So Sup Forums

So Sup Forums...
You're not all underage right?

No? Good. Let's discuss the ending to the best horror movie ever created.
John Carpenter's "The Thing"

Was Childs the The Thing?

Sup Forums*
Fuck well that's one way to derail my own thread.

yep

Childs was the thing at the end. Now, some idiots will tell you it's because you can't see his breath, or that he drank oil, both of which are completely wrong and stupid theories by people who just want to look smart. The real way to tell is by paying attention to Childs' characterization and the sequence of events.

He was guarding the exterior door by himself and looked like he was about to fall asleep. The next time we see the door, it's wide open and Childs is gone. He's the most cautious and paranoid character in the movie, there's no way he'd run off into the storm by himself because he saw Blair, especially because Blair was actually down in the generator room at the time.

All signs point to yes. It just makes sense for him to be the thing for the ending to work and have impact

>Let's discuss the ending to the best horror movie ever created.
>John Carpenter's "The Thing"
It was deliberately made ambiguous.

Anyone think this movie is a bit overrated on Sup Forums?

Sure its a great and entertaining movie and one of the better ones of the horror genre. But 10/10 masterpiece my favorite movie ever level? Seems too much

Yeah, we only have this thread three times a week. We should start another one.
gasoline
earring
breath
eat my ass

Does Sup Forums actually talk about it a lot?
I'm not going to lie, I don't visit this board all that much so I wasn't aware that it got so much praise here.

Found the plebeian!

>Anyone think this movie is a bit overrated on Sup Forums?
No.

Oh my fucking God, get the fuck out of here. Crossboarding goddamn scum.
>You're not all underage right?
I want to crucify you.

>Sup Forums
>the thing
>asks others if they're a child

The Thing is a top 10 for sure, maybe pushing top 5, but I can't give it better than that.

For me, it's:
1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
2. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
3. The Shining (1980)
4. Alien
5. Psycho (1960)

Note: of all the major classics, I've never seen The Exorcist. Does it stand up?

>I've never seen The Exorcist
>admitting this on Sup Forums like it's okay
What the fuck is happening to this board.

It does, but not as well as the Exorcist II.
Now THAT is a master piece

No.
There are too many contradictions for Childs to be The Thing.
A human would make mistakes like that, but The Thing wouldn't, especially when it has more than enough time to be thorough.

I don't have the time in my life to view literally every film, unfortunately. I also haven't regularly browsed this board since around 2011 because it's now full of children, Marvel and other such drivel.

That's a solid list

Welcome to the board summerfag. Remember to never reveal your age here, it's an 18+ website.

I cannot stop loling holy shit.
This guy is crucifying my sides.

The eurocucks haven't woken up yet to start shitposting, so people are actually talking about movies.

Are you retarded? There's nothing wrong with not having seen every single "classic" there is. I'm sure you've missed some too bud

>But 10/10 masterpiece my favorite movie ever level?
>tfw when one of these people

It doesn't really matter. What matters is the horrible thought that Kurt Russell will spend the rest of his life wondering if Keith David is a monster a not.

>tfw when

>like a dozen redditfrog threads up
guess it's the australians then

i don't think childs is the thing but im pretty sure he's a nigga because at one he had a blue coat but when he showed up he had a white / beige one so chances are he devolved to his primitive ways and stole that.
i can't prove anything though so if i'm wrong then i'll accept the consequences but the evidence seems to point in that direction IMO anybody else agree?

Tbh the ending where he is the thing is much better so I'll just accept that one

Not sure if it matters but I believe the coats hanging on the wall were all rearranged after Childs leaves that room.

Fucking try me faggot. ANY film fan worth their salt has seen The Exorcist. And if you have a top five list of horror films, you have no right to ever present it if you have not seen one of the premier titles of the genre.
>I like movies about adventurous archaeologists, but I have never seen Raiders
that's how stupid you sound
> t. reddit

Not wasting your time with a massive critical and financial flop all because the REDACTED remarketed it as a "cult classic" doesn't make you underaged, it just makes you not a massive fucking retard who eats up whatever their television tells them to. If anything liking this overly gory tripe makes you underaged like soooo ebin alien blood and guts lmao. No fuck off back to Sup Forums kiddo you're not allowed here.

It's 10:30 here you yankee fuck

The Exorcist aged like sour milk. It was okay for its time, but seriously stop making it sound like the Citizen Kane of horror.
>you can't be in my secret club if you haven't seen _____
Thats fucking retarded.
Its like saying you can't talk about westerns if you haven't seen any John Wayne movies.

Now listen here you little shit. I came all the way to this board to discuss a fucking classic and I will not have you or any of your other Sup Forums sperg lords besmirch John Carpenters work ever again while I'm here. You've been warned.

I'm the original guy. Even though you are one of those literal children I was complaining about, the reason I stopped frequenting this board, I'll explain something very simple and obvious to you.

All films are not created equal. I don't particularly enjoy Ghost films, and I've seen very few but Exorcism films don't particularly interest me either, hence having spend my time watching films other than The Exorcist.

I think any rational and reasonable person can assume and understand people tend to watch films they know they will enjoy. Hence the simularities between those in my top 5.

I can guarantee you haven't seen every film I have. What is "essential" viewing is completely debatable (and a stupid idea anyway). I just can't prove it as I'm sure you're more than willing to lie.

>not under fascist rule
>has the gall to insult his liberators

Once upon a time i'd defend Carpenters' shit to the death, but goddamn his recent stuff is fucking garbage, as well as him letting people remake and completley fuck up his older shit that was fine as it was.

The Thing is a massive pile of _____

>you can't talk about westerns if you haven't seen any John Wayne movies.
That's completely fucking true. You are not equipped with a wide enough breadth or deep enough understand of the genre to pass an opinion. What kind of shit is this? John Wayne had an irreversible impact on the genre as an icon, he shaped Westerns for almost fifty years as an actor. He still does with his legacy. You are not equipped to enter into a conversation about Westerns if you haven't seen a John Wayne movie, FACT.

No one is upset by this anymore. Really. Flagrant taunting by crossboarders. No one cares?

Neatness

Is there any organism that could realistically stop the Thing?

What a sad little cunt this guy must be.

He comes to a television & film board and gets butthurt when people espouse opinions about television & film.

>The Exorcist aged like sour milk. It was okay for its time
>but seriously stop making it sound like the Citizen Kane of horror.
When are people going to realise that's exactly the case of Citizen Kane? It was so great for its time, but it hasn't ages well either.

The blob would beat the thing in a fight because the blob has no cells to assimilate and the thing would melt on contact with it

>there's no way he'd run off into the storm by himself because he saw Blair, especially because Blair was actually down in the generator room at the time.

But if he saw Blair then it would not be Blair and actually the thing, therefore he'd want to go kill it

Pure cinematic genius.

in fact Mac specifically told Childs that if he saw Blair that he should burn him, so your shit don't fly

Was killing Clark murder?

Why did no one pick up on:
>It ain't Fuchs

self defense

It's literally impossible to put a correct timestamp on sequences/events/assimilations because the movie is made in such manner it deliberately leaves multiple options/possibilities/theories for basically - everything. Check the FAQ on IMDB for total madness, the movie impossible to solve as a puzzle, it's been 35 years ffs and no one has figured it out, all we have is fan-fictioning.

not disagreeing with you, just expanding on your point, the movie is good not because it's a fucking incomprehensible mess but because it's well crafted ambiguity, take this shot where it's established there is an extra coat identical to Child's, it's the attention to detail that's masterful

Another Thing?

Any creature that can control its own cells or has some sort of way of shielding itself from touch at all times.

Really it depends on how little Thing is needed to absorb/turn into someone. Can it infect someone with a single cell? It seems like it needs at least a critical mass at some level to maintain cohesion.

the cellular animation makes it clear, IMO, that the thing only requires one cell to take over the entire organism

make it infect someone with cancer then

If that was the case, it would have just infected the food/water supplies and sat back.
The fact that it didn't, combined with the fact that it's clearly sapient, means that it almost certainly couldn't.

>best horror movie
>the thing

kek, come on, even as a kid I laughed at it.
It's no wonder the audience and critics alike hated the movie when it came out.

As with cancer, a single cell would take a long time to take over the entire host at normal rates of reproduction, same with flu and most viruses. The thing had to forcefully assimilate the others because they were hunting it down, by the time they were fully infected they'd have killed xim.

It's the best horror movie to me, but that doesn't mean it's literally the best. My opinion =/= reality, nor does yours, but it may reflect it

They only found out about it due to a violent assimilation, though.

easy explanation for that, biomass. In the form of a dog it had about 50 to 70 pounds of biomass, a critically bad situation. It had to assimilate the dogs rapidly to grow.

Because the dogs revealed it. Until it was put in the kennel, it had already successfully assimilated someone, it obviously saw no need to "forcefully/violently" assimilate them. The Thing did have intelligence on par with humans.

But it had all the time in the world.
The dogs knew something was up, but the humans thought it was just another dog, or at worst a bit of a weird dog.
it's one thing for them to know it's not a normal dog, but quite another to then burn it on a hunch.
Even after the initial attack, it wasn't until Bennings that they realised the extent of what it could do.

It could have infected the entire base with nobody knowing and escaped with ease.

>not underage
>the thing is the best horror movie ever created
Why don't we also talk about the greatest action movie of all time, John Wick? Or the greatest science-fiction movie, Dredd?

It's easily the most overrated movie on this board. I like John Carpenter but this movie's treatment is sickening.

The fact that it's smart and can speak english and norwegian implies a brain, some percentage of it's body mass has to be a brain, the rest can be turned into random shit. At 70 kg the thing is critically low on biomass, there's no reason for it to remain wounded when it has a room full of meat.

IIRC there are two shots of that door and coats, but confusing part is FEW coats missing/rearranged and the boots rearranged.

True and I think TT set out with that as the plan.
What throws the monkey wrench into it all is that each Thing is it's own individual self, so to me it seems like the Dog and the Norris/Palmer Things were happy to just cruise at their own pace and being unexpectedly thrown in with the dogs that could sense it made it reveal itself resulting in for the most part, the other Things becoming more aggressive.

>At 70 kg the thing is critically low on biomass
From what I recall, nothing in the movie indicates that it couldn't have sustained itself on that.
The bennings scene indicated that it's fully capable of abstract thought, so the fact that it's surrounded by potential sustenance should have no bearing on its decision.

What about the massive hybrid at the end? How did it accumulate all that biomass?

Dog thing infected Palmer/Norris so they'd know the score. Bennings was infected by (if you count the prequel) a Norwegian/American cross so wouldn't be in on what's happening.

I'm not stating that based on intra-film evidence, just biologically speaking, there's a basic brain size to body size ratio that has to be maintained, a dog sized creature with a human sized brain is not sustainable

>tfw this movie's main twist got spoiled because you speak Norwegian

Well how big is each individual thing? What or how much/many thing cells need to congregate to form a single thing capable of containing a brain and not simply following basic instincts of survival.

Some swede in a previous thread translated it for us, but I can't be assed to dig that deep into the archives or use a quick google search, so what does he say, again?

meant for

He said that the wolf was the thing

My headcanon is that it's like a tumor. There's an Alpha-Thing, the dog, which contains the sentient thoughts of the thing, it infects the crew by licking them initially then attempts to feed itself on the dogs.

The infected do not know they are thing, if your hand becomes replaced by thing cells, the cells are identical, they dont notice the process. However Alpha-thing still has to absorb them otherwise they're just doppelgangers of their former selves.

Can the thing turn back into the person he previously assimilated?

IIRC, it's along the lines of
>That thing is not a Dog, you idiots.

ahahah

Duh nigga

Like, could he turn back into a dog after assimilating a human?

of course, it's a shapeshifter

It's ambiguous for a reason. The not knowing who is infected is a recurring theme throughout the movie and where all of the horror comes from. Would be such a wet ending if Childs sprouted face testicles and MacReady killed him"

That said yeah Childs is infected.

ehm

That's actually a pretty good theory.
Mine is essentially what i've already posted. The cells bond together and persue anything they sense to be a viable host then attack. If the mass is big enough they gain sentience, otherwise continue on with the basic instinct of survival until they can reach more mass. Depending on what occurs next the thing adapts, growing bigger and dealing with threats until it's achieved its goals.

Yeah the makeshift flying saucer means there's a continuity of conscious "things" that maintained the knowledge of the spaceship. That level of information can't be transmitted by a single cell so there had to be at least one Alpha-thing continuously from the space crash to the film that maintained that knowledge.

Have you seen the prequel? What did you think?

The "Alpha-Thing" theory is retarded desu senpai.

Neither of them were the thing.

I liked it

Childs is not the thing.
It's explained in the video game.

Not really. How would you explain the fact it knew how to create a saucer? Blair didn't unless the thing that infected him did, which would have to have been an unseen thing which opens up a whole other shitcan of questions

>So Sup Forums...
>You're not all underage right?

Of course they are. They play video games.