Do nukes actually exist?

In this era of deception and lies I don't believe it is illegitimate to question Cold War (a time rife with propaganda) """secret weapons""". So do nukes exist?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ask Japan.

They most definitely do....But 'The council of 5' will not allow a country to detonate unless said country has a good reason to.

My dad was in charge of testing some small nukes with the F22's and he has no reason to lie to me.

>nukes
>Cold War
Nah, mate.

Also, nukes aren't terribly complicated.
You can make them at home, if you wanted to.
A kid almost did in the 80s(?)

The problem is reactive material.
The Fat Man/Little Boy style nuke are essentially cannons that shoot chunks of uranium at each other.

*Do you think nukes exist?

Unfortunally nobody from that lurks in Sup Forums works for NSA, no one ca confirm.

Oh, already got rekt.

How's life in You Are Gay?
Honest question. Just never see your flag around

How do you know they're actually """nukes"""? A 100 tons of TNT will give you a nice fireball and a mushroom cloud just like a """nuke""". Pic related, 100 ton TNT explosion.

That would be a hell of a payload for an F22.

>The Fat Man/Little Boy style nuke are essentially cannons that shoot chunks of uranium at each other.

those bombs were two entirely different designs! one used uranium; the other used plutonium!

You're correct that one of them was a gun-barrel uranium device.

But that design had already been thought of as too limited. Likely to work, but not an avenue for further development. That's why they dropped an entirely different design just a few days later.

The other bomb was an implosion type - instead of shooting a small mass at a larger mass, two similarly sized masses were spherically compressed around a neutron emitter.

Wikipedia covers all of it.

You would think so, but the amazing thing about atomic weapons is that they're linearly scalable.
Both up and down.
There isn't a minimum or maximum reactive material amount needed.

That's why the Tsar Bomba can exist and also the Crocket rocket.

I didn't know that LB/FM were two separate designs.
That's interesting. It explains a lot why two were used, even after the first was successful.

Do you know more about nuclear bomb design?
I just know the rough things.
Like how the H bomb uses a fucking nuke as a primer.

Why would you attempt to fly an F22 with a 100-ton payload then when you could accomplish the same thing with a 72 kg payload?

>There isn't a minimum or maximum reactive material amount needed.

that would be false - for a fission bomb, you need a minimum amount of fissile material, such that, at the time of detonation, and under the detonation conditions (temp, pressure, etc) to have a critical mass - where the emitted neutron rate is so high, and the amount of fissile nuclei nearby are so numerous, that you have a very high chance of each fission creating more than 1 additional fission, which in turn creates more than 1 fast neutron, and so on.

And you have to have enough nearby/contained nuclei, and enough fast neutrons, that enough atoms can detonate before the thing blows itself apart.

don't believe me if you want but I was in the military a couple years ago and I worked with them every day
they're certainly real

fun fact: the warheads are warm to the touch and scientists aren't sure why that is

>you need a minimum amount of fissile material, such that, at the time of detonation, and under the detonation conditions (temp, pressure, etc) to have a critical mass - where the emitted neutron rate is so high, and the amount of fissile nuclei nearby are so numerous, that you have a very high chance of each fission creating more than 1 additional fission, which in turn creates more than 1 fast neutron, and so on.
Isn't that remotely small?
Like a fistfull?
Shit like a mol is only 238.
Surely that's more than enough for each escaping neutron to successfuly strike another?

Do debts exist?

PAY DENBTS

Atmospheric testing of nuclear weapons was banned long before the Raptor came into service.

They may have tested delivery systems like a missile but I guarantee you they did not detonate one.

Russians still do it.

>Like a fistfull?

it depends on what you make the core out of.

U238 (the stuff you dig out of the ground) cannot be used in weapons at all.

Bomb uranium is U235, which exists naturally in the same rocks you find U238 in, but its only like 1% of the uranium you find.

During the manhattan project, at ORNL (Oak Ridge, Tenessee), they built a giant gaseous diffusion plant. They cooked the mixed-isotope uranium metal into a gas, and then pushed the gas through miles and miles of tiny screens with tiny holes in them, one after another.

Since the U235 atoms are smaller/lighter than the U238 atoms (by 3 neutrons, or just about 1%), the U235 atoms are slightly more likely to make it through a given layer of screen material than U238 atoms.

So, pass the mixture through enough screens, and eventually you get something that has way more U235 in it (or rather, it has way less U238 in it)

Yes, they actually did it that way.

The Hanford nuclear site did something different - they built reactors that turned uranium into plutonium. All plutonium is good to go for building fission weapons. However, it's not a naturally occurring element (at least, in any stable form) - we make plutonium when we want it for something.

You can read about the "Demon Core" on Wikipedia and see photos. It's a bit bigger than a fist.

Notably, if you search WP for "criticality event" and read about them, you can see times that critical masses were accidentally created in uncontrolled conditions. In no case was there a nuclear detonation. There were massive radiation releases and people died, but the damage was the scope of one room of people.

Actually building a functioning weapon requires more engineering than just having a critical mass worth of material co-located.

A softball worth of metal may not seem like much, but its worth pointing out that while we were actually dropping bombs on Japan, we only had 1 or 2 more cores back home, iirc.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to learn this or something like it was true

nukes dont real and the japanese government faked hiroshima and nagasaki in exchange for retaining control of the country (mitsubishi, nissan etc)

Can you tell me more?
This is fascinating.

I do know there was a naturally occurring critical event in Africa. In the Rift Zone, several hundred million years ago.

>fun fact: the warheads are warm to the touch and scientists aren't sure why that is

I'm sure that's false.

Not only is the heat-effect from the low-rate, background fission of certain types of nuclear cores known, it's utilized in astro-engineering...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

>Can you tell me more?

In general, I recommend spending a few hours on Wikipedia.

I'm not in the field, but it was a big interest of mine when I was younger.

Anything I've said here is my attempt to remember things I've read from public sources.

Thanks bro.
Keep on doing being cool

Any info or links on the event in the rift zone?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklo

It's long since burned out, but a long time ago, uranium underwent a fission reaction.

There's also a theory that our core has fission going on.
That's why the Earth is so hot compared to other rocky planets.

Heavy metals fall inwards to their star.
We should have lots of heavy metals. And inside our planet, the heaviest fall even deeper.
Our core might be kept warm still by the fission of our heaviest elements.

which part is false?
the part about scientists not knowing why its like that?

yeah i figured as much, a sergeant told me that I never bothered to google it at the time
probably because cellphones aren't allowed near nuclear weapons

bumpan

My mother's family grew up in new Mexico in the 40s and 50s..my uncle had some tests done to determine the radiation in his body. The doctor said it was real high, and that type of radiation had been only seen in amounts that high in people from Saudi Arabia.

Meme weapon