Mfw Bryan Singer started the idea of Xavier having an actual school

>mfw Bryan Singer started the idea of Xavier having an actual school
>mfw Grant Morrison made it canon in his run
>mfw Marlel hates Morrison's run and Singer's novies

The X-Men films are better than the Comics.

Nice try, shitlord. Singer's movies are only useful for wiping your ass with it or throwing it into the trash.

>says singer's movies
>describes MCU

what the h*ck

Yea Morrison absolutely loved the first Singer movie. I'm pretty sure he like it more than any X-Men comic. He took the school aspect and the black leather costumes.

>Bryan Singer started the idea of Xavier having an actual school
Wait, seriously?

I thought it had always been a school.

Guessing this was editorial mandate at the time to synergize with the movie.

Wasn't it an institute?

There had always been a school, OP is just telling lies.

"School" can mean a variety of things (i.e. driving school). Generally, the Xavier school was for training young mutants how to use their powers.
Think like Hogwarts from Harry Potter. The kids coming out of there are fucked in anything but a limited set of specialized wizard professions, and are unprepared for anything else. The Xavier school used to be similar in that regard, that it only prepared the X-men for life as X-men.

I'm so sad this is effective bait, particularly on this board.

It was 'loosely' a school when the O5 were around. The idea was basically a cover afterwards.

There was no school or actual students, just X-Men doing X-Men shit.

Morrison/Singer added the full school idea with a bunch of shitty kids running around.

>phoneposter opinions

It's not. Marvel really wasn't thinking that way at the time, it became the House of Monthly Movie Ads after Iron Man.

You can read Morrison's original pitch and notes in one of the trades. He saw the X-Men movie and it blew him away and he saw how popular it was so he pitched a low continuity series incorporating elements from the movie to bring in new readers (and because he never read X-Men and liked the movie better). You have to remember Morrison was the reboot king in the 90's after Animal Man, Doom Patrol, etc.

But only X2 and DOFP are decent.
Every other X-Men movie has been either mediocre or some of the worst capeshit ever made.

u mad

Dude, those people came out pilots and mechanics out of the school.

It was a school, they were taught school shit, but it was created so that they could be safe from others and learn how to use their powers to help as well.

They were actually so easygoing about the power training thing, many people became X-men without proper control.

Main reason for the school is safety (yeah, I know) then it's the consolidated power out on the right side of the fight. But shit, people got an education, user.

Based Morrison.

Yep. Sure, it had people who taught classes (BUT WHERE ARE THEIR DEGREES AND DIPLOMAS?????) but it was always training to be technicolor mutant militia, not to become banker or architect.

A school without students and adult neets leeching Prof X money

>b-b-but it sucks
haters gonna shill

>haters
Are you implying this franchise has fans?

Too bad that he dun goofed

Fuck off

Well, it sort of does?
They might not be the hottest brand new thing, but they have dedicated fanbase, unlike other properties.

Dumb niggas like Rogue and Gambit weren't there for education, lets be real. It was more about power control.

2000+ movies and Morrison brought the "X-Men are teachers and there are tons of students" idea. And IMO it kinda fucked the franchise in the long run.

I fucking love these movies. Singer has yet to disappoint me.

Yup, it did. And HoM was the last nail in the coffin

Gambit was there only because he wanted to plow Rogue, right?

Obviously, plus he had eyes on some gold in the mansion

There wasn't even a school, then.

Xavier was gone for a good chunk of the late 80s and they weren't in the mansion either. They all split and Gambit met Storm and thats how he joined.

THEN they found Xavier, reunited with the O5 who were X-factor, and then decided to run 14 X-Men back at the Mansion in 2 teams. No 'school' whatsoever. The only actual school then was what Emma Frost was running with Gen X.

To be honest that setup made more sense.

uhhh the X-Men were mostly supposed to be minors for a long time

and it was a good enough school for Kitty to be able to use her exam results to go to university and then on to her masters in engineering; even in 1997 she was old enough to work for 616-SHIELD as an agent in her own right (though this was around the time her questionable relationship with Pete Wisdom came up, since she's supposedly in her late 20s in modern stories she was probably a college graduate then)

which implies the standard of teaching was relatively high, which is the only actual measure of a school - the number of students is immaterial as long as it's 0<

>reboot king

I know Millar has had a rare show of humility and declared his work on 2000AD to be derivative crap, but has Morrison accepted that as well?

Zenith was only kind of good if you ignore Phase 3 onwards

Dude, how old is Wolverine? Did he have any job?
Same with the rest. NEETS fucking neets, all of them.

Which is why I love them

Morrison is only good if you are new into comics

> has never read New Mutants

There is difference between having 8 mutants that will replace the X-Men (they didn't), and have hundreds of mutants that will never be X-Men

It was a high school in the original run up to the point that the original team graduated.

Terrible opinion.
Something like Flex Mentallo is indecipherable to a new reader.

Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters
Always has been, all the way back to the 60's.

BUT it was only ever shown to have a small number of X-Men staying there and there weren't classroom scenes or anything like that. It was just a front for the X-Men and an explanation for why all these unrelated co-ed teenagers were living in a mansion with an old man, with only rare instances of characters mentioning lessons or homework. It was stated that they were getting an education in addition to training on how to control their powers, but it wasn't really emphasized or shown.

There was the whole rivalry between Emma and Xavier about pitching their schools to mutants in order to recruit them. Maybe the Hellions were shown more as a school but they were both clearly schools

Actually it is, it's flashy and weird for weird sake, it's exactly what hipsters and noobs like, because it makes them feel superior to others.

When you grow up, and mature, you start to appreciate the seemingly "boring" classics like Starlin, Englehart, Gerber, Thomas, O'Neill

Yea and that purpose has been around for decades. It's a real school for mutants to study safely without fear.

ok bud

This.

The idea that the 'students' in the mansion were eventually going to be X-men or something similar made sense, and they were combat trained.

Billy James with the power to kick rocks learning algebra and nothing else is fucking pointless, AND dangerous considering the X-Men attract so much danger. And it doesn't seem like they ever graduate or leave, so you just have dead weight everywhere.

Its not a safe haven because they are arguable worse off, and it completely ruins the point. They don't ever have to live in the world.

It would make more sense if Xavier's was some kind of foster home for runaway mutants and/or research institution for all things mutant instead of an educational institute that doesn't do anything except train a not-so-covert mutant response team.

Actually they've had a few graduating classes over the years and its an credited private school. Students who while mutants neither want nor have powers fit for combat.

>Students who while mutants neither want nor have powers fit for combat.

It would make much more sense for another school to have this purpose. Literally having the home and base for the X-Men do it is counterproductive.

But that wouldn't make an interesting book, I suppose, so cram it all in one.

To study what? How to kill flatscans?
Sentinels were right

I imagined it more of a camp where special people are rounded up

That's Hitlerclops' way, Storm's school is all for peaceful coexistence and hugging under rainbows.

The O5 mostly graduated with the education necessary to go to college and get real jobs, with the exception of Scott who never figured out how to get a life, most of them originally didn't want to stay X-Men for the rest of their lives, they just kept getting dragged back into it.

That's the whole problem with the way Marvel has treated the Mutants corner of the universe ever since Decimation. They've just completely abandoned any illusion of being a metaphor for civil rights and being able to integrate and get social acceptance, now it's always with the "last of a dying separate species" bullshit

Remember when Magneto was the bad guy for thinking mutants having an island all to themselves like Genosha or Asteroid M was the only solution?

We send our IRL tards to IRL schools though

Base is in bottom restricted area well below ground and to detection (to varying degrees of usefulness depending on the comic story)

Sounds cool, I'm a mutant, where are they located, and how do I get there?

What if it's a meta commentary, like in, "you cannot ever achieve anything in your life".

That would be bretty depp

Genosha seemed to work quite well until Magneto gets all Hitlery and it goes to shit.

Genosha seemed to work quite well, until Morrison decided to nuke it.

But the X-Men are rather public, as is Xavier's affiliation with them. Not many secret identities there either.

So naturally the fucking "Xavier school" is the first place the enemies will go, and its happened a million times over the past years.

Which is why teens with non combative powers being there is all kinds of stupid.

Actually, your average strawman marvel citizen thought that it was a "special" school for "special" people, if you know what I mean. Frankly, I stopped caring about logic in capes. No, I don't read indies.

Morrison also added way more of the freakish looking mutants when originally they were supposed to generally be able to blend in, with exceptions like Nightcrawler and the Morlocks. The "They could be anyone" aspect of it was something they used to push.

Then Aaron took it to comical levels with mutants being visual gags.

How do you figure it fucked the franchise? You mean by introducing too many mutants, which had to be corrected by HoM/No More Mutants?

>"this popular modern author sucks, I'm into old stuff you wouldn't understand"
>calling other people hipsters

If you think there are too many mutants, don't write them, don't create them. Don't cripple an entire franchise, because you want to boost avengers.

The X-Men aren't NEETs. NEET means "Not in Education, Employment, or Training", and the X-Men were in training...to be X-Men.

Training to be a private paramilitary force is weird, I'll grant you, but it's training nonetheless.

>cherrypicking
Only teenager would draw such a conclusion.
I read old stuff, because it appeals better to me.
And yeah, I don't like most of modern authors, as they lack the craft of storytelling.

Spurrier is the exception. And to some point Spencer was, don't know what happened to him. Gillen would be great if not for his pretentiousness.

>and the X-Men were in training...to be X-Men.
shit, you got me. They weren't NEETs, they were NEEs

It turned the Mansion into a 'safe haven' for all mutants. Cluttered everything to a ridiculous degree. And it stopped the idea of mutants actually living in the world. They just all go to Xaviers. HoM only made it worse, even after taking away mutants.

It never mattered how many there were. The key was always there was an unknown amount out there in the world that we've yet to see. The idea of actually being able track all known mutants is ridiculous.

In Claremonts time the X-Men would go outside, visit the world and meet new people or new mutants that we never knew about.

>projecting

Got that backwards, mate.

Morrison gets better the more you know about comics, because so much of his work is either referencing obscure comics history, or commenting on the nature of comics. He's (in)famous for drawing on old stuff everyone's forgotten about (like the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh) or meta-commenting on stuff like the industry tendency for reboots and big events in the middle of said events.

His stories are entertaining as stories (well, when he's trying to be entertaining and not just weird) because he's a good writer, but you get even more out of them if you have a knowledge of comics to see what he's doing.

>implying

b-buh he's popular so I have to call him shit

>because so much of his work is either referencing obscure comics history,
To each his own. he is one of these faggots who use lore that should be forgotten and abandoned, and you can't criticize him for that, because it's "canon, you filthy casual".

And you know meta-commentary can be fun at first, but later it becomes infuriating. Morrison had some good stuff, but it's very samey. He's not alone in that department, but for some reason he is revered by his mediocrity.

And like with all writes, he is past beyond his prime

He writes for DC so I hate him. He's not like Based Bendis

1/10 bait. made me reply

you sound like the most casual faggot alive

Right, so Spider-Man going black at the same time as the third movie was coming out was purely a coincidence?

Trying to cash on movie created interest is older than the MCU.

You seem angry at Morrison. Did he fuck your wife?

nice rebutall bro

but his wife is actually his tulpa?

>his
samefriend pls

Anyone has that cringey thing that Morrison wrote about him having sex with DC and it's continuity?
I remember that I barfed when I read it.

Some people like to read stories. Other want to read meta-commentaries. To each his own.

>wah I can't turn my brain off wahhh

my wife is lesbian.

>>mfw Bryan Singer started the idea of Xavier having an actual school
why it took decades and holywood for marvel to realized this idea

>that shitty comic is 2deep4u
yeah right

fr*ck you friendo

I wash my hands of your idiocy.

>I read old stuff, because it appeals better to me.
>And yeah, I don't like most of modern authors, as they lack the craft of storytelling.

>seriously guys im not a hipster faggot

Why do I have to like Morrison? He sucks.
His comics pretend to be smart, but they are very weak self-masturbatory crap.

they have job, it called xavier men

Wut? Link?

in his defense he didn't know how old he was because Xavier wiped his mind, and his mutant power appeared to be being a grizzled mountain man

>implying morrison is not for hipster faggots
duuuuude

Still, he was a drunkard, he smelled badly, and he went berserk easily. But maybe Xavier kept him as a pet?

Logan worked as hired gun

samefaggot

Magneto finally defeats Xavier by phoning in an anonymous complaint the New York State Department of Education.

The school is investigated and subsequently shut down for its shocking lack of education of its "students" and the constant danger it puts them in. Xavier goes to prison for fraud and child endangerment.

samefaggot

He's really not. In many ways he's the anti-hipster.

The hallmark of the hipster is irony. They don't enjoy things, they ironically pretend to enjoy things. Morrison has always been about complete sincerity. He genuinely loves comics, and his use of obscure and meta stuff is an expression of that love.

Yor embarasing youreself

saved

its out of character for mag