ARCHIE COMICS

Do any of you read these? My cousin has a big collection so I tried getting into them but it's just shit tier humour

I have no idea hpe they stay in business, even the very first issues in good condition are only like $20-$50

From what I know there is a very small but very dedicated fanbase. It's mainly autistic people

The dolly on the trolley got a seat, by golly!
Gus got on the bus without any fuss!

With a few modern exceptions the best Archie stuff in terms of writing/humor and art is silver and bronze age Archie, Jughead, Josie and Betty & Veronica. There's a few gems from the 80s but the writing starts to really tank by the 90s.

I've read a bit. There's something timeless about some old Archie comics. Jughead is fucking GOAT

I genuinely like them. They're just fun comics that you can just pick up and read. They aren't that much of an investment like most comics, so that makes them stand out.

Plus, they have some of the best elseworld stories.

Is your cousin a girl?

I really, really like the reboot, though I miss Fiona Staples. Afterlife is great and I'm looking forwards to the CW show with morbid curiosity.

I just started reading them a few weeks ago. I like them because it's nice, wholesome fun and humor is relatable. As another user said, the crossovers and elseworlds are also fun.

I did have a few questions about the series while I'm here.
>What's the deal with Betty and Veronica? Obviously Archie likes both and flip flops between them, but how did that end up happening in the first place?
>Is there a clear beginning and end to Archie? I've mostly just been picking up the digest comics and elseworlds as they come out, so I'm not sure of the chronology of the series.

>It's mainly autistic people
Rude.

Life With Archie sets up a multiverse where the series is itself the "end" of early to mid-90's Archie.
Each decade or so getting their own continuity

Cool, thanks man.

>Crisis in Inifinite Riverdales
>Jughead is the first to die like in ever crossover

In the first Archie Betty came first. Archie and her were younger maybe junior high. They aged up a bit and then Veronica came.

Stuff from 1960-1975 is usually pretty good, particularly if Frank Doyle wrote it. 1976-1990 is average. After 1990 is usually junk.

>How do they stay in business?
Sonic the Hedgehog license and cheap to produce reprint digests. And even that may no longer be enough, given their spotty release record in the last two years.

Might start a multi-day Life With Archie storytime later today, so if you're interested keep on the look out.

I don't read them regularly but I do enjoy them.

That's actually pretty funny

A lot of the old stuff is.

She may not be cold, Juggy, but damn if you ain't like ice.

I think it's impressive Archie Comics have been around for so long, minus the substantive change of the past five years. The books have modernized at a decent pace, but nothing too significant has changed.

It's readers are very dedicated, and is probably the most widely distributed family of comics in the country. If you ever need to kill some time, go digging around the web for the history of how Archie comics got their bi-weeklies into store endcaps and checkout lines . . . and how that particular maneuver impacted Archie Comics, the comics business, and the public's perception of comics on the whole. Interesting stuff.

Do I read the books myself? Soon. This latest reboot has my interest. Although I'm mostly waiting for this title (pic related, Betty and Veronica). Hughes was slated to launch it in 2015 but it didn't happen for whatever reason. Now it's finally in my solicits.

>This latest reboot has my interest.
Archie is good
Jughead, unfortunately, is pretty shit so far
Betty and Veronica has my interest

>Archie is good

Jughead is a perfect lifeform for whom sex and companionship are worthless

>>Archie is good
lol no.

>le archie is bad meme
Its not as good as the original but its not bad at all, as long as you dont see Archie as something sacred

It would be better if it was less like Archie, but it keeps trying to meet in the middle and failing and that's why it's bad.

I wanna fuck Betty so bad

I wanna marry Sabrina so bad

And the whole breaking the fourth wall and hastags/tweets in it are incredibly cringeworthy. I'm also not a fan of the colouring in that book.

Does anyone read Little Archie? Who doesn't love the little kid version of an established character?

Wholesome, family friendly fun.

Context?

Just innocent, playful...

Uh.

O-oh no.

++

40's is racist, 50's, 60's, 70's is great, 80's starts off great but quickly descends into mediocrity. 10's has a bunch of fun stuff like Afterlife, vs Predator, etc.

I don't think it was their bathing suits he was recognizing!

AHUCK UCK UCK UCK UCK

Archie has been around so long, and the morals of the decade sort of shaped him.

In the 40's Archie was just a lug trying to get dates with girls and mostly failing. Betty and Veronica were just the two more popular girls and sort of stayed for the rest of the run.

50's being the 50's in order for Archie not to be a cad he began dating Veronica, and Betty became crazy about him so she would have a role in the series. This is why in the famous Soda picture Betty is looking at Archie, while Archie looks at Veronica.

60's was the decade of free love, and so it became everyone dating whoever they'd like. Sometimes Archie dates other girls, sometimes Veronica and Betty date other guys but for the most part its the two girls vying for Archie's affection.

The first Archie story is almost completely stolen from Tom Sawyer. It's almost exactly how Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher meet in the book. Betty Cooper is a rather obvious stand in for Becky Thatcher, Thatcher and Cooper are the same thing.

Never really cared for Archie comics themselves

But I did enjoy

Afterlife with Archie
Archie vs the predator
Archie vs sharknado

That predator one was all kinds of fucked up

Little Archie's is a more adventurous sorot of stories of when the kids were young. Veronica gets captured\kidnapped a lot, they stop smugglers, hang out with Aliens, meet Santa Clause and his elves, and generally have trippy adventures.

Laughed way harder than I should have

Their Sonic line is pretty good, they even had a cape line that was not too shabby.

But I was talking about Archie itself

I used to read sonic all the time

Jesus Christ, now I see where the japs get it from.

The live action show sounds edgy
>Archie has a teacher student relationship with Miss Grundy. I'm pretty sure they are gonna make her hot though.
> Emo Jughead played by Cole Sprouse

I don't care how shitty this show will be. It is gonna be funny regardless. Also I love how Archie Comics doesn't give a fuck. They killed off Archie, have a Archie zombie comic series, and have crossovers with Predator and Punisher.

Hell yeah. Unrelated to this thread - I followed along with your Phantom Stranger Storytime the past week or so. I wish I was following it while it was released. I wish I could buy them all without Blight sucking it into so many other books.

Check the catalog, it's going down right now.
And cool, totally agree with that.