I'm just excited for live action New Gods, Sup Forums

I'm just excited for live action New Gods, Sup Forums.

>New Gods on movie!
>by Snyder
Yep, monkey paw.

>bringing christ symbolism to the next level

Man, I hope we'll get Mister Miracle and Big Barda.

Nevermind that Snyder is incapable of grasping the themes of the New Gods, what we've seen of Mother Boxes in BvS makes it seem like he doesn't grasp the aesthetic either.

>He genuinely won't be able to decide if Orion, Scott or Superman is Jesus.

And if we go with Lex, Mother Boxes go DING. Four letters and he fucked it up.

>new gods movie
>directed by snyder
>constantly uses christian god symbolism and imagery

>the themes of the new gods
user pls it's Kirby not Shakespeare.
>Nixon bad
>hippies good

>hey guys you want to talk about some live action DC stuff
>BOY OH BOY HOW I HATE ZACK SYNDER LETS TALK ABOUT HIM NON-STOP CAUSE WE'RE FROM Sup Forums

Get used to it. Sup Forums is dead.

Hey, if New Gods showed up in their own movie, I'd talk about it. But since they're tied to Snyder...
But is it buried?

please go

If you don't like talking about Snyder that much why don't you just go back in time, infiltrate WB as a high level executive and make Snyder do a good movie?

I think that's a fair deal

It won't be the same without Jimmy Olsen...

>make Snyder do a good movie?
He always does, though.

>said no one

Scott is Jesus

LIAR!

It's been buried but is not dead

I'd be surprised if we get anything more than Darkseid and maybe one or two of his lackeys.

>New gods
>not using Judeo-christian imagery
Really user? New gensis? Highfather waving around a Shepard's crook? New Gods are basically swimming in Judeo-christian symbolism.

The New Gods are terrible, I think. They should be left behind.
I mean, Jesus, look at the names of the people in Darkseid's crew. They're just so terrible. DeSade? Really?
The otherside is marginally better, but you still have the Highmormon and literally a black guy on skis as their version of Death.

Yes, it's Jack Kirby. But even legends make duds.

I don't think there's an actor alive who could say "Granny Goodness" with a straight face.

I'm genuinely upset they killed off Jimmy.. The actor was perfect. I knew it was Jimmy the moment he started taking pictures.

ür pleb

>implying Jimmy didn't ascend to new genesis.

Muslim here.
There is only one god, this is an outrage to our religion of peace.
Comic jews will die for this.

>The otherside is marginally better, but you still have the Highmormon and literally a black guy on skis as their version of Death.
Compared to a chrome guy on a surf board

Jokes on you. I don't believe in Gods.

>What's a God to a non-believer

>New Gods thread
>OP isn't even Kirby art.
This fucking board is pure shit.

>It won't make a good movie, it's shit.

This is how we judge comics now.

>talk about a movie
>surprised people have an opinion on the director

Just because you're happy to suck down any shit that has your favorite characters in it doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

OP's thread is literally about live action Fourth World, you mong

It's still shit in comic form. The only characters that aren't lame are ones that cut as many ties to the originals as possible. That should tell you something.

Meh, I like the Endless better for your anthropomorphic personification of eternal forces.

Have some art, user.
Also, is it me or Kirby's Apokolips is kinda happier place?

>implying Walt Simonson isn't up there with Kirby when it comes to New Gods writers

>always

I can respect people who like his Dawn of the Dead or 300 or even Watchmen, even if I don't agree.

But if you think Sucker Punch is good, you have legitimate brain problems.

I'm excited how bad Snyder can fuck them up after the excuses for motherboxes and steppenwolf in that deleted BVS scene

Well, surely it's a FUN place.

I don't think Kirby ever really meant them to be anything like how Morrison has interpreted them tbqh.

>YFW DC namedrops Kirby before Marvel

>implying shooting jimmy would stop him

remember when he was transformed into a girl in Man of Steel and a Black Dude in Supergirl??

Death is just another transformation. He'll be back

>you will never be this pimp

>that issue when Darkseid gets all his people to watch him kill Mister Miracle
Apokolips, planet where fun is.
Didn't movie Doctor Strange beat them to that?

Probably not completely, but at the same time they were supposed to be gods, thus embodying the concept they were tied to. They weren't just super powered aliens.

Maybe. I don't remember. Plus did Kirby have much to do with Dr.Strange??

Someone posts a resturant from one of the movies that's named Kirby's...so I guess they did it first anyway. They are just really obvious with Stan Lee (well obviously he's alive)

kek, Marvel's been putting even writers and artists who were just important to the development of characters in the credits to their movies while John Broome was just the name of a bar in the background of Green Lantern.

Say what you will about the company itself, the Marvel film department has been doing a good job of giving credit to their creators. DC/Warner Bros only started catching up with MoS and BvS

Kirby has nothing to do with him but it's odd, anyway.
That restaurant IS from Strange, right? I didn't mix things up?

Yeah, Walt wrote a badass Thor, of course he can write a badass New Gods

I think Simonson was a better writer than Kirby, to be frank. Kirby was a great artist and idea man but wasn't the best self-editor.

Really? I always got that "gods" was just a fancy name to make them seem alien to us.

I swear I've seen an interview where Kirby says that Orion's astro-force is just like Thor's hammer, but in a form that matches the modern age.

There also was a comment in the introduction of the Black Racer (don't know if Kirby did that issue or not) where other "avatars" or "hosts", I can't remember the word used, for the Black Racer are described as existing.

So yeah, the whole Platonic concept thing Morrison has going isn't necessarily how Kirby envisioned them, and but I tend to prefer Morrison's view nowadays, because even gods get punched out all the time in comics, and I miss the scheming and the use of mortal pawns that Kirby used in his stories, often missing from New God stuff now.

Well, if Kirby had got his wishes they actually would've been the new form of Asgardian characters in Marvel. There are images from a Ragnorak storyline in Thor that looks almost identical to the image in the first page of New Gods #1, with the old world of gods being destroyed.

But that kind of adds to my point, Kirby's Thor run was nothing like anything Morrison's works with The Fourth World characters.

No, they're literally divine.
Which makes the Nazis in WW2 divinely inspired.
And the man who invented skis? Well he was actually a death worshipper.
Marquis De Sade? Well, his proclivities were some what inevitable given his title.

This is why they really bother me. Immortal timeless gods.
But they look like and are named after things on Earth

But they weren't immortal and they weren't timeless.

This is literally said in the first pages of the first New Gods issue.

>Kirby's colorful characters in Snyder filter
why god why

That may have been true then, but it's not now.
They keep being reborn again and again

Kirby made them to reflect modern things. Rather than fly with a chariot or hammer, Orion has a sci-fi looking harness. Likewise with other things. They were supposed to be a modern style mythology, rather than ancient style mythology.

Gods yes but I don't like it when Fourth world is treated out to be the the only Cosmic setting to worry about.

Same. I'd prefer if all the gods in DC were at the same level, ish.

That was implied with the 90s stuff about Darkseid getting the Greek/Roman pantheon split to happen, but never really followed up on.

Have the heads of the Pantheons be super powerful, like Darkseid and Highfather are, and then have the rest be more like superhero style characters. That'd be the best of both worlds to me.

can I have recommended New Gods reading, Sup Forums?

Kirby's works
Simonson's works

The only good ones that are *just* Fourth World stories. Morrison's stuff is good too but veers off from Kirby's original vision and is part of a much large meta-narrative.

I'm going through the list myself, actually. Just getting started with Rock of Ages.

p/s 60s Kirby writing was a bit of a chore to read

70s sorry

There's one thing missing from this. In the 90s there was a Fourth World series by Byrne (which was mediocre) that had backups by Simonson (which were great). I don't recommend the Byrne series by itself but the backups are fantastic reads.

Mr. Miracle stuff should be on that list, I enjoyed Highfather coming to visit his son and daughter-in-law on Earth and getting into silly escapades.

I also didn't really like Rock of Ages for some reason, and I'm normally a Morrisonfag

Also, now that I think about it, Kirby's Thor run isn't essential for obvious reasons but it's highly recommended for anybody who likes Kirby's New Gods works.

Also, fun fact: Even Kirby didn't know how the term Fourth World came up to describe these characters.

Kirby was the master of random shit that sounds cool

dude, the point was never that Superman is jesus (the death and rebirth thing is a classic part of the hero's journey), its that the people fucking view him as jesus (plus there were plenty of references to other sun gods) or a god like being and that he has to carry that baggage with him.

that was a father box though

if you listened, the "dings" of the bell became "pings" of the mother/fatherbox by the end of Luthor's rambling

that wasnt steppenwolf dummy, it was Darkseid's father

I would have really like to visit a parallel universe where Kirby got to do the new gods thing with Thor like he wanted

(Though there would probably be better uses of a device that allows me to travel to parallel universes

>I don't think there's an actor alive who could say "Granny Goodness" with a straight face.

The most celebrated action movie of last year had characters in it named "Rictus Erectus", "Immortan Joe" and "Organic Mechanic." Granny Goodness works just fine.

In fact, Fury Road was probably the closest I think we've ever gotten to Kirby's style of energy and neurotic motion translated on screen. If they gave Miller the New Gods to work with he would shit out a fucking masterpiece.