every night I wake up after 4-5 hours no matter what I do and can't get back to sleep.

good-nights-rest privileged ass

Am I brain problems?

I watched some Japanese TV channels but I never know when a show is starting/finishing. It never looks like there is an ending, they just go to commercials, another show comes up as if they were showing a "soon, after Current Show You're Watching!", but the Current Show never comes back and you're just stuck with the new one.

What the fuck? Am I too used to the Brazilian model, where everything has an intro/ending with some credits rolling or something?
Or have they changed this in order to keep the channel as an infinite clickbait media, never having a sense of closure so people won't turn it off?

A: まあ...私の花冠は貴女から? アリサ
B: 思ったとおり碧眼によく映える。 綺麗。
What does the first sentence mean?

there's always credits rolling at least across the bottom of the screen, yes you're probably dumb or watching some weird channel

I am not directly looking at the screen most of the time, just getting glimpses (it's in another monitor as I work).
So the credits can roll discreetly even while they're speaking? I'd expect at least for them to speak in very forced tones something like この辺で、終わりしましょうか?イエエエエイ!ありがとうございましたあああ!

it really depends on the program, sometimes it'll be an outro, sometimes music over credits over clips, sometimes previews of the next episode, other times it'll just be clips of things that happened in the show. it's kind of weird that you can't tell regardless though.

>遊弋

it never stops, does it

Sentence looks incomplete.
I'm assuming it's something like 貴女から? アリサに
>My corolla is handed from you(?) to Arisa.
多分

>出さされました
what form is this?

>出さされました
出させられました
出させる -> 出さす -> 出さされる

Thanks, I figured from context that it had to be causative passive, but I forgot about 出さす

Thank.

thanks*

For people who know things about international schools in Japan: I'm about to finish getting my MA and teaching license in America, do I need experience teaching in America to be hired for an international school in Japan? Or would experience through JET/no experience be fine

I think you should try to google that, we're just learning japanese and being weebs here

I hope you're learning Japanese and aren't going to Pick It Up When You Get There™.

It's not difficult to begin, but avoid Michel Thomas unless you're extremely bored and need to reinforce basic concepts early on.

I recommend...

>Anki 6k deck (vocabulary + kanji)
>Heisig RTK + Memrise (kanji)
>Tae Kim + JFBP (grammar)
>HelloTalk + Meetup (conversation)
>Manga (reading)

I also enjoy drama but each to their own.

the only reason RTK still gets recommended is because of its reviews on amazon that all got written by people who were still complete dekinais when they wrote them
half ot them literally start with "I just finished this book" or " I already learned X amount of kanji".... all the 4-5 stars would be more like 2,5 if you asked them years later

are you a weeb?

So, what is DJT?

I still think learning kanji in isolation is important, and RTK helps to give a basic foundation and get through meanings relatively quickly. You should be supplementing your learning with other sources all the time anyway to gain a deeper understanding (I've even taken time to look up bone script at times).

depends on the definition, personally I don't think that I'm a weeb because I actually have a genuine interest in japanese and japan

>I still think learning kanji in isolation is important,
I agree, but as far as I can tell KKLC would be much better because it actually teaches the readings etc. and goes through the kanji be frequency
the RTK gimmick by radicals just doesn't work the way it's intended and not teaching the readings is just a scam to force you to buy the 2nd book which works even less by the way... in hindsight I'm pretty mad 2bh

We gotta completely WaniKani RTK out of existence, KKLC will pave the way for DJTers.

>Quit learning Swedish to learn Japanese
>Started yesterday evening
>Already know the full Hirigana and half of the Katakana

This language is too easy

>48 hours and 17 minutes
>already dropped 1/3 of your established goals
Not gonna make it.

I'll screencap this and shove it in your face later when you start crying

I went back on my goal but it was for the better. I was getting no enjoyment out of learning Swedish, not like I have so far out of learning Japanese. Besides, at that point I was forcing myself to continue my Swedish study due to being around 1k words deep. I set myself up to quit, I know. But at least i’m having fun learning rather than forcing myself. Besides Swedish is irrelevant as fuck desu

>When you start crying
I’ll probably blow through 6k in like, what, a week? I’m just greatful i’m not a brainlet.

Mm

you aren't the swedish learning burger, are you

Former

I wish I could ban you

>I wish I could ban you

>Already know the full Hirigana
>Hirigana
>ri

pic related only applies to brainlets and their ilk, unlike myself. You’d be surprised how much motivation and intuition comes with being intelligent.

Shouldn't you be studying right now?

Nigga i’m cooking dinner. Bout to finish the rest of the Katakana after I eat my Tofu and Rice.

>motivation
>intuition
>intelligent
>normalfag memes
>tofu
>Hirigana
>phoneposting
May Almighty God have mercy on your soul.

日本人のおしりほうがいい品質です。でも、ニガーのおしりほうが大きい。だから、ニガーのが一番です

If I wanted to say someone looks like another person, like "he looks like Tom Cruise", would it be better to use 見える or 似る?

First one.
Or そっくり.

Sorry, ボッブ, I meant the second one (似る).

tomukuru-zutourihutatu(desu)

I think it depends on who you're talking to, if you're talking baout someone in general you would use 見える
but if you wanted to say your conversation partner looks like tom cruise you'd say 似る

I might be wrong though

Well, it's a person in a picture that I'm talking about

as far as I can tell 似る is more like resembling or matching, for example how they use it when clothes look good on someone and they say よく似ている or something
見える literally is just literally "looks like"
そっくり is more like shiieeet you totally look like tom cruise, it's more of a special thing

トム・クルーズに似ている

>for example how they use it when clothes look good on someone and they say よく似ている or something
You're thinking of 似合う.

Reminder that mining is fun but highly highly addictive. Be careful with Yomi, she will consume you.

>似ている
Used that
Thanks, guys

Need a second opinion because I'm probably retarded.

Is the first kanji of the second column 内 or 向? Due context I think it's 内 but I'm not so sure.

that could never look like 内

A silly question: What other kanji could be put in place of 食?

that is a silly question :DDDD

They abbreviate the gates 門 radical like that in handwriting

Lots of others
運べる?
調べる?
比べる?
飛べる?
etc

Has anyone seen The Handmaiden before?

The Japanese is really simplistic right? It seems so off.

or am I crazy

Yeah it seemed kinda off to me too. Then I realized it was korean.

fucking (((Koreans)))