Why can't western comics be organized and released like manga?

Why can't western comics be organized and released like manga?

Run for 24 to 60 volumes and then just end. Easy to get into. No clusterfuck of writers or off model art.

Diamond.
The west is just fucked when it comes to editorial BS.

Someone /thread me.

Also a lot of indie/non-cape comics do that though. Like Hellboy. God bless Hellboy

Fuck that, I've got a much more important question. Who owns the distribution rights to Suffering-Man, and what do I have to do to get it released in print?

I dont think you really want an answer, I think youre just trying to cause trouble.

>Run for 24 to 60 volumes and then just end.
Except for the popular stuff.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but there are comics outside of Marvel and DC.

Then all the cartoons try to retell the comic exactly and either awkwardly slow pacing or awkward original episodes that contribute nothing run amuck when the show catches up to the comic.

Good writers western writers these days seem to just wanna write about one thing for 6 issues and move on. Unless the work is their OC which it pretty much never is with capeshit anymore

fuck off weeaboo

Here comes Sup Forums's innate inferiority complex.
Take this topic to another forum, OP.

Sounds pretty boring op

/thread.
One Piece may be hella long, but it has it's set end goal and it will eventually get there.

Sorry, but some guy need to continue this story.

Seriously? Ghost tigers?

>Also a lot of indie/non-cape comics do that though. Like Hellboy. God bless Hellboy

This. If you're complaining about how stories don't seem to end in western comics, or have differing creative teams, or aren't released in a linear fashion, it's probably because you decided to only read stuff from Marvel and DC and have never stuck your nose in a more niche title.

How can they keep making money from comics if their best character's stories end? Its ll about money and people hate new things, so instead of making new characters with new skill sets, they just revamp the same ol characters for years.

It was a non subtle metaphor for his growing rage at the injustices he witnessed throughout the series.

>reaching an actual conclusion is boring
I bet you enjoyed the O5 being brought in X Factor.

Sell merch, run a new series with the same writer or get new blood. Works for the japanese

It's not like comics from Japan don't have their own issues as well.
I'm not saying western stuff is perfect, but of the two, I prefer ours over theirs by far.

Whatever issues the manga industry has pales by far in comparison to the shitshow that the west has been wallowing in for years.

Why everytime i read a line from comics they sound as something Tumblr would say?

Stuff like that could very much happen in Japan but doesnt cause of cultural differences. Though having hundreds of writers over the course of a characters creation can have that shit happen to them

>Stuff like that could very much happen in Japan but doesnt cause of cultural differences.

So in other word could never happen.

Japanese manga series never changes author. The author might use assistants that come and but the author doesn't change.

Both approaches have ups and downs. They're so many chances for really good cape stories that would be lost if we simply retire a character that doesn't really need to be retired. All it takes is a good writer gets a crack at something and the magic happens.

On the other this eliminates real possibility for change and encourages mediocrity. Not that manga can't suffer from this, but its often less.

I could list some issues with the manga approach, but I think you all get the general idea.

As an anime fan that has tried several times over the years to break into comics I agree.

Last I heard of Captain America he was dead. Now apparently he is alive and joined the bad guys and replaced by a black guy....while at the same time not being with bad guys and not being replaced in his newest movies.

I honestly feel comics go out of their way to be in coherent. So that new 52 thing happened a few years ago. Great, if everything is being rebooted that must be the perfect time for a new person to get into it right? Well it would have helped if they fucking labeled things. Appearently the comic I wanted to read had already been rebooted like 3 times before which just makes it an even bigger miss. So I start reading the first issues and every couple of pages it says "go read this other unrelated comic if you want to figure out whats happening", characters from series I know nothing about pop in and out and just the make the whole thing a miss. Plus characters reference previous events that happened in some other run. It's the few issue of a reboot and you havn't told me what Hawk Man's powers are, why he became a hero, or what his universe is like.

I tried to get into this new thing Rebirth and the first issue starts with fucking time travel related to some other run I never read. I don't even know anything about the flash but apparently he can time travel.

Why can't ever reboot have a fucking subitlte so I know which version I am reading? Like how there is Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Kai? Why can't they just release them numerically? Why does the first issue assume I've been reading comics since the 50s and already know all the names and places? Why do I need to read everything that's ever been printed to figure out why Aquaman is fighting an alien or what the cameo character is supposed to be doing?

I managed to break through and I enjoyed Rebirth even though it was my first introduction to the DCU but I totally understand where you're coming from.

The thing that makes Hellboy great is the entire universe comes down to one guy making all the decisions and it makes for a much more cohesive story, it's the reason that chronological story time is possible.

/Thread

Man I sure do love me some 2deep4me hipster wank with shit art.

>but it has it's set end goal and it will eventually get there.

Bullshit it does.

Because you're a dumbass who follows characters and publishers instead of writers.

>Find the One Piece and become King of The Pirates
It's more of a foreseeable goal than 'a war on crime'.

It's a "war on crime". It will never happen and never begin to happen until SJ finally tells Oda its time to call it quits.

Because that's how modern Marvel writers their books

Boruto? is aready happening. Shoen junp is already falling into thecharacters-as-licence model

Just fucking read a wiki entry, literally that simple.

Then either Oda is just an absolute madman who can tie all the arcs together seamlessly into one mass of a story or I'm right and he does have a planned ending for it and everything in between.
Notice how Dragonball's arcs are very much disconnected, that was because the editors DID push Tori to do more.

I doubt Oda has planned the ending and everything in between. Oda worked for Toriyama. Oda knows how it is like to have a world where the story is all disconnected, so he's trying his best to make sure the world of One Piece's continuity is coherent. iirc that's something he said in one of the Q&As.

>I doubt Oda has planned the ending and everything in between
While not everything in between, Oda did have a basic concept of the ending planed.

>No clusterfuck of writers or off model art.
Yeah, that never happens with manga.

>Why does the first issue assume I've been reading comics since the 50s and already know all the names and places?
the vast majority of worthwhile comics are grouped by an authors run and if you start from when they take over the title to when they leave you should have no problems knowing what's going on. If information is necessary it will be explained, otherwise it won't matter.

Isn't that what most normies do, too? In the mainstream, it isn't the comic writer that gets popular, it's the character.

Why not just read all the comics on wikipedia and get it over with?

Compromise. Since you're obviously talking Marvel/DC, why not have a, say, Stupendous Spider-Man run with a "planned" beginning to end.

That just makes you a fanboy.

Capeshit problems, OP.

Not even US comics have that problem, it's pretty much a capeshit exclusive.

Name 5

This is just my opinion but i think it's fine if they continue as long as there are resolutions for individual characters. What i mean to say is have the universe moving, wrap up a character, and then the next guy can come in and do a new one. Make legacy characters, or in the cases of teams rotate out the members. I mean they kinda do it, sort of, after it's dragged on for way to long, but some of them will never die. They literally reboot the ENTIRE UNIVERSE rather than just say hey, i'm retiring, my kids doing this shit now.

Marvel and Kodansha's Monthly Shōnen Magazine

or, she was a psy powered mutant?

try comicbook herald?

do people make any money on manga though?

Every time someone touts Japan's way as the way things should be, I'm inclined to think that they don't actually pay attention to how things are actually done on either side of the Pacific.

Also, consistent creative teams don't necessarily insure quality. Anybody whose read their fair share of good and bad comics/manga would know this.

For writers I imagine it has to do with the average page rate, so most writers have to juggle several projects just to make a living. An exclusive commitment to any one comic is a luxury at this point.

all of them except for marvel and dc are done like this you fucking imbecile

if that's true, how come Dragonball is still going.

dragonball is not a western comic

yes it is.

one of the many differences between american comic and japanese manga:

Murica:
Characters&Titles- Are forever and will always be there, i.e. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc. Even if a storyline ends, they'll be back again.

Japan:
Characters&Titles- Once their serialisation ends, i.e. SamuraiX, you don't hear from them as they fade into obscurity unless you're some hardcore fan who'd pick it up for a re-run now and then

pfft

>modern Marvel

Normie.

Yeah, like Asterix, Tintin...

Wow, there's some bad writing. Big deal. It's not like every manga ever is some pinnacle of art either.

>Asterix
>my frater africanus

Nah man. Other writes picking up old characters and writing something new happens.
The main difference, at least assuming OP is an ignoramus and means DC/Marvel when it comes to Western comics, is that you have many books for different characters, written by different writers but all set in the same universe. So they are not only limited by the history of the character, but also by the editorial that wants a cohesive universe.

Then you got massive filler arcs that just drag things down. And since its one guy making it all, hes boss.

Not every manga goes on for that many volumes and not all american comics are capeshit.

Manga editors also come and go. They work as the intermediators between the creative team and the publisher to make sure the creative team doesn't try to do something the publisher won't accept. As such, the editors can affect the direction of the story from time to time. Allegedly, Fist of the North Star and Death Note are some well known examples of situations where the creative team was done but the magazine insisted that they should continue.

Another thing that can completely change a manga is switching magazines. I don't think Steel Ball Run would've been the same if the switch from WSJ to Ultra Jump didn't happen.

I realize I may rock your world here, but not all American comics are Big Two capes.

There are other comics out there besides Marvel and DC. American Splendor has ended, Cerebus has ended, many independent works have ended, and guess what? Berserk is still going on and so is One Piece.

>It's a country wars thread

>60 volumes
>not a clusterfuck

The popular stuffs run for 60 volumes. Most successful manga are in 20 something or 30 something volumes. A lot of them are around 10 volumes.

> it's a "Sup Forums argues with Sup Forums about the merits of muh western comics and cartoons" episode

Are murrican artists as slave-driven as japanese ones, though

Hell no.

I read Grayson and enjoyed it but the few issue of Batman from thoses last years I tried to read, there were too many characters and context I didn't know about.

Toriyama wanted to stop after the Cell part, the publisher wanted him to continue so he made the Boo part.

And mangaka do plan, even vaguely, where they go. In one volume of Angel Sanctuary, Kaori Yuki wrote that she pitched a 20 volumes long story to her editor and that's what she did.
Mangaka have like prepared milestones in their story that they must hit and write things in between on the fly.

>manga
>ending

They're worse than comics in that regard. You get this great story arc and it ends and then you're stuck with fillers and bland arcs and the MC's power being reset because he got too powerful.

I like manga, too, but let's not forget they got their problems as well.

Manga is a bigger industry than comics by large, even though it's declining since the 90s.

>No clusterfuck of writers or off model art.

nigger please

>filler arcs
It's an anime thing to give time for the manga to advance its story.

>and then just end

That's not happening anymore.

Dragonball Super. Boruto. Even series like Kinnikuman and Hell Teacher Nube are having continuations, either done or approved by the author themself.

While making a continuation of a story to worship the sacred cash cow is less prevalent in Japan than in cape comics, it will continue to grow.

>Hell Teacher Nube
What the fuck, that ended ages ago.

>implying every manga isn't a pinnacle of art and writing achievement

The only case of power reset I can think of is in Bleach. Same for the filler arc stuff. I don't read One piece though, so maybe there's more.

And the number of time I've seen 6 chapters arc in comics where you got 3 chapters of exposition/introduction, 1 chapter of development and 2 chapters of conclusion that left me with the feeling that the story ended before it even started...

Yeah, let's take Hunter X hunter, the manga known for its author giving up on drawing in the middle of it. An author who ended abruptly his biggest manga (Yu yu hakusho) probably because he was fed up with it.

It doesn't prevent the creation of new stories with original universe and characters as opposed to how it works in the big two.

Still these are unusual events while constant shifts in staff, retcons, and reboots are the norm in cape shit.

Maybe the never ending story is part of the appeal

THE JEWS DOESN'T WANT NEW SUPERHEROES, THE JEWS ARE NOSTALGIC BUNCH. THEY WANT US TO LOVE THEIR BELOVED CHILDHOOD HEROES, THEY WANT TO US TO REMEMBER THE HOLOCAUSE FOREVER AND EVER

AND JEW PRETTY MUCH RULES THE AMERICAN COMIC INDUSTRY.

That's the point I was making. This author is more the exception than the rule.

What's the matter, weeb? Too much continuity for ya?

that panel is quite problematic

Oda has said he knows what the ending will be and what One Piece is.

>continuity
>comics
Kek. Most stories are a mess, man. Just because they run for long don't make them good.

Because had every cape ended with it's original run we wouldn't get a lot of their best stories.

No Peace on Earth, No Palmiotti and Gray's Jonah Hex, No Kid who collects Spider-Man, etc.

That the appeal to capes, seeing another writers take on a character and seeing where they can go with them.

On the otherside there are non big two publishers who do put out books with conclusive endings and with the same creative team throughout. There's something for everyone.

Why don't you just try looking up wikis, asking anons for recommendations, or just reading indies, which are basically set up like manga anyway?

Because western comics are a reflection of the times and issues facing the world today but giving it a slight element of fantasy to see how above average characters would face and confront issues the world and our country face today. That's why their stories never end and constantly reboot because they're getting revamped to keep up with the times.

Manga is about telling a specific story, with specific characters. it's not about a reflection of culture or issues and that's primarily why they've been bottlenecked in terms of creativity but you still have the average retard who sings the praises because NUDITY AND GORE.